EHOH ba connector rear (resized).JPG
EHOH ba wiring (resized).JPG
EHOH front door ba cutout (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
DBA CN9 SPIKE 2 (resized).jpg
9 pin connection (resized).jpg
IMG_0706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0705 (resized).jpeg
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first two new sterns for my small route (Stern SW and GOTG). I wanted to buy a bill validator for each machine. Could someone point me in the right direction for what they use.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 5 years ago

you need 110 volt up stacker validator. ICT, Pyramid, Mars etc etc. I recommend mars personally. They are easy to rebuild and will last a long time. Can usually pick up a used one for around 100 on ebay or sometimes on here if people are selling some off. Whatever you buy make sure it comes with the harness.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

you need 110 volt up stacker validator. ICT, Pyramid, Mars etc etc. I recommend mars personally. They are easy to rebuild and will last a long time. Can usually pick up a used one for around 100 on ebay or sometimes on here if people are selling some off. Whatever you buy make sure it comes with the harness.

I thought they went to 12v to keep the HV off the door.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

I thought they went to 12v to keep the HV off the door.

Some companies have gone 12v, stern has not, they come with an extra power cable you have to run from the backbox to the coin door area, so from the factory they do not come wired for 110v at the coin door, is something you do yourself (very simple, requires running the cable and just plugging it in.)

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Some companies have gone 12v, stern has not, they come with an extra power cable you have to run from the backbox to the coin door area, so from the factory they do not come wired for 110v at the coin door, is something you do yourself (very simple, requires running the cable and just plugging it in.)

OK, wasn't sure, just was looking for clarification.

#6 5 years ago

Is there a website link somewhere to a brand new (with harness) you could share?

#7 5 years ago

Make sure you test for correct crediting. For a while there, USA 4 would work while another labeled the same value did not.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Is there a website link somewhere to a brand new (with harness) you could share?

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=483_484&products_id=703

I order from twisted quarter for a lot of my arcade parts and never had an issue. Or if you want here is the same validator from marco specialties but for more money.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A6-15SCP-USD4-II

Also note i have never used an ICT validator, i always use Mars ones that i find for cheap on ebay and rebuild however new in box mars ones are usually in the 350-400 dollar range.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=483_484&products_id=703
I order from twisted quarter for a lot of my arcade parts and never had an issue. Or if you want here is the same validator from marco specialties but for more money.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A6-15SCP-USD4-II
Also note i have never used an ICT validator, i always use Mars ones that i find for cheap on ebay and rebuild however new in box mars ones are usually in the 350-400 dollar range.

Ok.. So is this plug and play then? (after i attach the cord that Stern provide to run from head to coin door) I wont need anything? juts buy this for $179 bucks and I'm all set?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I wont need anything?

Any validator you buy. Be sure the stacker holds 300 bills or less, or it won't fit. Most new validators come with 500 count holders or more.

LTG : )

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any validator you buy. Be sure the stacker holds 300 bills or less, or it won't fit. Most new validators come with 500 count holders or more.

Do you have a link to one with a stacker that holds 300 or less

#12 5 years ago

i have a mars

MARS AE2611U3 takes $1,2,5,10,$20, NEW BILLS TO, REBUILT BILL ACCEPTOR DBV DBA 115vac
i can sell for $195 shipped.
yes it will work in sterns.
message me with interest.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

No. Best check with who you buy it from.

MARS ( MEI ) stackers stay about the same. You can always find smaller stackers on Ebay and swap them. Some companies like ICT have changed them, so older smaller stackers won't fit.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Actually that's no longer entirely correct the new stern's can accommodate 500 bill stackers. You can tell the difference where the entire black portion of the stacker face will fit into the coin door. Also the full 5' cable to the head may also be included in your purchase.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Actually that's no longer entirely correct the new stern's can accommodate 500 bill stackers. You can tell the difference where the entire black portion of the stacker face will fit into the coin door. Also the full 5' cable to the head may also be included in your purchase.

even more confused now... I opened the GOTG and it indeed did have the that 5' cable.

Does this even come with a stacker?

#16 5 years ago

Yes it has a stacker on the back. Check with Twisted to see how many bills it holds.

