GIDimmerIns0_(resized).jpg
GIBlackoutDimmer_(resized).jpg
IMG_9867_(1)_(resized).JPG
shooterBeta_0127_(resized).JPG
ShooterBeta_0129_(resized).JPG
sstKnobDSC_0123_(resized).jpg
sstKnobDSC_0121_(resized).jpg
GI_Dimmer_FabB_appR2_(resized).png
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I'm happy to announce that I have three new products for the Stern Star Trek Premium/LE machines coming in the next few months. These will all be demonstrated on my LE in my "Star Trek 50th Anniversary" booth at TPF 2016 (Stern_Star_Trek Laser upgrades in Blue, Green, and Red. Blue will be featured on my machine at TPF.
Blue Laser for Stern Star TrekBlue Laser for Stern Star Trek
higher rez
HD Comparison videos against the stock laser are included on the product page at: http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html

2) Stern_Star_Trek_GI Dimmer w/ blackout will make it's debut with settings for both "Normal" and active-laser "Klingon MultiBall" modes. This PCB features 4 additional AUXillary channels which now control the side art leds, Klingon Bird of Prey, and USS Kelvin Stadium LEDs (below) in my demo game. I don't yet have a video of this in action; I hope to capture something at TPF.
GI Dimmer w/ BlackoutGI Dimmer w/ Blackout
higher rez
Learn more at: http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-star-trek-gi-dimmer-p-41.html

3) My implementation of the Stern_Star_Trek_USS Kelvin will be present just above the beta ramp.
USS Kelvin w/ Stadium LEDsUSS Kelvin w/ Stadium LEDs
higher rez
My version includes the bracket and 3 neutral white LEDs to spotlight the USS Kelvin above that ramp.

Of course all of my machines will include our current products where applicable. This includes the Stern Star Trek PopCaps and other mods I've created over the years. Please stop by our booth and play some games on these machines and if you see an 40-something bearded guy with glasses around them... it's probably me. Don't forget Star_Trek: The Mirror Universe will be there so don't miss it.

Not going to TPF?! What's wrong with you?

1 month later
#3 8 years ago

Bump for a cool dude.....

#4 7 years ago

Fab B of the GI Dimmer appears to be mostly functional. On Fab B; I added 5 more GI channels via a daughter board.
In the software app; I added a "save" and "load" button so you can save, share, and restore settings (to a file)... although I don't know how I'm going to facilitate the save/load under Android.

Here's the preliminary GUI:
Fab B software App. (Preliminary)Fab B software App. (Preliminary)

I need to add the "laser override" capability to the firmware and verify that works as expected. All of the testing for Fab B has been on the bench/computer... need to move to the real machine soon.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Fab B of the GI Dimmer appears to be mostly functional. On Fab B; I added 5 more GI channels via a daughter board.
In the software app; I added a "save" and "load" button so you can save, share, and restore settings (to a file)... although I don't know how I'm going to facilitate the save/load under Android.
Here's the preliminary GUI:
Fab B software App. (Preliminary)
I need to add the "laser override" capability to the firmware and verify that works as expected. All of the testing for Fab B has been on the bench/computer... need to move to the real machine soon.

I like where this is going!

What microcontroller are you using? It looks like you're using bluetooth and USB to handling configuration changes. Don't forget us Linux users!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

What microcontroller are you using? It looks like you're using bluetooth and USB to handling configuration changes. Don't forget us Linux users!

Atmel Mega32U4 w/ bluetooth nrf8001
Correct; you can use USB or BLE to modify settings. An undocumented; usually works feature is that you can you both at the same time. It's not something I'd recommend tho.

No current plans on Linux. But; maybe you'll get it for free as the APP is designed in Unity for cross platform support.
I'll have to compile it for Linux and see what kind of capability is has. I won't be doing massive testing in Linux because having just two "OSes" is proving bad enough.

