Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DBAEEC4C-C335-4D5A-A3BC-FBD9190E4F69 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230327-062013_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Mustache..gif
    Mustache (resized).jpg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #2 1 year ago

A dream theme for pinheads, wonder how everybody else will see this…

They showed a scene of destroying a pin on the sidewalk - it looked like a Stardust - my first pin. This movie might be too emotional for me

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

A dream theme for pinheads, wonder how everybody else will see this…
    They showed a scene of destroying a pin on the sidewalk - it looked like a Stardust - my first pin. This movie might be too emotional for me

Haha right! Looks like it is hitting theaters, though!

#4 1 year ago

That mustache. WTF is he hiding?

Movie trailer lost me at, "falling in love with a single mother". Ugh

#5 1 year ago

Looks good!

#7 1 year ago

Between that and the movie about air jordon's getting started? Hollywood is out of ideas. Not much material to make a movie about? I would see it but doubt the public would. I don't usually like movies when one of the characters is narrating in person scenes from the past.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I don't usually like movies when one of the characters is narrating in person scenes from the past.

Um, ok, but it's Roger Sharp. Look at that moustache! Don't you want to see it? I can't look away....what's wrong with me?! Am I the only one?!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Gotta bring it up to 2023 expectations

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Where is this in the trailer, I watched it like 4 times???

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Where is this in the trailer, I watched it like 4 times???

Sorry to make you do that. haha

Must've been in a synopsis I read and not the actual trailer. The narrative trying to be pushed is "a love story with a single mother" that just happens to have pinball in the background. To get the ladies to want to watch.

#12 1 year ago

I appreciate the warning should I start receiving excessive unwanted attention in the coming weeks as the movie releases

#13 1 year ago

Worth a watch!

#14 1 year ago

I watched it last year at a local international film festival.
    Very good movie that my wife also very much enjoyed.
    Hope they release it on DVD.

#15 1 year ago

Been around for a while now, nice to see it getting more mainstream exposure finally

#16 1 year ago

Seen it. Great movie. Took the wife and she enjoyed it to. I was expecting a lame indy movie but was very impressed on how well it was shot with a great story.
    2 Thumbs up.
    Looks like wide release March 15th.

#17 1 year ago

Spoiler alert: they aren’t illegal anymore. Sorry to ruin the movie.

Anyway yes I am excited to check it out too.

#18 1 year ago

Well this is going to make getting Rodger's autograph a bit tougher. Anyone got any in's before he becomes a worldwide phenomenon?

#19 1 year ago

Not a fan of $20 movie tickets but looking forward to seeing this.

#20 1 year ago

Waiting to stream it. $20 for a ticket and AMC rolling "priority priced seating" ...nah. I'm good.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Waiting to stream it. $20 for a ticket and AMC rolling "priority priced seating" ...nah. I'm good.

Do you not have other theater chains by you? I got four different smaller chains and independent theaters near me that offer $5-7 seats

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Do you not have other theater chains by you? I got four different smaller chains and independent theaters near me that offer $5-7 seats

Not for those prices I don't.

#23 1 year ago

I'll watch it.

#24 1 year ago

#25 1 year ago

In the pinball hobby we’ll $5k for a topper but there’s no god damn way in hell we’re paying $20 to see a movie about pinball

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Looks okay I'll wait till it's streaming. IMO just looks amateurish. I'd way rather watch a good pinball documentary.

It wasn’t amateurish.
    I was surprised how well done it was.
    Good story with comedy and pinball.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Looks okay I'll wait till it's streaming. IMO just looks amateurish. I'd way rather watch a good pinball documentary.

Doesn’t look amateurish at all to me.

#28 1 year ago

Honestly i think this will be a good one!

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

In the pinball hobby we’ll $5k for a topper

I sure as fuck won't. I'll sell off my collection and sell 2x4's at Home Depot first. Did you mean the Stern Alley sign???

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Spoiler alert: they aren’t illegal anymore. Sorry to ruin the movie.

And prior to his shot in NYC, legal in almost all of the USA.

I hope it concentrates more on his work at Williams. And licensing, like for TAF. He has a rich history in the commercial end that should be showcased.

LTG : )

#31 1 year ago

This looks like……an actual movie?! Wow I look forward to checking it out.