#17 5 years ago

Beston shows that part number as being a 500 bill magazine.

https://www.betsonparts.com/a6-15scpus4-110-v-validator.html

So, as Beebl points out, it may not fit unless its the correct DBV coin door. And smaller replacement bill boxes are not usually dirt cheap.

FWIW, it was our experience that you will have more jams with ICT and Apex acceptors than with MEI. You are better off getting a good used MEI than to worry about buying a new acceptor.

When new, the Magazine size is in the MEI part number : Near the end (Like U3E), U (Upstacker) or D (Downstacker) 2,3,5,7,10 (200-1000 bills) Last letter, E for single price harness or M for MDB (Vending) harness. But when buying used, beware of exactly what size magazine you will receive.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Beebl points out, it may not fit unless its the correct DBV coin door. And smaller replacement bill boxes are not usually dirt cheap.

Agree with Cactus i use Mars/MEI validators, generally considered most reliable. MEI w/500 bill stacker fits in my KISS no problem, I don't know for sure about the ICT. I believe both SW and GOTG have the new style coin door.

#19 5 years ago

Yeah i have 500 count stackers in a few of my newer sterns.

#20 5 years ago

Here is the cheapest refurb'd mars i have found so far.

https://www.vendingworld.com/mars-vn2511-bill-validator.php

$153 with the harness, and you can upgrade to a large 500 stacker for an extra $25, I would double check to make sure it comes with a 300 stacker if you dont upgrade to the 500 as it does not specify.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Here is the cheapest refurb'd mars i have found so far.

https://www.vendingworld.com/mars-vn2511-bill-validator.php

$153 with the harness, and you can upgrade to a large 500 stacker for an extra $25, I would double check to make sure it comes with a 300 stacker if you dont upgrade to the 500 as it does not specify.

Only takes $1's - won't accept larger denomination bills. You might not need $20's, but 5's and 10's are nice.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Only takes $1's - won't accept larger denomination bills. You might not need $20's, but 5's and 10's are nice.

While i agree ad have those types on validators on most of my games, everyone might not care. Just in case here is a refurb'd one that takes 1 and 5's for 184 with the harness.

https://www.vendingworld.com/mars-vn2511-110-volt-1-5-bill-validator-flash-port.php

#23 5 years ago

I personally prefer MEI validators. Have them on all our games, and they just work. Like others have said, the 300 or smaller style bill boxes. The cable that runs from the backbox into the front is a snap to install. I'd recommend reaching out to Chris at KingPinGames as I know he usually has used ones for sale at a good price. We've purchased a number from him in the past - reliable seller.

#24 5 years ago

The VN2511 doesn’t have an always enable mode so you will also need an enable plug. You want to find an AE2451 or an AE2411 and hack off the front left corner of the bezel to fit it on the coin door.

#25 5 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys.. I am going to review everything above and then get something.

#26 5 years ago

We upgraded to newer 115v acceptors that take $1, $5, $10, $20 as well as some 12v DBAs, so I've got a few good 2411's with 300 bill stackers that only take $1s that I'd sell for $90, but you'd still need the $15 (new price) harness. Since these have been used on a route in current pins already, the dip switch settings are all set to go. PM if you're interested.

1 year later
#27 4 years ago

Is there a setting inside of the Spike 2 menu that enables the bill validator? I am trying to install PayRange devices and they don’t seem to get any power from the 9 pin as it is.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Is there a setting inside of the Spike 2 menu that enables the bill validator?

No. The setting just turns on or off the message on the screen.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Is there a setting inside of the Spike 2 menu that enables the bill validator? I am trying to install PayRange devices and they don’t seem to get any power from the 9 pin as it is.

What the heck is a "PayRange" dollar bill acceptor? I've never heard of them.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I am trying to install PayRange devices and they don’t seem to get any power from the 9 pin as it is.

Pin 9 is usually 12 VDC neutral. I don't think you get power there.

You should from pin 5 ( 12 VDC + ) to pin 9.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It isn’t a bill acceptor, they are Bluetooth devices that let people coin up with their phone. I got some newer ones from a local guy who used to run then and I’ve never hooked them to the 9 pin.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

We were going to try them on some cigarette machines and a few pins, but their CC fee is high. Plus, I feel customers would be confused by having to use the Payrange app. Payrange had a big presence at AMOA Expo and IAAPA a few years ago and I haven’t seen anything of them since.