So far; I'm not even sure the effort I'm putting into this product is worth it... as I've had like three people show interest in the product via the "notify on restock" link on the product page.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. You now have four people!

#8 7 years ago

Time to guess... I've been working on this product:
Guess meGuess me

I've "erased" the name of the pcb as it'll give it away... anyone want to wager what it is?
And yes; it is for a Stern Star Trek pinball machine.

Excuse me what I go install it to see how it fits.

#9 7 years ago

Looks great, how difficult is the install?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Guess me
I've "erased" the name of the pcb as it'll give it away... anyone want to wager what it is?

Nice, is that for the backboard? I want one!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Looks great, how difficult is the install?

The two main pieces aren't that bad... but the smaller "top" pieces are a little more difficult given they have to be wired in.
One of the pieces no longer makes since; now that I tried to install it. I'll probably "drop" that piece given that.

I need to work finish the GI Dimmer debug so I can wire it into an Auxiliary channel for some pictures.

Quoted from parabol420:

Nice, is that for the backboard? I want one!

Is that a question or a statement? You people need to be sure of yourselves when you guess.

#12 7 years ago

Definitely for the backboard and frankly looks much better than anything else currently out there. How does it look installed? It's gotta be better than the strip's of color changers.

#13 7 years ago

Its a new version of the Nebula Mod!

Quoted from Zitt:

Guess me

#14 7 years ago

Zitt,i would love to have your mods on my pin! But,don't laugh,i don't understand your level of achievement! I can't figure out what some of your mods actually do,cause i'm not that into your level of understanding this technology! You must be a electrical engineer,with a high level of education in this field! Your mods are in a class by themselves! I just wish i knew what it all does!Keep up the fine work,someday i'll wake up! Your pal,me!!!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Definitely for the backboard and frankly looks much better than anything else currently out there. How does it look installed? It's gotta be better than the strip's of color changers.

Quoted from ilovegames:

Its a new version of the Nebula Mod!

Ok; how did you guys figure this out? I'd have thought the abstract nature of the shape of the pcbs would have limited your ability to guess.

Who else is selling a Nebula mod? I recall that someone ?pinball refinery? had talked about something like this in the past... with strips as described and it somehow connected to the colordmd and GI to change colors; but I don't recall actually seeing it hit the market or be sold. I'm curious because if I have competition; it might be smarter to do this as a one-off mod for myself and actually not bring it into production.

I'll grab some pictures when I have it hooked up. The design and my plan is to connect it to one of the PWMed GI channels on my dimmer; so the brightness can be changed between normal and Klingon Multiball Laser modes.

Quoted from hawkmoon:

Zitt,i would love to have your mods on my pin! But,don't laugh,i don't understand your level of achievement! I can't figure out what some of your mods actually do,cause i'm not that into your level of understanding this technology! You must be a electrical engineer,with a high level of education in this field! Your mods are in a class by themselves! I just wish i knew what it all does!Keep up the fine work,someday i'll wake up! Your pal,me!!!

That's an awesome but concerning situation. I appreciate you find my mods in a class by them selves; but I'm a little concerned that their complication is keeping you from understanding the product(s).

I am an electrical and software engineer... only a BSEE because I don't have time or patiences for a school's interpretation of what it means to be a PHD or Master in that field. Regardless; thanks.

If you can identify specific areas that you have limited understanding in - I may help me address the concerns with a bigger audience.

#16 7 years ago

I think some people have installed LED strips ... but no-one's designed custom PCB light boards.

Will be very curious to see video of it in action! Do take before and after shots / video, if you can.

#17 7 years ago

I vaguely remember a similar mod and think this was it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-star-trek-nebula-mod-from-pinball-refinery-very-cool?responsive=0

I am also curious to see what this one will look like.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I vaguely remember a similar mod and think this was it
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-star-trek-nebula-mod-from-pinball-refinery-very-cool?responsive=0
I am also curious to see what this one will look like.

