Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by capguntrooper
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ZCAT_A_DSL_LQI (resized).jpg
28A_SPL (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hubby and I just received a brand new Ruby Red Wizard of Oz pinball machine and she is gorgeous. I did have some questions for those of you who own this beauty.

1. Does this machine come with a topper? The pictures on the JJP website show a topper. Ours did not come with one.

2. Is the machine supposed to come with a printed manual? Again, the website indicates that this version comes with a printed manual. There was no manual.

3. Upon turning on the machine and booting up, there is a screeching noise that accompanies the drive access. There is also another whine that follows the pulsing of the playfield LEDs. Has anyone experienced similar audio issues?

4. The cooling fan noise is also really loud. Any solution for that?

5. Tried to log a ticket with JJP, but the support portal is unresponsive, regardless of internet browser. How does a customer get support with the portal down?

This last question isn't an issue, but a mod question:

The RR machine comes with the pre-installed castle walls, but the walls do not extend around the witch, who is encased in a cheap plastic container. I know Modfather makes a witch's well, but I wasn't sure if his well worked with the existing walls in the Ruby Red machine. Are folks removing the installed walls and replacing them with Modfather's walls/well? Or keeping the existing walls and only purchasing the well? I'm a little confused here as you can see...

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Tazmancat:

1. Does this machine come with a topper? The pictures on the JJP website show a topper. Ours did not come with one.

Yes. Call JJP on Monday, extension 222

Quoted from Tazmancat:

2. Is the machine supposed to come with a printed manual? Again, the website indicates that this version comes with a printed manual. There was no manual.

Yes. Call JJP on Monday, extension 222

Quoted from Tazmancat:

5. Tried to log a ticket with JJP, but the support portal is unresponsive, regardless of internet browser. How does a customer get support with the portal down?

Call JJP and let them know.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Wow, 3 min response time. How's that for service.

#4 3 years ago

There is a topper sandwiched in cardboard inside the box somewhere. Hopefully you haven't thrown anything away yet. As for the manual, it comes with a digital manual on disk. Depending on what distributor you used, it may come with a paper manual. Mine did but it was shipped separately direct from my distributor.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks LTG for the super-fast response!!

Quoted from konghusker:

There is a topper sandwiched in cardboard inside the box somewhere. Hopefully you haven't thrown anything away yet. As for the manual, it comes with a digital manual on disk.

We have all the shipping materials, and the topper didn't make it. As for the disc with the manual, well, we got a disc, but it's for the Hobbit and not for WOZ. Doh! I'm thinking someone was asleep at the wheel at their station...

#6 3 years ago

ill buy the hobbit disc, if you're selling.

#7 3 years ago

Jumping in here, I'm Tazmancat's, um, pinball tech. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Addressing the speaker noise issue in case another WOZ owner in a similar situation finds their way here. The following thread provided the most insight on the source of the noise: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozecle-speakers-sound-tinny-buzzing

In the case of our WOZRR, the various digital noises coming through the speakers were very loud, louder than any other sound except for the jet engine noise coming from the cooling fan in the power supply. (JJP, seriously guys, spend a couple extra bucks on a decent temperature controlled fan for that thing. Maybe I got a bad one but I can hear it whine in my office down the hall. It's horrendous! Stock Chinese cooling fans are garbage, we know this.)

I started with the obvious, checking that all the connections were made, connectors correctly inserted, etc. The display power was the only loose connection. Not surprisingly, fixing this had no effect on the audio noise.

The noise is very much associated with the large bundle of wires running through the middle of the control box. Again, not surprising. Analog audio signals in close proximity (and running parallel with) digital control signals is not a good scenario. Those cables really need to run separate paths where possible and cross paths at 90 degree angles for best results. But it's an imperfect world so I did the best I could to isolate them as space allowed. It helped to cut the nylon ties and drop the audio cable down to the the bottom of the control box. The extra few mm made a difference.

In this case, the 3.5mm audio cable that connects the green audio output of the main board to the pink connector of the Pinovators board is the primary culprit. Rerouting that cable helped considerably but did not completely eliminate the issue. The thread referenced above mentions removing the audio filter from that line. That filter is not present in this machine but I happened to have a similar one on hand. Installing it reduced the remaining noise where it is not noticeable once a game starts.

I have ordered a very short 3.5mm cable to minimize the excess audio cable inside the control box. There's about 12" of excess right now and any extra cable in there is just going to pick-up system noise.

Clearly we have our share of (mostly minor) issues here. It's pinball, most of us are used to it. That said, once up and running this game is really nice. Smooth play and solid build. Also, very well packaged for shipping.

LTG, thanks for the quick response--late on a Fri. Top shelf, sir. Well done.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PinNerd:

Jumping in here, I'm Tazmancat's, um, pinball tech. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Addressing the speaker noise issue in case another WOZ owner in a similar situation finds their way here. The following thread provided the most insight on the source of the noise: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozecle-speakers-sound-tinny-buzzing
In the case of our WOZRR, the various digital noises coming through the speakers were very loud, louder than any other sound except for the jet engine noise coming from the cooling fan in the power supply. (JJP, seriously guys, spend a couple extra bucks on a decent temperature controlled fan for that thing. Maybe I got a bad one but I can hear it whine in my office down the hall. It's horrendous! Stock Chinese cooling fans are garbage, we know this.)
I started with the obvious, checking that all the connections were made, connectors correctly inserted, etc. The display power was the only loose connection. Not surprisingly, fixing this had no effect on the audio noise.
The noise is very much associated with the large bundle of wires running through the middle of the control box. Again, not surprising. Analog audio signals in close proximity (and running parallel with) digital control signals is not a good scenario. Those cables really need to run separate paths where possible and cross paths at 90 degree angles for best results. But it's an imperfect world so I did the best I could to isolate them as space allowed. It helped to cut the nylon ties and drop the audio cable down to the the bottom of the control box. The extra few mm made a difference.
In this case, the 3.5mm audio cable that connects the green audio output of the main board to the pink connector of the Pinovators board is the primary culprit. Rerouting that cable helped considerably but did not completely eliminate the issue. The thread referenced above mentions removing the audio filter from that line. That filter is not present in this machine but I happened to have a similar one on hand. Installing it reduced the remaining noise where it is not noticeable once a game starts.
I have ordered a very short 3.5mm cable to minimize the excess audio cable inside the control box. There's about 12" of excess right now and any extra cable in there is just going to pick-up system noise.
Clearly we have our share of (mostly minor) issues here. It's pinball, most of us are used to it. That said, once up and running this game is really nice. Smooth play and solid build. Also, very well packaged for shipping.
LTG, thanks for the quick response--late on a Fri. Top shelf, sir. Well done.

Well written sir. I have worked on WOZ machines and have completely rid them of the RF noise by adding Ferrite Clamp On Cores which can be bought for a few bucks from multiple sites, I beleive Mouser has them for 2.36 each. See attached pictures for reference. Upon my return home I will develop a fan mod to negate the cooling noise I have heard WOZ owners are having. I made a similar mod for the Spike sytems for Stern and was able to get 4 protoypes out before deploying and all 4 are still going strong and keep the PS cool the entire time machine is on so the PS fan never comes on. To avoid concern, the PS fan is still present and will come on if PS gets to a needed cooling temp, but with my mod it never comes on because the PS is kept at a cooler level constantly.

28A_SPL (resized).jpg

ZCAT_A_DSL_LQI (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 38.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside