Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DBAEEC4C-C335-4D5A-A3BC-FBD9190E4F69 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230327-062013_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Mustache..gif
    Mustache (resized).jpg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

How do you even get up in the morning?

Sometimes it’s difficult, seeing I’ve been diagnosed with terminal cancer, but you do you.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Very interested to see how they film the pivotal gameplay scene. It has to be dumbed down so the audience understands it's significance. I'm guessing a called sequence of shots by Roger, then a slow-mo of the ball leaving the flipper and moving slowly towards each target (intercut with gasping reactions).

lolwut? Its called "the shot". Not "the PAPA TSPP rules breakdown". All he did was call his plunge or one shot. Its one basically one important shot and an EM game, I don't know how or why you'd need to dumb that down for audiences. "Its a game of skill, not luck. As you can see, I have control of the ball, and now I am going to make the ball go here" *proceeds to make shot he called* HOLY COW THIS IS WAY TOO HARD FOR MY NON PINBALL BRAIN TO GRASP IF ONLY THEY HAD DUMBED THIS HIGH CONCEPT DOWN FOR ME

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

lolwut? Its called "the shot". Not "the PAPA TSPP rules breakdown". All he did was call his plunge or one shot. Its one basically one important shot and an EM game, I don't know how or why you'd need to dumb that down for audiences. "Its a game of skill, not luck. As you can see, I have control of the ball, and now I am going to make the ball go here" *proceeds to make shot he called* HOLY COW THIS IS WAY TOO HARD FOR MY NON PINBALL BRAIN TO GRASP IF ONLY THEY HAD DUMBED THIS HIGH CONCEPT DOWN FOR ME

Sure, people here don't need it dumbed down, but when you are talking about a "general audience", there are still a lot of people that think pinball is just random, like a slot machine or roulette wheel.

#54 1 year ago

I want to watch it for the Mustache footage

Mustache (resized).jpgMustache (resized).jpgMustache..gifMustache..gif
    #55 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Sure, people here don't need it dumbed down, but when you are talking about a "general audience", there are still a lot of people that think pinball is just random, like a slot machine or roulette wheel.

Yeah, I think its pretty easy for anyone to grasp the concept when the whole movie is about people who think its random like a slot machine or roulette wheel, and then one man comes and says "actually its not random, because I am going to make this shot right here", and then he makes the shot he called. Like...its so easy to understand that even the trailer makes it perfectly clear to audiences in 30 seconds. Have you guys forgotten to drink your coffee this morning or something?

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

FYI this not a documentary. Not even close to being one. This is a story about Roger meeting his wife and falling in love with just a little bit of pinball sprinkled in. This is a comedy/drama.
    Also, it is Bank Shot. In fact, it’s my Bank Shot . The scenes with Bank Shot were filmed at the lavish Delaware Pinball Collective.

I don't remember going to Delaware during any of the filming?

All of the machines in the film are 100% accurate to Rogers life and the story timeline.

This is what Roger insisted upon and many of them were hard to acquire.

There are a few exceptions in the very final scene but no spoilers from me.

#57 1 year ago

With which service does one stream this film? Prime, HBO? I don't really do theaters anymore.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

With which service does one stream this film? Prime, HBO? I don't really do theaters anymore.

I was looking for that as well. I only saw that it was coming to select theatres and streaming services but couldn't find any other details.

#59 1 year ago

Roger told me he insisted every machine had to be correct vintage and they worked hard to get the games, and he was pleased they were able to, but I don’t recall from where, but my impression was most if not all of the movie was shot at movie studio in NY.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Roger told me he insisted every machine had to be correct vintage and they worked hard to get the games, and he was pleased they were able to, but I don’t recall from where, but my impression was most if not all of the movie was shot at movie studio in NY.

The movie was filmed in Newburgh (Studio and local locations) and Poughkeepsie NY.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

The movie was filmed in Newburgh (Studio and local locations) and Poughkeepsie NY.

Correct. But the footage of Bank Shot was shot at the Collective with no actors.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Poughkeepsie?!!!
    Is Steve Young in it or a visit to PBR?

#63 1 year ago

A lot of the games in the movie came from Connecticut.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Sometimes it’s difficult, seeing I’ve been diagnosed with terminal cancer, but you do you.

this is the only excuse to be a dickhead.
    carry-on.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Poughkeepsie?!!!
    Is Steve Young in it or a visit to PBR?

No to both questions. However Pinball resource did supply many mechs and used parts for a scene that was never filmed.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Correct. But the footage of Bank Shot was shot at the Collective with no actors.

