(Topic ID: 190940)

Saratoga Pinball Show - 8/12/17 - Saratoga Springs, NY - Next Show Announced!

By ForceFlow

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 330 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 78 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170813_155539 (resized).jpg
    20170812135039778 (resized).jpg
    20170812152829154 (resized).jpg
    20170812152844158 (resized).jpg
    20170812134848434 (resized).jpg
    20170812134812127 (resized).jpg
    20170812134804840 (resized).jpg
    20170812134808060 (resized).jpg
    20170812123930832 (resized).jpg
    20170812105837536 (resized).jpg
    20170813130720430 (resized).jpg
    20170812_201013 (resized).jpg
    20170812153941154 (resized).jpg
    20170812134851937 (resized).jpg
    20170812134922925 (resized).jpg
    20170812134927909 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 2 years ago

20170812153941154 (resized).jpg

#252 2 years ago

Great to see the interest. Wish I could have made it this year. I'll plan the family vacation around it next year.

#253 2 years ago

I reset the audits on Mustang before the show started this morning. Anyone want to take a guess on how many plays it will get today?

#254 2 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I reset the audits on Mustang before the show started this morning. Anyone want to take a guess on how many plays it will get today?

thanks
    blake

#255 2 years ago

257, too many pins to try!

#256 2 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Wish I'd checked my T2 beforehand, that thing is getting hammered

#259 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Wish I'd checked my T2 beforehand, that thing is getting hammered

and might i add is playing very smooth!!! thanks for contributing!!!
    blake

#260 2 years ago

How is attendance looking from the general public? Hopefully you are pulling in non-collectors and non-pinsiders to help grow the hobby even more.

#261 2 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

How is attendance looking from the general public? Hopefully you are pulling in non-collectors and non-pinsiders to help grow the hobby even more.

from my own interaction it seemed a good amount of folks were trying pinball for the first time or at least there first expo but im sure adam and some other folks can give greater specifics. i was pleased with what i saw and can only see things growing.
    thanks
    blake

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

and might i add is playing very smooth!!! thanks for contributing!!!
    blake

Glad you're enjoying it.

If you think that's smooth you should see it when it's got a circuit to itself! Very susceptible to low voltage for some reason (more than other games i own)

Edit: Mustang GC achieved

#263 2 years ago

It seemed to be good turnout from what I saw, definitely potential to keep it going.

#264 2 years ago
    Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

It seemed to be good turnout from what I saw, definitely potential to keep it going

Would be great to see this turn into an annual event and expand to two days. Is it still going on now? Any late night pictures from the event?

#265 2 years ago

Awesome to hear its going well!

#266 2 years ago

247 plays on my SW Pro
    155 plays on my Sopranos
    RBION I'll be able to check later in the week
    Bone Busters I was too lazy to figure out gottlieb audits

I think the difference in plays between SW & Sopranos is a result of ball times

#267 2 years ago

Well, the room is pretty much empty now.

Thanks to everyone who brought games, set up on the flea market, volunteered, and visited the show. This show would have not been successful without everyone who pitched in

If anyone has feedback about the show, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

#268 2 years ago

244 plays on my Fleet. It had no free play option so I just left a pile of pennies on it. Kept having to go over and move all of them back from the coin box to the top... Wondered if someone might steal them, but ended up with 8 cents more than started with!

Show seemed to go pretty well. Usual stuff with people playing four player games, etc but no real problems. Someone melted a flipper coil on my Spectrum; wish I knew how they managed it, but luckily one of the vendors had the right one.

Only real problem was some power issues... T2 definitely wasn't playing nearly as fast as it usually does. Nothing that can really be done about that though

#269 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, the room is pretty much empty now.
    Thanks to everyone who brought games, set up on the flea market, volunteered, and visited the show. This show would have not been successful without everyone who pitched in
    If anyone has feedback about the show, I'd like to hear it.
    Thanks

I thought the show was fantastic. Everything was clean, organized and presented well. The machines were all in very good shape and it looked like all the visitors were having a great time. Staff was very friendly. I liked the layout of the space. The only thing I can think of is it would have been nice if the arcade vendors were able to have power. Do another show next year!

#270 2 years ago

Great show especially for a first time effort- kudos Adam!

My Hearts-Spades got 211 plays with no problems. I was a little surprised it didnt sell... oh well... it didnt seem like many of the games for sale were moving.

