(Topic ID: 90795)

New Stern Machine?

By gearheaddropping

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-2.png
    10300633_10152276636533197_954127492793714258_n.jpg
    image-714.jpg
    Whathehellyoustarinat.jpeg
    image-975.jpg
    image-348.jpg
    image-736.jpg
    134360.jpg
    134391.jpg
    alaskan-bush-people-998x.jpg
    the-who.jpg
    maxresdefault[1].jpg
    sophie-polkamp.jpg
    eva-de-goede-dutch-field-hockey-player.jpg
    149477339.jpg
    toysr.jpg
    There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
    #251 9 years ago

Really ? Then i hope it's Maiden

#252 9 years ago

it's going to be a music pin ... that's sure...

#253 9 years ago

It's The Walking Dead for sure and the main toy is a prison that kind of looks like the MM castle, and there are drop targets scattered around the playfield ala CC that will represent Zombies that need to be killed.
    It's gonna rock!

#254 9 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

It's The Walking Dead ... It's gonna rock!

than no, its gonna bite !!!

#255 9 years ago

I really hope it's not Guardians of the galaxy..

#256 9 years ago

Suzi Quatro will be the nest music pin.....I hope!!

#257 9 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I don't care what it is. Stern is either going have to lower their prices or increase their quality and features (multiple playfields, more active toys, upgrade to a LCD display etc) to match JJP to get me to buy anymore of their NIB games.
    If they wanna run with the big dogs on the price they are gonna have to upgrade their games to match the competition.

Well said! Stern really needs to step it up in the interactive toys department to add value to their games. It seems like Stern is choosing to add "value" with more and more features that don't interact with the ball or the game at all.

If Stern is going to charge $7.5k+ for an LE they need to match JJP in the interactive toys and complete deep code department to get anymore of my money. I know some people will say "yeah but you can get an LE right now for Mustang and have to wait 6 months for The Hobbit". After owning a WOZECLE for 6 months I don't mind waiting another 6 months for a game on that level.

#258 9 years ago

There's nothing that indicates that picture is the next new pin or even prototype. If it Is they must be going back to the old style speaker grill and dmd.

#259 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well said! Stern really needs to step it up in the interactive toys department to add value to their games. It seems like Stern is choosing to add "value" with more and more features that don't interact with the ball or the game at all.
    If Stern is going to charge $7.5k+ for an LE they need to match JJP in the interactive toys and complete deep code department to get anymore of my money. I know some people will say "yeah but you can get an LE right now for Mustang and have to wait 6 months for The Hobbit". After owning a WOZECLE for 6 months I don't mind waiting another 6 months for a game on that level.

I've never seen anyone so overly obsessed with the number of toys on a playfield in my life.

#260 9 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

There's nothing that indicates that picture is the next new pin or even prototype. If it Is they must be going back to the old style speaker grill and dmd.

Yes, and they're also hurting for decent call outs. The music is really cool, but that's about it.

#261 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I've never seen anyone so overly obsessed with the number of toys on a playfield in my life.

wonderful-toys.gifwonderful-toys.gif

#262 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Now Dawn of Justice (Superman V Batman). Yet another Dawn.

It was confirmed that Rithcie would do another Superman as I know Stern has that license, but thats a way way ways off

#263 9 years ago

I also hate the beginning of this thread with a stripped Avengers cabinet. Not the new game or new system.

#265 9 years ago

Yes, looks like the next pin will be hockey themed!

#266 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

We need one someday. I don't care what others say.

#267 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Well, yes interactive toys are important to me when I'm spending $7.5k on a pinball machine of all things. I'm ultimately not spending that type of money on a pin mainly for a games powder coated armor, strobing lights, etc but rather toys and features that actually interact with the ball because...it's a pinball machine.

Stern needs to refocus on putting more interactive toys in their games if they want me and others to consider their LE types games at $7.5k+. What's nice about a game like WOZ ECLE is yes you get powder coated parts (interior too, not on a Stern), a direct print clear coated cabinet (not on a Stern), a topper (not included with a Stern), a clear coated wood apron (not on a Stern) but also a game that uses newer technology such as an LCD (not on a Stern) with a lot of interactive toys.

Please don't think either that I don't like Stern games as I do and own an ACDC which I enjoy. I just think they are out of their mind charging $7.5k+ for some of their games and would like to see them justify those prices with more interactive toys and tech such as an LCD for the display.

#268 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Amen to that.... I would be first in line for a hockey themed game with nhl licensing + moving goalie like in world cup.

#269 9 years ago

More toys do not necessarily equal a better game. SM has no toys that the ball actually interacts with. Ditto with AFM.

