Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Prmailers
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin.jpg
    image.jpg
    TF_stern_home_makeover_ed.jpg
    modular_playfield.jpg
    93316356-260x260-0-0_Hasbro+Transforme.jpg
    51T-kiBFQKL._SL500_SS500_[1].jpg
    There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 11 years ago

Why would you give it a thumbs-down? That's asshat behavior. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but why would you want to try and prevent the intended market from finding out about it?

Why?

#52 11 years ago

Yep. They'll probably just turn off ratings though. 11 up to 3 down.

#53 11 years ago

Hey, it's got a TOTAN like spinner! Haven't seen that technology in 10+ years. Friggin sweet!

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

Why would you give it a thumbs-down? That's asshat behavior. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but why would you want to try and prevent the intended market from finding out about it?
    Why?

People will still find it, despite the rating. That's like saying censoring unfavorable comments is good. That would be like Robin deleting this entire thread because Gary gave him $100. It's not trolling, it's legitimate feedback, which is otherwise being censored by whatever poor soul is wasting his life away moderating comments.

#55 11 years ago

I will say after watching that video Its not as bad as I thought. The only problem I really have with it is the price. It does look like it has the feel of a regular machine.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

You all do understand, this pin is not FOR YOU (US). It's not the pin for discerning collectors, it's for people who are not interested in actually getting into pinball.

Quoted from eggbert52:

I think we should be happy that the purists hate the game for the most part because that's not the target market they are going for.

I think most of us fully understand who Stern is targeting with this machine. As I stated before, the problem is not the game itself, but the price. I'd even argue that they could price the TFLE's at $3,000, and they still wouldn't sell that many more of them to non-pinheads. Other than operators and hobbyists, there simply aren't that many people willing shell out $3,000 for a pinball machine. That's a ton of money, particularly given the current economic climate.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

People will still find it, despite the rating. That's like saying censoring unfavorable comments is good. That would be like Robin deleting this entire thread because Gary gave him $100. It's not trolling, it's legitimate feedback, which is otherwise being censored by whatever poor soul is wasting his life away moderating comments.

I agree with you on the point that it is foolish for the moderator of that channel to delete negative comments (just as foolish as when they do it on the Stern Facebook page).

#58 11 years ago

Cant you get a used Transformers LE for 3K

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

Cant you get a used Transformers LE for 3K

LMAO!

#60 11 years ago

That $3000 price gotta be a bad joke. This is a $599 machine.

#61 11 years ago

Reminiscent of 'Subliminal Man' from SNL:

"It's a real pinball machine (buy it) and it's fun for the whole family (Stern rules). Gomez did a great job (buy it).

#62 11 years ago

thnks for the vid. i wanted to see that

the happy family all together playing pin… LMAO

#63 11 years ago

I just realized.....with Stern calling it "The Pin", it's probably destined for the Hammacher Schlammer catalog. Everything in there starts with the word "The", as if it's the only one.

That would explain the price, too.

#64 11 years ago

With them saying its real pin and great all the time makes me distrust everything they say.

Would love to see a trial play test sith regular non pinball people with this vs a real TF pro.

It makes me think the setup is the biggest obstacle to a real pin, meaning its heavy and hard to set up. This is something more easy to install and play but otherwise does not look like it would be as good as a real pinball machine.

#65 11 years ago

I agree Miguel, the only place I'm gonna see this thing is 30,000 feet in the air in SkyMall

#66 11 years ago

$3,000? That is insane.

#67 11 years ago

New technology! Strobing LEDs, ZIF connectors, and phone line ports! High resolution alphanumeric displays!

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

thnks for the vid. i wanted to see that
    the happy family all together playing pin… LMAO

The sad reality is the son secretly hating daddy becasue he didn't get the "real" pinball machine he asked for...*sniff

#69 11 years ago

As a novice OP, I really want to play one and open it up and see whats inside. As a player, I even want to play one.

The "home market" is not in my blood. I put games out in the wild and I play my games out in the wild.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from sirrob:

That $3000 price gotta be a bad joke. This is a $599 machine.

I'd buy one if it was on sale for $499!

#71 11 years ago

Imagine what would happen if you put that thing out on location...

#72 11 years ago

Like several have pointed out, this machine is not marketed toward us. Maybe this is Gomez's answer to the lack of code update for Transformers. Who knows...

Regardless, I think it will sell fairly well with the Transformers license. Maybe not like gangbusters, but for bratty kids that get MTV pimped-out sweet 16 birthday parties.

#73 11 years ago

Well, gomez confirmed it. He wasted months of time working on this thing, time that could have been spent elsewhere. I WILL give this project one bit of thumbs up, anyone else think that the integrated pcb's under the playfield is a step in the right direction (a nod to jersey jack)? If only they could impliment this on the commercial pins and eliminate the "more wire than a ford taurus" mentality. Copper wire weighs and costs a LOT (both in materials, and paying some factory worker to create wire assemblies on a nail board). This doesn't completely eliminate it, but it sure looks like it reduces it a lot. Maybe it's hard to compare since this is a home model?
    modular_playfield.jpgmodular_playfield.jpg

Popadiuk should be wringing his hands at this, his zizzle retailed for $249 just 5 years ago:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/news/zizzle3.html

Where does stern justify $2750 in extra cost?

Sidenote: Wonder if Stern could give me the phone number of that family, mine gets nowhere near that excited to play pinball

#74 11 years ago

They had to say "real pinball" too many times to make me believe it was real

#75 11 years ago

Hopefully they don't jack up the prices on their real pins (or cheap out on) to make up for the loses their going to take on this. Price point needs to be 1k or lower for this thing to sell.

#76 11 years ago

I would have sold tons of these when I was still managing a high end AV store. I also hope ideas like no coin doors carry over as a cost cutting option. I would love an LE a few hundred cheaper for not spending money on the features I don't care about.

#77 11 years ago

i gotta give stern and gomez credit for not breaking out laughing doing this. those guys have balls trying to flog this pos with a strait face

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Wonder if Stern could give me the phone number of that family, mine gets nowhere near that excited to play pinball

I'll just take the phone number for that "mom", thank you.....

#79 11 years ago

The problem with this I see is this- this is time and focus taken away from making our pins better, whether it be code, R&D, etc., this certainly took a lot of resources to get off the ground and make.

And I wonder if Lonnie and Waison worked on the code on this since they did the TF pro/LE code? Probably the reason all of us with $6500 X-men LE's are wondering why the code hasn't been updated in such a long time.

Plus, when they lose money on this one, either by the ridiculous price point that flattens sales combined with the likelyhood that they'll have to send out repair technicians on the ones they do sell (talking from experience here), Stern will make up for it buy charging us more.

#80 11 years ago

the most interesting thing to me is the driverboard at 2:10, sd card slot, 2 usb, and looks like 2 rj11/rs485? sockets...

#81 11 years ago

Gary needs a gold chain to go with that open shirt. sexy bastard

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

i gotta give stern and gomez credit for not breaking out laughing doing this. those guys have balls trying to flog this pos with a strait face

ROFL!!

#83 11 years ago

TF_stern_home_makeover_ed.jpgTF_stern_home_makeover_ed.jpg

#84 11 years ago

This is hilarious. Stern has BLOCKED my YouTube account, LOL! Just for posting my opinion!

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

This is hilarious. Stern has BLOCKED my YouTube account, LOL! Just for posting my opinion!

What did you think would happen?

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

less than $700 maybe it would sell, but not anything more than that.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Price point needs to be 1k or lower for this thing to sell.

Well I guess we I'll find out. Will be easy to see what happens.

I think it's silly for all the bashing being done here. This thing isn't made for us. An average family isn't going to do well with a 20 year old used pin with no tech support. The game looks kind of fun to me.

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Well I guess we I'll find out.
    I think it's silly for all the bashing being done here. This thing isn't made for us. An average family isn't going to do well with a 20 year old used pin with no tech support. The game looks kind of fun to me.

Are you getting one?

#88 11 years ago

Once again, Gary taking the profit we gave him and making a foolish investment that will hurt Stern in the long run. What a joke. Classic case of a company that does not know their consumer base and does not have a clue in how to grow their consumer base.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

This is hilarious. Stern has BLOCKED my YouTube account, LOL! Just for posting my opinion!</blockquote

Someone PLEASE copy and repost the video so the REAL comments stay up.

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Are you getting one?

Why would I be? One of the first statements I made was

Quoted from markmon:This thing isn't made for us.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

This is hilarious. Stern has BLOCKED my YouTube account, LOL! Just for posting my opinion!</blockquote

Someone PLEASE copy and repost the video so the REAL comments stay up.

#92 11 years ago

Nice commercial. This forum can sometimes be like the Real Housewives of Pinball Collecting when it comes to gossip and negativity. So I don't expect much praise here.

It seems like a well done effort for the target demographic. I'm not interested, but might have been a few years ago before my first game. If Namco or Atari made a MAME, it would be like this.

#93 11 years ago

At what price would you think this thing would sell? If they have to sell this at $3000 to turn a decent profit, something is wrong there.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Well I guess we I'll find out.

I didn't think so, but you said that. It does look fun...just not $3k worth of fun.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Once again, Gary taking the profit we gave him and making a foolish investment that will hurt Stern in the long run. What a joke. Classic case of a company that does not know their consumer base and does not have a clue in how to grow their consumer base.

When, exactly, do you think Gary will make a profit on this machine? I see a fair amount of engineering into a "toy" that will not sell. I understand that this machine is not marketed towards collectors, but to build a new base of customers is going to be a struggle at 3k a pop IMHO.

As a business owner, I have been in this place before.....and it is not fun. You know you made a mistake almost the moment you signed the paperwork. Things just go down hill from here. Trust me, there are some serious conversations happening at Stern right now.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd buy one if it was on sale for $499!

Greedy!

#97 11 years ago

I like the video. I guess Tim Cook must not have been in the office the day of filming.

#98 11 years ago

It will be worth 10K by Christmas!

(10,000 Kaputniks)

Now that I think of it.. Gomez/Gary reminds me a lot of Dommie/Kubla

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

(10,000 Kaputniks)
    » YouTube video

OMG, that's funny...

#100 11 years ago

rankin/bass reference! nice!! thumbs up for you.

time to go watch the tf vid

Quoted from JoeJet:

(10,000 Kaputniks)
    » YouTube video

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-video-up-of/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.