Lots of great games to play- a great variety spanning more than 80 years. @zacaj- I absolutely loved your Fleet. I played a dozen or more games on it... and a couple of those extra pennies were from me.

Low voltage was definately an issue... a number of the EMs seemed sluggish.

Great selection in the vendor area. You did particularly well with that. I hope they all sold enough stuff to come back next time!

#271 2 years ago

Mustang got 147 plays today. Definitely limited by ball times, because it was played non-stop from what I saw.

Congrats to dannunz for having the closest guess.

Mustang performed perfectly all day. From what I can tell, the only thing it needs is a couple flipper rubbers and maybe a Hall and Oates-ectomy. (I added an all H&O soundtrack for the show trying to lock up the Best in Show title.)

#272 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far guys

Quoted from drsfmd:

Aw, I know this has been an issue at others shows, so I thought the measures that I put into place would help prevent it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mitigate this issue?

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

My Hearts-Spades got 211 plays with no problems. I was a little surprised it didnt sell... oh well... it didnt seem like many of the games for sale were moving.

Almost convinced a friend to buy it :/

Quoted from drsfmd:

- I absolutely loved your Fleet. I played a dozen or more games on it...

Anyone manage to fire the cannons?

Quoted from drsfmd:

a number of the EMs seemed sluggish.

That may have been the ems... Some of the EMs played really well! I wonder if it was partly location in the hall? Most of the problems I noticed were on the same side of the hall. Or maybe those ems were high tapped...

#274 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Anyone manage to fire the cannons?

A friend of mine did all the cannon levels. It was awesome.

#275 2 years ago

I loved that Fleet! Never did manage to fire the cannons though. Next time!

My 1963 Flying Chariots was a trooper, playing well all day long but for one person who couldn't start a game because the coin door slam switch was slightly open. One minute fix and back in play.

I had a great time and loved the broad mix of games. Loading/unloading was easy thanks to the helpful staff and volunteers. Everything was well organized and seemed to run smoothly. Even won a raffle prize! Definitely hope this continues.

#276 2 years ago

I'd consider attending a show in the late fall/early winter. Maybe it can be twice a year.

#277 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Anyone manage to fire the cannons

I did! Never made it all the way to the top though?

#278 2 years ago

Congrats on a great show Adam! My daughter and I had a lot of fun. It looked like a lot of young people were there that appeared to be new to pinball. At the end of the show there was a group of kids really getting into my Batman66. They were having a little mini tournent full of cheering and screaming as they played. I felt bad when it was time to break down the machine and pack it up. They probably would have kept playing a while longer if they could have.

Already looking forward to next years show.

20170812_201013 (resized).jpg

#279 2 years ago

Well, the space is finally all cleared out. Thanks again to everyone who brought games, set up in the flea market, and volunteered. All of you were amazing and really made this show special. Many of the volunteers went above and beyond and helped out long after what they were originally scheduled for. Thanks to everyone who visited the show as well--there were people who came from all over the northeast, and pretty much a stead stream of visitors all day. Everyone seemed to have a good time, and I'm glad it turned out to be a successful event

I would like to note that there were no early removals, which was fantastic.

If anyone has photos to share, please feel free to add them to the thread or link to photo galleries, instagram, etc.

If anyone has feedback, suggestions, and critiques, please share them. As worn out as I am, I think I would be interested in doing it again, and would like to hear about anything that could help improve the show.

I will have to discuss things with our host for the show, but now that the event has proven itself to be successful, I'd like to see if it would be worthwhile to expand the show from a 1-day to a 2-day (friday-saturday) event.

While I realize a good number of people ended up having vacation plans and other obligations and couldn't attend due to the short notice of the show date, it otherwise seemed to work out well. Unfortunately, I don't think it can move into September, since the YMCA starts getting heavier use outside of the summer months. I also don't want to encroach on the York show, or have it too much earlier to encroach on Pintastic.

So, if the show happens around the same time next year, but has a lot more advance notice of the show date(s), would the folks who were unable to attend this year think they would be able to attend?

In the flea market, electric can be provided. It was just too cost prohibitive and would have taken too much time to arrange for this show. But yes, it will certainly be possible to have it for the next one.

I really would like to try to eliminate the issue of low voltage for EM pins. It didn't seem to be an issue to me, but I'm not an EM guy, and really have only played EMs at other shows. For this show, I made sure there was minimal electrical noise from the electrical panel, that the main electrical lines were rated to handle the electrical needs, that the circuits were not overloaded (a max of 5 games per 20 amp circuit), didn't have all the power hogging DMD games all together on the same circuits, and that the extension cords and power strips were all rated to handle the load. Beyond that, does anyone have any additional suggestions of what might help address this issue?

The lack of food on-site was an issue, especially for folks in the flea market who couldn't leave their booth, and I apologize for that. Now that there are actual attendance numbers, I can look into catering or food truck options for next year, since these services all wanted attendance numbers before they would consider setting up for the event.

Lastly, I'm sad to say that the "best in show" awards did not happen, unfortunately. I apologize to anyone who was looking forward to it and anyone who made special preparations in anticipation for it. I simply ran out of time before everyone started packing up and leaving. For next time, I could use 2-3 volunteers experienced in a wide range of games to help with judging. I wasn't able to find folks for this task this year since they either didn't have much experience, or they had their own games on the show floor (they would have had to abstain from the awards if they were judging in order to make it fair). If anyone wants to think about volunteering for this, let me know.

I think that's about all I can think of at the moment. Again, thanks for any feedback you can provide.

#280 2 years ago

Audits on my games:

Rescue 911: 251
    Shadow: 174
    Hulk: 363
    Demolition Man: 204

Once again, Hulk was the top played pin out of all of my games. Even though it's an early solid state game, I'm amazed that it was out played over each of the DMD games. and that R911 was out played over the WPC DMD games.

One final photo of tear-down this morning:

20170813130720430 (resized).jpg

#281 2 years ago

What was the condition of that Bone Busters?

#282 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Once again, Hulk was the top played pin out of all of my games.

Because your Hulk is in great condition and plays beautifully!!! At Pintastic it was one of my favorites.
    -Mike

#283 2 years ago

I think if you can set a date early enough people can plan their vacation accordingly.

I know if I can lock in a date I can attend. Providing I have a nice working machine at the time I don't mind bringing it.

Now when these people start talking about it, others will be looking for next year.

#284 2 years ago

Adam,
    You did a spectacular job getting this show off the ground in such a short amount of time. It was a great success in my estimation, and I was glad that despite the issues I had going on, I was able to make it and bring a free play machine.
    There are certainly issues that need to be addressed for next year's show; as you said, access to food on site is one. Another potential issue I can see if you decide to make it a two day event is the cost of lodging in the area during this particular season. I don't know if anyone else stayed overnight, but I did at the local Best Western. I was able to use rewards points to basically get a room for free, but if I had to pay for it, it would have been well over $300 for one night because of the racing season. I've stayed at this particular hotel in the past, off-season, and the rates were more like a little over $100 per night. I don't know how this can be addressed, because I'm sure all the local hotels have no problem booking their rooms at the inflated rate because of the racing season and other attractions in the area during this time of the year.
    Overall though, the venue was more than adequate for a starting location. Unloading and loading was very convenient, and the place was very clean. I'm not sure what the capacity is for a pinball event, but shoot for at least 100 games for next year! It was great to meet a few Pinsiders too, and of course the show was christened with a couple of heavy thunderstorms with torrential rainfall (what else would you expect at a pinball show!).
    Here's to next year's show and hoping it grows by at least double for next year.

#285 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Which ones in particular? I was disappointed how my "Sky Line" was playing at Pintastic, but it seemed pretty good at this show, despite sharing a power strip with two SS games. I took some early voltage readings with my Fluke meter, and I got around 118VAC with no load. It dropped to around 116VAC at the power strip with my game and one SS game ("Rescue 911") plugged in. Later, a Bally "Spectrum" was added to that circuit, but my game seemed to play reasonably well. At that time, I didn't take a voltage reading.

#286 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

The only game that I saw that was sold was a project Williams "Blue Chip" from the flea market area. I had "for sale" on my "Sky Line", but didn't really want to sell it. I didn't post a price, and didn't get any offers or phone calls. Of course, everything is for sale at the right price!

#287 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

if I had to pay for it, it would have been well over $300 for one night because of the racing season. I've stayed at this particular hotel in the past, off-season, and the rates were more like a little over $100 per night.

