7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ZCAT_A_DSL_LQI (resized).jpg
28A_SPL (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnerd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

Jumping in here, I'm Tazmancat's, um, pinball tech. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Addressing the speaker noise issue in case another WOZ owner in a similar situation finds their way here. The following thread provided the most insight on the source of the noise: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozecle-speakers-sound-tinny-buzzing

In the case of our WOZRR, the various digital noises coming through the speakers were very loud, louder than any other sound except for the jet engine noise coming from the cooling fan in the power supply. (JJP, seriously guys, spend a couple extra bucks on a decent temperature controlled fan for that thing. Maybe I got a bad one but I can hear it whine in my office down the hall. It's horrendous! Stock Chinese cooling fans are garbage, we know this.)

I started with the obvious, checking that all the connections were made, connectors correctly inserted, etc. The display power was the only loose connection. Not surprisingly, fixing this had no effect on the audio noise.

The noise is very much associated with the large bundle of wires running through the middle of the control box. Again, not surprising. Analog audio signals in close proximity (and running parallel with) digital control signals is not a good scenario. Those cables really need to run separate paths where possible and cross paths at 90 degree angles for best results. But it's an imperfect world so I did the best I could to isolate them as space allowed. It helped to cut the nylon ties and drop the audio cable down to the the bottom of the control box. The extra few mm made a difference.

In this case, the 3.5mm audio cable that connects the green audio output of the main board to the pink connector of the Pinovators board is the primary culprit. Rerouting that cable helped considerably but did not completely eliminate the issue. The thread referenced above mentions removing the audio filter from that line. That filter is not present in this machine but I happened to have a similar one on hand. Installing it reduced the remaining noise where it is not noticeable once a game starts.

I have ordered a very short 3.5mm cable to minimize the excess audio cable inside the control box. There's about 12" of excess right now and any extra cable in there is just going to pick-up system noise.

Clearly we have our share of (mostly minor) issues here. It's pinball, most of us are used to it. That said, once up and running this game is really nice. Smooth play and solid build. Also, very well packaged for shipping.

LTG, thanks for the quick response--late on a Fri. Top shelf, sir. Well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnerd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ruby-red-woz-shes-beautiful-but-has-some-issues?tu=pinnerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.