I’ve been tempted to put a credit card reader on a pinball and see what happens. I know which location to try it. I’ve just been reluctant because I’m just tired of the extra fees and bookkeeping and bullshit. Between Looneytunes (y’all know em as Touchtunes), AMI, Incredible Technologies, and USA Technologies (the brand of credit card reader we use), it’s a bookkeeping nightmare. No wonder my account is so wealthy! I pay him all my damned money to decipher all these monthly statements!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Stern stopped including the cable that goes between the backbox and 9-pin. It is a big fat 2 wire cable. I called stern when I had the same issue with BKSoR and they sent me one for free.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

We were going to try them on some cigarette machines and a few pins, but their CC fee is high. Plus, I feel customers would be confused by having to use the Payrange app. Payrange had a big presence at AMOA Expo and IAAPA a few years ago and I haven’t seen anything of them since.
I’ve been tempted to put a credit card reader on a pinball and see what happens. I know which location to try it. I’ve just been reluctant because I’m just tired of the extra fees and bookkeeping and bullshit. Between Looneytunes (y’all know em as Touchtunes), AMI, Incredible Technologies, and USA Technologies (the brand of credit card reader we use), it’s a bookkeeping nightmare. No wonder my account is so wealthy! I pay him all my damned money to decipher all these monthly statements!

Yeah, I have a few of them. Basically I like the concept but their prices are shit. I went so far as to design another device that would let me pay from an iOS or Android mobile wallet, but then quickly realized PayRange has an insane amount of patents which would make it very hard for me to create something I would ultimately sell.

#35 4 years ago

On the Mars/MEI 9 pin connector in the Stern pinball machines, here is the wiring pinout for 120v ac acceptors:

Pin 4: AC120v "Hot" (black)

Pin 6: AC120v "Neutral" (white)

Pin 7: credit switch pulse

Pin 8: credit switch pulse

If you have a brand new machine and the bill acceptor AC power cable which is supposed to run from the backbox to the coin door was not included in the machine, contact your Stern Pinball distributor. They will send you one for free. It's Stern part number 036-5700-10.

If you need to use 12 volt DC bill acceptors, you will need to crimp/stuff new pins into the 9 pin connector at the appropriate locations. Tyco/Amp (TE Connectivity) # 770987-1 Pin (18-22 AWG) or Mouser Electronics # 571-7709871.

Pin 5: +12 volts DC power

Pin 9: power ground
12 volt bill acceptor pinout (resized).jpg12 volt bill acceptor pinout (resized).jpg

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

On the Mars/MEI 9 pin connector in the Stern pinball machines, here is the wiring pinout for 120v ac acceptors:
Pin 4: AC120v "Hot" (black)
Pin 6: AC120v "Neutral" (white)
If you have a brand new machine and the bill acceptor AC power cable which is supposed to run from the backbox to the coin door was not included in the machine, contact your Stern Pinball distributor. They will send you one for free.
If you need to use 12 volt DC bill acceptors, you will need to crimp/stuff new pins into the 9 pin connector at the appropriate locations. Tyco/Amp (TE Connectivity) # 770987-1 Pin (18-22 AWG) or Mouser Electronics # 571-7709871.
Pin 9: power ground[quoted image]

Oh interesting, so Stern will send me the 120v AC? Where does it hook into? I was planning on just buying some cheap extension cords and running it from the service outlet in the back box.

The PayRange devices are a trip, there is no way to tell how they are pinned since it looks like they did a few different things to support multiple applications. The one thing I do know is the 120v AC hot and neutral. The guy who sold them to me had a plug in there that is basically a two pronged US plug down to a 9 pin connector. When I hooked that up, the device turned right on.

I was going to make my own version of that, I just need to figure out what wires come out of the PayRange device to trigger the credit pulses.

PayRange will probably respond to my email tomorrow and help me out.

