GIDimmerIns0_(resized).jpg
GIBlackoutDimmer_(resized).jpg
IMG_9867_(1)_(resized).JPG
shooterBeta_0127_(resized).JPG
ShooterBeta_0129_(resized).JPG
sstKnobDSC_0123_(resized).jpg
sstKnobDSC_0121_(resized).jpg
GI_Dimmer_FabB_appR2_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tekman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Fab B of the GI Dimmer appears to be mostly functional. On Fab B; I added 5 more GI channels via a daughter board.
In the software app; I added a "save" and "load" button so you can save, share, and restore settings (to a file)... although I don't know how I'm going to facilitate the save/load under Android.
Here's the preliminary GUI:
Fab B software App. (Preliminary)
I need to add the "laser override" capability to the firmware and verify that works as expected. All of the testing for Fab B has been on the bench/computer... need to move to the real machine soon.

I like where this is going!

What microcontroller are you using? It looks like you're using bluetooth and USB to handling configuration changes. Don't forget us Linux users!

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. You now have four people!

2 months later
#58 7 years ago

Zitt:

I received my GI Dimmer board today. When can we expect some documentation? I have my config xml file done. When you load it into the program it doesn't seem to show saved values except for naming changes and the sliders all default to 50 instead of what is saved in the xml file. This has the same result in both the windows and android versions. Also communication has been unsuccessful with both USB and bluetooth. Android bluetooth looked promising as it shows up but can't be paired. Windows 8 can't seem to find the board with any of the com options listed. Both attempts were under USB power only.

I was trying to at least get it setup and ready for installation. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing something simple and suppose I need to wait for the documentation.

Thanks.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I was able to connect via USB on both win7 and win10. Please check and make sure the inf file installs a driver UNDER comport below com10. Ie com1 - com9

This is what it says on Win 8...

Windows encountered a problem
Star Trek GI Dimmer 8MHz 3v3
The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information

This is causing an unknown device for me.

#61 7 years ago

Zitt:

I figured out how to get the INF to install. This procedure I found on the web works for unsigned drivers in Win8. Win7 and 10 have no issues with unsigned drivers.

Press Win-X - Then Command Prompt
Enter command "shutdown /r /o /f /t 00"
Click the "OK" button
System will restart to a "Choose an option" screen
Then select "Troubleshoot" from "Choose an option" screen
Then select "Advanced options" from "Troubleshoot" screen
Then select "Startup Settings" from "Advanced options" screen
Click "Restart" button
System will restart to "Advanced Boot Options" screen
Select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
Restart & install driver

Whenever you run the application in Win8 it needs to be run as 'Administrator' to work. I now have communication and was able to load my config!

The app still doesn't properly load a saved config and only shows default settings except for name label changes.
Still unable to get Android Bluetooth communication to pair.

I'm slowly getting there..

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

When you load settings; you HAVE to be connected to the device.
It will not work correctly if you attempt to load before connecting to the device.

That did it!

Quoted from Zitt:

One other thing; if you have "R13 or R14" on - the % value is ignored and it defaults to the "read" Resistor value.

Yep, I understand that. It was a little confusing at first.

Quoted from Zitt:

The Bluetooth is Low Energy. You don't pair to BLE devices.
On my phone; you turn on BLE ... then just run the app and click the BLE switch.
This will autoconnect to the device and start the slow process of reading settings from the Dimmer.
Then you should be able to do whatever you need to do.
Remember to turn on Bluetooth first; as the app won't prompt you to turn the bluetooth radio on. I forget many times and have to restart.

I use bluetooth devices daily ( headphones at the gym, my Honda CR-V, and sometimes my printer) on my Samsung Galaxy S7 without issue. Everything is turned on and shows as 'STGIBLE' in the list, I just can't communicate with it. If I manually select it, it says 'Pairing rejected by STGIBLE'. The bluetooth selection in the app just never seems to connect. At least I have USB working with Win8.

Now on to the hardware. The small daughter board has been removed and put in a safe place. It obviously looks like an add-on for the optional GI8-GI12 outputs and not needed for main operation. I'm confused by the 3-pin female connector hanging off the single GND wire from the board and loose 3-pin male connector in the bag. That's stopping me from installing it at the moment.

Sorry to bother you so much, at least we are documenting a nice FAQ at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

#69 7 years ago

Zitt:

Thanks for all the info. Everything went smoothly!

I also added the extra ground while I was in there. To get technical, you have the wired ground connector pinout reversed if you want to match the lower silkscreen image for where the black 3-pin connector is soldered in. I simply unlocked the wire from the connector and moved it to the opposite end. I know I could have soldered it in the other direction and left the wired connector alone.

This is a great mod and makes a huge improvement!

I'm still afraid Samsung Galaxy 7 owners are out of luck with Bluetooth BLE communication.

My config is set as follows:

Normal CH0-3 = 100% CH7 = ON (KBOP)
Dark CH0 = 35, CH1 = 10, CH2 = 0, CH3 = 15, CH7 = OFF (KBOP)

Tekman_STLEGI_(resized).jpgTekman_STLEGI_(resized).jpg

#71 7 years ago

Zitt:

As for the screws, I didn't want to use phillips head screws just for the sake of uniformity. Sorry, I didn't even look to see if they were too long. I used some 1-1/4" hex heads I had in my stock. They were just long enough to work but wouldn't hurt to be a tab bit longer.

Piggy-backing wasn't an issue at all. It seats evenly without stress on the main board. As long as you take a few cautious seconds to go down evenly with the board it's easy enough to do. Kudos to you for getting those tolerances perfect like that.

I would like to see the app load configs without having to have physical communication with the board first. Maybe an indicator flag is visible when the device and app are not in sync so you know you have to load.

Next time I'm under the PF I'll lock the BLE for sure.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tekman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-star-trek-products?tu=Tekman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.