(Topic ID: 174833)

New Stern Lockbar latch system

By thall17

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Am I the only one that doesn't mind, actually kinda like the new lock bar latch system??

#2 7 years ago

Yes, you are the only one on the entire planet....

#3 7 years ago

I like the latches. I feel the lockdown bar doesn't wiggle as much anymore

#4 7 years ago

Not really all that new anymore but I love it. Holds the bar down much better and doesn't really take that much more time to install/remove.

It's one of the few changes Stern made that I actually liked.

#5 7 years ago

I actually really dig it on our ST Pro. It feels really secure in place and doesn't have that 'rattle around' feel that some old lock bars have. I can remember times on the previous designs where I've tried a slight nudge and just moved the lock bar maybe 1/4", especially when nudging forward. I don't get that feel at all now, and one additional locking mechanism that takes all of 1 second to lock/unlock is worth it to me.

#6 7 years ago

I like it better much tighter

#7 7 years ago

Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it! It has all the feel of a video game control panel. Why don't they just install a joystick in the lockdown bar too?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it! It has all the feel of a video game control panel. Why don't they just install a joystick in the lockdown bar too?

Coming soon. This pinball features a screen instead of a playfield and no moving parts!

#9 7 years ago

I much prefer the new system. Simple and secure.

#10 7 years ago

Yeah I prefer the new latches

#11 7 years ago

I don't hate it. It's growing on me and I may even prefer it after some more use...

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

It has all the feel of a video game control panel.

So ... it feels like another commercial game application that's been successful in the wild for decades?

I hate the damn pegs, the latches are fine with me. Secure and no big deal to use.

#13 7 years ago

For location games that get beer spilled on them, the tighter latch sometimes makes the lockdown bar almost impossible to get off the machine. I've had to pry lockdown bars off with a flatblade screw driver since the bar is stuck to the glass.

#14 7 years ago

So they've redesigned it once again?

People are still getting used to the one from 3 years ago.

#15 7 years ago

No BRAND new latch, this discussion is about the change from 3 years ago.

#16 7 years ago

I understand. If it comes on a game like Metallica, I can see how some might consider it "new".

#17 7 years ago

On my Tron pro I had a few years ago, the latch and the bar would dig into and cut the decals on the front of the cab. Have they fixed this?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

On my Tron pro I had a few years ago, the latch and the bar would dig into and cut the decals on the front of the cab. Have they fixed this?

Only if you or a subsequent owner had new decals installed. Funny, that's something I would tend to remember even with an early onset of alzheimers.

#19 7 years ago

I did a review on it when it was first introduced. I think the comparison to video game control panels is accurate and the reason I like them. Everything else sucked like playfield pegs, center inserts with edges from day one and scope holes worn by game 300.

Now we have a new way of bolting heads and even turning it on.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Only if you or a subsequent owner had new decals installed. Funny, that's something I would tend to remember even with an early onset of alzheimers.

Well my Tron was a later run and did indeed have factory decals.

#21 7 years ago

I like them nice and tight

#22 7 years ago

Anyone have an original set that they want to trade for the new latch style...... Looking for one with a fire button but would do either as I have both.

#23 7 years ago

First game to feature the change was Avatar, for those who care about such things. The Avatar LE had the traditional locking mechanism, the Pro had the video game control panel latches.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Well my Tron was a later run and did indeed have factory decals.

I had one of those LEs for a while. Badass game. Maybe cheapest BOM yet, but it works.

#25 7 years ago

New latches can be too tight and crinkle the decal. Le should stay true to the classic design and still come with lock down bar. The rest well latches are fine I suppose.

You do all realise it is a cost cutting venture from Stern, nothing more nothing less. It's cheaper that's why they did it not to be more practical or convenient for the owner.

#26 7 years ago

LE's coming with a Batmobile topper.What more do you need?

#27 7 years ago

I personally prefer the new latch system. Took some time to get used to, but I like it better now.

#28 7 years ago

I like the new latch system as well.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I like them nice and tight

+1

#29 7 years ago

I don't mind it although I still prefer the older style.

Get rid of those playfield pegs and bring back the rails!

#30 7 years ago

it's not really a "new" system. the williams joust (1983) used the same latching system

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sammy31:

The pegs are horrible. I'm going to add rails to mine but that means $60 and some drilling of the playfield :/

#32 7 years ago

Old guys never like change I am sure the flipper was an abomination back in the day

#33 7 years ago

pegs suck, switch placement sucks, new latch system sucks.

