(Topic ID: 190940)

Saratoga Pinball Show - 8/12/17 - Saratoga Springs, NY - Next Show Announced!

By ForceFlow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 330 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170813_155539 (resized).jpg
    20170812135039778 (resized).jpg
    20170812152829154 (resized).jpg
    20170812152844158 (resized).jpg
    20170812134848434 (resized).jpg
    20170812134812127 (resized).jpg
    20170812134804840 (resized).jpg
    20170812134808060 (resized).jpg
    20170812123930832 (resized).jpg
    20170812105837536 (resized).jpg
    20170813130720430 (resized).jpg
    20170812_201013 (resized).jpg
    20170812153941154 (resized).jpg
    20170812134851937 (resized).jpg
    20170812134922925 (resized).jpg
    20170812134927909 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 6 years ago

Bump to get this over 100 post! Now we need to get 50 machines registered to make this a great new show!

#102 6 years ago

I just heard that The Glens Falls Chronicle posted a blurb about the show in their paper this week. So, the word is getting out there.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A Stern Dracula is now registered for free play.

Good to see you are picking steam and commitments for the show. Good luck.

#104 6 years ago

I could bring Space Odyssey and possibly Bone Busters (if I get it fixed in time).
    Cheers!

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wooozy:

I could bring Space Odyssey and possibly Bone Busters (if I get it fixed in time).
    Cheers!

I don't think I've ever played Bone Busters, but I'd like to (hint, hint)

#106 6 years ago

Bone Busters is awesome. I hope it can be there for everyone. Would be a great add for the show.

#107 6 years ago

I picked up Hearts and Spades tonight (bought back a machine I sold a few years ago). Needs a waxing and a minor shopping (a few new rubbers) and it will be ready to go. Looking forward to bringing it to the show.

#108 6 years ago

The Shadow is now registered for free play.

#109 6 years ago

There is going to be a raffle!

By bringing a clean, working game to the show for free play, you will be entered into the raffle for a chance to win one of the six $25 gift certificates available! There are four $25 Pinball Life gift certificates and two $25 Pinitech gift certificates that a raffle winner can choose from.

Each game you bring will count as a raffle entry, so bringing more than one game will increase your chances of winning.

Gift certificates will be limited to one per winner. The gift certificate will be awarded to the person who originally registered the game.

http://pinballsaratoga.com/games/game-registration/#Free_Play_Raffle_Details

#110 6 years ago

Pile me on-board with raffle prizes. I'll offer two $25 credits/certificates toward any Pinitech branded products. I can't do coupon codes on the website & don't have any fancy gift certificates drawn up, so you'll have to Photoshop something

I'd just need the winner's name / email address after the raffle so I can make sure they get their prize.

Hopefully others in the community can continue coming together to help make this a great first show for you!

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#111 6 years ago

That's awesome, thank you!

I'll shoot you a PM for details.

#112 6 years ago

Thanks to @acebathound, the prize pool for the raffle has increased and there is now a total of six $25 gift certificates available between the four for pinball Life and the two for Pinitech!

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks to acebathound, the prize pool for the raffle has increased and there is now a total of 6 $25 gift certificates available between the four for pinball Life and the two for Pinitech!

Hopefully the prizes will help you get more games signed up for the show. It is driving me crazy not to see more game preregistered and I am still trying to see if I can change things to get a couple machines up to the show for you but so far it isn't looking good as far as me being able to make it.

I think it is very important for this show to be a success - not only for you but to inspire other Pinsides to consider doing something similar in their area. Keep up the great work!

#114 6 years ago

Since preregistered games will help draw some people to the show do you think it would make sense to only enter preregistered machines into the drawing? This might help you get more people to preregister instead of just showing up with machines the day of the show?

Maybe even use 4 of the "prizes" for preregistered and 2 for unregistered machines? I really was hoping to see a lot more machines preregistered and I am sure anyone doing a show would prefer preregistered machines to walk ins.

Just a thought!

#115 6 years ago

I thought about it, but people who just come and bring something to the show still go through the same effort in bringing a game.

Maybe I'll see if I can come up with a larger prize available only for people who pre-register a game.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought about it, but people who just come and bring something to the show still go through the same effort in bringing a game.
    Maybe I'll see if I can come up with a larger prize available only for people who pre-register a game.

It is really hard to come up with a "formula" that works great and even promoters who have been doing shows for years keep "adjusting" things to improve their results so I know it is always a tough call to get things 100% right especially when trying something new. I just wish there was some way to get about a dozen (or more) additional machines preregistered for you.

