Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should SS fans get their own forum?”

• Yes 14 votes
      78%
    • No 4 votes
      22%

(18 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tech.jpg
    subforums.jpg
    1212-LOC-ARTWALK-JDG.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I know I only have one chance to make my case. Here goes:

Everyone else has a place to post. The EM guys have the "EM hangout". The DMD guys have 10 different subforums under "Game Manufacturers". Heck, even the flipperless guys have a home now under "Electro-Mechanical" (which is awesome!).

So where is the home for us 80's fanatics? I'll tell you: huddled together around a barrel of lit rags and newspapers in "All Clubs". For example:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-club
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-owners-club-sharpshooters-welcome

Now I know someone will say, "Hey, DMDs are solid state too!" But guess what? They're also Electro-Mechanical! I think everyone knows that "Solid State" means "Solid State pins made before the invention of DMDs". We're not asking for sub-subforums for "Seven Segment" and "Alphanumeric"; we are not that picky. Just give us this:

Solid State
    --> SS Hangout
    --> SS Tech

Then all the SS tribes can gather under one roof. Yes, even Allied Leisure! Come on Pinside, give us an early Christmas present.

1212-LOC-ARTWALK-JDG.jpg1212-LOC-ARTWALK-JDG.jpg

#2 9 years ago

( ((follow) )

#3 9 years ago

I don't go to any sub-forums. If it's not on the main page I don't see it. Who's got time for that?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I don't go to any sub-forums. If it's not on the main page I don't see it. Who's got time for that?

Then how did you see this post? It's posted under "Pinside > Feature Requests".

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

The things shown on the front page only come from user selected sub forums which, in fact, help to optimize your valuable time.

#6 9 years ago

subforums.jpgsubforums.jpg
    #7 9 years ago

Isn't pretty much everything after 1978 solid state? Maybe each decade should have a subforum as I don't see any special ones for 90s DMD games.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Isn't pretty much everything after 1978 solid state? Maybe each decade should have a subforum as I don't see any special ones for 90s DMD games.

odin, that's like a kid asking why there's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, but no Children's Day. Every day is Children's Day.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Every day is Children's Day.

OK. Then I want a metal 2 inch flipper bat Williams games sub-forum...dad...

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Then how did you see this post? It's posted under "Pinside > Feature Requests".

I guess Feature Requests show up on my front page? So then maybe SS would too? I guess I don't see a particular reason for sub-forums.

Hope you get it, though.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I guess Feature Requests show up on my front page? So then maybe SS would too? I guess I don't see a particular reason for sub-forums.
    Hope you get it, though.

Look to the left of the page when you get to forums. See all those check marks? you don't want to see feature requests, uncheck it. EM stuff? Uncheck. Transportation? Uncheck. SS machines? Etc...

#12 9 years ago

I see no point in another general SS forum. There's already an Early SS forum, alphanumeric forum, modern.... Use one of those.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I see no point in another general SS forum. There's already an Early SS forum, alphanumeric forum, modern.... Use one of those.

Aren't those tech forums?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

So we're only allowed to talk about our games when they're broken?

Tech.jpgTech.jpg
    #15 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Hope you get it, though.

Cody Cody Cody. It works like this: if I want to read a sub-forum, I click on it, then I only see what's in the subforum. Get it?

#16 9 years ago

Actually a "SS->Tech" subforum would be redundant. Just give us an "SS Hangout".

#17 9 years ago

Ya know, if this subforum thing doesn't work out for you, you could always start a thread something like-
    "Some nice looking solid state classics just came up on craigslist"
    instead of the usual CL sucks threads, then it may just take on a life of it's own.
    You have my blessing.

#18 9 years ago

I have been saying for years that all early solid state games should be ranked in their own unique "top" list by themselves from 1977 up until the WPC games (Funhouse+Bride). I fully support a "pre-wpc-solid-state" forum. You could call it the "PWPCSSF".

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ya know, if this subforum thing doesn't work out for you, you could always start a thread something like-
    "Some nice looking solid state classics just came up on craigslist"

I've been thinking about doing that for months. Time to get off my duff and do it.

9 months later
    #20 8 years ago

Reviving, to gauge interest
    as I feel the 1977-1985
    early (classic) S/S pins are vastly different
    than their WPC and DMD counterparts,
    with their own distinct following.
    Glad there are the Tech sub forums for each era,
    but thinking there should be separate sub-forums
    for general interest and comments
    on those earlier S/S era pins.

#21 8 years ago

Looking back
    probably the best route would be to create a Topic/Post under
    All Pinball/All Clubs
    dedicated to early Solid State era pins (1977ish to 1985ish)

1 week later
    #22 8 years ago

Mof has started a really good thread that covers a ton of early SS pins:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-subforum-solid-state and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.