(Topic ID: 28034)

New software on TRON at expo

By DougPiranha

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

There probably isn't any. That would have been really obvious immediately to anyone watching for a few minutes. We'd have heard more.

#52 11 years ago

If extra ball has been added in the new programming, no one at expo will be seeing it as the games are on tournament mode for tournaments.

It's one of the most demanded revisions, so I would be surprised to see it not added in the new software.

#53 11 years ago

Ohhh this sounds interesting! Got any video for us?
Did you notice the version of the code upon bootup?
Did they add any additional call outs?
Daft Punk mode?
Any embellishments/changes to recognizer/flynn modes?

Tell us more!

Quoted from LesManley:

The mystery award now shows icons of people like Gem and Quorra instead of spelling them out like "Advance Gem"

#54 11 years ago

Wow...this update sounds EPIC.

It's day 2 of Expo and there has been very little info about software changes posted to Pinside.
Either the software is not that noticeably different...or it's so great all those at EXPO are too busy playing it to post.

COME ON FOLKS AT EXPO! DETAILS!!!!!

Reboot that puppy so we can see the code revision and post a clip on YOUTUBE of the game in action!

#55 11 years ago

I snuck the door open when nobody was looking.

1.61 software.

#56 11 years ago

So what differences did you notice with 1.61?

Quoted from pmWolf:

I snuck the door open when nobody was looking.
1.61 software.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Video mode off the arcade scoop would be very applicable. Tron is the one pinball that has a freaking ARCADE GAME on the playfield. I'm good either way. Can't wait to see what they've done.

Quoted from Rarehero:

What if it's optional? It's Tron...Tron's theme is video games. If it's cool & optional - why not?

AGREED! Video Mode is a MUST on this game! Just make it an option to disable it

#58 11 years ago

Latest release is v1.7 for Pro

#59 11 years ago

Wait 1.61? Is this a joke? The last release of 11/2011 was 1.7 for the PRO.

#60 11 years ago

Seriously...1.61.

I didn't play any of it. The game was in the tournament, and nobody was near it. It was powered on, and had the glass off for a film crew that was getting ready to film some gameplay. They were occupied with another game, so I snuck the door open and checked the revision.

That's all I know.

Pete

#61 11 years ago

Wow how odd to drop back a software rev.? Well, I hope someone gets a chance to see it in action and can tell us the changes!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Seriously...1.61.
I didn't play any of it. The game was in the tournament, and nobody was near it. It was powered on, and had the glass off for a film crew that was getting ready to film some gameplay. They were occupied with another game, so I snuck the door open and checked the revision.
That's all I know.
Pete

Pete, you may have seen the system rev 1.61. That is the latest SAM revision and is in the center of the screen when you go to the service menu. The game rev will be in the top left corner. Sneek another peek.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Seriously...1.61.
That's all I know.
Pete

They just turned it on for qualifying. I watched it boot up. I's 1.71 so don't get too excited yet.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

They just turned it on for qualifying. It's 1.71 so don't get too excited yet.

Yeah. Probly just dots and instant info for now. I doubt they would let a knew unknown software rev in a tourney. They kept 1.52 ACDC in PAPA even though they were testing 1.55 there. I think if 1.71 had gameplay changes, they might not allow it. Just speculation on my part.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Pete, you may have seen the system rev 1.61. That is the latest SAM revision and is in the center of the screen when you go to the service menu. The game rev will be in the top left corner. Sneek another peek.

Very likely. I was trying to do it stealthily and quickly, so I'm sure I wasn't being as thorough...and probably screwed up.

Sorry!

Pete

#66 11 years ago

ok, so 1.71 is the new code. So far we have heard:

1) (holding)Left flipper button shows shots needed for each mode

2) The mystery award now shows icons of people like Gem and Quorra instead of
spelling them out like "Advance Gem"

3) The combo callouts are now graphical too

(updated 10/20/2012)

Lets add to this, come on sleuth detectives!

#67 11 years ago

We'll if there is one thing positive we can get out of this.

This should put the rumor mill to bed on the subject that "Will there be another software update for Tron?"

Obviously the answer now is yes...and it's currently in the works.

Looking forward to seeing what other surprises are going to unfold with Stern's next public release of Tron code.

#68 11 years ago

I'm hoping for Zuse to be represented by a timer bar just for consistency.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What if it's optional? It's Tron...Tron's theme is video games. If it's cool & optional - why not?

Exactly. I'm not normally a big fan of video modes on pins, but there are exceptions when it's done well (I like the VM's on AFM and MM for example), and Tron is a theme that calls for a video mode more than any theme out there. I'd like to see it myself, even if it isn't likely to happen.

#70 11 years ago

So no pinsiders played TRON at EXPO or looked at it today to see whats new? Aren't you curious? We are!!!