Keep up the good work!

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I just wish there was some way to get about a dozen (or more) additional machines preregistered for you.

gummies

#119 6 years ago

It's in print in the Glens Falls Chronicle

20170729163301013-1 (resized).jpg20170729163301013-1 (resized).jpg

#120 6 years ago

Looks like there is a Williams Saratoga for sale in Buffalo NY.

buffalo.craigslist.org link

Too far for me, but maybe someone else can grab it if they're interested.

#121 6 years ago

So I ran into Adam in upstate NY the other day. Here's a guy who has done a boatload of work putting together a show near the capitol district, has its own website, made up cards, flyers, pulled his hair out getting the word out about this event and with about 11 days to go ...he has all of 11 (eleven) games registered. Of those eleven games, three are his and two are mine. Really??? I read about guys giving all kinds of excuses as to why they can't or aren't bringing games. ...and believe me, I've heard it all over the years. Guys are always worried about the public beating up their game or it being damaged in transport. These old games are built pretty well and made to take a beating. Plus, it's rare that show attendees beat up machines from what I've seen over the years. I also don't want to hear about how hard it is to move games. We can certainly move them when we're pulling them out of god knows what kind of basement or attic or dungeon when we find them can't we. Enough of the excuses.

Folks, it's time to put up or shut up. We've heard so many times how much we enjoy the shows and how nice it would be to have a show closer to home. Well here it is, it needs support. I hear from promoters at all the shows I've attended, its the people in the hobby who bring games, who set up in the flea market, who sell parts that make the show. Well so far here in upstate NY, it looks like we have a bunch of folks who can talk about it but are unwilling to support it. I know I'm going to get blasted by people who are either away on vacation or have to work or do have a legitimate reason for not bringing a game. It's not you I'm trying to convince. It's the others ...and there are many out there. THIS MEANS YOU! Come on, I find it very difficult to believe that there aren't enough folks in this area who aren't away or don't have to go to their aunt Tilly's hundredth birthday party or who's kid isn't celebrating their sweet 16th birthday to come up with fifty games to fill this venue. So go ahead, blast me but remember, we want shows, here's a show ...without support, it dies a painful death ...that's what I'm trying to prevent. Adam really kind of can't and it's likely would never write this, but someone has to.

Here's to hoping there's a swoon of late registrations. If we go into this show with 10 to 15 games, I fear it will either be cancelled or be a one and done.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1stpinballdave:

Folks, it's time to put up or shut up.

Easy there tiger.

I'm the one who talked about how hard it is to get games in and out of my basement... I've got a very narrow hallway and two 180 degree turns to navigate. It also involves disassembly of the backbox and removal of the head to get a game narrow enough to make the turn. So I stepped up, and I did put my money where my mouth is and went out and bought a game SPECIFICALLY so I would have something to bring to the show. I want to see the local pinball community come together, and I want to see this show be a huge success.

We each have unique situations, and many of us don't have Bilco doors or a walkout basement, nor access to a pickup truck. I'm probably going to end up renting a truck or trailer for the day to get this machine to the show, as I don't think it's going to fit in the back of my SUV.

Your sentiment isn't wrong, but the approach is a little harsh.

#123 6 years ago

So I ran into Adam in upstate NY the other day. Here's a guy who has done a boatload of work putting together a show near the capitol district, has its own website, made up cards, flyers, pulled his hair out getting the word out about this event and with about 11 days to go ...he has all of 11 (eleven) games registered. Of those eleven games, three are his and two are mine. Really??? I read about guys giving all kinds of excuses as to why they can't or aren't bringing games. ...and believe me, I've heard it all over the years. Guys are always worried about the public beating up their game or it being damaged in transport. These old games are built pretty well and made to take a beating. Plus, it's rare that show attendees beat up machines from what I've seen over the years. I also don't want to hear about how hard it is to move games. We can certainly move them when we're pulling them out of god knows what kind of basement or attic or dungeon when we find them can't we. Enough of the excuses.
    Folks, it's time to put up or shut up. We've heard so many times how much we enjoy the shows and how nice it would be to have a show closer to home. Well here it is, it needs support. I hear from promoters at all the shows I've attended, its the people in the hobby who bring games, who set up in the flea market, who sell parts that make the show. Well so far here in upstate NY, it looks like we have a bunch of folks who can talk about it but are unwilling to support it. I know I'm going to get blasted by people who are either away on vacation or have to work or do have a legitimate reason for not bringing a game. It's not you I'm trying to convince. It's the others ...and there are many out there. THIS MEANS YOU! Come on, I find it very difficult to believe that there aren't enough folks in this area who aren't away or don't have to go to their aunt Tilly's hundredth birthday party or who's kid isn't celebrating their sweet 16th birthday to come up with fifty games to fill this venue. So go ahead, blast me but remember, we want shows, here's a show ...without support, it dies a painful death ...that's what I'm trying to prevent. Adam really kind of can't and it's likely would never write this, but someone has to.
    Here's to hoping there's a swoon of late registrations. If we go into this show with 10 to 15 games, I fear it will either be cancelled or be a one and done.