I tried to check prices every few days for about a month leading up to the event, and from what I saw, prices seemed to bounce around all over the place--from $85 all the way up to $300.

I'm guessing if you book early or set alerts for pricing changes, you may be able to get a reasonable rate.

I can also ask around about group rates, but I'm guessing there will be a minimum number of rooms required.

For anyone who stayed at any of the hotels--do you have any feedback for those? I have not stayed in any of them myself.

#288 2 years ago

I finally got around to reading the meter on Flying Chariots and was impressed to find 239 plays on the clock. Pretty good for a 54 year old!

#289 2 years ago

20170812105837536 (resized).jpg20170812123930832 (resized).jpg20170812134804840 (resized).jpg20170812134808060 (resized).jpg20170812134812127 (resized).jpg

20170812134848434 (resized).jpg

20170812152844158 (resized).jpg

20170812152829154 (resized).jpg

20170812135039778 (resized).jpg

#290 2 years ago

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks to everyone that put on the show. It is the first show of this type I have been to and I had the best time! Have been waiting for years for something like this close to home. I didn't arrive until 1pm and had to leave at 7, but if this happens next year (and I sure hope it does), I will be arriving before the doors open and be one of the last to leave. Comfy sneaks are the key for endurance. I may even bring a machine of my own next year. My only suggestion for next time (hate to say anything as it sounds negative and it was all good to me) would be to make sure the popular long line machines like Dialed In are set to 3 balls so the lines move through quicker and people don't get bored waiting in line. Can't say it enough, thanks to everyone involved for giving me the best day in a long time.

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from elub518:

make sure the popular long line machines like Dialed In are set to 3 balls so the lines move through quicker and people don't get bored waiting in line

Totally agree with this. It was great to have Dialed In there (thanks, JJP!), but it should have been set to 3 balls and it probably should have had extra balls turned off. That being said, I had lots of fun playing it (once) and I'm glad lots of people at the show got to check it out.

#292 2 years ago

An operator was generous enough to bring Dialed in for the show, but it was left configured for long ball times to encourage location play. I only noticed it was set to 5-ball at the end of the show when things were wrapping up. If someone mentioned it sooner, I could have adjusted the setting. Sorry guys

#293 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

An operator was generous enough to bring Dialed in for the show, but it was left configured for long ball times to encourage location play. I only noticed it was set to 5-ball at the end of the show when things were wrapping up. If someone mentioned it sooner, I could have adjusted the setting. Sorry guys

For the crowd that was there, 5 balls probably wasn't that big of a deal most of the time and didn't lead to super long game times. But I played in a 4-player game that took at least 30 minutes. I was even thinking about not playing my last 2 balls, until Player 2 started to catch my score and make things close.

#294 2 years ago

congrats on a good first show!

looks like a fun time!

#295 2 years ago

I agree on the ball time configuration! Next time I'll have to volunteer sooner, I mostly did a lot of observing and I believe I can solve future problems like that.

I never had a chance to play Dialed In as the lines and ball times took forever, but I did get a chance to play Bat66 and it was great fun!

There were a few machines I noticed people had left mid game and I finished those out or set a new game if the machine would do it. It was a wonderful show and I got a lot of chances to play great games!

#296 2 years ago

Picked this beast up at the show. My back is feelin' it today!

20170813_155539 (resized).jpg

#297 2 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

great pickup! 1 of 2 arcades I used to play with my brother back in the day. I would have snagged it if I had been in driving distance.

If you ever get tired of it, please let me know. I would LOVE to surprise my brother with one someday as a present.

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

great pickup! 1 of 2 arcades I used to play with my brother back in the day. I would have snagged it if I had been in driving distance.
    If you ever get tired of it, please let me know. I would LOVE to surprise my brother with one someday as a present.

That's so funny, my brother and I used to play it too. I'l keep you in mind if I ever decide to get rid of it, but I don't cycle through arcades too much, not like pins anyway.

#299 2 years ago

That's so funny, my brother and I used to play it too. I'l keep you in mind if I ever decide to get rid of it, but I don't cycle through arcades too much, not like pins anyway.

cheers!

#300 2 years ago

If I had the room, and thought there was any hope of fitting it down my stairs, I would have bought that one for myself. Great pickup.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 9.95
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 64.00
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside