(Topic ID: 32008)

New Rottendog Rectifier board not putting out correct voltages.

By billybob

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rottendog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I just replaced the rec board on a night rider. I had barakandl redo the MPU for me (nice job I think, even added a battery pack). The LED is still stuck so I haven’t been able to try it but the voltages on the Rectifier board are screwy. If I leave J3 unconnected the test points are this.
    Tp1 6.5VDC
    Tp2 188 VDC
    Tp3 12.87 VDC
    Tp4 7.3Vac
    Tp5 46 VDC

When I plug in J3 the voltages change to this:

Tp1 6.5VDC
    Tp2 260 VDC
    Tp3 10.7 VDC
    Tp4 7.3Vac
    Tp5 46 VDC

The voltages on the MPU are
    Tp1 4.2VDC
    Tp2 10.63 VDC
    Tp3 23VDC
    Tp4 6.5mv
    Tp5 4.27 VDC

Any help on where to start?
    thanks

#2 11 years ago

I'd contact Rottendog immediately to see if they can offer help or if you have a defective board to replace it.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I did send an email to Jim to cover my bases. do you think that is the most likely probelem... defective board?

#4 11 years ago

I dont think you really have a problem with the rectifier board seems like it is working fine the 5v for the mpu is not regulated with the rectifier board it appears your problems if any is in the sol control board seems like your 5v regulator is weak and draining power. check to see how hot your heatsink is.
    The HV increasing is prolly due to the capacitor on the sol control board charging or the HV section might be slightly faulty but either way the HV section has a zener diode to limit power to the displays so they should work fine.
    it appears the rottendog board is functioning properly I would say all your problems are in the sol board also check the J3 connector on this board they are very problematic that i change em out if they are working or not all it takes is 1 pin not moking contact on this connector and it can shut down the machine or cause all types of bugs

#5 11 years ago

Can you tell where the heat sink is? the R1 and R2 resisters on the rec board get pretty hot but i dont think you mean those.

I have checked the connectors on the J3 and they are making contact.

Are you saying to check a capacitor on the SOLinoid board? if so which one.

thanks

#6 11 years ago

Jim is great to work with, I got a bad WPC 89 power board and he sent me out a new one asap. Hope it all works out for you.

#7 11 years ago

The resistors get hot on Rectifier board this is normal.
    the board Im talking about is the sol. control board in the backbox (the top right board) besides controlling the solnodes it also has the 5v regulator and the hv regulator for the logic power and the display power as well. the heat sink im talking about is the big one on the right of the board, j3 connector is the top right on the side of the big heatsink.
    Your rectifier board has tested good until you hook up j3 on the rectifier board and this connector powers j3 on the sol. board this connector is typicly troublesome becouse of the power flowing through these undersized pins.
    The rectifier board is not faulty it tests fine until you hook up the Sol. board then you drop under 12v on tp3 that powers the regulator and you point out only 4v is getting to the mpu this is an indication the regulator and circuit is drawing too much power and not putting out the proper voltage you need at least to change the regulator out with a lm323k and change the lv capacitor with a new 15000uf, the cap could be shorted/leaky and drawing extra power as well.

#8 11 years ago

I think i know what your talking about now. Are you talking about the filter capacitor C23? if so i had bought a new 1500uf based on pinrepair but i have yet to put that in. i will try it tonight.

#9 11 years ago

We have chimes!

Thanks Hellfire. Indeed it was the LV camacior r23. Just like it says to do in "repairing Bally electronic pinball games" i had purchased a 15000uf intending to put it in but just never did. Good lesson in following that manual to the tee.

The rottendog works flawlessly, unfortunatley or fortunatley the original rectifier board works also. i had wired it back in to see if the rottendog was the problem. oh well now i have a spare.

thanks everyone.

#10 11 years ago

Great to hear you got it working!

Those filter caps can wear out and in your case was dropping the 12v.

#11 11 years ago

Thansk to you too Barakandl for the board work! you were next on my list.

#12 11 years ago

Glad to hear you got it sorted

2 weeks later
    #13 11 years ago

Call me direct if you have questions on Rottendog Boards! I have no voice mail, so if I don't answer, wait 30 mins and call back.

Jim Knight
    236 677 5300

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-rottendog-rectifier-board-not-putting-out-correct-voltages and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.