I agree 110% with everything said above. We met Adam for the first time at the Allentown Show this past Spring and what a nice guy. Then a few weeks ago I saw his post about doing a show in upstate NY and my first though was what a great idea for those local to the area. (I figured he would attempt to get the show off the ground in 2018). Then to my surprise 3 or 4 weeks later he announced the date for August 12th 2017. Trying to put a show together in just a few weeks. Putting a Show together is no easy task (even if you have over a year) - but trying to get one off the ground in just a couple months is CRAZY HARD!

Anyway - for those of you the keep saying "it is too hard to move a machine" etc. How hard do you think it is to put a show together? Come on you guys - get those machines to the show and help Adam make this show a success. I live over 6 hours away and I am still trying to rearrange my schedule to get machines to the show. I have very little chance of being able to do that but I am not going to give up without a fight. Yet with 100's of Pinsiders within an hour or two drive Adam can't come up with 50 machines to fill the show? All I can say is VERY SAD that so few people have stepped up at this point.

I don't doubt he will end up with 30+ machines at the show but I am sure he doesn't need the stress of not having more machine preregistered. PLEASE help make this show a success so he can do it again next year and so other Pinsiders try to do the same thing in their areas. We need more shows and the "smaller show" model would be a great way to get some started!

#124 6 years ago

well i am RI and it's impossible for me to go - but if anybody wants to bring a few of my games they are welcome to do it - i have a clearcoated taxi that can go - it played great the last 2 years at pintastic, and also a just finished 60 and 1 (everything new - the one that was at the seminar for pintastic, it is light to move around. if anybody is going up from this way they are welcome to bring those games - i only ask that they bring them back. well the 60 in 1 they can sell it there also. taxi i always put a very high price on it as i don't want to sell it. thanks ed

i am right on the mass/ri line - 2 minutes off the highway - easy load.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

well i am RI and it's impossible for me to go - but if anybody wants to bring a few of my games they are welcome to do it - i have a clearcoated taxi that can go - it played great the last 2 years at pintastic, and also a just finished 60 and 1 (everything new - the one that was at the seminar for pintastic, it is light to move around. if anybody is going up from this way they are welcome to bring those games - i only ask that they bring them back. well the 60 in 1 they can sell it there also. taxi i always put a very high price on it as i don't want to sell it. thanks ed
    i am right on the mass/ri line - 2 minutes off the highway - easy load.

Ed, That is a super nice offer but my question is what is up with the "local guys" that live in the area of the show? It totally amazes me that so far only a handful of them have stepped up. I know July & August are a busy time of the year but only a dozen machines registered and half of those belonging to a couple people?

#126 6 years ago

If folks pre-register, the check-in process will take about 10 seconds when you arrive at the show. If you don't pre-register, it will take 3-6 minutes per person. That time adds up when there's a line of people at the loading door. I would hope to get people in and setting up games and having fun as quickly as possible.

I'm hoping that with the show date rapidly approaching with only 11 days to go, folks who have said earlier that they don't know what game they are bringing that they now have a good idea of what they will be bringing. If you fall into that group, please register as soon as you can. Thanks

http://pinballsaratoga.com/games/game-registration/

I hate to say it, but if people don't commit to bringing games, this show will not be successful. I am basically measuring the success of the show on how many games appear and how many spaces are taken in flea market--not necessarily what the walk-in attendance would be, which I'm not too worried about. If everyone brings games, I would be thrilled to make it a yearly event, and walk-in attendance would likely easily follow from that, especially after word gets around about how awesome the first year was. So let's make it awesome!