I don't believe that footage was used in the film.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

I don't believe that footage was used in the film.

Possible I guess. I’ve not seen it yet. I’m just going off what the producer, Meredith, told me in an email last week inviting me to a screening that specifically referred to my machine being in the movie.

3 weeks later
    #69 1 year ago

"Nonetheless, it feels apt that “Pinball” is coming out in the week following the woeful Oscars—it's better than all ten of the Best Picture nominees"

Settle down there guy Cool to see this get a positive review from a big publication though, I'm excited to see it.

#70 1 year ago

The movie producers are interviewed on today’s libertarian “Cato Daily Podcast”.

#71 1 year ago

Just purchased on Amazon, watching now

#72 1 year ago

Watched it today with my wife (who isn't into pinball). We both enjoyed it...really well done.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

FYI this not a documentary. Not even close to being one. This is a story about Roger meeting his wife and falling in love with just a little bit of pinball sprinkled in. This is a comedy/drama.
    Also, it is Bank Shot. In fact, it’s my Bank Shot . The scenes with Bank Shot were filmed at the lavish Delaware Pinball Collective.

Whoa, that's so cool!!

#74 1 year ago

Just finished renting it on Amazon prime, I thought it was really good!

#75 1 year ago

My wife and I watched it on Amazon Prime last night and we both enjoyed it very much. Kind of a combination of (a) a semi-pseudo documentary showing how Sharpe went from discovering pinball to lobbying for its survival and (b) a romantic comedy about his personal life. The part on pinball is done very well with lots of humor and those not familiar with pinball will be able to follow the story. Adding the romantic comedy element was smart as it expands the potential target market. The movie even throws some sarcastic jabs at the narrator for getting sidetracked from pinball by the romance storyline, and yet the movie continues to do more and more to intertwine and overlap the relevance of the two to each other.

#76 1 year ago

Watched it last night. Pretty good movie. My wife doesn’t care about pinball but she enjoyed it.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

this is the only excuse to be a dickhead.
    carry-on.

Please - cut the guy some slack

Do any of us really know how our attitudes and perspectives will change when we are in that final stage?

There really are some things more important than pinball

Peace Out

#78 12 months ago

Watched the movie last night. I thought it was well done and entertaining. I didn't realize it wasn't the real Roger Sharpe who was narrating until I saw the end credits.

#79 12 months ago

We watched it Friday night and wife also thought it was good. Non pinball coworker watched it not knowing about it from me and said it was really good.

#80 12 months ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Watched the movie last night. I thought it was well done and entertaining. I didn't realize it wasn't the real Roger Sharpe who was narrating until I saw the end credits.

The wife and I bought it off of Amazon and watched it last night as well. I knew the "older" Roger was not the real guy, but weirdly I thought it was Mark Maron. The guy was a dead ringer for him I thought, and was close enough to present day Roger to be believable.

Very enjoyable movie, and nice to see something that isn't just an inside the hobby appeal documentary (although I have enjoyed those as well). This seems like something we can recommend to anyone to see, and it was even family friendly to boot!

#81 12 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Putting words in my mouth. Never said that, I just implied that using pinball to make money IS the real paradigm of pinball and so the movie fitting inside of that paradigm did not surprise me, no matter what artistic, historic, or social significance it might otherwise have. An executive producer somewhere bet the farm that for a little money to make a docudrama, they could make back bank selling it to the masses. Capitalism at its finest, shrouded in artistry, and wrapped with historic significance. Sounds truly American.

If the primary goal was to make money, I don’t think they would have made a movie about Roger Sharpe. A guy who 99.9% of people have never heard of.

#82 12 months ago

Watched about 30 minutes of it yesterday morning. It’s a light, airy chick flick. Basically how a single mom with an 11 year old begins dating a guy with a comically bad mustache.

#83 11 months ago

So killer. I loved this movie.

Quoted from viper001:

I knew the "older" Roger was not the real guy, but weirdly I thought it was Mark Maron. The guy was a dead ringer for him I thought, and was close enough to present day Roger to be believable.

THIS! So much.
    I loved this movie. So good!
    Has appeal for nonpinheads too.
    HIGHLY recommended.

#84 11 months ago
    Quoted from crazypinballguy:

Thought I'd share the review I just read.

I hadn’t heard about the film until I read this review (I really like this guy’s perspective in general.)

Watched it last night, enjoyed it. The guy portraying young Roger was pretty great in the West Side Story remake from a couple years back, and I’m curious to see what else he does, he clearly has lots of range. The actor doing modern day Roger was good as well; I was surprised the OG Roger didn’t show up even for a cameo, but that’s fine.

I always thought this story would make for a fun indie movie. I wish there were more films like it. Low stakes, down to earth little stories, seems like there were more of these in the past but maybe it’s just that there were more indie theaters and these sorts of films are missed in the massive sea of Netflix chum nowadays.

Anyhow…it was enjoyable, and honestly I don’t understand the derision on this thread from bros who can’t abide a film that has a romance about a single mom. The screenplay clearly squeezes more drama out of the situation than probably was there IRL, but hey, it’s a movie. Light drama is OK once in a while, and the heavy handed Batman movies will still be there when you need brooding drama and manly violence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#85 11 months ago

finished at just under us$600

Screenshot_20230327-062013_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230327-062013_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #86 11 months ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

finished at just under us$600

Holy crap.
    I pulled my paperback copy off the shelf as the credits rolled last night to show it to my wife, as she was like “calm down!” as I tried to coach her on how to hold it without making any creases in the cover

#87 11 months ago

Watched it at TPF, highly recommended. I bought his book when it was first published, and still have it.

#88 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mthomasslo:

I bought his book when it was first published, and still have it.

still think it's the best pinball book ever

#89 11 months ago

Anyone wanna buy a book?

#90 11 months ago

Showed the movie to my wife last night since we didn't have a TV show to watch with dinner. We didn't finish it, but she did enjoy the documentary style mixed directly into the movie scenes. We both thought that was a good idea executed well.

What didn't work well and was very distracting? That fake mustache. My wife called , "disturbing", "so fake looking", etc.

Movie maker should've taken artistic liberties and made Roger clean shaven or not so ridiculous looking. If the mustache is THAT important to the story, then maybe figure out a better looking one.

#91 11 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Showed the movie to my wife last night since we didn't have a TV show to watch with dinner. We didn't finish it, but she did enjoy the documentary style mixed directly into the movie scenes. We both thought that was a good idea executed well.
    What didn't work well and was very distracting? That fake mustache. My wife called , "disturbing", "so fake looking", "mustache hair doesn't look like fine hair".
    Movie maker should've taken artistic liberties and made Roger clean shaven or not so ridiculous looking. If the mustache is THAT important to the story, then maybe figure out a better looking one.

Have you not actually met Roger's mustache? He is quite the celebrity...

#92 11 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Have you not actually met Roger's mustache? He is quite the celebrity...

With how many times he is interviewed every year and asked the same questions over and over, I'm sure. Has anyone ever asked him, why?

#93 11 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

With how many times he is interviewed every year and asked the same questions over and over, I'm sure. Has anyone ever asked him, why?

Hey...nobody gets to question the stache...it just is.

#94 11 months ago

I’m pretty sure the OG is in the movie. In a reflection on glass at one point.

#95 11 months ago

Submitted without further comment:

DBAEEC4C-C335-4D5A-A3BC-FBD9190E4F69 (resized).jpegDBAEEC4C-C335-4D5A-A3BC-FBD9190E4F69 (resized).jpeg
    #96 11 months ago

Wife and I watched this last night. She's not much into pinball, but we both love niche documentaries. We really liked it! It was clearly made to appeal to non-pinheads, but that's OK. Still fun to see a dramatized version of the famous shot.

#97 11 months ago

Thumbs up for me. Enjoyed it. Steve Young was listed as a consultant. Talked to him electronically and he asked how it was. Told him I liked it and he commented that he has not seen it yet. Damn Steve, stop rebuilding motors for a minute and watch lol!

#98 11 months ago

Saw it last night, thought it had a nice balance between Roger's pinball story and the relationship drama. Usually I'm a grump when it comes to obscuring the subject matter with romantic plotlines (like the one about Stephen Hawking, damn what a mess) but this movie had a nice touch to it -- a few minutes of pinball, a few minutes of relationship drama, and of plenty of moments where the two are combined for good reason. It all flowed together nicely and turned out to be an enjoyable movie with a smart (short) run time. Well done!

During the movie I was wondering if it was Subway that Roger was playing in the adult bookstore in real life, and given the talk in this thread about the accuracy that he and others wanted, I guess it was? An enjoyable detail since that's one of my favorite EMs.

#99 11 months ago

Saw and enjoyed it. I really like the 4th wall stuff!

#100 11 months ago

Very enjoyable movie. Must see!

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-roger-sharpe-pinball-movie/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.