Judging by the boards, Zitt's ought to look rather better. I'll definitely be interested, price dependent.

#19 7 years ago

Hello,

Picking up a STLE this week and would like an upgraded laser and blackout mod. Is the blackout mod available yet? Also, what is the consensus on what color laser looks best / shows up the most. It appeared that the green looked the most vibrant in the video.

Also, could the Blackout mod come pre-programmed for the multiball stage and whatever you think is best for the other modes? I do not have an android phone or machine - just an iphone and a HP windows 8.1.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Will be very curious to see video of it in action! Do take before and after shots / video, if you can.

Sorry, I didn't grab a before picture. And this one is focused on the Vengence instead of the backboard.
I've already pulled the GI Dimmer for more software/App development... so I'll have to grab better pictures later.
Stern Star Trek: Nebula modStern Star Trek: Nebula mod
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/26159666533/sizes/o/

IMHO; it look very nice in real life. The leds reflect nicely off of the backboard art giving me a perception of stars in the nebula. Again; I'll try to grab better pictures in the near future.

Quoted from glasairpilot:

. Is the blackout mod available yet?

No. Mine is still one to two months out.

Also, could the Blackout mod come pre-programmed for the multiball stage and whatever you think is best for the other modes?

The default configuration of the device is planned to be programmed to use the on-board resistors to set the multiball stage. Other than that; I am not planning on pre-programming any devices as the tastes of the customer with vary greatly.
You should be able to use your HP Win8.1 machine to program the device using a microUSB cable. I can and do program it with my Windows 7 desktop ... but for "in machine" programming you'll need/want something more mobile.

I am planning on providing my setting "profiles" on the webpage for people to download, use, and modify.

Unfortunately Apple products are generally out of the question given the amount of red-tape a developer has to go thru to get an "app" on their store. Namely; you have to supply them with hardware (the GI dimmer and I'm assuming - a pinball machine) for them to test / approve the app.

#21 7 years ago

Ordered your laser in green. Ready for the blackout mod when you are. Thanks.

#22 7 years ago

Ordered your laser in green. Ready for the blackout mod when you are. Thanks.

As did I. Just got my premium back and looking forward to the green laser show!

#23 7 years ago

Todd... your green laser went out by Priority Mail this afternoon.

I got the GI Dimmer back in the machine and got the tripod out ... so here are the requested before and after pictures of the Star Trek Nebula mod I'm prototyping:

BeforeBefore
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/26779243606/sizes/o/

AfterAfter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/26199945143/sizes/o/

#24 7 years ago

I assume it will remain lit when GI dimmer cuts in? Should look its best then.

#25 7 years ago

With the dimmer, you decide.
I have mine set for 7% during the laser show... and 25% normally.

#26 7 years ago

The green Laser is a 1000% improvement. So much brighter than it is not even comparable. Install note: Do NOT push the new laser all the way into the mounting hole until it stops. If you do it will keep the motor from turning the diffuser disk as the laser will bind against the disk and the belt will slip on the motor.

Very nice mod.

#27 7 years ago

Glad you got it installed properly and are happy with the product.

#28 7 years ago

For those that are interested; I've created a product page for the nebula mod:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-star-trek-nebula-p-15.html

Please add your name to the wishlist by clicking the "OutOfStock" red text on the top of that page. This will help me judge demand and ensure I order enough for interested people. I'd expect the pricing to be "on par" with our other products such as the WingLEDs but won't know for sure until I begin the quoting process. The PCB size may play a role on this mod.

#29 7 years ago

The nebula mod looks great. I like the subtle nature of it.

