Saratoga Pinball Show - 8/12/17 - Saratoga Springs, NY - Next Show Announced!

By ForceFlow

10 months ago

Stats

• 328 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 78 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170813_155539 (resized).jpg
    20170812135039778 (resized).jpg
    20170812152829154 (resized).jpg
    20170812152844158 (resized).jpg
    20170812134848434 (resized).jpg
    20170812134812127 (resized).jpg
    20170812134804840 (resized).jpg
    20170812134808060 (resized).jpg
    20170812123930832 (resized).jpg
    20170812105837536 (resized).jpg
    20170813130720430 (resized).jpg
    20170812_201013 (resized).jpg
    20170812153941154 (resized).jpg
    20170812134851937 (resized).jpg
    20170812134922925 (resized).jpg
    20170812134927909 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 328 posts in topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 8 months ago

Many thanks to Adam and all of the volunteers for a real nice show. The venue was clean ...a real nice place, and the people couldn't have been more accommodating. Looking forward to next year. Don't move the weekend! I have other things scheduled the first and third weekends in August next year!

Haven't done the math, but off the top of my head, looks like my Aquarius and Domino were both played about 200 times.

Thanks to the local pinball community for bringing games and helping Adam make a go of it. Without games to play, there is no show.

Dave

#302 8 months ago

Junkman on RGP posted a comprehensive video slideshow of the games and vendors that were at the show:

» YouTube video

#304 8 months ago

286 plays on Flash

Ron...

#305 8 months ago

Things are in the works for a 2018 show. I will be looking into expanding to a 2-day show, on-site food options, hotel options, electricity for the flea market, and encouraging more pinball & arcade games.

Here is a brief survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VS9K8PV

If you have any additional comments, feedback, or suggestions, feel free to post here or message me.

Thanks!

#307 8 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you have any additional comments, feedback, or suggestions, feel free to post here or message me.

Don't have it the week before the most dramatic eclipse I'll see in my lifetime and everything will be better

#308 8 months ago

Since I didn't mention it in my earlier post, the survey includes a question about alternate dates for the show.

Possible Friday-Saturday dates:
    -June 1 & 2 (Fri & Sat, first weekend in June)
    -August 10 & 11 (Fri & Sat, second weekend in August)
    -August 31 & September 1 (Fri & Sat, first weekend in September, Labor Day weekend)
    -September 7 & 8 (Fri & Sat, second weekend in September)

#309 8 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

the survey includes a question about alternate dates for the show

Bear in mind that Pintastic New England will be June 28-30, 2018. I expect that the two shows will cross-promote, no matter which is first.
    .................David Marston

#310 8 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Possible Friday-Saturday dates:
    -June 1 & 2 (Fri & Sat, first weekend in June)
    -August 10 & 11 (Fri & Sat, second weekend in August)
    -August 31 & September 1 (Fri & Sat, first weekend in September, Labor Day weekend)
    -September 7 & 8 (Fri & Sat, second weekend in September)

My thoughts- June 1-2= people coming back from Memorial Day vacation.
    August 10-11= great weekend ,six week spread from Pintastic. Not intrusive to other show.
    August 31-Sept 1= Labor day weekend,mess with traffic,yuck.
    Sept. 7-8= kids settling into beginning of school and parents still shopping last minute stuff for school,too busy?
    -Mike

#311 8 months ago

I would have liked to go. It's a no brainer for me, since my wife went to Saratoga's own Skidmore College. But I had another commitment this time around .... which I almost broke to go at the last minute. I plan to go next year. Maybe I'll even take the plunge and bring a game! I've always wanted to do that.

By the pictures it seems like a nice size. Not too crazy, more mellow. We're there lines for games? Please get an authentic Mexican or shawarma (or Halal) food cart for the show. Best street meat ever!

I can see how hotel rates might get jacked during the racing season, but maybe try all the surrounding communities for lower rates? Even Albany, which is only a twenty five minute drive or so, or Glens Falls to the north...and families could even check out the water park and amusement park there.

Guys. For the wives, bring them along and send them to the mineral baths down the road at SPAC. The baths are amazing, but they can get a massage too, and maybe even a mani-pedi. And you, and maybe her too, can golf. It's a great course, right there.

And it's only another hour up to Lake George! Heaven on earth!

LOTS to do up there.

Congrats on the show! That took a lot of work.

#312 8 months ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

My thoughts- June 1-2= people coming back from Memorial Day vacation.
    August 10-11= great weekend ,six week spread from Pintastic. Not intrusive to other show.
    August 31-Sept 1= Labor day weekend,mess with traffic,yuck.
    Sept. 7-8= kids settling into beginning of school and parents still shopping last minute stuff for school,too busy?
    -Mike

Pretty much my thinking too, but I thought I'd at least give folks the option in case there was a better date outside the racing season.