This show needs really support from local collectors & enthusiasts--it's a show primarily for you guys, and I based it on what I heard from everyone over the past couple years. If there is little support and people don't bring games, another show would not be worthwhile here in the northeast and it probably would never happen again--either put on by me or anyone else. So, here's our shot and those are the stakes.

If anyone thinks I'm trying to cash in on anything, I'm not making a dime from this show. Whatever the show earns is going to a local charity. I'm doing this show because I enjoy the hobby, and along with several others, I wanted to see a show in our backyard that was easy to get to. So, after much legwork, here it is

I know I'm excited to see this show coming together, and I know a number of other people are very excited to see it as well. The staff at the YMCA are also incredibly excited to be hosting this show, and they already want to see this become a yearly event even before it has actually happened! Many of you might not even realize how much we really lucked out with this venue--they have been incredibly supportive and accommodating, and I think it will work out quite well. It also has room to grow for year two and beyond, which I hope it does.

So let's make this happen!

#127 6 years ago

I got in touch with Greg from All Over Albany and he did a short promo piece.
    http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2017/07/31/saratoga-pinball-show

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

I got in touch with Greg from All Over Albany and he did a short promo piece.
    http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2017/07/31/saratoga-pinball-show

Awesome, thanks!

#129 6 years ago

Based on a comment I just heard from someone--

If you're one of the people saying that you're not registering a game because you're not seeing enough registered games, all I can say is this: if you register a game, then there will be more. It only takes a few people to get things snowballing.

So what are you waiting for?

Also, if you haven't noticed yet, someone is bringing a Star Wars Pro--surely that game alone is worthwhile to play if you haven't had a chance yet.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Based on a comment I just heard from someone--
    If you're one of the people saying that you're not registering a game because you're not seeing enough registered games, all I can say is this: if you register a game, then there will be more. It only takes a few people to get things snowballing.
    So what are you waiting for?
    Also, if you haven't noticed yet, someone is bringing a Star Wars Pro--surely that game alone is worthwhile to play if you haven't had a chance yet.

Adam,

Wayne & I are "pulling for you" and wish you the best. Soooooooooooo many people (Pinsiders) do not realize something like this is basically a "snowball effect" and once that "snowball" gets rolling is is a beautiful thing but unless the snowball is rolling it will not grow.

As you know I have had my "frustrations" with the "Pinside Crowd" in the past and seeing something like this just reminds me again that our "community" isn't really as much of a community as most of us would hope for.

The lack of preregestered games for your show just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't think anyone here realizes how important it is for your show to be a success. Not just for pinball in your area but to encourage other people to try starting smaller shows in their area. I just can't even begin to understand why that hall isn't full already?

Come on guys - lets make this happen!

#131 6 years ago

If you are one of the people "on the fence" about bringing machines to the show - something else to remember. Regardless of how many games are actually at the show there will be buyers at the show. So people who are smart enough to bring machines for sale will likely go home without them.

If you take a game or two to a show like Allentown you are a small fish in a big pond. If you take a game or two to a show that only has 40 machines for sale your odds of selling that machine are much better. So if you live within an hour or two of the show and have machines you want to sell this will likely be your best shot of getting them sold compared to Craig's List, listing on Pinside, etc.

Now all I need to do is figure out a way to talk my wife into "taking the hit" on a room we have reserved in Western PA (for our vacation) and heading north instead and I could be one of the guys selling machines at the show. But my wife just doesn't like renting a motel room and not using it so she is going to be a hard sell!

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Wait, did someone actually say that?

Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you fall into that group, please register as soon as you can. Thanks

I'll try to get more listed as soon as I can be sure, but no guarantees some won't be registered Thursday night...

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

If you take a game or two to a show like Allentown you are a small fish in a big pond. If you take a game or two to a show that only has 40 machines for sale your odds of selling that machine are much better. So if you live within an hour or two of the show and have machines you want to sell this will likely be your best shot of getting them sold compared to Craig's List, listing on Pinside, etc.

That's a very good point. On top of that, Saratoga Springs is a fairly affluent area, so people do have money to spend.

#134 6 years ago

Adam, add a $100 Grand Prize / website credit from PINITECH, exclusive for the people that pre-register machines before the show. Good for anything "PINITECH" branded on my website like the nvram battery eliminators, kits/assembled versions of Pinitech diagnostic tools and Bally LED displays. It just wouldn't include the couple of 3rd party diagnostic tools I'm selling. You could split this into 2x $50 prizes, but it may be best left as a large prize since there's already a handful of other raffle prizes being offered for anyone bringing a machine. This would just be exclusive to anyone signing up on the list before the show.

