• Latest reply 85 days ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220421_192826 (resized).jpg
5F8645EA-FC62-49A8-A6D5-97BB947BA52A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Anyone have recommendations on who to use for ROM burning?

I've been happy with https://mattsbasementarcade.com/

But TBH, I resisted buying a programmer for the longest time.. but finally caved... given that a decent one now runs in the $100 range, I think it saves a lot of back and forth to just have it.. and opens the door to troubleshooting if you suspect a rom issue and so forth.. just nice to finally have one.

#18 2 years ago

This is amazing! Can't believe I missed out for 86 days already.. serves me right for not following slochar more closely. .

awesome work, thanks for sharing!

4 weeks later
#25 2 years ago

Was wondering about the feasibility / what the forum thinks about a sequential drop bonus award? Have not given it too much thought.. but some random ideas.. as this one has a really great ruleset, it's a stretch to think of what actually adds value.

Skill shot could be just the short plunge, so the first switch being the right most drop from the upper right flipper?
and/or perhaps there is a timed plunge on the top loop rollover, animating blue inserts?

Enjoying the rom for sure.. nice to have free play, and balance the loop a bit.. of course, it will always be a drop game, but it is fun to watch the spinner count as a little alternate game.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You mean a sweep award? Or just getting them down 4-3-2-1? Very Alien-Pokery. That type of stuff almost has to be something like a 'hidden' award (could probably make the drop bank lamp flash while it's valid, though)
A better skill shot might be short plunge, spinner spins a couple times (so you know it was the first switch activated) and then you do something (either the center bank sweep or the loop) for extra points? Extra bonus? Maybe you get 10k-20k-40k-80k for each drop (right to left) that you get down with the one shot?
The switch handling doesn't really work very well for a sequential/simultaneous downed shot though. In theory it should, but there's a lot of backend manipulation even to get the sweeping working correctly (which it usually does, but sometimes doesn't, just due to back end timing and what else the machine is doing at the time)

Interesting. Yeah, I recall on my Vector times when I hit the defenders in what seemed like sequence, but two go down near the same time, sometimes it counts, sometimes not. Not the end of the world.

That would be a cool skill shot for sure. Guess that spinner switch would need to be adjusted tight.

---------

An alternate idea on the drops, could be an bank completion award rotation on a one second timer. Not sure if this has any merit or not. Just trying to think of ways to award the player for more intentional drop shots.

#28 2 years ago

I found that if you drain while or close to the spinner switch activating, sometimes you can get a unexpected hiss noise. Game functions fine otherwise.. Just thought I'd mention it, if it is repeatable for anyone else?

I was able to recreate it with a short plunge that drains right away. This is with v08 of the custom rom.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gJoU4HSVPnB1gk4z6

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I haven't noticed this unexpected hiss with v08.

Hmm could be my machine. Just odd that it is after the spinner.. It doesn't happen much in regular gameplay.. Basically need to drain while the spinner is going which is fairly rare.

1 month later
#32 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You mean the background sound loop? The only difference would be that the game is waiting for spinner to timeout, so the background sound routine can activate during it. I didn't hear anything other than game sounds in your video.
It's kind of a shame that seawitch doesn't have a lot of times when you can hear the background sound wave effect, usually it's being interrupted too often by scoring.

Sorry.. didn't see this reply- It happens on the second ball drain in the video.

You can hear the sound lock up for a second, until as you say, the spinner timeout happens. sometimes, (rarely), it happens on a sound where it is more jarring and it really needs a quick drain from the last spin for it to be noticable.. but whatever, I've been running the rom for a while.. it's not a big deal.. just something I noticed..

Curious if anyone had an opinion on being able to keep a maxed bonus multiplier ball to ball?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What would the objective on new balls if you already had max bonus multiplier?
I'd love the opposite, always reset bonus multiplier back to 1X on next ball. As it is now I find the game too easy.

Still would need to work the bonus back up... I'm always leery of rules where it seems like a certain progression has the potential to harm... So yeah maybe like you say a config to reset each ball.. Or decrease 2x each ball regardless?

I'd be curious to see an easy playing seawitch.. I feel like mine is really mean. Need to have some top local players over to give me some perspective maybe...one should be over soon.

#35 2 years ago

My wife's top spinner score.. It's the GC she plays for... So thanks for that.. It's great... Funny how some can just have certain shots dialed in.. I always have trouble with the spinners in seawitch. Quite tight and when you brick it you're lost.

20220421_192826 (resized).jpg20220421_192826 (resized).jpg
#39 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

81 spins is really impressive. I still can't get more than 20 on mine.... needs some attention there I think.
Getting to the 'end' of the game and doing victory laps with the 39k bonus collects is what I go for.
Carrying over 6x/7x would be dead easy to implement, although finding a free dip (I don't remember what's left if any) to make it tunable might be the hard part there.
I suppose a drop sweep could be an addition, with the award being the leave the one target up bonus payout if you swept them. I've never swept the top bank and the other banks are challenging in this game to do so. It's no meteor in that aspect for sure.
I don't know how else you could add depth to the game though. It's shallow in a good way I think, but open to ideas.
Can you repost the sound error though I thought I'd listened to it but maybe I didn't get the right one if it was ball 2 instead of ball 1. Any extraneous sound probably is caused by the background sound routine stopping when the ball hits the outhole, but the spinner still waiting to timeout and could probably be tweaked.

Wondering what the potential might be for a viking kind of deal on the spinner? i.e., Opportunity to use the spinners to advance bonus maybe 1 advance every 10 spins. After 10 spins, 2x riptide until the timer is up, and so on.

I find the spinner quite fun to shoot.. for sure, the sound effect for it is incredible... the biggest issue is it is just not worth much? but perhaps if it is an opportunity to advance bonus.. then maybe it becomes a real objective once the multiplier is brought up.

8 months later
#45 1 year ago

Looking forward to this!

Kind of think the top star rollover is the natural skill shot if it had a reward, since it is hard to plunge.. but the first bank strafe is its own reward just by immediately beginning the progression.

Kind of wondering about spinners advancing bonus as a possible strat?

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Well, there could for sure be 2 skill shots. The top star rollover would have to be made, a timer started, and it drops into the pops and the pop triggers the skill shot. That's a little 'tough'. I'd probably make that reward light all 4 standups for the spinner maybe?
The center bank skill shot would be 10k for one, 30k for two, 50k for three, and 100k for all 4. You rarely get all 4 for sure I get 3 with some regularity.

That sounds pretty good. Interesting, I was thinking of the skill shot within the skill shot, but the idea of it based on the number of drops hit on that initial strafe is pretty great!

Quoted from slochar:

No, that one I'm not going to do. Bonus advance isn't hard to come by on SW.... hit the drops!! Or hit the star rollover in the return lane. That reminds me.... Probably will prevent that star rollover from being the first 'score'. There are some tournament players that short plunge over and over building the bonus by hitting it before launching the ball. Not so much that that's a bad strategy, it's just that the ones that do it do it UNTIL they have the bonus maxed. So they short plunge for like 5-10 minutes and bring that game to a halt.
If you put the spinner as a bonus advance, it will reduce the game to a 'shoot the spinner' at the expense of everything else game. There's already too many of those types of games.

Agreed. Looking at the numbers, I guess the spinner becomes enough reward when lit up as a viable alternate shot.

Never seen anyone collect that star on launch on the machine.. but ours shoots really straight.... then again, looking at it, I see that ours is probably not set as sensitive as it needs to be, as sometimes making that shot and missing the star can be very frustrating also.

3 months later
#50 1 year ago

Was thinking about the rules about while playing, and was wondering what people thought about adjusted flipper scoring for special?

The current game rules allow for 100k special, which is decent, however, this would presumably include outlanes which is kind of lame.

I was wondering if the code might allow for isolating a 100k special payout for the under the slipper special shot? already lights up and everything. Typically I can't think of this shot being useful.. but this might be kind of cool?

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

added to:
http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/
seawitch09
eliminated the hstd award 0/1/2/3, it's now dip 16 awards 0 or 3.
dip 15 runway special awards 100k regardless of special award..... which will stay on since specials do not turn off on seawitch. It's not like it's an easy shot though right?

Oh wow, thanks, this is amazing.

I'll try to get the rom in soon, and set up a stream in the next few days... getting over a cough still.. sigh.

I'm pretty excited about this, Normally, there is really no incentive with the Special, but this is a great extra goal to hit in the game now, and 100k makes it worth going for.

Thank you!

2 weeks later
#55 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's fast and easy when I can find the source code and it assembles correctly.... I haven't tested it anything other than pinmame.

Thank you. Finally got around to getting it on the machine. Having some Win11 driver issues with my GQ-4x4 Really odd.. it was a tank, but recently sometimes it doesn't detect the device with the software... need to disconnect internet, and then mess with the drivers and it works again for a while.. sigh.

Anyway, seems to work in the machine. I adjusted my regular special collect replay (didn't realize I had 100k set, which is lame for an outlane special..).

There is another dip setting which can allow the special to cycle between the runway special, and the two outlanes.. that is kind of neat.. but I agree, esp on mine, even with practice, I'd be lucky to hit it 1 in 10, so a couple of collects on it after you have 7x bonus is a really cool addition to the code IMHO. It is great that this only collects on the runway, so if someone had a machine where the runway were perhaps too easy, they could use this other setting to cycle the award if they chose.

I intend to set up a livestream of gameplay for Saturday @ 10:30AM PST

https://www.twitch.tv/pinbruh/schedule

After this, I'll move the video to youtube for posterity.

Thanks again, I quite like this adjustment, as it provides a great rule for after the bonus is maxed out.

#59 12 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

paged through the stream - did you collect it ever in it? Saw it lit a couple times but I was skipping around a lot. Looks like I need to add the >100 high spin to it at some point since your high spins are 99.

Oh cool.. lol. How does the >100 spin work? Too bad not alpha displays to go hex. lol, or can it scroll?

Here is a clip on YouTube of it being collected.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxEqqCvk-dAv63t5v9hXyGAwLzXzguJn1x

Hopefully HD will be rendered soon.

Here is the full video:

Thanks!

#61 12 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

It will just turn over in the ball in play but the high spin counter shows on p4 specifically to show over 100 correctly.

Oh yeah, that's awesome! forgot it shows in the P4 display... I had some crazy rips on stream tho.. pretty sure a nice 60 count on one shot.. if I were going for it, I might have been able to rip it again to exceed that crazy 99. lol

#64 12 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

added v9.1 to http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/
the high spins > 100 will now count up to 199. If you get over 200, LMK! Would have to change how it's done if so.
Make sure you clear audits 15-19 and reset 19 as your max credits.

Cool! thank you. I'll try to get it in for next week, and shoot for spinners! should be fun

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-software-for-stern-seawitch?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.