These are all continual ways for Stern to reduce BOM without care as to the final product they are pushing out the door with continual unfinished code and the new revelation of code that actually gets buggier as updates arrive...

All these things especially suck for the route perspective.

The pegs suck since they are cheap and wobbly and increase chance of dropping the pf and causing more damage. Also sucks to have 1 position to put the game in for service.

The switch placement stinks as now bar staff are confused where to find the switch and makes it worse when having multiple different switch position games. Also means no easy service outlet to work on the game, blargh!!!

The latch system means bars get frozen to the glass from even minor beer or soda spillage. The latch system gouges the cab and decals also.

All just cheap crap that Stern does to reduce BOM but charge even more. People need to really start factoring in some of these parts add-on costs that are being pushed to the consumer. A 5k pro would cost and additional $200-250 just to get it back with the regular pro feature of a traditional game.

Always make me wonder what is the next thing to shave on cost?

We all know the metal for mechs is thinner and crappier compostion.
    Wonder how long before they eliminate coin mech all together?

Surprised the head does not completely disappear to shave more costs.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Old guys never like change I am sure the flipper was an abomination back in the day

change is good! so long as it is actual improvements.

This is 100% for cost with lots of issues.

For those that say the new latch system is tighter, you can adjust a traditional/good lock down mech to be the exact level of tightness you want and it can be done in minutes.

Other crappy thing about the new latch system is the abilty to inadvertantly not lock the bar down but still put in place.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sammy31:

Agree, the pegs suck. I don't understand the decision, other than being greedy, for Stern to put pegs on the pro. A NIB Stern pro is $5k. $5k is a lot of money and a ton of money for a toy of all things. I don't think including serivce rails that likely cost Stern $10 on $5k pros is asking much.

Everything I said above is mainly out of frustration as Stern continues to cut back on games, offers less quality, takes forever with code updates and does so while raising prices.

As much as I want to buy a NIB Ghostbusters its hard to fork over $5k- $8k to a company like Stern that lately acts as if doesn't give a $hit in terms of offering value, quality and proper code support.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree, the pegs suck. I don't understand the decision, other than being greedy, for Stern to put pegs on the pro. A NIB Stern pro is $5k. $5k is a lot of money and a ton of money for a toy of all things. I don't think including serivce rails that likely cost Stern $10 on $5k pros is asking much.
    Everything I said above is mainly out of frustration as Stern continues to cut back on games, offers less quality, takes forever with code updates and does so while raising prices.
    As much as I want to buy a NIB Ghostbusters its hard to fork over $5k- $8k to a company like Stern that lately acts as if doesn't give a $hit in terms of offering value, quality and proper code support.

Good thing they haven't removed the most important part ... games that are actually fun to play.

Like the latch system.

#37 7 years ago

Like: latches
    Hate: pegs
    Compromise: slingshot brackets for rails

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from windoesnot:

Like: latches
    Hate: pegs
    Compromise: slingshot brackets for rails

YES, YES, YES

Suggestion: maybe put up a poll to see what the overall consensus is?
    I have heard that Steve Ritchie likes the latches and insisted that they go on the Premiums and LE's as well...

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

it's not really a "new" system. the williams joust (1983) used the same latching system

And CGC used the same system in 2003. So not really new.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Good thing they haven't removed the most important part ... games that are actually fun to play.
    Like the latch system.

Oh yeah, they are still fun to play. However, at some point what we are getting for $5k- $8k isn't worth that asking price due to the cost cutting measures, lack of QC, and lack of code updates.

People pay $50 all the time for a 16oz ribeye from Ruths Chris, its awesome and tastes great. Would I pay $200 for the same steak just because its good? No. Same goes for paying $100k for a standard Mustang GT, fun car to drive but not worth $100k.

#41 7 years ago

Maybe Stern should just add the mech as a mod. People like to buy mods.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

You do all realise it is a cost cutting venture from Stern, nothing more nothing less.

You do realize that cheaper can also be better? That is not the case with the pegs but definitely the case with the latches. Win/win in that case.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

However, at some point what we are getting for $5k

Who beside Stern still has anything even close to $5K? A Pro Stern is all about bang for the buck and creates much higher volume to go along with the collector oriented offerings. That is a big part of how they are mopping the floor with the competition. Personally I don't buy Pros, but I love the fact that their is a choice.

#43 7 years ago

The latches are fine, but on Can Crusher where you have to lift the playfield to get them on. That's just poor design engineering.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-lockbar-latch-system?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.