So far, Aug 10-11 is far in the lead in the survey.

#313 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

We're there lines for games?

There was a pretty good line for Dialed-In all day long. There were much shorter, but consistent, lines for BM66 and Star Wars. For the rest of the games, they were almost always in play, but there were not long lines.

Please get an authentic Mexican or shawarma (or Halal) food cart for the show. Best street meat ever!.

While I agree, that's a tall order for Saratoga.

And it's only another hour up to Lake George! Heaven on earth!

It's actually less than half an hour. Spend the morning on the water, and the afternoon playing pinball! For whatever reason, they have struggled as a resort town the last few years-- we were up there a couple of weekend ago, and almost all of the motels had vacancies.

#314 8 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

It's actually less than half an hour. Spend the morning on the water, and the afternoon playing pinball! For whatever reason, they have struggled as a resort town the last few years-- we were up there a couple of weekend ago, and almost all of the motels had vacancies.

I used to like Lake George until it became just one tacky tee-shirt shop after another. The lake itself is as beautiful as ever, but the village has become a tacky tourist trap ripoff. The last time I went on the Minne-Ha-Ha, they made it mandatory that a photograph be taken of every passenger. When I asked why, they gave me some BS reason. It was only so that they could try to sell you the photo when you got off the boat. Really annoying! Restaurants are staffed by half-witted teen morons who couldn't give a crap about good service, but of course expect a big tip. Enjoy the lake, but avoid the village!

#315 8 months ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Don't have it the week before the most dramatic eclipse I'll see in my lifetime and everything will be better

You need ten days to prepare for a solar eclipse? Are you a vampire?

#316 8 months ago

Adam - it sounds like show turned out OK for you? Just curious if you have any idea how many people actually attended - not including "free admission" do to bringing a machine or volunteers. If you prefer not to publish this publicly I fully understand but I was just curious. I was also wondering how many machines were for sale and how those guys made out selling machines?

Drop me a PM when you get a chance and tell me a little more about what you learned doing the show. I love the idea of "smaller local shows" and would like to encourage other Pinsiders to try one in their area. We really can't do one here in Carlisle since we are only about 50 miles from York and 100 miles from Allentown but I would love to see more smaller local shows pop up here & their - I think it is good for the hobby!

As soon as you finalize dates for next years show be sure to let me know so I can plan accordingly!

#317 8 months ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Adam - it sounds like show turned out OK for you?

Yep, it was a good turnout. Better than what I was expecting.

Hopefully, I'll be able to announce the 2018 show date soon.

#318 8 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yep, it was a good turnout. Better than what I was expecting.
    Hopefully, I'll be able to announce the 2018 show date soon.

Well Done!

A pinball show planned & put together in less than 3 months that exceeded your expectations. I wish you had more support as far as people bringing machines but with short notice I am glad it all worked out OK in the end for you. I am sure next year the hall will be full. Now we need other Pinsiders to step up and consider doing something similar in their area to get more new blood into the hobby.

Thanks for all of your hard work making this happen!

#319 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The only game that I saw that was sold was a project Williams "Blue Chip" from the flea market area. I had "for sale" on my "Sky Line", but didn't really want to sell it. I didn't post a price, and didn't get any offers or phone calls. Of course, everything is for sale at the right price!

@jrpinball That was me that bought the Blue Chip. Working on fixing it up as we speak.

@zacaj I really enjoyed playing with the Fleet pin. I wanted to ask if it was for sale or not, and for how much, but wasn't sure who the owner was. Really interesting pin.

I was happy that I got to try the new Star Wars pin (although it was a criminally short game), and was hoping to get a chance to play Dialed In, but the games were so long on that one that I got tired of waiting, and decided that there were plenty of other games to play that I'd be ignoring if I spent all my time waiting for that one to open up. Highly agree to set the game length and ball count lower next time. Otherwise, no real complaints (other than food availability), and I'll definitely try to make it back next year.

#320 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I used to like Lake George until it became just one tacky tee-shirt shop after another. The lake itself is as beautiful as ever, but the village has become a tacky tourist trap ripoff. The last time I went on the Minne-Ha-Ha, they made it mandatory that a photograph be taken of every passenger. When I asked why, they gave me some BS reason. It was only so that they could try to sell you the photo when you got off the boat. Really annoying! Restaurants are staffed by half-witted teen morons who couldn't give a crap about good service, but of course expect a big tip. Enjoy the lake, but avoid the village!

