2019072395160205 (resized).jpg
C918ACC2-18F5-4101-B225-2B69C2DC3BCF (resized).jpeg
girl_logo2 (resized).png
bunch_of_fing_amateurs.gif
IMG_3762 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3760 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3759 (resized).jpeg
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I agree with what you've stated here. I think pulling off manufacturing is really damn impressive, and the build quality looks solid from afar! I still don't get Dirty Donny's art. I'm glad he has work, but man....it seems more like high school doodles than slick linework.
I wish Jack Davis had gotten into game art 30 years ago.
I really want to check this out in person!

Wes, you will absolutely get the opportunity as we have paid in full for Cosmic Carnival for Helicon Brewing. If it holds up, I don't even care about the earnings, this will be at Starport and our private collection at Voodoo Brewing in Homestead.

Let's see how it goes. Good luck Suncoast.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Criticism of multi-thousand dollar luxury toys is not “negativity”. The critiques are based on facts. If something is built faulty, designed faulty, packed faulty - it’s not about “money and space”. It’s about speaking the truth about a very expensive product... it’s welcome and necessary & should not be shamed. Pinball manufacturers are skating by with shoddy product because for some reason buyers don’t have standards anymore. Those who critique are holding up a mirror to the truth, and are to be commended.

Not to disagree but you don't feel its "negativity" to critique a game only One person has?? Yes they had some shipping materials issues but come on its a box! Pretty sure they can fix the Minor issues (which they Have) and I absolutely didn't expect perfection. Honestly I had to hunt and nitpick details just to find issues which is rather impressive for NEW pinball manufacturer in my opinion. No this game won't be for everyone but thats the nice thing about pinball, its personal and we invest in what we enjoy not what others Tell us is good. Based on what was shared I find it hard to in any way negatively judge Suncoast? No matter What game is made or How its made there is Always something they could have done different. ALL games! I and guests that have come over to play it have enjoyed it and thats all I could ask for.

#53 4 years ago

When you get a chance, give us a rundown on what the code and the gameplay is like now that it's shipping. The videos I've seen previously, it seemed pretty spartan, mainly from the screen communicating very little to the player about what was going on. I didn't get the impression they were achieving or being rewarded very much and the game was rather grudgingly going 'pffft whatever, have some points' a lot.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

When you get a chance, give us a rundown on what the code and the gameplay is like now that it's shipping. The videos I've seen previously, it seemed pretty spartan, mainly from the screen communicating very little to the player about what was going on. I didn't get the impression they were achieving or being rewarded very much and the game was rather grudgingly going 'pffft whatever, have some points' a lot.

Ok I like the pfft whatever to funny lol. Yeah, the game code at this point is in desperate need of additional call outs and noticeable strategy no doubt. My guess is they were rather committed to meeting their personal goal to get this game rolling by June as they stated but I don't have any fears they are not committed to finishing the code. As I said they make it clear the code is prototype at this point and the owner even made it a point to let me know that to manage expectations. In my view if they can tie the software and code to this shooter a bit more they will have a winner. I think as a smaller company they just need more time which I have. (I think??) I am glad to take this journey with Suncoast and suspect it will all be worth it.

#55 4 years ago

Congrats to the Suncoast team for shipping games! It's so very hard to get games out the door... doing so is a major accomplishment. Good job, y'al!

My question is around the inner loop shots... in the videos that I've seen of Cosmic Carnival gameplay, these shots seem amorphous, in that a ball shot through the inner orbit without max speed renders the shot void. It seems many of these shots just dribble into the pops. Is that the intended behavior?

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Congrats to the Suncoast team for shipping games! It's so very hard to get games out the door... doing so is a major accomplishment. Good job, y'al!
My question is around the inner loop shots... in the videos that I've seen of Cosmic Carnival gameplay, these shots seem amorphous, in that a ball shot through the inner orbit without max speed renders the shot void. It seems many of these shots just dribble into the pops. Is that the intended behavior?

Not sure if they changed something but I find the inner loop from both sides very spot on even with a minimal effort shot. Very smooth. Definitely need to stay on your toes when it comes around as it (similar to SW) comes back fast. Love it.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not to disagree but you don't feel its "negativity" to critique a game only One person has??

You yourself literally pointed out all the messed up things about it. Which is great, I commend you for telling the truth about the experience. First impressions mean a lot on an item this expensive. Nothing negative about assessing the reality of an expensive toy when there are other expensive toys out there that don’t have those issues.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You yourself literally pointed out all the messed up things about it. Which is great, I commend you for telling the truth about the experience. First impressions mean a lot on an item this expensive. Nothing negative about assessing the reality of an expensive toy when there are other expensive toys out there that don’t have those issues.

