Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

duds (resized).jpg
    There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago

Austin Powers is rated low but goes for fairly high prices. I've only had mine for a week, but I love that game! Yeah Baby!

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

So, it sounds as if games like TWD, BM66 and MET got the most improvements after initial release. Do good initial sales lead to putting additional resources into them? Or is it the opposite, a poor selling game needs to be improved to boost sales? But from what I see, there's no such thing as a poor initial selling game (unless it's some fringe one-off creation).

Those games have one huge thing in common, the coder.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Not sure if they stack though making a locked in shot now 4x on a combo (maybe an owner can confirm).

Negative. The reward is not a true multiplier. You're stuck at 2X

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Theme ain’t the problem. Game isn’t fun and the playfield is a straight nascar ripoff. Had stern put effort into the way bally did corvette it could have been amazing

Nascar? Are you sure you aren't thinking of a different game? Because Mustang and Nascar layouts aren't even close. At all.

#55 6 years ago

Please define a "New Stern".

#56 6 years ago

Biggest change from dud to great with no real code changes...IM. This is a game that just looks barren and kicks your ass and you walk away going "well that's a nothing game". Then you get chance to really play it and learn about some of the finer points. The code is pretty simple...but it brilliantly fits the design of the game. It's a "one ball" masterpiece. The weird part about IM is you don't just get mad that it kicked your ass...you really want to get even, and you hit the start button again.

Biggest improvement from code alone...TWD.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Theme ain’t the problem. Game isn’t fun and the playfield is a straight nascar ripoff. Had stern put effort into the way bally did corvette it could have been amazing

Not sure where you're coming from in that the playfield is a ripoff of NASCAR's.

How familiar are you with the rules? Have you played a Premium/LE with additional features (including POWER SHIFTS)?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view?usp=sharing

Every game has its haters, but I know for a fact that many pinheads have never gotten past Mustang's theme and/or have bought into the misconception that it's a crappy game. Personally speaking, I've played every modern Stern game and Mustang ranks up there with the top ones for fun gameplay in my book. WAY underrated on Pinside.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

But from what I see, there's no such thing as a poor initial selling game (unless it's some fringe one-off creation).

WWE.

You can prolly STILL get an LE of it. One distributor told me if I bought one I'd get 2 for the price of 1.....I almost wonder if he was kidding or not.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

WWE.
    You can prolly STILL get an LE of it. One distributor told me if I bought one I'd get 2 for the price of 1.....I almost wonder if he was kidding or not.

You could've still easily made money on that deal. Man. I'd take that right NOW if someone offered it.

Avatar isn't a bad game. It's a VERY HARD game, but it's not BAD. The multiball stack is one of the MOST lucrative in terms of sheer scoring advantage of any game I know. Usually I just go for stacks for the security of having additional balls in play or to 'resurrect' a dying multiball, but with Avatar, it's absolutely *critical* for blowing up the scores. I love that both of the shots for multiball are dangerous and tight too. It's extremely damn rewarding.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You could've still easily made money on that deal. Man. I'd take that right NOW if someone offered it.
    Avatar isn't a bad game. It's a VERY HARD game, but it's not BAD. The multiball stack is one of the MOST lucrative in terms of sheer scoring advantage of any game I know. Usually I just go for stacks for the security of having additional balls in play or to 'resurrect' a dying multiball, but with Avatar, it's absolutely *critical* for blowing up the scores. I love that both of the shots for multiball are dangerous and tight too. It's extremely damn rewarding.

Love Avatar. Just hate that the super and double super (when doubled) for link is so much more than anything else in the game. It's their for everyone and fairly achievable so I wouldn't call it unfair. Just a bit lopsided. If they made amp suit a bit more valuable that game would be even better.

Quoted from NPO:

WWE.

I'm with Frax on this one. If that's a real deal it would be hard to pass up. WWE isn't the greatest of games but it can be fun for what it is with some setting adjustments. You'd be ahead in that deal for sure.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

So, it sounds as if games like TWD, BM66 and MET got the most improvements after initial release. Do good initial sales lead to putting additional resources into them? Or is it the opposite, a poor selling game needs to be improved to boost sales? But from what I see, there's no such thing as a poor initial selling game (unless it's some fringe one-off creation).

What's the common denominator? Lyman Sheets. Simple as that.

#62 6 years ago

My two biggies from personal experience are: TWD & BM66.
    Their transformations are difficult to believe. I bought both too early and regretted each for about a year.

I once left a sheet over TWD for about 4 months due to my shame buying it. Then it suddenly went from like worst to first with Lyman’s last couple of updates. I’m still shocked, because the game also has design problems IMHO. It’s very difficult to set up correctly, the ramps are hard, the crossbow sucks, and the Prison is usually a SDTM venture. I still have to periodically tweak the setup when gameplay gets too angry, but it’s a fantastic game now. Amazing game in fact! I still play it and often times marvel at the play difference.

If anything might possibly out transform TWD, or if Lyman might finally outdo himself, it’ll be BM66. This past Summer I was nearly ready to burn my game. I could see the potential, but lost faith in Stern after the great BM66 Summer of Despair. However, in the last few updates it’s suddenly a stacking monster. There are so many ways to attack it now, the videos line up well with the modes and the shot geometry (specifically too tight orbits) no longer seems to matter. The minor villains are awesome and very difficult to complete. It’s a blast to play now and there’s a lot more still to come. Fire up Penguin, Two Egg, Bat Turn, and Multiball modes at the same time and you’ll get your cardio for the day. If you haven’t played this game in the last six months I strongly suggest giving it a try. It’s not just yet the greatest pinball transformation in my judgement, but its close, probably two small updates from eclipsing even TWD, if that’s possible.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

My two biggies from personal experience are: TWD & BM66.

If anything might possibly out transform TWD, or if Lyman might finally outdo himself, it’ll be BM66. This past Summer I was nearly ready to burn my game. I could see the potential, but lost faith in Stern after the great BM66 Summer of Despair. However, in the last few updates it’s suddenly a stacking monster. There are so many ways to attack it now, the videos line up well with the modes and the shot geometry (specifically too tight orbits) no longer seems to matter. The minor villains are awesome and very difficult to complete. It’s a blast to play now and there’s a lot more still to come. Fire up Penguin, Two Egg, Bat Turn, and Multiball modes at the same time and you’ll get your cardio for the day. If you haven’t played this game in the last six months I strongly suggest giving it a try. It’s not just yet the greatest pinball transformation in my judgement, but its close, probably two small updates from eclipsing even TWD, if that’s possible.

I've played BM66 on nearly every code iteration and while it's gotten to be pretty great from a code standpoint, I really can't get over how bad the layout and central toy is on that game. The turntable does absolutely nothing for me, nor does the left wall of stand-ups. It just seems to play so clunky and sloppy and I can't get past the way the game plays. I dislike the layout on Hobbit but it is vastly better than BM66 and at least shoots smoothly. I want to like the game and keep playing it whenever I can thinking that one day it would "click" for me and that the code would allow me to like it but so far it hasn't happened. Am I alone on this? It seems like the general consensus now is that it's a great game thanks to Lyman. I do enjoy the rules and the theme but the rest of the package just isn't there for me. What's your favorite aspect about the turntable and am I missing its brilliance somehow? For such a big and complicated toy I just can't find much satisfaction in hitting it.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I've played BM66 on nearly every code iteration and while it's gotten to be pretty great from a code standpoint, I really can't get over how bad the layout and central toy is on that game. The turntable does absolutely nothing for me, nor does the left wall of stand-ups. It just seems to play so clunky and sloppy and I can't get past the way the game plays. I dislike the layout on Hobbit but it is vastly better than BM66 and at least shoots smoothly. I want to like the game and keep playing it whenever I can thinking that one day it would "click" for me and that the code would allow me to like it but so far it hasn't happened. Am I alone on this? It seems like the general consensus now is that it's a great game thanks to Lyman. I do enjoy the rules and the theme but the rest of the package just isn't there for me. What's your favorite aspect about the turntable and am I missing its brilliance somehow? For such a big and complicated toy I just can't find much satisfaction in hitting it.

you are not alone. BM66 is overhyped by people that paid a premium to own and now like to claim Lyman has fixed it.

Reality is that the layout is so completely boring that nothing can possibly fix it.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Please define a "New Stern".

I didn't mean "new" as in current. I meant that all machines are new at some point and then are changed over time. It's that change over time that I was trying to investigate....whether or not there is a distinct pattern.

Quoted from iceman44:

What's the common denominator? Lyman Sheets. Simple as that.

Obviously, I've seen his name all over threads on this site, and he seems to be The Master whenever code is discussed. Does he design games from start to finish (release and updates), does he come in and "fix" games that need tweaking, or both?

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you are not alone. BM66 is overhyped by people that paid a premium to own and now like to claim Lyman has fixed it.
    Reality is that the layout is so completely boring that nothing can possibly fix it.

I'm glad it's not just me. The strange part is that the game does share a lot of similarities with BDK in terms of layout but BDK shoots way better and doesn't feel clunky to me. I don't love the BDK layout but I don't mind it either. If BM66 would have been a straight copy of the BDK layout I think I'd like it a lot more. BM66 just plays so piss poor that I can't get any enjoyment from it despite the rules being interesting and fun. And I've played numerous examples so I don't think it's just a matter of how the game was set up.

#67 6 years ago

BM66 has made me appreciate BDK WAY more!

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm glad it's not just me. The strange part is that the game does share a lot of similarities with BDK in terms of layout but BDK shoots way better and doesn't feel clunky to me. I don't love the BDK layout but I don't mind it either. If BM66 would have been a straight copy of the BDK layout I think I'd like it a lot more. BM66 just plays so piss poor that I can't get any enjoyment from it despite the rules being interesting and fun. And I've played numerous examples so I don't think it's just a matter of how the game was set up.

It's not just you. The LE we had on location here was the king of klunk and that was with an operator who takes meticulous care of his games. I found myself saying "klunky" out loud when I would play it and have the orbit rattle on a clean shot or the scoop reject. It was always so weird since BDK shot so smooth. Never an orbit issue or bounce out from Scarecrow on that game. The klunkiness (and complete lack of code) turned me off to the game big time and I started not even playing it for $.25 a game since there was 20 other games to play instead. It has since been pulled from the location.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't even look at them as the same game anymore. So vastly different in code and the turntable vs. the joker/center ramp shot are just...woof. It's barely even worth comparing other than to say theyr'e both ultimately fan layouts.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

TWD. Would be a top 10 game if you deleted scores from the first year.

TWD Premium should be Top 5!
    Stern’s best IMO

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I really think this varies machine to machine. I played it at MGC last year and was so disappointed. Just as you guys have said...clunk city, everything felt cheap and crappy, and of course no code. It was terrible. Then I spent about an hour on it at Expo a few months back and turned around completely. It was smooth and solid...like it was a completely different game. I thought it might have been a fluke, or I was just too tired to notice, but then I played it again on location in Waukesha a couple weeks ago and again, absolutely loved it. Never once thought the word clunky, played like a dream. I can't believe this is the same game I played at MGC...it was a total transformation, software of course, but physically as well. It must be in the machine set-up. Hopefully it's easy to tweak to play as well as the one at Expo and the one at Sunset Bowl...because after playing that one I came home and ordered one. I loved everything about it.

#72 6 years ago

XM has come a long way. I remember everyone being really excited about the layout, to severely disappointed due to code. The layout is packed with shots, and the code is some of the deepest on any machine I've played. It's really a gem that a lot of people still overlook because of the initial code issues.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

XM has come a long way. I remember everyone being really excited about the layout, to severely disappointed due to code. The layout is packed with shots, and the code is some of the deepest on any machine I've played. It's really a gem that a lot of people still overlook because of the initial code issues.

100% agree with this. One of my favourite games by far. Got rid of my decked out Tron, still have my xmen and always will.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hate to say it but true. Idk about the liking bdk more part in your later post but bm66 is definitely overhype and still is not that great.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

100% agree with this. One of my favourite games by far. Got rid of my decked out Tron, still have my xmen and always will.

X-men really has come a long way. I don't see my X-men going anywhere anytime soon either. Such a fun, challenging game.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Not sure where you're coming from in that the playfield is a ripoff of NASCAR's.
    How familiar are you with the rules? Have you played a Premium/LE with additional features (including POWER SHIFTS)?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view?usp=sharing
    Every game has its haters, but I know for a fact that many pinheads have never gotten past Mustang's theme and/or have bought into the misconception that it's a crappy game. Personally speaking, I've played every modern Stern game and Mustang ranks up there with the top ones for fun gameplay in my book. WAY underrated on Pinside.

I'm not hating on it's theme. I love Mustangs. First two cars ive ever owned were stangs. I've played every model didn't enjoy it doesn't mean other people dont. Mustang has earned the reputation it has. Plain and simple

#78 6 years ago

Lyman and the sound replacement available on Pinside made TWD a top tier pin. I liked the way it played as Borg’s design was odd on this pin, and AC/DC and Star Trek from Steve are great too.

People beat up on Transformers but I dig it. Great with colordmd now.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

I didn't mean "new" as in current. I meant that all machines are new at some point and then are changed over time. It's that change over time that I was trying to investigate....whether or not there is a distinct pattern.

Obviously, I've seen his name all over threads on this site, and he seems to be The Master whenever code is discussed. Does he design games from start to finish (release and updates), does he come in and "fix" games that need tweaking, or both?

Lyman ‘ Sheats’ ( C’mon Ice, really?) is just one of Sterns coders, he is not just a perfectionist but also a worldwide pinballer. His commitment to coding is second to none. Period.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The game is actually quite fun now, and easily gets the most action from all friends and family that come over to play (including me). I've got some nice machines in my lineup....this one holds it's own quite well.....truth....

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

The game is actually quite fun now, and easily gets the most action from all friends and family that come over to play (including me). I've got some nice machines in my lineup....this one holds it's own quite well.....truth....

I don't doubt that people love this game I just don't understand why? Does the turntable become more fun as you play it more? What's the best aspect of it? What's the most satisfying shot to hit on the game? I find the rules intriguing but I have yet to find a shot on the game that really feels good to hit. I'm not trying to stir the Pot, I'm just curious of the reasons besides code and theme that people love the game?

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I don't doubt that people love this game I just don't understand why? Does the turntable become more fun as you play it more? What's the best aspect of it? What's the most satisfying shot to hit on the game? I find the rules intriguing but I have yet to find a shot on the game that really feels good to hit. I'm not trying to stir the Pot, I'm just curious of the reasons besides code and theme that people love the game?

The turntable is actually quite fun, as you must shoot through the bat cave to hit Atomic Pile, spinner itself engages bat turn, and it's risk/ reward vs hitting commissioner gordon vs. answering the batphone (all have scoring impact). The bat villain tv still hasn't seen it's potential yet, as I suspect coding will have it engage even more. It's come a long way.

There are several ways to build scores, play villians, extend episodes, minor villians, etc. so there is plenty to do. I like to get 4 things going, and "change channels" rotating through them w lockbar gadget button, while playing beat the clock on all of them. No way is it easy to get thru, anymore (still haven't reached "Batusi").

Suspect the best aspect for me is truly enjoying the callouts/ clips/ etc. come together (finally), and tie into gameplay. It's just a great game to revisit my 1st childhood primetime COLOR TV show. Campy, colorful, journey. Yes, theme rules on this one...nothing wrong w that. Left ramp shot is actually very satisfying, when hit with pace.

I play strictly for personal enjoyment (barely average skill-wise), and this one just scratches an itch that my others don't. No pot to stir here.. buy machines I like...alot to like in BM66.......