#38 4 years ago

PayRange has an installation video for installing their unit in a pinball machine:

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

PayRange has an installation video for installing their unit in a pinball machine:

Yeah, but the guy just plugs it into the 9 pin then says “done”. I assume that game has 120 at the door? Ty for all of this help though!

#40 4 years ago

The Bill validator will require the Paula Jones/Lewinski converter

#41 4 years ago

Here are the Stern instructions....from when they used to include the power cable extension.
Stern Bill Validator Instructions (resized).jpgStern Bill Validator Instructions (resized).jpg

PS: If anyone needs a splitter for the Bill Validator power connection because you want to run a mod that uses that connection (Deluxe SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit or PowerBladez) AND a Bill Validator....I sell them on my website for $6.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Accessories.html

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Yeah, but the guy just plugs it into the 9 pin then says “done”. I assume that game has 120 at the door? Ty for all of this help though!

Yes, machines that are wired for a 120 volt ac bill acceptor will have 120 volts ac available at the door.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Yeah, but the guy just plugs it into the 9 pin then says “done”. I assume that game has 120 at the door?

You assumed right. It's a World Cup Soccer. Williams was including the 9 pin connector for 120 AC in pinball machines around then.

#44 4 years ago

So on a brand new stern machine, pin 4 is +12VDC and pin 6 is what?

KenLayton mentioned the following:
Pin 9: power ground

But on my machines they are pinned to 4, 6, 8 and 9.

IMG_0705 (resized).jpegIMG_0705 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpeg
#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

nd pin 6 is what?

For 120 AC.

Pin 4 is the other 120 AC.

Have you searched for bill validator 9 pin pinouts ? There are pdf manuals on line with this.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

For 120 AC.
Pin 4 is the other 120 AC.
Have you searched for bill validator 9 pin pinouts ? There are pdf manuals on line with this.

I found a bunch of stuff online, including @kenlayton’s other posts, but I have yet to see something from Stern that explains exactly what this is.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying Stern pins this thing for 120VAC, but never actually hooks it up? So essentially the wires currently in there are dead?

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I found a bunch of stuff online, including kenlayton’s other posts, but I have yet to see something from Stern that explains exactly what this is.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying Stern pins this thing for 120VAC, but never actually hooks it up? So essentially the wires currently in there are dead?

Because Stern is not the ones setting this plug's standard. (Because they didn't 'invent' it. It's the same effin' 9-pin plug that was used in WPC games 25+ years go.)
It is a DBA standard.

Look in a Mars/MEI Installation Guide for ANY of the AE2x00 model DBAs. (In the AE2400 manual revision "GA", it's on PDF page 6 of 6.)

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Because Stern is not the ones setting this plug's standard. (Because they didn't 'invent' it. It's the same effin' 9-pin plug that was used in WPC games 25+ years go.)
It is a DBA standard.
Look in a Mars/MEI Installation Guide for ANY of the AE2x00 model DBAs. (In the AE2400 manual revision "GA", it's on PDF page 6 of 6.)

Exactly. Mars invented the 9 pin wiring standard for bill acceptors. Stern wires the machine to Mars standards for 120 volt AC bill acceptors.

If a person wants to use 12 volt DC bill acceptors, you need to add two wires (for +12 volts and power ground) and connector pins to the 9 pin harness connector in order to use 12 dc bill acceptors.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Yes, a Stern SPIKE 2 game has the 9 pin connector on the coin door from the factory.......BUT you need to run the 120 volts AC (from the connection in the back box up to the left hand side, inside the coin door, below the cabinet node 1 board) or it will have no power and the 9 pin connection will be useless.

See the Stern instructions I posted about 8 posts above this.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yes, a Stern SPIKE 2 game has the 9 pin connector on the coin door from the factory.......BUT you need to run the 120 volts AC (from the connection in the back box up to the left hand side, inside the coin door, below the cabinet node 1 board) or it will have no power and the 9 pin connection will be useless.
See the Stern instructions I posted about 8 posts above this.

Yes, those instructions are super clear thank you. I am just surprised that they would go through the trouble of installing the 9 pin if it isn’t technically hooked to anything. If you wanted 12VDC where do you pull that from? Also wouldn’t you have to repin the connector to work with a different voltage?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-pins-bill-validators and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.