Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200203_194519 (resized).jpg
20200307_165009 (resized).jpg
20200305_195720 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpotsGotcha.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

OK.. so I took on the challenge of getting my Haunted House pinball back up and working. After replacing several boards and seemingly making progress, I got stuck when one up kicker was not functioning, plus a few other items seemed a bit buggy. Called the local pinball expert to get some eyes on it. They thought my old MPU board should be replaced, especially since I had already replaced the power and driver boards. I should note that when doing tests with the old board cycling through 16-20, the tests would work. Solenoids would fire, etc. So you see where I am going. I put in the new MPU board, made sure the switches matched my old board and double checked the game setting switches to make sure it was set for Haunted House. Rewired the A1-J4 to A3-J1 connector and installed. Old board had A1-J4 connection directly soldered. So the game powers up but when doing test 16 (lights) and 17 (solenoids) nothing seems to be happening.

Any direction would be helpful. Attached picture of OLD board before removal and New board after install.

Before I tear out the edge connector I made and rewire it, I thought I would seek guidance from fellow Pinsiders..
20200305_195720 (resized).jpg20200305_195720 (resized).jpg20200307_165009 (resized).jpg20200307_165009 (resized).jpg
20200203_194519 (resized).jpg20200203_194519 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Update. I pulled the A1-J4 to A3-J1 connector I built and tested it with my meter. All connections flowed good.
Pulled ALL edge connectors and reset them.

Feeling like either an edge connector is bad. I even went back and double checked what I wired vs the old harness. The ONLY difference in pinnings is that I added another ground and +5V power connectors which from what I read was a post production patch recommendation.

#3 4 years ago

Another Update. With closer inspection of the Rottendog MPU 80 board, I noticed it does NOT have soldered connection points on both sides of the MPU.
Old board did. Soooo. I think this means that I need to go back and repin the A1 J4 connection moving to the OTHER side of the row. Will update when I am done. Novice crimper so this is gonna take awhile.

#4 4 years ago

OK.. repinned the connector to move wires to same side as board connections. This only applied to middle wires that only occupied one side of the 24 pin row.

But no improvement.

The test is working now as before but test 16 does nothing to rotate through lights and 17 fires nothing. 18 works also and points out three switches that need attention. two lower field targets #2 and #3 drop targets and lower left exit lane switch. So it looks like somethings are communicating but the light and solenoid tests are not responding even though they did with the old controller board.

Could this be a bad Rottendog board? How would I be able to tell?

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

Wanted to update and close this thread since the problem is now solved.
Basically I gave up and replaced the power, controller and driver boards with an all in one PI-80 and everything is up and running now apart from a sound issue that I am chasing down.

Look for old boards, new boards I am not using and other misc gear to be listed on Ebay soon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
3,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gettysburg, PA
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Johnston, IA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpotsGotcha.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-rottendog-mpu80-board-regress?tu=SpotsGotcha and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.