There are some cool things to do in the Village of Lake George...even some pins!...but your right, it's pretty touristy. The lake is the real star. I stay at the top of the lake. Between Hague and Ti, and it's pretty dead for anything but lake activities. But that's the point, and it's very relaxing. Bolton Landing, in between Hague and The Vil, is the place to go when you want something a little touristy, but not cheapo disgusting. Restaurants are better there too. But no pins that I've found.

#321 8 months ago
    Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

I wanted to ask if it was for sale or not, and for how much, but wasn't sure who the owner was

Never for sale, besides from being really cool it's my only 30s pin, and I make a point to keep at least one from each decade

#322 8 months ago

Great job Adam!

Looks like it was well organized, and I love the mix of pin and arcade games there!

Well done for your first show! I can see this growing into something BIG!

Chris

#323 8 months ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Adam - it sounds like show turned out OK for you? Just curious if you have any idea how many people actually attended - not including "free admission" do to bringing a machine or volunteers. If you prefer not to publish this publicly I fully understand but I was just curious. I was also wondering how many machines were for sale and how those guys made out selling machines?
    Drop me a PM when you get a chance and tell me a little more about what you learned doing the show. I love the idea of "smaller local shows" and would like to encourage other Pinsiders to try one in their area. We really can't do one here in Carlisle since we are only about 50 miles from York and 100 miles from Allentown but I would love to see more smaller local shows pop up here & their - I think it is good for the hobby!
    As soon as you finalize dates for next years show be sure to let me know so I can plan accordingly!

Wasn't there one in Carlisle in 2006 or 2005? I recall there was a coinop show there but forget who ran it.
    I'd LOVE to see one here in north jersey, even though I'm only 90 minutes from Allentown. Chris was pondering one but I guess it didn't work out. There was one in Hackensack back in the 90s and Kevin's show in Wayne in 2005. All in all we definitely need local shows in addition to the major ones.

#324 8 months ago

There are some cool things to do in the Village of Lake George...even some pins!...but your right, it's pretty touristy. The lake is the real star. I stay at the top of the lake. Between Hague and Ti, and it's pretty dead for anything but lake activities. But that's the point, and it's very relaxing. Bolton Landing, in between Hague and The Vil, is the place to go when you want something a little touristy, but not cheapo disgusting. Restaurants are better there too. But no pins that I've found.

Years ago, there were many arcades bulging with EM pins (add-a-balls, of course) in Lake George Village. I have several photos of location games somewhere. If I find them, I'll scan and post some. I even remember once seeing a "Pop A Card" in the entrance foyer of a motel we were considering staying in when my late brother trailered his boat up to the lake around 1990. There was even once a "Card Trix" with a for sale sign on it at a small gameroom at a miniature golf place near the foot of the lake.
    I believe most, if not just about all of the pins were operated by the late Guido Delsignore of Fort Edward, NY.

#325 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Years ago, there were many arcades bulging with EM pins (add-a-balls, of course) in Lake George Village. I have several photos of location games somewhere. If I find them, I'll scan and post some. I even remember once seeing a "Pop A Card" in the entrance foyer of a motel we were considering staying in when my late brother trailered his boat up to the lake around 1990. There was even once a "Card Trix" with a for sale sign on it at a small gameroom at a miniature golf place near the foot of the lake.
    I believe most, if not just about all of the pins were operated by the late Guido Delsignore of Fort Edward, NY.

I remember some very old penny arcade soccer game out in front of one of the shops. It was taken out in the late 70s or early 80s after some drunk broke the front glass.

I'd love to see your old photos, I have a bunch from our vacations to the lake, but none that show the arcades.

#326 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'd be interested to see those photos too

#327 8 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd be interested to see those photos too

I have a lot going on lately, but I'll see if I can locate them.

#328 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I have a lot going on lately, but I'll see if I can locate them.

No worries, take your time.

#329 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

but I'll see if I can locate them.

I'm on Hold. Really like checking out Vintage..

1 month later
    #330 6 months ago

I am pleased to announce that the venue has been locked in for the 2018 Saratoga Pinball & Arcade Show!

It will be a two-day show on the second weekend of August: Friday & Saturday, August 10 & 11. It will take place again at the same location at the Saratoga Regional YMCA in Saratoga Springs, NY.

Additional details and a show schedule will follow in the next few weeks.

Thanks to everyone who came to and supported the 2017 show, and to everyone who responded to the survey. There were about 40 responses, which were very helpful. Hope to see everyone at the 2018 show

Please see the the new event thread for info about the 2018 show:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-saratoga-pinball-arcade-show-aug-10-11-saratoga-springs-ny

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 989.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.95
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.99
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    $ 989.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 328 posts in topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 193 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside