(Topic ID: 209775)

New Stern Whitestar boards available now (Feb 2018)

By mc300baud

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

K's arcade listing indicates it works for all Whitestar, PinballLife says just the modified Stern Whitestar... both are listed as 520-5300-00. Need to figure out who's right.

Seems 520-5300-00 is the modified Stern version w Atmel, 520-5136-16 is the original. So does the Stern one not work for Segas / original Whitestars? Or what are you referring to by "early version boards"?

#4 6 years ago

I see what you mean, I've also come across different answers doing some research. But I did find one official-sounding statement, which sounds good to me.

Games that are only compatible with the BSMT2000 chipset are Roller Coaster Tycoon, South Park, South Park Profanity, Space Jam and Starship Troopers. For all other games you can use the new 520-5300-00 White Star (Atmel) CPU.

Although not what we're talking about here, going the other way, substituting the original board into a machine that has the Stern Atmel version, may or may not work. It sounds like at some point Stern extended the emulation beyond what the BSMT2000 does or at least requires more memory.

#6 6 years ago

Yes, it does actually work in some instances. In fact, Stern themselves used both versions of the board in T3. Your experience isn't representative of all machines, just as T3 isn't. So as I said, it may or may not work.

#9 6 years ago

Wow, just bought one on PinballLife ($439), but you're right, don't see them now. Sold out already?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Man, I hope that nobody puts AAA batteries in one of these new boards. If Stern was smart they would manufacturer the new boards with a lithium coin cell holder.

No reason to use batteries on this board, NVRAM is as simple as popping in a $3 chip. If you can pull a chip, you can upgrade to NVRAM on this board.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-whitestar-boards-available-now-feb-2018?tu=highvoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.