05-star-wars-comic (resized).jpg
12-star-wars-comic (resized).jpg
IMG_20191110_165426 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191108_224241 (resized).jpg
92992EF0-A738-4EA1-BB76-8B1350A3A879 (resized).png
4C4F54A1-D69A-44ED-A947-AA3197E8FF61 (resized).png
6C67310B-0076-4B27-A950-E4821ECEFC17 (resized).jpeg
C5CC2DC9-3866-4069-A276-26EA1ACB23FC (resized).png
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

... this is no skin off my nuts. ...

Hate when that happens!

Agree as far as the new art: MEH

I'm admittedly not a huge Star Wars nut though. However, I do enjoy playing my SW Premium!

#102 4 years ago

Wow!

Over two pages already.

Most exciting release ever!

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wow!
Over two pages already.
Most exciting release ever!

Bubble has burst?

#104 4 years ago

Huge improvement over the original art... But if it's the same game then I still don't want it.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bubble has burst?

Pinsider's brains about to burst due to NIB overload.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

Wonder why C-3PO doesn’t feature on any of the artwork on the original or re-run editions of the Premium model?

Apparently C-3PO did not fit Stern's protocol for the premiums.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s ugly! Glad some of you like it.

Quoted from Orko:

This should have been the art from day one in my opinion.

Some prefer the new comic art and others prefer the original. It's great that there's something for everyone.
The only downside is current owners who may like the new comic art more than what they already have.

#107 4 years ago

Hopefully they will redo the side blade art too!

#108 4 years ago

Can’t imagine taking a hit on an existing SW and spending more for the artwork.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

So I own the game love the game had it for two years still love the game and I think the new art is amazing and it sucks that I have the old art

I would feel the same way too. The new art is so much better.

Quoted from seenev:

Huge improvement over the original art... But if it's the same game then I still don't want it.

Also this.

#110 4 years ago

I feel like the art on the play field and cabinet doesn't match the game now.
The cabinet and play field look fine, but the animation on the screen is still from the movie.
Basically you have two entirely different styles.

I feel like this would be way cooler is they replaced the movie clips with animation clips in this comic book style of the same scenes.

#111 4 years ago

If you tweak the game a little, it plays amazingly well and becomes one of the best shooters ever made. Plus the code depth of the game has few equals. Both art packages look quite good, but hard to beat the LE side armor and backbox artwork in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, with piano black powder coated armor. The LE looks the part of the Star Wars universe.

#112 4 years ago

Randy Ramirez interview :

#113 4 years ago

Can someone that knows him make sure Aurich is ok please?
Something must be wrong if a pinball machine with Comic Sans font has existed for 14 hours and no word from him.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Something must be wrong if a pinball machine with Comic Sans font has existed for 14 hours and no word from him.

It's not Comic Sans.

#115 4 years ago

I kind of like the artstyle, it Looks a bit retro and would look kinda cohesive next to the Data East SW Version, but it's a bit of a letdown that the whole composition of the playfield is the same.

I don't like the blueish centerpiece with the Millenium Falcon, because it Looks like a blend together mash up... and the comic version does nothing to make it look more homogeneous. (And the character artworks below the falcon look exactly the way as before, only with increased contrast and not in the same comic style as the cabinet artwork.)

But Overall:
It Looks nice. It's not too much work for Stern, so it's financially viable.
And increased sales would justify the late release of the topper, since many people that bought a SW 2 years ago wouldn't be hyped enough to buy a topper anymore.

And WE have more options.

#116 4 years ago

The new art looks awesome! Way better than the clip art that was just cut and pasted images everyone has seen a million times before.

Now if they could only make the rest of the game match the new art's awesomeness.....

-Paul

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It's not Comic Sans.

Shut up, he'll tell us that

#118 4 years ago

I'm thinking they wanted to do another run of Star Wars and commissioning new playfield art was cheaper than paying likeness royalties for the old photoshop art package.

#119 4 years ago

"Bold New Graphics"!!!