Fair enough and respect your opinion just an observation that the packing material was the primary fail and as luck would have it that all goes to the dump! Lol. So a few more visitors and both are set to place an order with Zach at FlipNoutpinball. Good sign in my view as it’s more then my opinion.

#59 4 years ago

To me if it were set at a low run for exclusivity, then thats the only way it holds value & prestige.
Delete art from any game, the shots make or break any game.

#60 4 years ago

Congrats on a sweet looking new game!

Man, Dirty Donny just does the most amazing work!

I love his distinctive style, it's nowhere near generic enough to slap on just any game, but when it works, it's friggin' amazing!

#61 4 years ago

Defining what success looks like:
This is a great looking game and an awesome first game attempt at that. I think a succesful lineup in any home environment is variety. This is one of those "easy" pins. Not a great many deal of things to shoot at, easy to start modes etc and the non pinhead can have a blast playing. Now, from an operators stand point success is measured by cash in the box. This theme will draw people in for sure. She's a looker! Like a house, if it doesnt have curb appeal you're screwed. So who plays the most pinball in public is the real question. Is it more pinheads or non?
To an average Joe like myself, if you want to see how succesful a pin is doing just watch how many come up for sale (used) in the next couple of months. Pinheads tend to not hold onto turds and need the cash for the next pin. If I didn't already have an easy type pin in my collection (Funhouse) I'd probably give this one a spin.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

if you want to see how succesful a pin is doing just watch how many come up for sale (used) in the next couple of months.

Is this really a good way to measure anymore? With so many different titles coming out now I see/hear a lot of people selling games they really like to buy the next new title. With all the new titles a lot of people don’t have the money to keep buying or they don’t t have the room to keep adding games so they give up titles they like not necessarily cause it’s not a something they don’t like.

#63 4 years ago

I am going to keep this short, not going into to much detail because I only got 8 games on it!

Dave was kind enough to let me play the game 2 days ago and its a really fun shooting game. The art package is amazing and its what you would expect for Dirty Donny, but stepping it up to another level. The powder coating is insanely sick and well done and nice addition vs. the typical black trim. As Dave has mentioned, there are a few things that needs to be changed that will make it easier to turn on and operate, understanding that this is a prototype. Game shipped with prototype code and the modes all seem to be there along with a few bugs. At this time the game is very tough, but the Suncoast team is working to make the code a lot easier for beginners. In regards to animation and call outs, code is very early and have no doubt they will be adding more to round out this game. As a first machine, I am surprised at the build quality, design, art package and how they tied everything together to make a cool campy space themed pinball machine. There are some minor details to be looked at, which have already been passed along and I am sure they will address. I did not attend Texas pinball festival and heard mixed reviews and did not have high expectations before I played the game. Quite surprised. Great job Suncoast ! We will be a distributor for them in Illinois and hope to have one on the showroom floor very soon so people can try it out before they buy site unseen.

GAP
www.greatamericanpinball.com

girl_logo2 (resized).pnggirl_logo2 (resized).png
#64 4 years ago

We look forward to working with Suncoast Pinball as well and have joined forces with them to be their distributor in North Texas.

We are now taking pre-orders as well for Cosmic Carnival. If anyone would like to put an order in with us, give us a call at 972-488-9622 ext 202.

FUN! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore
www.pinballandmore.com

C918ACC2-18F5-4101-B225-2B69C2DC3BCF (resized).jpegC918ACC2-18F5-4101-B225-2B69C2DC3BCF (resized).jpeg
#65 4 years ago

I really wish they had even just 1 of these at Pintastic so I could have played it. I'm in the market.

#66 4 years ago

We have signed on to be a distributor here in Tn. Ours should be on the floor very soon and excited about what this game will bring to pinball. Orders can be taken at 423-383-3825 or [email protected]

www.flipsidearcade.com

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Wes, you will absolutely get the opportunity as we have paid in full for Cosmic Carnival for Helicon Brewing. If it holds up, I don't even care about the earnings, this will be at Starport and our private collection at Voodoo Brewing in Homestead.
Let's see how it goes. Good luck Suncoast.

Looking forward to it Chris! Thanks again, as always, for getting the latest and greatest, out on your routes...ASAP!

#68 4 years ago

Flip N Out Pinball will have a fresh NEW Cosmic Carnival at this weekend’s Southern Fried Gaming Expo in Atlanta. Come by and play it and say hello! We can also take your order there. For those that can’t attend, no worries, call or message us and we will ship one right to your door.

Zach Meny
Flip N Out Pinball
[email protected]

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Looking forward to it Chris! Thanks again, as always, for getting the latest and greatest, out on your routes...ASAP!

My pleasure Wes. I'm always just as excited as everyone else about a new player in the game. Soon!!