Also, what has really detracted from my enjoyment of games like Star Trek or AC/DC is first and foremost that they don't have a clear-coated wood apron or a clear-coated cabinet!!!!

PS: +1 on a Hockey machine, but that is unlikely to happen.

#271 9 years ago

I would love a hockey themed machine, as long as it is not NY Rangers themed! Go Canadiens tonight!

#272 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern needs to refocus on putting more interactive toys in their games...

#273 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

pinballkim said:

It would need a domed playfield glass to really be cool. GO FLYERS!

#274 9 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

It's The Walking Dead for sure and the main toy is a prison that kind of looks like the MM castle, and there are drop targets scattered around the playfield ala CC that will represent Zombies that need to be killed.

If it's that...I'm in!

Robert

#275 9 years ago

100% for sure its the Hobbit!

#276 9 years ago

What about the awesome interactive WOZ topper that was supposed to blow our minds? Instead it ended up being a Lasergraphic topper thrown together at the last minute and no nicer than the $130 ones found on many of our Sterns and WPC games.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

a clear coated wood apron (not on a Stern)

LOL! You count that as a "feature"?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

with a lot of interactive toys.

Back to this again. I keep scratching my head to figure out where are all of these interactive toys? The flying monkey that is nothing but a rehash of the motorcycle in Banzai Run and not nearly as cool? The wicked witch that you can barely see inside her $2 plastic bubble? The feet that are ten times too big that pop out for a second every now and again? The exciting spinning house on the "one trick pony" upper playfield? The crystal ball is cool no doubt. The trumper bumpers that move up and down? Is that interaction? The only really truly "interactive" toy I can think of is the doors on the upper left playfield. Even that is not that exciting.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

technology such as an LCD (not on a Stern)

I don't see the draw here. The monitor is just too big and prominent to have PS2 level graphics on it in a PS4/Bluray world. It just doesn't give me a boner. Something in between what Stern has and what JJP has would be good. A 14 inch LCD would work. It's pinball not a video game and the big screen pushes that balance out of whack. I'd rather not see that much development money sucked out of each game to make graphics that are impressive in today's world. Not to mention I like a full sized translite and the speakers down where they belong.

That said, WOZ is a fun game, especially with the new software. You should pump it up for what it is and not what it isn't. It is not full of "interactive toys" by any stretch of the imagination. The software in WOZ is great and interactive feeling and there is no doubt that it is solid and beautifully finished along with a nice sound system.

Now if you want to see a machine with interactive toys, look at TZ with the clock, gumball machine and magnetic playfield. Stern IJ and CSI have as many interactive toys as WOZ and I don't see people raving about what great games they are. Toys are not the only thing that makes a game great. Once again, I think WoZ is a fun game, I just don't buy your canned rant that you spew in every Stern thread.

#277 9 years ago

#278 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

What about the awesome interactive WOZ topper that was supposed to blow our minds? Instead it ended up being a Lasergraphic topper thrown together at the last minute and no nicer than the $130 ones found on many of our Sterns and WPC games.

LOL! You count that as a "feature"?

Back to this again. I keep scratching my head to figure out where are all of these interactive toys? The flying monkey that is nothing but a rehash of the motorcycle in Banzai Run and not nearly as cool? The wicked witch that you can barely see inside her $2 plastic bubble? The feet that are ten times too big that pop out for a second every now and again? The exciting spinning house on the "one trick pony" upper playfield? The crystal ball is cool no doubt. The trumper bumpers that move up and down? Is that interaction? The only really truly "interactive" toy I can think of is the doors on the upper left playfield. Even that is not that exciting.

I don't see the draw here. The monitor is just too big and prominent to have PS2 level graphics on it in a PS4/Bluray world. It just doesn't give me a boner. Something in between what Stern has and what JJP has would be good. A 14 inch LCD would work. It's pinball not a video game and the big screen pushes that balance out of whack. I'd rather not see that much development money sucked out of each game to make graphics that are impressive in today's world. Not to mention I like a full sized translite and the speakers down where they belong.
    That said, WOZ is a fun game, especially with the new software. You should pump it up for what it is and not what it isn't. It is not full of "interactive toys" by any stretch of the imagination. The software in WOZ is great and interactive feeling and there is no doubt that it is solid and beautifully finished along with a nice sound system.
    Now if you want to see a machine with interactive toys, look at TZ with the clock, gumball machine and magnetic playfield. Stern IJ and CSI have as many interactive toys as WOZ and I don't see people raving about what great games they are. Toys are not the only thing that makes a game great. Once again, I think WoZ is a fun game, I just don't buy your canned rant that you spew in every Stern thread.