Classic way to try and generate sales on old things. I haven't owned this title yet, and it's certainly not because I didn't like the original artwork, even if this is indeed an improvement.

I've seen used Pros in the mid $4K's and premiums in the low $6K's, price is certainly right and it really isn't a "hot market" for this game as it stands.

That being said, I like the new art! Not as much as what they did to Spiderman though.

Now if they would just re-do Ironman with comic art, THAT would be a must have in my book.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

The cabinet and play field look fine, but the animation on the screen is still from the movie.
I feel like this would be way cooler is they replaced the movie clips with animation clips in this comic book style of the same scenes.

These were my exact thoughts. I am a huge comic book fan but to me the realistic rendition better portrays the animations and overall theme that are based on the movies-not the comics. This is just another attempt from Stern to try and capitalize on the franchise rights within a certain calendar year. I do not think they sold well initially and Stern has been trying to recapture the lost projected sales. They tried a home model and I do not think that sold very well either? This is their last ditch effort to try and sell more units? I do think the realistic version fits the theme better and the art version reminds me too much of Data East days.

By the way I just want to say how much I still love this game. It is still in my top five and it is a game you need to own and learn the rules and objectives to appreciate. I am happy for those looking forward to the comic version-it means more people will get to experience a fantastic game!

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

2019 Comment of the year!! You rock Aurich, but you have to admit that is funny!

#122 4 years ago

What’s the orange background flipper animation shown in that video with the artist? Is there an attract mode or something I haven’t seen before?

65A3F029-CF63-4D56-BCBC-8013FE2E7049 (resized).png65A3F029-CF63-4D56-BCBC-8013FE2E7049 (resized).png
#123 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What’s the orange background flipper animation shown in that video with the artist? Is there an attract mode or something I haven’t seen before?[quoted image]

Yes, it shows new players how to play pinball. It has been on the last few games. Perhaps that means a code update is coming?

#124 4 years ago

My goodness. Now this is PINBALL ART!!!!
I really like how this looks. I don't know if I'll ever get a star wars. But, man this is a looker.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What’s the orange background flipper animation shown in that video with the artist? Is there an attract mode or something I haven’t seen before?

I believe that animation was recorded from one of Stern's Supreme pinball machines.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes, it shows new players how to play pinball. It has been on the last few games. Perhaps that means a code update is coming?

Yes, if you watch long enough it shows layout and shots from the machine as well, at least on Iron Maiden. I haven't waited long enough on other machines.

#127 4 years ago

I think it looks good. I'm glad there's not a green rabbit walking on two legs shooting a blaster. Somebody out there know what I'm talking about...

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

I think it looks good. I'm glad there's not a green rabbit walking on two legs shooting a blaster. Somebody out there know what I'm talking about...

Jaxxon!!!!

081A26A1-81D8-46F4-B23E-FAD98ADC7797 (resized).jpeg081A26A1-81D8-46F4-B23E-FAD98ADC7797 (resized).jpeg
#129 4 years ago

Cant i just buy the decals?
Can re-skin an old SW with new art.
Cheapest way to go.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What’s the orange background flipper animation shown in that video with the artist? Is there an attract mode or something I haven’t seen before?[quoted image]

Its the same stern attract mode video showing how to flip and start games that has been in most all recent titles

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Cant i just buy the decals?
Can re-skin an old SW with new art.
Cheapest way to go.

I was thinking translite as well. But Stern is typically stingy with this stuff without a game attached to it.
233EB2EC-EAD3-40F7-9484-2B639B39491E (resized).jpeg233EB2EC-EAD3-40F7-9484-2B639B39491E (resized).jpeg

#132 4 years ago

I never had a problem with the cabinet/translite art on any model. It was always the playfield that was uninspired.

#133 4 years ago

original star wars price drop in 3...2...1!

#134 4 years ago

My first impression when the pics came out was "meh". However I think the new art looks better in the video than in the pics, my guess is in person it looks better than the video.

I am a big comic book art fan, if this version was available at launch I probably would've went for it, but not going to take a hit on selling my current one and then buy the new one and worry about playfield issues, etc.