#83 6 years ago

Mustang is an absolute blast to play and is a keeper here. The key is to add your own songs with Pinball Browser. The last few days I refreshed a few songs on my playlist- Immigrant Song for Mustang Multiball now and a few other changes. I say it's the best music pin without a music theme, great callouts and it's a damn fast game.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Well, no one likes every game and that's okay. I despise X-Men and nothing will ever change that. Some will always dislike Batman as it's not for everyone. The theme is kind of campy for some and the long shots bother some people, not to mention the BDK hate.

I can't explain it, but I don't really notice the turntable much any more. Center shots are required at various times in the modes and stray shots just off center to the Batanalyzer line up the multiball locks, but otherwise I'm not focused on the turntable in game play other than watching the balls lock when I'm building to multiball or maybe to start Joker. It moves periodically, but is always where it needs to be whenever I have a moment to pay attention. There's so much going on in the game play now that it's movement is not a problem or factor in game play, for me anyway, other than sometimes a delay getting ready to trigger the Batphone so that I can answer it if I get control of the ball quick enough after qualifying the major villain. I agree that none of the shots are particularly satisfying, other than maybe a clean shot to the orbits, which are too tight. They don't really have to be satisfying because game play can get to chaos very quickly in the latest code and juggling the various modes is tough.

The change in the latest code updates is the theme immersion. The videos, screen shots, and video progress make sense now and the depth is amazing, being able to core drill 3-4 levels against just one villain, Penquin, Joker, or Catwoman for an entire game, but with all kinds of side excursions is amazing. There are so many way to challenge the game and the code is only .87. Lately I ricochet off of the TV standups on the right followed by shooting for the left orbit to start minor villains in an attempt to lock in Seasons hoping for Batusi. Otherwise, I might try to capture the four major villains without core drilling to get to Villain Escape. Or, go deep with Penguin dodging the individual crane shots until sweeping the rest of the shots in between for huge scores. The rest of game play takes care of itself. The fury of having four modes going at the same time is exhilarating and exhausting, and you can't really prevent it from happening if you're having a good game. I can only play 2-3 games back to back before I'm done with pinball for the day.

The license is whole, it includes video and audio from up to 120 episodes and custom call outs from Adam West and Burt Ward, even if they are a little rough. We also have a lot of stuff yet to come in future code updates, including Batgirl. I'm more than satisfied with the game now, though I couldn't say that last Summer. It's a keeper in my collection.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

Well, no one likes every game and that's okay. I despise X-Men and nothing will ever change that. Some will always dislike Batman as it's not for everyone. The theme is kind of campy for some and the long shots bother some people, not to mention the BDK hate.
    I can't explain it, but I don't really notice the turntable much any more. Center shots are required at various times in the modes and stray shots just off center to the Batanalyzer line up the multiball locks, but otherwise I'm not focused on the turntable in game play other than watching the balls lock when I'm building to multiball or maybe to start Joker. It moves periodically, but is always where it needs to be whenever I have a moment to pay attention. There's so much going on in the game play now that it's movement is not a problem or factor in game play, for me anyway, other than sometimes a delay getting ready to trigger the Batphone so that I can answer it if I get control of the ball quick enough after qualifying the major villain. I agree that none of the shots are particularly satisfying, other than maybe a clean shot to the orbits, which are too tight. They don't really have to be satisfying because game play can get to chaos very quickly in the latest code and juggling the various modes is tough.
    The change in the latest code updates is the theme immersion. The videos, screen shots, and video progress make sense now and the depth is amazing, being able to core drill 3-4 levels against just one villain, Penquin, Joker, or Catwoman for an entire game, but with all kinds of side excursions is amazing. There are so many way to challenge the game and the code is only .87. Lately I ricochet off of the TV standups on the right followed by shooting for the left orbit to start minor villains in an attempt to lock in Seasons hoping for Batusi. Otherwise, I might try to capture the four major villains without core drilling to get to Villain Escape. Or, go deep with Penguin dodging the individual crane shots until sweeping the rest of the shots in between for huge scores. The rest of game play takes care of itself. The fury of having four modes going at the same time is exhilarating and exhausting, and you can't really prevent it from happening if you're having a good game. I can only play 2-3 games back to back before I'm done with pinball for the day.
    The license is whole, it includes video and audio from up to 120 episodes and custom call outs from Adam West and Burt Ward, even if they are a little rough. We also have a lot of stuff yet to come in future code updates, including Batgirl. I'm more than satisfied with the game now, though I couldn't say that last Summer. It's a keeper in my collection.