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've never seen an optional video mode, have you? And the sheer amount of work required to get these implemented. It's one thing tweaking some rules. But coding a video mode is a whole project in itself. It's a mini video game with its own rules and had no base frame work to begin with. Well you could add hundreds of other cool pinball game related features. We know Lyman's time isn't infinite. I'd rather he was focusing on acdc updates, or anything else. The many hours coding a video mode would take that away from us.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've never seen an optional video mode, have you?

CV Home Rom ...you can kill the Roonie video mode and some others.

Dunno if it's optional on other games...no video mode's ever bugged me enough to check the settings.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've never seen an optional video mode, have you?

Yes, STTNG holodeck. You choose between 25,000,000 points or the video mode. Or Riker's Poker.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

So no pinsiders played TRON at EXPO or looked at it today to see whats new? Aren't you curious? We are!!!

It's in the flip out tournament and has very limited access. Sorry I did my best

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Frankly, I wish they'd bring the bum-bum-bum sound back in the game some way, even if it's a 1/100 game

agreed. they just overplayed it in the original software. looking foward to a possible 3rd update?? ?

#76 11 years ago

What's the story with that sound? I've heard it in the sound test, but I never played any earlier versions.

#77 11 years ago

I think the flipper button status and the new graphics may be it. It is only a .1 rom revision increase at this time.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I think the flipper button status and the new graphics may be it. It is only a .1 rom revision increase at this time.

Nope, there's a bit more. Subtle stuff to round it out well. Also, as you eluded to, it may not be everything coming.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've never seen an optional video mode, have you? And the sheer amount of work required to get these implemented. It's one thing tweaking some rules. But coding a video mode is a whole project in itself. It's a mini video game with its own rules and had no base frame work to begin with. Well you could add hundreds of other cool pinball game related features. We know Lyman's time isn't infinite. I'd rather he was focusing on acdc updates, or anything else. The many hours coding a video mode would take that away from us.

It was said that there was a video mode already created for TRON in an early software revision but it was dropped as it hadn't been completed or at least not to Borgs satisfaction. Can't remember who said it but I clearly remember reading it from one of the regulars that are in the know, so hopefully if that was true and it is featured in the missing code revision that was skipped over being realised maybe it wouldn't take long at all especially for Lyman to finish/polish an existing video mode? I sure hope it is true I'd love a video mode in TRON as the theme requires it IMO.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

It was said that there was a video mode already created for TRON in an early software revision but it was dropped as it hadn't been completed or at least not to Borgs satisfaction. Can't remember who said it but I clearly remember reading it from one of the regulars that are in the know, so hopefully if that was true and it is featured in the missing code revision that was skipped over being realised maybe it wouldn't take long at all especially for Lyman to finish/polish an existing video mode? I sure hope it is true I'd love a video mode in TRON as the theme requires it IMO.

This is 100% true. To add to this, "if" we do get a video mode it will be unrelated to the original POS video mode that was there. That is dead and gone

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

Nope, there's a bit more. Subtle stuff to round it out well. Also, as you eluded to, it may not be everything coming.

What subtle stuff did you notice?

I could only watch someone play from a distance since it was in the tournament area and the only thing I could notice was the scoop random award animation previously mentioned.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

What subtle stuff did you notice?
I could only watch someone play from a distance since it was in the tournament area and the only thing I could notice was the scoop random award animation previously mentioned.

The combo callouts are now graphical too.

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Err, anything new for X-men?

New X-Men Pro code. It disables (or has a setting to disable the lock). I don't know the revision number, but all of the tourney games say "virtual locks" right on the machine. It's nice of them to take the time to make a revision that side steps an issue instead of fixing it properly. All in due time i suppose.

I also believe AC/DC was a new revision, but I'm not 100% on that.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

New X-Men Pro code. It disables (or has a setting to disable the lock). I don't know the revision number, but all of the tourney games say "virtual locks" right on the machine. It's nice of them to take the time to make a revision that side steps an issue instead of fixing it properly. All in due time i suppose.
I also believe AC/DC was a new revision, but I'm not 100% on that.

The non tournament games I played were physically locking balls and not having issues releasing just one....

#85 11 years ago

ok, so its the last day of EXPO. Can someone find out if there are more changes to the new TRON code than noted below and WHEN this version will be uploaded to Sterns site? Also, if the LE will get the same update.

Thanks so much for the sleuths at EXPO, there are hundreds of TRON owners so it would be worthwhile info!

1) (holding)Left flipper button shows shots needed for each mode

2) The mystery award now shows icons of people like Gem and Quorra instead of
spelling them out like "Advance Gem"

3) The combo callouts are now graphical too

#86 11 years ago

Did anyone ask if this will be available for download soon on Sterns site? What were the reactions of the players? I guess there wasn't more than has been already mentioned...