1 week later
#30 7 years ago

I'm pleased to say that I feel like the Firmware and the App are nearing competition. I have all the features I wanted in the microcontroller firmware... and the App has all of the features I feel are absolutely necessary. While I expect the production versions to ship with complete firmware... I felt it was necessary to include a firmware update option. Unfortunately; this update is only available to windows machines and will require a USB connection. Here's the latest GUI:
App - nearly completeApp - nearly complete

I added editable labels to each channel because I found it was confusing to me to remember which channel controls what. Because of EEPROM limitations; these strings cannot be "uploaded" and stored permanently in the Dimmer - instead they are stored locally on the device used to program settings. Additionally; they are stored when you "save" a setting profile or restored when you load.

I need to come up with a App icon and put finishing touches on FabC's design. Hopefully; the design will be submitted for quote by end of the month.

Comments? Suggestions?

#31 7 years ago

Very nice. Looking forward to the mod. This along with the green laser you provided will be perfect.

2 weeks later
#32 7 years ago

Ok. I got quotes back from my contract manufacturer.

For the Dimmer; looks like a street price north of $160.
Kelvin Stadium LEDs north of $55
Nebula north of $60

These are preliminary prices... based upon demand of people that have expressed an interest via the out-of-stock link on the product pages. Basically; given the low volumes of these products are driving higher component costs and the assembly costs which can not be mitigated by machine placement due to said low volumes. The Dimmer is expensive because of high component count/costs and the lengthy final test procedure.

Lead time is about a month from when I pull the trigger.

#33 7 years ago

I will take all three please

#34 7 years ago

Mayboyz... if you haven't already done so; please add yourself to the "demand list" at the top of each product page by clicking the red link “Out of Stock, Get notified when re-stocked“ at the top of each page.

Here's each product page for your reference:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-star-trek-nebula-p-15.html
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-uss-kelvin-stadiumleds-p-8.html
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-star-trek-gi-dimmer-p-41.html

The Laser glasairpilot was talking about is here:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html

And PopCaps if you missed them are here:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-stern-star-trek-popcaps-p-31.html

I'm planning on "pulling the tigger" on the quotes as soon as I get some soon to be out-of-stock STNG WingLEDs quoted. Probably Friday.

#35 7 years ago

All - I've changed my mind based upon later data from my contract manufacturer. I'm going to re-quote with some other companies because at the moment I don't thinking I'm getting us the best possible price here. Example: the Kelvin design shouldn't be that high unless the industry has significantly changed their pricing structure.

It may ultimately be a waste of time... but I feel like it's in all of our best interest to get some more quotes.

#36 7 years ago

Sounds good! Signed up for the nebula list

#37 7 years ago

I found the cause of the higher prices... The contract manufacturer uses machines to pick and place the components which is cost prohibitive to lower volumes. I have the quotes out to a couple of vendors; so we'll see how much if any we can reduce the price.

I suspect that the Dimmer will remain on pick-n-place machinery and at the current pricing; as there are several hundred components to place in that design.

I need to maximize the number of boards ordered... so; if you are interested in any of these designs - please load your demand via the red link “Out of Stock, Get notified when re-stocked“ at the top of each page. Doing so will get you a one-time, time limited 10% off coupon code for the product when it goes in stock. If I can get 50 people interested in each design; the assembly costs become cheaper. Here's each product page for your reference:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-uss-kelvin-stadiumleds-p-8.html
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-star-trek-star-trek-gi-dimmer-p-41.html

PS: everyone on the demand list will get a coupon. No need to re-signup if you've already done it.

#39 7 years ago

Today is the last day I'm taking "pre-order" demand loads for these new designs.

I intend to only order enough boards to satisfy demand

; so, if you are interested in any of these designs - please load your demand via the red link “Out of Stock, Get notified when re-stocked“ at the top of each product page. Doing so will get you a one-time, time limited 10% off coupon code for the product when it goes in stock. If I can get 50 people interested in each design; the assembly costs become cheaper... making the product cheaper for everyone. Here's each product page for your reference:

Looks like there will be only 20 or so of each design - the nebula and dimmer being the most popular. It doesn't look like we'll get to 50 people by tonight.