At least you get a topper with a JJP game at $7.5k. At least you get a clear coated apron with a JJP game at $7.5k. At least you get a clear coated direct printed with a JJP game at $7.5k. At least you get an LCD for the display with a JJP game at $7.5k. You get none of those things with a Stern game at that price and that's why I brought up those points.

Also, I own a TZ in addition to WOZ and think WOZ is just as interactive as that game. I see that you forget the monkey toy with magnet in WOZ, the 4 other magnets, two mini outlane games, the second door on the upper mini playfield and the fact that both mini playfields have flippers. Hmmm and your one trick pony comment? Last time I checked my TZ mini playfield doesn't do anything else other what it's intended to do...like all pinball machine toys. Oh, I also think that the gumball machine in my TZ isn't to scale compared to a real life gumball machine. Give me a break. Also, I don't recall there being a single video mode on WOZ unlike one of the DMD games you mentioned. Should we go back to using rotary dial phones because all a phone should do is have phyiscal buttons, call and that's it. Everyone is out there paying $200 for new rotary phones just like they are for iPhones. Hmmmm...

I don't spew this in every Stern thread so don't even go there after Stern fanboys have been infesting WOZ threads for 6+ months. Have I ever gone into a Metallica code update thread and started crap...nope. Has the opposite happened in WOZ code update threads...yes. WOZ owners have had to listen to a lot of crap for months on so I don't feel bad about bringing up points on value here like others have said.

I also said I like Stern games. I bought a NIB ACDC Premium last year and enjoy playing it every single time. Heck, I have a cousin that wants to buy a new pinball machine and I recommended a Star Trek pro for his tastes. I'm not sitting there saying "WOZ is the second coming" by any means haha. My comments were regarding how Stern should offer more in their games at the higher end price points like JJP does. Myself and others would be more likely to spend WOZ type money on Stern games if they offered a comparable amount of features and toys.

#279 9 years ago

How about Ancient Aliens. Come on history channel and stern.

#280 9 years ago

It's too bad JJP spent all that money on toys and they ran out of money to pay for ramps.

Also, real talk, you can't even buy a NIB WOZ for $7.5k, even a Standard, so this conversation is pointless. Just like you can't buy a NIB JJP for $4.5k like you can with Stern. Thank goodness someone is still making games that are vaguely affordable.

#281 9 years ago

Does everything need to turn into the JJP vs. Stern argument?

#282 9 years ago

It's a super special hockey/golf sports edition featuring Paulina Gretzky! Because other than being the daughter of a hockey legend and banging a golf player for his money makes her an expert on both sports

#283 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's too bad JJP spent all that money on toys and they ran out of money to pay for ramps.

#284 9 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I would love a hockey themed machine

fieldhockey... lol

149477339.jpg149477339.jpg

eva-de-goede-dutch-field-hockey-player.jpgeva-de-goede-dutch-field-hockey-player.jpg

sophie-polkamp.jpgsophie-polkamp.jpg

#285 9 years ago

WOW! Tell those Dutch guys working on The Big Lebowski to get that thing done and onto the Field Hockey pin!!!!!!

Quoted from goalzzz:

fieldhockey... lol

149477339.jpg 38 KB

eva-de-goede-dutch-field-hockey-... 32 KB

sophie-polkamp.jpg 68 KB

#286 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Also, real talk, you can't even buy a NIB WOZ for $7.5k, even a Standard, so this conversation is pointless. Just like you can't buy a NIB JJP for $4.5k like you can with Stern. Thank goodness someone is still making games that are vaguely affordable.

Lol...True.

#287 9 years ago

Does every game have to have 2 or more ramps to be fun? I think not. I would rather have 2 mini pf than another ramp. Jmo

#288 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Tell those Dutch guys working on The Big Lebowski to get that thing done and onto the Field Hockey pin

Or just do slapshot (f*ckng machine took my quarter, TOOK MY QUARTER!)
    maxresdefault[1].jpgmaxresdefault[1].jpg

#289 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I rather have mini playfields, 5 magnets, mini outlane games and crystal ball type toys then a left ramp / right ramp layout type game with one main toy for $7.5k. $8k is retail for a NIB WOZ standard and I believe they can be found for around the $7.5k mark? I bought my WOZECLE for around $7.5k last year and pre-ordered my Hobbit LE at the same price.

I'm glad that Stern is still making a pro level type of game as well. I think that some of Stern's pro models offer a decent value for what they come with and consider purchasing a ST pro from time to time. I hope that whatever game comes next from Stern is great and that they sell a ton of them.

#290 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I rather have mini playfields, 5 magnets, mini outlane games and crystal ball type toys then a left and right ramp layout type game with one main toy for $7.5k. $8k is retail for a NIB WOZ standard and I believe they can be found for around the $7.5k mark?
    I'm glad that Stern is still making a pro level type of game as well. I think that some of Stern's pro models offer a decent value for what they come with. I hope that whatever games comes next from Stern is great and that they sell a ton of them.

We get it to each their own. I'd rather have XM pro, MET pro, or ST pro over WOZ. For some gameplay trumps trinkets and toys. No one is wrong or right it's all preference. Not to mention you don't need to put $7,000 down two years in advance for Stern pins. Just sayin since you seem hell bent on making this a Stern vs. JJP thread for some reason.

#291 9 years ago
    Quoted from goalzzz:

fieldhockey... lol

149477339.jpg 38 KB

eva-de-goede-dutch-field-hockey-... 32 KB

sophie-polkamp.jpg 68 KB

Holy God.

#292 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Does every game have to have 2 or more ramps to be fun?

No, of course not. Just like every game doesn't need a mini playfield (or two) to be fun. It's just disingenuous to list these vaguely interactive elements as "toys" like they're a big deal, magnets and rollover targets are just standard tools for the game. A ramp is just another thing for the ball to interact with. No one is constantly bringing up what a cool toy the garage door on TSPP is for instance.

I think WOZ is interesting. I'm just sick of sycophants like Panzer constantly going on and on about all the wonderful toys WOZ has, when really it's just a handful of things that really aren't all that special or unique. The Shadow's magnet ball lock is way cooler than the monkey, and hell, it's upper playfield is more fun to me than either of WOZ's. It's from 1994! Metallica has a cool interactive magnet character, along with the interactive snake and hammer, and yes, ramps. It's hardly stripped down bullshit.

Where WOZ shines is in the rules, lighting (well, when it works, and when the GI isn't too dim, and when the rainbow pulsing isn't shimmering like a heat wave) and unique gameplay. Unique because it plays differently than other games, not because it's so full of toys. Just talk about it on its actual merits, instead of trying to inflate things.

I really hope Stern isn't trying to copy JJP at all, to try and steer this back on topic.

#293 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

We get it to each their own. I'd rather have XM pro, MET pro, or ST pro over WOZ. For some gameplay trumps trinkets and toys. No one is wrong or right it's all preference. Not to mention you don't need to put $7,000 down two years in advance for Stern pins. Just sayin since you seem hell bent on making this a Stern vs. JJP thread for some reason.

Not hell bent on making this a Stern vs. JJP thread. I don't want that either but I'm not afraid to stand up for JJP when several others have insulted them for months on end. If I was hell bent I wouldn't have ended my last statement with...

"I'm glad that Stern is still making a pro level type of game as well. I think that some of Stern's pro models offer a decent value for what they come with and consider purchasing a ST pro from time to time. I hope that whatever game comes next from Stern is great and that they sell a ton of them."

I heard that Stern's next game may very well be The Walking Dead and with that theme I may consider buying a pro if the toys and layout seem cool.

#294 9 years ago

Next Stern Pin will be "The Who", they are celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year.. In addition to Mustang.

the-who.jpgthe-who.jpg

#295 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just sick of sycophants like Panzer constantly going on and on about all the wonderful toys WOZ has, when really it's just a handful of things that really aren't all that special or unique.

Really? Now name calling?

#296 9 years ago

In what universe will people be waiting 6 months for The Hobbit ?

#297 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think WOZ is interesting. I'm just sick of sycophants like Panzer constantly going on and on about all the wonderful toys WOZ has, when really it's just a handful of things that really aren't all that special or unique. The Shadow's magnet ball lock is way cooler than the monkey, and hell, it's upper playfield is more fun to me than either of WOZ's. It's from 1994! Metallica has a cool interactive magnet character, along with the interactive snake and hammer, and yes, ramps. It's hardly stripped down bullshit.

Couldn't agree more.

To me one of the more impressive aspects of WOZ is that it appears to have a deep and complicated ruleset, with tons of stacking ability. That is probably the most intriguing aspect of WOZ to me. Not the alleged overabundance of "toys that interact with the ball".

#298 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern really needs to step it up in the interactive toys department to add value to their games. It seems like Stern is choosing to add "value" with more and more features that don't interact with the ball or the game at all.

Have you played Metallica ? It's f***ing awesome!

Post edited by moderator: Language

#299 9 years ago

Besides next Stern music pin is "Rush" just look at John Borg's FB page.

Edit: I'm just starting a rumor..so don't get excited.

#300 9 years ago

duck dynasty is no longer the "hot" show..... i wanna see one of these pins made

alaskan-bush-people-998x.jpgalaskan-bush-people-998x.jpg

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-machine/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.