(Topic ID: 213873)

New SmartRGB LED Flasher Mod

By Compy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 8.42.02 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 9.20.16 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0279 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0276 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hey hey all!

So the last few months I've been working on a mod that allows you to design custom RGB light shows with a few clicks and drop custom RGB flashers into any WPC game. All in all, progress has gone quite well and I've been able to get far enough where I have something to show.

There are several pre-programmed effects that you can customize to fit your game, and I have several more features planned that will really extend the options for customizing these lamps. Now you have trigger flasher shows based on either a flasher or number of flashers or even motors and other devices firing in your game.

The board design is based on the original circuit for the Pinduino designed by Eric Lyons (used with permission). If you know how to code and want to do some really really cool stuff, use his board! He's a great guy and makes a great product.

How does it work?
    Each kit includes two flashers (you can use up to 6 per board, purchased separately), the logic board itself and a copy of the SmartRGB programmer software. All you need to do is connect the board to your Windows or Mac computer using a USB cable, select your game, and you're presented with an easy configuration screen where you can select which effects you want to run on which flashers depending on what devices are triggered in your game. Save the program to the board, plug it back into your game using the supplied wire harness, and you've got a completely custom RGB LED flasher setup!

This mod runs off of the 12V line on WPC games and includes an on-board regulator so that it doesn't strain your 5V line!

The software already contains all of the input triggers for each WPC game and I'm currently working on adding support for Stern Whitestar, SAM and SPIKE games as well as Multimorphic P3-ROC platform games (TNA, Houdini, Alice Cooper, Big Lebowski)

I've attached some pictures of the kit, the software and the board itself! There's also an explainer video as well with some demo shots on a test AFM!

Kit contents:
    2 SmartRGB Flashers
    WPC Wire harness
    Logic Board
    SmartRGB Flasher KitSmartRGB Flasher Kit

Logic Board
    SmartRGB Logic BoardSmartRGB Logic Board

Video explainer, tour and demo:

In action:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 9.20.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-03 at 9.20.16 PM (resized).png

Software configuration:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 8.42.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-03 at 8.42.02 PM (resized).png

DISCLAIMER:
    I'm not responsible if you create rainbow puke flasher effects. I've merely pre-programmed an effect that makes that a bit easier.

Let me know if you have any questions! The mod should be available to anyone who is interested over the next few weeks as I finalize board and software touches!

#2 6 years ago

Very nice job, and a lot of work went into this I am sure. Just don't post anything in the rainbow puke club thread or the mod removers club thread and you will be fine, there will be those who can utilize this mod creatively without making a color abomination to the games.

#3 6 years ago

Wow - this is brilliant. Will you also do a kit with 6 flashers or have options to buy 4 extra?

Is there any reason why this couldnt be extended to under playfield flashers?

Phil

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Very nice job, and a lot of work went into this I am sure. Just don't post anything in the rainbow puke club thread or the mod removers club thread and you will be fine, there will be those who can utilize this mod creatively without making a color abomination to the games.

I certainly hope so. It's a fun challenge designing the software editor so that you can make effects that look good with the game while not being left to completely guess at things that might fit with the color scheme, or be visually appealing.

Quoted from PickHolder:

Wow - this is brilliant. Will you also do a kit with 6 flashers or have options to buy 4 extra?
    Is there any reason why this couldnt be extended to under playfield flashers?
    Phil

Sure, each kit comes with the board and all components needed, and there are various sizes available so you can buy up to 6 with the initial purchase. No worries there.

Another question I've received was whether or not this would work in the UK, and there shouldn't be any power concerns as we're patching directly into the WPC boardset (the 12V line) well after any DC power rectification has taken place.

#5 6 years ago

Do you have any UK or European distributors Compy ? or do you ship direct ?

#6 6 years ago

Really cool. Nice work I'll definitely check one out.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PickHolder:

Do you have any UK or European distributors compy ? or do you ship direct ?

I do not have any distributors over there at this point. I'm working out a deal with Titan Pinball to carry the product, but I'll ship directly anywhere more than likely. Once it's done, if you want one, you'll be able to get one

Working on some enhancements to the software, and will be casting some molds for the flasher assemblies here this weekend!

#8 6 years ago

That is fucking awesome....I think I made need these for The shadow as I don't care for the orange flashers on that on that game anyway, and I could see some cool stuff being done between vengeance mode, and the multiballs, with the ramp flashers.

#10 6 years ago

This looks incredible! Too bad I only own Data East and a P2K.

#12 6 years ago

Love this!! Well done Compy and Eric!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-smartrgb-led-flasher-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.