#32 1 year ago

That they have taken one of the quaint, oft told around the fireside chat pinball anecdotes and commercialized it for profit? Seems par for the course. I mean, the entire pinball industry is just “let’s make money” juxtaposed against “let’s play pinball”. So historic significance showcased for profit is a goal to be celebrated? Who knew?

#33 1 year ago

Very interested to see how they film the pivotal gameplay scene. It has to be dumbed down so the audience understands it's significance. I'm guessing a called sequence of shots by Roger, then a slow-mo of the ball leaving the flipper and moving slowly towards each target (intercut with gasping reactions).

#34 1 year ago

The actor playing adult Roger, wasn’t he in Better Call Saul?

#35 1 year ago

Bublehead One could say that about any documentary right? Personally I'd rather hear the story directly from the source/actors in a professionally made doc than a 'fireside chat' aka pinball event youtube in an echo chamber hotel ballroom with crappy audio/video. This was a significant moment in pinball and deserves to be well documented.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

The actor playing adult Roger, wasn’t he in Better Call Saul?

Yes, Dennis Boutsikaris. Was Roger’s first choice to play the older him, directors originally asked Roger to play himself, but he declined.

#37 1 year ago

Is that a Sure Shot he plays at city hall?

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from EMDude:

Bublehead One could say that about any documentary right? Personally I'd rather hear the story directly from the source/actors in a professionally made doc than a 'fireside chat' aka pinball event youtube in an echo chamber hotel ballroom with crappy audio/video. This was a significant moment in pinball and deserves to be well documented.

Been at many of the chats before at expo, and actually have heard the story from Rodger personally, many times. Don’t need a movie.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Been at many of the chats before at expo, and actually have heard the story from Rodger personally, many times. Don’t need a movie.

The movie is so much more than that.
    Check it out when it’s available… I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

#40 1 year ago

Kinda disappointed they didn't use a CGI Rutger Hauer in the role of Rodger, but I'll still go see it.

#41 1 year ago

If he shaves his mustache at the end please don’t tell me. No spoilers.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:That they have taken one of the quaint, oft told around the fireside chat pinball anecdotes and commercialized it for profit? Seems par for the course. I mean, the entire pinball industry is just “let’s make money” juxtaposed against “let’s play pinball”. So historic significance showcased for profit is a goal to be celebrated? Who knew?

I think the world is big enough that both pinball and a movie centered around pinball can coexist.

Also, I hope you're being sarcastic suggesting that the pinball industry shouldn't "make money".

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I mean, the entire pinball industry is just “let’s make money”

Pretty much every industry is about making money.

#44 1 year ago

I want to see it. Is this really going to hit lots of theaters or just a few around the country and go straight to Netflix?

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from mostater:

Also, I hope you're being sarcastic suggesting that the pinball industry shouldn't "make money".

Putting words in my mouth. Never said that, I just implied that using pinball to make money IS the real paradigm of pinball and so the movie fitting inside of that paradigm did not surprise me, no matter what artistic, historic, or social significance it might otherwise have. An executive producer somewhere bet the farm that for a little money to make a docudrama, they could make back bank selling it to the masses. Capitalism at its finest, shrouded in artistry, and wrapped with historic significance. Sounds truly American.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

I want to see it. Is this really going to hit lots of theaters or just a few around the country and go straight to Netflix?

I assume it's going to be a small run, I don't think they've actually said where it'll be showing yet though. Posts on the film's social media make it sound like digital release on the same day (March 17). The distributor that picked it up (Vertical) has done some fairly large releases, but their last movie was AMC theater exclusive... which sucks.

#47 1 year ago

I think it will really help sales for a short time!

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

So historic significance showcased for profit is a goal to be celebrated?

Quoted from Bublehead:

Capitalism at its finest, shrouded in artistry, and wrapped with historic significance.

So no one should make a movie about anything historically significant, ever, because the mere fact that filmmaking is an inherently capitalistic enterprise undermines the subject's significance? How do you even get up in the morning?

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Is that a Sure Shot he plays at city hall?

It ought to be a Bank Shot , and from the bottom of the playfield visible in the trailer, it appears correct.

#50 1 year ago

FYI this not a documentary. Not even close to being one. This is a story about Roger meeting his wife and falling in love with just a little bit of pinball sprinkled in. This is a comedy/drama.

Also, it is Bank Shot. In fact, it’s my Bank Shot . The scenes with Bank Shot were filmed at the lavish Delaware Pinball Collective.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-roger-sharpe-pinball-movie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.