#40 7 years ago

This weekend; I spend a little time on my biggest customer... Me!
I've been wanting to customize the shooter on my Stern Star Trek; while keeping it looking somewhat stock. I toyed with the idea of getting one of Modelvisionary's Star trek shooter rods (plungers); but ... honestly where's the fun in that.
Over the Memorial day weekend; I came across some Star trek lapel pins and thought they might make a nice embellishment in the shooter rod handle. Originally; I was going to mill my existing shooter rod to take the lapel pin... but I figured I'd have some work holding issues on my miniCNC mill... and a very real risk of breaking the very small endmills needed for the project.

So this weekend; I set about trying to do some fit checks with some 3D printing; here's the result:
fit check 3D printingfit check 3D printing
fit check 3D printingfit check 3D printing

Obviously; this 3D printing is very ugly and unacceptable... it's really just a physical check to make sure I got the knob "inset" correct for the pin.

Right now the plan is to have the knob base printed via shapeways - maybe in raw Aluminum which will be expensive at $80, powdercoat it, and make a high end shooter out of it. I'm thinking I'll try to powdercoat in the same candy blue as the LE then epoxy in the pin to the knob.

Right now; there isn't a plan on selling these as they would defiantly be at the top end of the market. Just a one off for me; unless there is significant interest.

What do you guys think?

#41 7 years ago

We got close enough on the Nebula to bump the quantities. There will be price improvement but it's difficult to pin this down until I get the shipping and can calculate the costs properly.

The dimmer and kelvin did not gain enough interest to actually bump the quantities so do not expect much improvement there.

Quoted Lead Time is about 30days from when I order - which I expect to do tonight. I'll post more updates as we get closer to the availabilities.

#42 7 years ago

I meant to post this a couple of days ago...

Orders for all the products are done. Leadtime is expected to be near the first of the month because there was a holiday overseas.

The following products were part of the larger order:
PWM Dimmer
Stern Star Trek Nebula
Stern Kelvin StadiumLEDs
STNG KBOP WingLEDs (Red)
Rollover LEDs Rev B in Natural White

So, expect and update in about 17 or so days.

1 week later
#43 7 years ago

Got my beta shooter knob from Shapeways today:
LE Blue - BetaLE Blue - Beta

LE Blue backsideLE Blue backside

#44 7 years ago

That's plastic, though, right? Not aluminium?

#45 7 years ago

Right. Nylon. I was simply testing to see how it fit. I still need to get a blank rod to ensure the threads are right.

#46 7 years ago

have you thought about a black powdercoat with some of the metallic and purple flecks, to make it look like a star-filled sky ... or a two tone black and purple?

I think it'd better fit the colour scheme of all three machine variants then.

#47 7 years ago

I've thought about a lot of things TBH.
I'm going to try and cast mine in pewter and powdercoat in LE blue.
I may try black with holographic flake clear and maybe a candy apple red.
I don't yet have the materials to make casts; so that's a future project.

#48 7 years ago

Just got word from the contract manufacturer that the GI Dimmer PCB had to be redone. When they sent me confirmation pictures of the bare PCB; I noticed it was missing key Silkscreen labels. This had to be redone - As a result; we've lost some time. Right now; I don't know exactly when the new ship date will be.

1 week later
#49 7 years ago

PCBs finally came back with Red silkscreen.. and well; you couldn't see the silkscreen against the black soldermask.
They redid the PCBs for a third time... with yellow silkscreen... which actually worked. Here's the blank PCBs before they go into assembly:

bare PCB - GI Dimmer (C) 2016 by Pinball-Mods.combare PCB - GI Dimmer (C) 2016 by Pinball-Mods.com

1 week later
#50 7 years ago

First Sample has completed assembly. Awaiting final test results before we turn on full production:
First Sample - GIDimmer (C)2016First Sample - GIDimmer (C)2016

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-star-trek-products and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.