Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

How prone to fading are the new Stern cabinets? I’m paranoid about it since half the 90’s games have faded red. I have my FF right next to a window with sheer curtains. It might be there for weeks or even months. I know I can cover it - but has anyone had a modern cabinet fade?

Wade

#3 11 months ago

Not worth finding out if the advice you get is wrong, just cover it temporarily until it won't be in that situation.

#4 11 months ago

I use the same wax on my cabinet decals as I do on the playfield - P21S. Should guard against UV fade and takes about 5 minutes to apply. Much easier than covering

#5 11 months ago

I would never put any pin near a window.

#6 11 months ago

The sun will always win. It will fade, but probably wouldn’t be noticeable for a while or without reference. You can UV block the window though.

#7 11 months ago

Ugh. I was hoping an operator who had no choice but to put his near a window would chime in. Guess I’m cover it when not playing until it gets moved.

Wade

#8 11 months ago

I don't have any experience with fade on a decaled Stern, but the POTC I had a few years back had some sun fade on one side. It was near a window at CEC.

#9 11 months ago

Unfortunately, I have my pins in an area with windows. I put a UV film on the windows and haven't noticed any fading.

#10 11 months ago

Get some of those thick heat blocking curtains for that window, you’ll be fine.

#11 11 months ago

Honestly, I’ve not seen a Spike stern with any fade, not one.
    Show me a picture of one if anyone else has seen fade on a Spike Stern.

#12 11 months ago

Question is akin to asking if you’ll get a sunburn if you don’t put on sunscreen.

Don’t wait to see - the sun always wins.

#13 11 months ago

Well all it takes is one person posting a picture of a faded spike 2 and we’ll all know for sure, right?

Wade

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Honestly, I’ve not seen a Spike stern with any fade, not one.
    Show me a picture of one if anyone else has seen fade on a Spike Stern.

Same. I just got an elvira hoh, and it was slightly adjacent to mild occasional sunlight and I got nervous. But then I thought; I have yet to see one fade like Williams games. I sorta feel like they don't, but would love a pic to be proven wrong.

1 month later
    #15 10 months ago

Bumping. Still wondering if anyone has a faded one yet?

#16 10 months ago

I had a red spiderman for many years by the window and zero fading.

#17 10 months ago

I never put a pin near a window anyways not worth trying to find out

7 months later
    #18 87 days ago

Clearly, the "I never put any pins near a window" folks don't have enough pinballs.

#19 87 days ago

Just put some blind up or if you do close them if a little light comes through now a problem that won’t do anything it’s when the sun beams on the cabinets is when it fades not just light

#20 87 days ago

None of these modern sterns have enough "time" on them to show fade.
    How old is a 90s Williams with fade?
    How about those 70s ballys with paint?

Update this thread in 2053 with your observations and empirical testing.

#21 86 days ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

None of these modern sterns have enough "time" on them to show fade

Just because a game is 30+ years old doesn’t mean it wasn’t faded a year or two after it was produced, the Bally Williams did.
    We are not seeing that from Sterns.
    Not saying time won’t take a toll or they won’t ever fade at all, but they are obviously not fading as quickly, nor as drastically.

#22 86 days ago

The sun will always win in the long run if u have too put a pin beside a window just put up some good blinds

#23 86 days ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Just because a game is 30+ years old doesn’t mean it wasn’t faded a year or two after it was produced, the Bally Williams did.

Yep all of those things faded quickly in non-uv protected enviorns, and when you think about it they were not using exterior paint etc on these disposable machines either, also many HOU owners of any stern knew about cabinet/backglass fade etc and would have protected their machines.

#24 86 days ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

None of these modern sterns have enough "time" on them to show fade.
    How old is a 90s Williams with fade?
    How about those 70s ballys with paint?
    Update this thread in 2053 with your observations and empirical testing.

I bought a fish tales around 2005ish and the cabinet was massively faded. That's 12 years. Tons of stern whitestar games with their printed cabinets are at that age or beyond. Not sure when stern switched to decals but it was around transformers.

#25 86 days ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

I bought a fish tales around 2005ish and the cabinet was massively faded. That's 12 years. Tons of stern whitestar games with their printed cabinets are at that age or beyond. Not sure when stern switched to decals but it was around transformers.

Transformers was indeed the first decaled game.

1 month later
    #26 41 days ago

I was wondering the same thing about cabinet fade on modern Sterns. My game will be a window and I know I could put up UV film, but I suck at it and end up with bubbles. Would be nice if I don't even have to worry about it. The spot doesn't get direct sunlight as the area in front of the window is shaded.

#27 41 days ago

Fade will happen and apron stickers will darken like a sunburn.

Window tint will save your headaches.

#28 40 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I know I could put up UV film, but I suck at it and end up with bubbles.

Wet method maybe? HEP Chris does all dry method cab decals, but even he used the wet method recently for mylar on a Rocky playfield. Plenty of working time to squeegee out the bubbles.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-cabinet-fade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.