Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Gorgar666
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

22BA24FC-2103-4CE3-B7AD-5E45F3E98CC0 (resized).jpeg
    935BCC51-E01A-4716-817D-76DF4CD61835 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Does anyone have a new Stern. In their hot garage during the summer? Been thinking about moving mine out of the house. A buddy of mine has Metallica And the Munsters In his Garage for one year in the Texas heat.

#2 4 years ago

Had to do a double take on the title. At first I thought it said “New Stern: Hot Garbage”. I think I need a nap.

#4 4 years ago

I don't think it is so much, just the heat (or cold) that is the problem it is humidity and drastic temperature changes (going from super hot to super cold). Where you live I'd be most concerned with the humidity and it causing planking in the PF's.

#5 4 years ago

Houston Texas.My buddy swears up and down it will not affect his machines but it’s only been one year. I currently have a F14 and no fear in the garage going on two years with no problem... Not so sure about these newer Sterns. Iron maiden and Jurassic Park..

#6 4 years ago

I would have a large dehumidifier plugged in 24/7 if I had my games in the garage.

#7 4 years ago

I have A window Unit in the wall, my garage is very poorly insulated...double door. Trying not to spend that much on electricity if possible...

#8 4 years ago

If you have humidity like Houston, I’d advise against it. Unless you are willing to insulate the garage and run AC or a dehumidifier.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

I have A window Unit the the wall, my garage is very poorly insulated...double door.

I've also heard that humidity combined with temp swings is the big risk to games. Do you run the A/C all summer? If so that should help with the humidity.

You could also consider insulating your garage. Just did mine last fall, it's a bit of work but not terribly expensive, and pretty awesome how much of a difference it makes, summer and winter. Plus you can then efficiently cool (or heat) the space full time and get more use out of it all year long.

#10 4 years ago

I just A/c to play f14 and no fear Old Plasma Tv and pioneer stereo , beer during the summer. It kind of sucks out in the garage drinking with the boys and then we have to go inside the house to play the newer ones.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Does anyone have a new Stern. In their hot garage during the summer? Been thinking about moving mine out of the house. A buddy of mine has Metallica And the Munsters In his Garage for one year in the Texas heat.

I'd be more worried about the humidity in La Porte.

Quoted from titanpenguin:

If you have humidity like Houston, I’d advise against it. Unless you are willing to insulate the garage and run AC or a dehumidifier.

It's southeast of Houston, right on the water...

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

I just A/c to play f14 and no fear Old Plasma Tv and pioneer stereo , beer during the summer. It kind of sucks out in the garage drinking with the boys and then we have to go inside the house to play the newer ones.

You should seriously look into insulation so all of the games can live in one spot! There are lots of websites (garagejournal.com has a great forum) and Youtube how-to videos if you want to save a few bucks and DIY it. If you're OK with the rustic look you can "finish" with plywood or OSB instead of drywall -- cheaper, you can hang stuff off of it, and you won't immediately scuff it up if you're still using your garage as a garage. I imagine the big issue in a super-humid place is figuring out the right way to do vapor barrier so you don't end up trapping moisture and get mold, but someone on the internet must know how to do insulation in your environment.

#13 4 years ago

Stern's new Hot Garbage?!
    Oh wait...this isn't the usual pinside thread WTF???

#14 4 years ago

had several games in the garage over the course of 2 years, from 105 in the summer with 90% humidity to -10 below in the winter. no problems.

#15 4 years ago

I'm in Houston, no way would I ever put a pin in my garage...way too many temp and humidity fluctuations, not to mention dust & dirt. Over time, the wood swelling and shrinking from the extremes will take it's toll. Expect popped inserts, warping and loose cabinets, corroded electronics, extra wear on mechanicals...the list goes on. Can you? Sure...Should you...That depends how long you intend on keeping the pins. I know people in Texas like to view their garages as partial living space (I'm originally from Michigan) but I would never even consider it. I would look into a room expansion or and outdoor rec building

#16 4 years ago

I’m in NY so with weather changes I finished ground floor level garage. The garage is heated in the winter and I run a dehumidifier during summer with no issues.

22BA24FC-2103-4CE3-B7AD-5E45F3E98CC0 (resized).jpeg22BA24FC-2103-4CE3-B7AD-5E45F3E98CC0 (resized).jpeg935BCC51-E01A-4716-817D-76DF4CD61835 (resized).jpeg935BCC51-E01A-4716-817D-76DF4CD61835 (resized).jpeg
    #17 4 years ago

I picked up a FT about a year ago that came from someone keeping it in a garage close to the coast. It had a lot of corrosion, some planking, and such. Nothing major but I wouldn't want to risk having those issues on a new expensive Stern. It might take years to see those problems so maybe it's no big deal if you trade out games every year or so. I just think it would be miserable playing pins in a hot garage 5-6 months out of the year. Plus you have all kinds of bugs and critters that would love to make a pin their home. If I had to put pins in my garage, I would definitely look into insulating it better, having some temperature control, and a plan to keep bugs out.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zwovr6:

I’m in NY so with weather changes I finished ground floor level garage. The garage is heated in the winter and I run a dehumidifier during summer with no issues.[quoted image][quoted image]

I see so many pimped out garages in NY... why not just invest in an expansion or finished basement (if not already) instead of just taking up your garage! Unless you still occasionally park your car in it. Otherwise I don’t see why not just ripping out the door and hardware and making it into a genuine room

2 years later
    #19 1 year ago

2 years later. I ended up adding a 15 BTU A/C and insulated the ceiling and garage door. My collection grew from 4 to 12. The comfort is real. Lol.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-hot-garage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.