1 week later
#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure if they changed something but I find the inner loop from both sides very spot on even with a minimal effort shot. Very smooth. Definitely need to stay on your toes when it comes around as it (similar to SW) comes back fast. Love it.

So, I'm intrigued by this game. It looks really cool and the theme is weird enough to peak my interest. Apologies if already posted, but I haven't seen any of your mods for this yet. Have a number of your Houdini mods we love and would like to see or hear what you guys are thinking. Lots of space on this one for you to add cool toys.

#71 4 years ago

Incoming to Helicon Brewing!

2019072395160205 (resized).jpg2019072395160205 (resized).jpg
#72 4 years ago

Best of luck to everyone involved, good to see this level of backing.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

I am going to keep this short, not going into to much detail because I only got 8 games on it!
Dave was kind enough to let me play the game 2 days ago and its a really fun shooting game. The art package is amazing and its what you would expect for Dirty Donny, but stepping it up to another level. The powder coating is insanely sick and well done and nice addition vs. the typical black trim. As Dave has mentioned, there are a few things that needs to be changed that will make it easier to turn on and operate, understanding that this is a prototype. Game shipped with prototype code and the modes all seem to be there along with a few bugs. At this time the game is very tough, but the Suncoast team is working to make the code a lot easier for beginners. In regards to animation and call outs, code is very early and have no doubt they will be adding more to round out this game. As a first machine, I am surprised at the build quality, design, art package and how they tied everything together to make a cool campy space themed pinball machine. There are some minor details to be looked at, which have already been passed along and I am sure they will address. I did not attend Texas pinball festival and heard mixed reviews and did not have high expectations before I played the game. Quite surprised. Great job Suncoast ! We will be a distributor for them in Illinois and hope to have one on the showroom floor very soon so people can try it out before they buy site unseen.
GAP
www.greatamericanpinball.com[quoted image]

I tried buying a game from you but nobody called me back. Sorry. Left a message and everything

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I tried buying a game from you but nobody called me back. Sorry. Left a message and everything

Mike is typically Very responsive. I Believe he just Recently signed the distributor contract with Sunshine so I suspect he simply didn't want to promote or promise anything he was not prepared to offer yet. My opinion. You could always contact Zach at Flipnout Pinball he takes calls all night! lol

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Sorry, We did not get your message. Just saw this, so sent you a PM.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Mike is typically Very responsive. I Believe he just Recently signed the distributor contract with Sunshine so I suspect he simply didn't want to promote or promise anything he was not prepared to offer yet. My opinion. You could always contact Zach at Flipnout Pinball he takes calls all night! lol

I called him about an Indiana Jones pin not about Suncoast, but I am pumped for Suncoast. Good job. They will prevail.

Mike just called FYI.

Thanks

#77 4 years ago

Thanks for posting about this game. I enjoyed reading about it.

#78 4 years ago

I do think it was a bit of a tactical error to present the gameplay vids with such early code at the time. Were there pressing deadline needs that required it?

#79 4 years ago

I do think it was a bit of a tactical error to present the gameplay vids with such early code at the time. Were there pressing deadline needs that required it?

I suspect as a company team goal they wanted to set a completion date and Achieve that goal as a positive motivation to their team. They also (for me) made it very clear to Any early adopters that the code would progress quickly over time and the choice was the buyers. No promises were made nor expected. In fact they were resistant to sell early as they wanted to show everyone what they could and will do! For me I accepted those terms after meeting the team and viewing the pieces they had in place. All teams need achievements to promote successful growth. Jon and Suncoast to me is a sure bet as long as your expectations aren’t for an instant out of box theatrical marvel. They are taking there time with the most vital aspect of the game which for me is code. I accept that and fully believe I (others) will be rewarded with the end result. If you have a small collection it might be wise to wait but am confident this company is going to make it and do very well. All opinion but they All seemed committed to succeed and I’m happy to be a customer.

#80 4 years ago

That's what matters in the end.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I suspect as a company team goal they wanted to set a completion date and Achieve that goal as a positive motivation to their team. They also (for me) made it very clear to Any early adopters that the code would progress quickly over time and the choice was the buyers. No promises were made nor expected. In fact they were resistant to sell early as they wanted to show everyone what they could and will do! For me I accepted those terms after meeting the team and viewing the pieces they had in place. All teams need achievements to promote successful growth.

This makes almost no sense.

#82 4 years ago

The fact that you can't backhand any of the shots seems like a pretty big design blunder. Any flow the game could possibly have appears to be ruined by the center of the table and the ramp placement. There is kind of a really good reason (besides backhands) that almost zero games in pinball history put the ramps at the orbits. Not sure this table can be saved by code to be honest but I wish you (and Suncoast) the best of luck!

3 weeks later
#83 4 years ago

Is the power button really on the back of the head?

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is the power button really on the back of the head?

Yes the power switch is on the back of the head. My solution was to power up thru a bluetooth outlet. Also the volume control is in the backbox. I’ve already moved it to more accessible location near coin door. Or just make sure its at the end of your line up.

#85 4 years ago

How strong are the pops on that game? There's a reason they call that inner loop 'unique' on the flyer, no experienced designer would do that and place the guide that close to the bumpers without protection; over time it's going to get massacred and ruin the shot.

1 week later
#86 4 years ago

How strong are the pops on that game? There's a reason they call that inner loop 'unique' on the flyer, no experienced designer would do that and place the guide that close to the bumpers without protection; over time it's going to get massacred and ruin the shot.

it does need an accurate shot parallel to the guide to make the shot work. If not, ball bounces and ends up bouncing around in pops.

#87 4 years ago

My volume control was inside the cabinet on the left of the coindoor. Machine #40.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

My volume control was inside the cabinet on the left of the coindoor. Machine #40.

Could you share a photo of where they put it? Mine is in the backbox. Not horrible but would make more sense by the coin door. Thanks. Also haven't checked in some time but have they done any software updates? Mine is as received months ago.

#89 4 years ago

Sure. I’ll post one tomorrow. And not sure on the code but to me it seems pretty good. Btw here is mine under my black lights tonight

01879CDF-2C5A-4B1F-B223-8FEE7554BD02 (resized).jpeg01879CDF-2C5A-4B1F-B223-8FEE7554BD02 (resized).jpeg0743AA2E-40AD-47AA-BD4B-68F5DA6D1ADB (resized).jpeg0743AA2E-40AD-47AA-BD4B-68F5DA6D1ADB (resized).jpeg09AA82CC-A0DB-4272-BBFD-E08AC85B00FD (resized).jpeg09AA82CC-A0DB-4272-BBFD-E08AC85B00FD (resized).jpeg26E7D6FF-CB64-4A48-B2C7-84034C66EABB (resized).jpeg26E7D6FF-CB64-4A48-B2C7-84034C66EABB (resized).jpeg404E170C-0FC0-4E43-BF9D-FCA5B05EC882 (resized).jpeg404E170C-0FC0-4E43-BF9D-FCA5B05EC882 (resized).jpeg7FC74804-61CF-4160-8CC5-6CED0B5A393B (resized).jpeg7FC74804-61CF-4160-8CC5-6CED0B5A393B (resized).jpegAF75190C-074D-4477-B632-FFDD675F1E1F (resized).jpegAF75190C-074D-4477-B632-FFDD675F1E1F (resized).jpeg
#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Could you share a photo of where they put it? Mine is in the backbox. Not horrible but would make more sense by the coin door. Thanks. Also haven't checked in some time but have they done any software updates? Mine is as received months ago.

155E138F-6E15-44B5-B892-5E71DBA53FDA (resized).jpeg155E138F-6E15-44B5-B892-5E71DBA53FDA (resized).jpeg
#92 4 years ago

I all but forgot about this title. Is this thing earning out in the wild?

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I all but forgot about this title. Is this thing earning out in the wild?

It is in my free play arcade and is being met with nothing but positive reviews.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

[quoted image]

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this. Will look at mine tomorrow. Looks like they just relocated the card to the lower cabinet. Fairly certain I can do that. Thanks.

#95 4 years ago

Can't you control the volume through the service menu on the game? I thought this game was using a version of skeleton game framework which has volume control in the software.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this. Will look at mine tomorrow. Looks like they just relocated the card to the lower cabinet. Fairly certain I can do that. Thanks.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Can't you control the volume through the service menu on the game? I thought this game was using a version of skeleton game framework which has volume control in the software.

Not that I found. Honestly the service menu is more a skeleton of a Casio watch at this point. Lol. Not complaining about the game but that element is basically 2 adjustments nothing more. Raw at best. Hence why I asked if there was a code update yet. Still liking the game just waiting to see some code to further judge it.

#97 4 years ago

I would contact support and ask if they would add volume control to the service menu offereings. Its certainly possible to add.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Not that I found. Honestly the service menu is more a skeleton of a Casio watch at this point. Lol. Not complaining about the game but that element is basically 2 adjustments nothing more. Raw at best. Hence why I asked if there was a code update yet. Still liking the game just waiting to see some code to further judge it.

1 week later
#98 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's a lot of loose wiring...

Thats an understatement !
When lifting playfield , be careful of wires snagging on everything in bottom of cabinet.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

[quoted image]

im disappointed that they upgraded the faulty sound board and didn’t contact me.
I had contacted them on issues about board.

1 year later
#100 3 years ago

Could someone please provide the dimensions of the apron cards for this pin?

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-suncoast-cosmic-carnival-pinball-unboxing-and-review-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.