Hope that helps things out. Regardless, I'll know I've done my part to help encourage people to remember the "community" aspect of a community. BIG THINGS can be achieved with a little help from a lot of people. That can be proven with this show.

#135 6 years ago

I also think it'd be neat if there's a few people doing pinball-related apparel or everyday-use type items (t-shirts, hats, coffee mugs, etc) in the community could donate stuff the general public would like as "door prizes" for the show. I always thought that was cool at the York Show. Hey, worth a shot

#136 6 years ago

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks Wayne!

So here's the deal--if you register a game before midnight on Wednesday 8/9--just over a week from now--you will be eligible for the $100 free play grand prize raffle which can be used at http://pinitech.com!

If you are not familiar with Pinitech, check out the product page. There are several useful diagnostic tools (many of which I use), plus NVRAM (to get those batteries off of MPUs), plus the new classic Bally/Stern LED score displays, EPROM adapters, and the Gottlieb System 80B Piggy Deux board to replace the flaky 80B MPU daughter board!

#137 6 years ago

Two additional games have just been registered for free play!

http://pinballsaratoga.com/games/

#138 6 years ago

Is anyone looking for an Atari Hercules?

Someone just offered me one for sale--$3000 OBO shipped to the show location from NJ--discount available if you bring it to the show!

As much as I would like to own one to complete my Atari collection and see one at the show, my problem is that I don't have room for this behemoth. It has a footprint of about 3'x6.5' and looks to be maybe 7 or 8' tall.

If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with the seller.

#139 6 years ago

Is there a way we can find out whether the free play pins are for sale or not (and asking prices)? I unfortunately can't make it due to family vacation however some local pinheads are considering going if the wedge heads are for sale and if the prices are right. Its unfortunate that i can't go since theres some sweet titles!

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Is there a way we can find out whether the free play pins are for sale or not (and asking prices)? I unfortunately can't make it due to family vacation however some local pinheads are considering going if the wedge heads are for sale and if the prices are right. Its unfortunate that i can't go since theres some sweet titles!

Not unless they are listed in the for sale thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saratoga-pinball-show-2017-partsgames-for-sale

#141 6 years ago

Another two games have been registered! Now we're on a roll!

#142 6 years ago

So the 5 wedgheads aren't for sale?

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

I honestly don't know. They could be. That information isn't requested for registration.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like there is a Williams Saratoga for sale in Buffalo NY.
    buffalo.craigslist.org link
    Too far for me, but maybe someone else can grab it if they're interested.

I could probably bring it out to Albany area if you want to buy it

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I could probably bring it out to Albany area if you want to buy it

Thanks for the offer, but it's not really a game I have a whole lot of interest in owning. I would be happy to put a couple games on it if someone does bring it, though.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Ken,

My two games (Aquarius and Domino ...which incidentally was the blue ribbon winner for best 60's game at Pintastic) are for sale. We however have to adhere to the show rules ...so any games on the show floor should not be removed by the new owner prior to 7PM.

Dave

#147 6 years ago

Ken,
    My two games (Aquarius and Domino ...which incidentally was the blue ribbon winner for best 60's game at Pintastic) are for sale. We however have to adhere to the show rules ...so any games on the show floor should not be removed by the new owner prior to 7PM.
    Dave

Not Ken. It's his son, Michael.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Someone just offered me one for sale--$3000 OBO shipped to the show location from NJ--discount available if you bring it to the show!

This is actually a great deal for someone who drives to a lot of shows and wants to have a show piece game to bring with them.

The game comes with a curse though, they are likely the number one game that show organizers want at their shows so if you have one you do get harassed about whether you will be able to make a show (or so I've been told).

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is anyone looking for an Atari Hercules?
    As much as I would like to own one to complete my Atari collection and see one at the show, my problem is that I don't have room for this behemoth. It has a footprint of about 3'x6.5' and looks to be maybe 7 or 8' tall.
    If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with the seller.

I have always wanted one of these for some stupid reason but I just can't justify the space it would take up. I am a very big guy so this machine was actually built for me but how can you justify one machine taking up space you could otherwise have 3 or 4 machines in? But I still think it is very cool!

#150 6 years ago

Would have loved to bring my two woodrails to this show but going to be away on vacation. Hope to see the show happen again next year.

There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-show-saratoga-pinball-show-sat-aug-12-saratoga-springs-ny/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.