#87 11 years ago

Did anyone ask if this will be available for download soon on Sterns site? What were the reactions of the players? I guess there wasn't more than has been already mentioned...

I highly doubt they will release this as it is. They were testing for bugs and to see how folks like the new code, etc. I imagine they will add more polish before release.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Video mode off the arcade scoop would be very applicable. Tron is the one pinball that has a freaking ARCADE GAME on the playfield. I'm good either way. Can't wait to see what they've done.

Would be cool if it was a mystery reward.

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

The non tournament games I played were physically locking balls and not having issues releasing just one....

It was just the X-Men games in the tourney area that I saw being updated.I didn't play any of them, but was told the update changed the locking. I'm guessing this update was only intended for tourney use.

I did notice a lot of the typical X-Men problems on the free play games (to many balls being released much of the time, poorly adjusted scoop switch, poorly adjusted Storm switch).

#90 11 years ago

So after several days of new code running on TRON at EXPO, what is the basic consensus? Did you like the changes made, or were they just eh? I guess only a few on pinside tried the TRON at EXPO?

#91 11 years ago

So after several days of new code running on TRON at EXPO, what is the basic consensus? Did you like the changes made, or were they just eh? I guess only a few on pinside tried the TRON at EXPO?

It is just very minor stuff right now. I talked to Lyman and got to visit his place after Expo. He has a great setup as you could imagine. Basically, he said it is the graphical stuff, instant status and there is also a few DMD priority changes and minor scoring changes. There is more to come, but I don't know when. He is really busy and has a bunch of games that he is working on fixing at home for his personal collection.

#92 11 years ago

Well, whenever it comes, at least we know for sure he is working on it. Until now it was just a pipe dream since Tron is/was considered finished.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

There is more to come, but I don't know when. He is really busy and has a bunch of games that he is working on fixing at home for his personal collection.

This is great news for Tron owners.
What other pinball machines did he have?

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is just very minor stuff right now. I talked to Lyman and got to visit his place after Expo. He has a great setup as you could imagine. Basically, he said it is the graphical stuff, instant status and there is also a few DMD priority changes and minor scoring changes. There is more to come, but I don't know when. He is really busy and has a bunch of games that he is working on fixing at home for his personal collection.

Great info, Les. I wanna play pins at Lyman's house. Color me jealous.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

This is great news for Tron owners.What other pinball machines did he have?

He had a ton of pins and a few vids too. He had a 720 arcade game which was fun to play again for the first time in quite a while..."Skate or Die!" He had a nice mix of games that he worked on and games he didn't work on. Had some very nice literally first off the line WMS games from back in the day too. He's a super nice, laid back guy. I had talked to him before at Pinnesota and stuff. My favorite line from him from this past weekend though had to be when he was playing AC/DC in qualifying. He drained and slammed the game, then said, "Stupid Steve Richie piece of shit." He was joking, but given the context, I couldn't help but to get a nice laugh out of that.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

when he was playing AC/DC in qualifying. He drained and slammed the game

Hah! That's priceless.

#97 11 years ago

If you live in Michigan, the Tron at Marvin's is running this new version of the software, V1.71.

Doug D.

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

DMD Priority Changes.
Would this mean, hopefully that when you start Light Cycle Multiball that everytime you get to see the kick ass DMD animation of Sam jumping on the building up Lightcycle? "Here we go....."

I think that is one of the coolest DMD animations on TRON and it's a great build up to starting Lightcycle multiball...the problem is you rarely get to see it as other DMD animations at the scoop hole take priority and that one typically gets bumped. It's only possible to see this DMD animation if you have the scoop hole lit for Lightcycle and nothing else when you fall in the hole.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

DMD Priority Changes.
Would this mean, hopefully that when you start Light Cycle Multiball that everytime you get to see the kick ass DMD animation of Sam jumping on the building up Lightcycle? "Here we go....."

I think that is one of the coolest DMD animations on TRON and it's a great build up to starting Lightcycle multiball...the problem is you rarely get to see it as other DMD animations at the scoop hole take priority and that one typically gets bumped. It's only possible to see this DMD animation if you have the scoop hole lit for Lightcycle and nothing else when you fall in the hole.

Agreed.

Also, hopefully when you hit the GEM switch, the feedback for that takes priority. Since it is the hardest shot in the game, it needs to always give positive feedback when it is hit! There are times now when you hit it that you get no feedback, no sound, no video, nothing!

#100 11 years ago

Cool, so who lives in michigan that can take a quick video for us
I know I would love to see the changes....

Quoted from nsduprr:

If you live in Michigan, the Tron at Marvin's is running this new version of the software, V1.71.
Doug D.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-software-on-tron-at-expo/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.