Thank you, Taz, for explaining better than me...spot on w your post. I shall attack the machine again tomorrow...

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Thank you, Taz, for explaining better than me...spot on w your post. I shall attack the machine again tomorrow...

Good luck with your attacks. Please advise if you find an easier trail of villain bodies towards Batusi besides whipping Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, and King Tut's arses.

BM66 is one dud that really has become great and it's not even finished yet.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

The turntable is actually quite fun, as you must shoot through the bat cave to hit Atomic Pile, spinner itself engages bat turn, and it's risk/ reward vs hitting commissioner gordon vs. answering the batphone (all have scoring impact). The bat villain tv still hasn't seen it's potential yet, as I suspect coding will have it engage even more. It's come a long way.
    There are several ways to build scores, play villians, extend episodes, minor villians, etc. so there is plenty to do. I like to get 4 things going, and "change channels" rotating through them w lockbar gadget button, while playing beat the clock on all of them. No way is it easy to get thru, anymore (still haven't reached "Batusi").
    Suspect the best aspect for me is truly enjoying the callouts/ clips/ etc. come together (finally), and tie into gameplay. It's just a great game to revisit my 1st childhood primetime COLOR TV show. Campy, colorful, journey. Yes, theme rules on this one...nothing wrong w that. Left ramp shot is actually very satisfying, when hit with pace.
    I play strictly for personal enjoyment (barely average skill-wise), and this one just scratches an itch that my others don't. No pot to stir here.. buy machines I like...alot to like in BM66.......

Quoted from taz:

I can't explain it, but I don't really notice the turntable much any more. Center shots are required at various times in the modes and stray shots just off center to the Batanalyzer line up the multiball locks, but otherwise I'm not focused on the turntable in game play other than watching the balls lock when I'm building to multiball or maybe to start Joker. It moves periodically, but is always where it needs to be whenever I have a moment to pay attention. There's so much going on in the game play now that it's movement is not a problem or factor in game play, for me anyway, other than sometimes a pause in the initial answer to the Batphone. I agree that none of the shots are particularly satisfying, other than maybe a clean shot to the orbits, which are too tight. They don't really have to be satisfying because game play can get to chaos very quickly in the latest code and juggling the various modes is tough.
    The change in the latest code updates is the theme immersion. The videos, screen shots, and video progress make sense now and the depth is amazing, being able to core drill 3-4 levels against Penquin, Joker, or Catwoman for nearly an entire game, but with all kinds of side excursions is amazing. There are so many way to challenge the game and the code is only .87. Lately I ricochet off of the TV standups on the right followed by shooting for the left orbit to start minor villains in an attempt to lock in Seasons hoping for Batusi. Otherwise, I might try to capture the four major villains without core drilling to get to Villain Escape. Or, go deep with Penguin dodging the individual crane shots until sweeping the rest of the shots in between for huge scores. The rest of game play takes care of itself. The fury of having four modes going at the same time is exhilarating and exhausting, and you can't really prevent it from happening if you're having a good game. I can only play 2-3 games back to back before I'm done with pinball for the day.

Thanks for the replies guys! That gives me a good sense of what you like about the game. I've probably put in 50 or so plays on it and always get a few games in whenever I see it. I've set a few of the high scores on each of the games near me on route. I would have given up on the game in less than 10 plays if it wasn't Lyman on code but since I love all of his other games I keep trying to give it the benefit of the doubt in hopes that I'll see the light and get hooked on it but so far no dice...

Probably doesn't help that the theme was before my time but the biggest negative for me is just the layout. I'm a sucker for smooth and tight shots. Nothing better than lining up a huge "x" shot in TWD and nailing the riot shot! Or nailing the Arena shot a bunch of times in a row and then comboing the Woodbury shot! I want to get that feeling in BM66 but even when you make the shots they feel so rattle-y and awkward. When I shoot the phone half the time the magnet misses the ball. The turntable toy in itself just doesn't give you a satisfying feeling when you hit it. Kind of just passes through and returns and is just kind of "there". The ramps are too short to feel satisfying... Orbits feel wide and the ball rattles around. When you hit the lock shot it doesn't feel tight and precise at all. I don't like how large the scoop by the crane is and how the ball just seems to fall into it. I'd prefer a tighter and more precise shot. And the game could have used some drop targets on the left side instead of a wall of stand-ups..... The crane I'll admit is a pretty good toy.

Maybe I'll grow to like it but I have a feeling it will be because of the rules and despite the layout. Im glad others like it though as it is different and not everyone likes the same kinds of games.

#88 6 years ago

Definitely xmen. Was practically unplayable for months. Love it now. I want another.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Mustang has earned the reputation it has. Plain and simple

Hardly. I don't know how anyone who has actually taken the time to familiarize themselves with Mustang's rules (ruleset accessible per link in my prior post) and experienced its full gameplay features, can agree with that statement.

Smacks of DT logic.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I really think this varies machine to machine. I played it at MGC last year and was so disappointed. Just as you guys have said...clunk city, everything felt cheap and crappy, and of course no code. It was terrible. Then I spent about an hour on it at Expo a few months back and turned around completely. It was smooth and solid...like it was a completely different game. I thought it might have been a fluke, or I was just too tired to notice, but then I played it again on location in Waukesha a couple weeks ago and again, absolutely loved it. Never once thought the word clunky, played like a dream. I can't believe this is the same game I played at MGC...it was a total transformation, software of course, but physically as well. It must be in the machine set-up. Hopefully it's easy to tweak to play as well as the one at Expo and the one at Sunset Bowl...because after playing that one I came home and ordered one. I loved everything about it.

I agree with Chris Plus I same him destroy the game and grand champ it.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Hardly. I don't know how anyone who has actually taken the time to familiarize themselves with Mustang's rules (ruleset accessible per link in my prior post) and experienced its full gameplay features, can agree with that statement.
    Smacks of DT logic.

I actually re-read the rules document on Saturday to get a better understanding of the game. I had forgotten about soft plunging to hit the center drop target to spot 3rd Gear.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

BDK is leaving my place for BM66. Had my fill of BDK.

#93 6 years ago

Batman TDK
    was my first NIB purchase
    out of the box it was very disapointing, thought i had just burned a few dollars
    updated the code, vast improvement
    but it did take Stern 3 years to make the game good

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Bummer. I always liked BDK. I think they are different enough to coexist in a collection your size, but I know space is at a premium for you. They'd look pretty cool side-by-side though!

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

how much? count me interested...

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how much? count me interested...

Already sold to a huge Batman fan.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Already sold to a huge Batman fan.

cool

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Bummer. I always liked BDK. I think they are different enough to coexist in a collection your size, but I know space is at a premium for you. They'd look pretty cool side-by-side though!

It’s had a good run in the game room.

Amazing how WWE and Avengers are still surviving since they aren’t on the pinside too 100.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

It’s had a good run in the game room.
    Amazing how WWE and Avengers are still surviving since they aren’t on the pinside too 100.

They aren't on the MikeS top 100 either, but then again BM66 isn't either Maybe your game will be the one that doesn't play clunky and changes my mind for the better

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

still surviving since they aren’t on the pinside too 100.

lol. I was afraid how far I had to go down the list before finding something in my current collection...

outside the top 30

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-sterns-which-duds-became-great/page/2?hl=shadrac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.