#135 4 years ago

Are they going to sell just the translite?

I’d like to get one as art.

#136 4 years ago

Not bad but i just don't see it being a big seller. Vault a TSPP, TRON, or LOTR, and now GB, and watch them sell like hotcakes!

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Are they going to sell just the translite?
I’d like to get one as art.

I'd probably go as far as getting a game flyer. If it's free.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Dwight has recently updated GOT, GB and TM, I'm sure that SW will be next. It will certainly benefit from the latest common features like tutorial videos in attract mode, settings and high scores persistence, and the option to end a game.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not bad but i just don't see it being a big seller. Vault a TSPP, TRON, or LOTR, and now GB, and watch them sell like hotcakes!

The thing to remember about a game like Star Wars is a timeless theme. This game will sell for years to come. Sure it was not a hit with our collector community, but how many new players and buyers did it bring into the hobby. I bet that dealers gobble these up and buy a decent number to have on hand for the future. Easy 250-500 in sales.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The thing to remember about a game like Star Wars is a timeless theme. This game will sell for years to come. Sure it was not a hit with our collector community

This game is a hit amongst us too! Only those that have not given it proper play time have no idea what they’re missing. It has been a hit amongst those of us that have given it a chance to shine and indeed it does in spades! One of the best coded games of any company, with all kinds of depth and strategy. Tune it a little and it plays like a dream theme. Stern did a great job conveying the last battle scene from the first movie on the PF. It is as they say, “right on target”!

Who doesn’t love the red and blue light saber duel with all the lights off in the room. Impressive! So many approaches with 4 different characters. Just the right amount to choose from and not overwhelming and meaningless by having more characters.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The thing to remember about a game like Star Wars is a timeless theme. This game will sell for years to come. Sure it was not a hit with our collector community, but how many new players and buyers did it bring into the hobby. I bet that dealers gobble these up and buy a decent number to have on hand for the future. Easy 250-500 in sales.

I have zero inside information on sales numbers, but just based on what you see out on route I'd bet Star Wars has been Stern's best seller of games released in the last few years. They may not sell a ton of the new art package right away (Luci didn't sell a ton on the first run either) but it's cheap to reskin a game if you're not totally redoing the display animations. So if it results in a few hundred extra sales now, and then a dozen more here and there over the life of the license, it makes good business sense.

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I have zero inside information on sales numbers, but just based on what you see out on route I'd bet Star Wars has been Stern's best seller of games released in the last few years.

Who you gonna call?

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Who you gonna call?

Fair point, you see a few of those on route too. Funny that the games everyone likes to bitch about here probably make Stern the most money.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

They may not sell a ton of the new art package right away (Luci didn't sell a ton on the first run either)

Luci didn't sell because they already sold AC/DCs to almost everyone who wanted one, and many thought it was kinda ugly/cheesy and didn't really have anything to do with the band - plus, it clashed with the playfield style. This new SW is what most people wished SW looked like, and it's totally cohesive.

#146 4 years ago

Anyone else anxiously awaiting QC reports?

I reeeeally want this game but reeeeeally dont want a grenade.

I hope the clear is nice & glossy with no blistering.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Anyone else anxiously awaiting QC reports?
I reeeeally want this game but reeeeeally dont want a grenade.
I hope the clear is nice & glossy with no blistering.

haha that's adorable, haven't you read stern has no issues

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I agree, it's inconsistent with 2 different styles. I certainly have no complaint about my premium though. However, I do agree that this will likely affect the resale value of original art. Personally, I think the new pro art looks better than the premium...

#149 4 years ago

New pro cabinet is FIRE!

They should make 2 premiums. 1 in the pro cabinet, 1 in the premium cabinet.

Stern did that with Metallica. Hope they do it here.

Might as well wait & see. With Stern you can never buy too late, you can only buy too early.

#150 4 years ago

PLZ do new Artwork for GoT!!! XD

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-star-wars-art/page/3?hl=cdonnerusmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.