• Latest reply 4 years ago by rcb5588
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C079401E-0980-41F6-BDBF-23CEFAD4C8E0 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

So long story short....

A few days ago I installed colorDMDs in 4 machines in my collection. Three of them went great. Installed one in my Rocky and Bullwinkle and upon turning it on, none of the CPU leds light up (however the DMD gets voltage and can go into test, and all of the backbox lights and GI lights work fine).

I have been extremely busy with work this week and haven't had much time to troubleshoot. We're also having a party with friends and family this Saturday, so a combination with being busy and an upcoming party I decided to just buy a new Rottendog power supply to hopefully get it up and running, and deal with fixing the original later.

Well tonight it arrived, and upon installing it all of the test points are fine, expect for the +5 is getting something way higher around like +52.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Ross

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should check?

Power connectors to the board facing the right direction and in the right places ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Power connectors to the board facing the right direction and in the right places ?

Yup, everything is connected properly. So, weird thing, if I disconnect CN5, which sends voltage to the Display Controller board, then the power from CN6 to the CPU will be perfectly fine and the game will play. Reconnecting CN5 will lock up the CPU and cut the power to it. Instructions from the ColorDMD don’t say anything about disconnecting CN5, as the display controller board obviously needs the connection. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

C079401E-0980-41F6-BDBF-23CEFAD4C8E0 (resized).jpegC079401E-0980-41F6-BDBF-23CEFAD4C8E0 (resized).jpeg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Anyone have any ideas?

Contact Randy at Color DMD and see if he's seen it before.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Contact Randy at Color DMD and see if he's seen it before.

Thanks, I actually just sent him an email a few minutes ago. I will update this thread when I hear back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-rottendog-power-supply-getting-52-instead-of-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.