(Topic ID: 265874)

new rubbers or to steep.

By MSLONEKER

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

18315536-D83B-4B3D-B511-3504E8F3D8C9 (resized).jpeg
    20200407_073937 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

so i have a lotr. My first pin. Trying to get better. 94mil is my high score. Trying to learn some flipper technique. But all the cool PAPA flipper techniques don't work. example the dead flipper. where it comes down hits one and just bounces over to the other does not work. it bounces right to the evil sling which then shoots it to the out lane. Wtf. according to the bubble level the game is not at a steep enough tilt, but my pinlevel app says its to steep. would new rubbers help soften the strike or make it bounce even worse.

#2 4 years ago

Depends on the rubber. Black rubber bounces less than red. New rubber bounces more than old rubber. If the ball is moving fast enough it could send any dead bounce to the sling though. I suggest trying a live catch or drop catch to slow those really fast balls down.

#3 4 years ago

the rubber is green. not sure of the manufacturer. the dead flip looked cool because it passed it to the other flipper. i can catch it, but my post pass is unreliable too.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from MSLONEKER:

the rubber is green. not sure of the manufacturer. the dead flip looked cool because it passed it to the other flipper. i can catch it, but my post pass is unreliable too.

I don’t have too much experience with the green rubber so unsure on where that factors into the bouncy scale. Try different combos of game steepness and rubber and see what you find out.

#5 4 years ago

They could be super bands, which are very tacky/sticky and are less bouncy but can provide better 'control' of shots.

Try picking up classic black rubber flipper rubbers.

#6 4 years ago

Also check the angle of the flipper bat. If it is too "flat", it could bounce more upwards.

#7 4 years ago

angle of flipper bat??? I'm gonna have google that i didn't know that was adjustable.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from MSLONEKER:

angle of flipper bat??? I'm gonna have google that i didn't know that was adjustable.

The flipper shaft is held in place by a couple of screws/nuts down below, loosening those you can rotate the flipper a lot, the trick is getting them in the correct angle so they sit the same on both sides and flow from the inlanes correctly

Edit: but don't worry aboot any of that shit, get some real red or black rubber.

#9 4 years ago

Post a pic of your playfeild and flippers

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Post a pic of your playfeild and flippers

here u go.

20200407_073937 (resized).jpg20200407_073937 (resized).jpg
    #11 4 years ago
    Quoted from MSLONEKER:

here u go.[quoted image]

Flipper adjustment looks good. Those are Titan silicone and will definitely have more bounce than traditional rubber. Put black regular rubber on those flippers and see if that helps. Then maybe make the game steeper (6.5 plus), then see if that helps more.

#12 4 years ago

Look like super bands to me. But either way replace with real rubber red or black and the playfeild looks like it could use a good clean in that pic, maybe a wax

#13 4 years ago

I think this is the Titan stamp. I was going to recommend to use super bands as they reduce bounce compared to Titan as well.

18315536-D83B-4B3D-B511-3504E8F3D8C9 (resized).jpeg18315536-D83B-4B3D-B511-3504E8F3D8C9 (resized).jpeg
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Look like super bands to me. But either way replace with real rubber red or black and the playfeild looks like it could use a good clean in that pic, maybe a wax

will do on rubber. i was supposed to clean it last weekend but the wife had me planting fruit trees instead. its been 1/2 year since last wax. does the angle of the flippers look normal

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from MSLONEKER:

will do on rubber. i was supposed to clean it last weekend but the wife had me planting fruit trees instead. its been 1/2 year since last wax. does the angle of the flippers look normal

Yeah they look fine to me. How flat is the game? Do you have a quick gameplay video so we can see how floaty yours is playing?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How flat is the game?
    i can shot one. At work now, I'm "essential", that was one of my theories. My pinball leveler app says the game is to steep. The bubble level on the game says not steep enough.

#17 4 years ago

The app you have is only saying that because it’s steeper than the incline you chose to set on the app. That could be 6.0.

Make sure the bubble pitch on the game is close to the top line or a tad past it. But put it right on the top line first and see if that helps.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The app you have is only saying that because it’s steeper than the incline you chose to set on the app. That could be 6.0.
    Make sure the bubble pitch on the game is close to the top line or a tad past it. But put it right on the top line first and see if that helps.

it is set on 6.0 -the app. I'll try the bubble level tonight and spring for some new super rubbers.

#19 4 years ago

btw saw u are from south cinci area. I grew up in Hamilton, north of Cinci. My first stop when i go home is always Skyline.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from MSLONEKER:

btw saw u are from south cinci area. I grew up in Hamilton, north of Cinci. My first stop when i go home is always Skyline.

Good man!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:Make sure the bubble pitch on the game is close to the top line or a tad past it. But put it right on the top line first and see if that helps.

Oh man that did the trick!!!! its like a whole new machine. Now Im getting out of the flippers something i can work with. Valinor here i come. Looks like i owe u some skyline next time im in town. Im still gonna get the superbands though. cheers!!

#22 4 years ago

Awesome! Happy to help and I’ll never turn down skyline. Haha

#23 4 years ago

Good work!
    Heck, whom doens't love Hamilton?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Good work!
    Heck, whom doens't love Hamilton?

as we affectionately called it growing up Hamiltucky.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from MSLONEKER:

as we affectionately called it growing up Hamiltucky.

My Mom taught, and I went to school in the next town over, Ypsilanti Michigan; known as Ypsitucky
    Probably "____tucky" places all over the country!

#26 4 years ago

yeah. all in all though. Kentucky's a pretty state.

#27 4 years ago

Please don't get superbands. They look good but they don't play right. I used to have them on all my games and I eventually took them all off because they just suck.

Also, small world, I used to go to a summer camp in Lake Charles, LA.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Please don't get superbands. They look good but they don't play right. I used to have them on all my games and I eventually took them all off because they just suck.
    Also, small world, I used to go to a summer camp in Lake Charles, LA.

Courious... What don't you like about them? I especially like them on my BSD and BOP 2.0

#29 4 years ago

Less bounce, extremely noticeable slow down on an inlane feed, put insane spin on the ball, and make it way to easy to trap up.

#30 4 years ago

Just save monies and put pine tar on your standard rubbers

#31 4 years ago

Like chuckwurt said, way less bounce. Post passes don't work right. In general, they do make the game easier to play and that's not something I want. I need to be challenged to keep it interesting. As a compromise to looking good but also playing good I have put Perfect Plays sold by PBL on several of my games. The Titans are very similar. But if you really want to make a game tough, just fresh red rubber is the way to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-rubbers-or-to-steep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.