• Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l500.jpg
vsu-2 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

As far as I know, this is the first replacement speech board ever made for the VSU-100.

The VSU-2 recreates functionally of most of the logic ICs and the hard to find speech chip with a microcontroller, and there are a few extra bells and whistles like volume control, led indication, test button, and a serial programming interface.

All 6 games: Flight 2000 Split Second Freefall Lightning Orbitor 1 and Catacomb are built in, along with an experimental Gamatron rom, and extra room to program custom roms via a serial cable.

Mounting holes and pin headers are identical, so it should be a drop in replacement for most people.

The audio output is nearly identical to the original, and does not need as much filtering so it is a little easier to understand.
More images, and an audio comparison is on our website: https://glodstone.com

It's listed in our pinside shop for $125: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1297-glodstone/04572-vsu-2

vsu-2 (resized).jpgvsu-2 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from pure_penalty:

As far as I know, this is the first replacement speech board ever made for the VSU-100.
The VSU-2 recreates functionally of most of the logic ICs and the hard to find speech chip with a microcontroller, and there are a few extra bells and whistles like volume control, led indication, test button, and a serial programming interface.
All 6 games: #flight2000 Split Second Freefall Lightning Orbitor 1 and Catacomb are built in, along with an experimental Gamatron rom, and extra room to program custom roms via a serial cable.
Mounting holes and pin headers are identical, so it should be a drop in replacement for most people.
The audio output is nearly identical to the original, and does not need as much filtering so it is a little easier to understand.
More images, and an audio comparison is on our website: https://glodstone.com
It's listed in our pinside shop for $125: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1297-glodstone/04572-vsu-2
[quoted image]

That’s AWESOME!!!

#3 3 years ago

Very, very cool!

#4 3 years ago

Wow! Amazing!

#5 3 years ago

Very very cool

#6 3 years ago

this is nice. If the trend keeps up, one day we all maybe able to build a new classic Stern with all new parts.

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

nice!

Gotta support these efforts!

need 1, but ordering 2. Thanks for doing this!

2 weeks later
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nice!
Gotta support these efforts!
need 1, but ordering 2. Thanks for doing this!

How is it? What game did you put it in? I've got a FreeFall that has an issue..

2 months later
#9 3 years ago

I would be looking at applying one of these to Gamatron. Does this replace the extra sound board that comes with this conversion kit? Also does this controller only handle speech? Or does it handle all game sounds?

#10 3 years ago

I Noticed on the order page it's asking for a specific pin this will be purchased for. I've got both a F2K and a Freefall to restore at some point. I'm thinking of ordering this board "just in case" and also to have a backup since I have the F2K as well as two Freefalls. Is this a rom based board that is installed or will this one board work with either title out of the box via the dips??

Thanks-

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I Noticed on the order page it's asking for a specific pin this will be purchased for. I've got both a F2K and a Freefall to restore at some point. I'm thinking of ordering this board "just in case" and also to have a backup since I have the F2K as well as two Freefalls. Is this a rom based board that is installed or will this one board work with either title out of the box via the dips??
Thanks-

On their own website order page it doesn't ask that. Says it is useable for any of the VSU-100 Stern games via the dip switches.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

On their own website order page it doesn't ask that. Says it is useable for any of the VSU-100 Stern games via the dip switches.

Great! Thanks for the information.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Thanks-

frenchmarky is correct that all games are supported by default. We only ask for the game you intend to use in the pinside shop because we're interested in knowing!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I would be looking at applying one of these to Gamatron. Does this replace the extra sound board that comes with this conversion kit? Also does this controller only handle speech? Or does it handle all game sounds?

The conversion kit sound/processor board is still used for the regular game sounds, and is essentially identical to the regular SB-300 sound board which was used in F2K and other games of the same era. The VSU-100 still needs to wire into this board to get the speech into the audio output path.

You may have to make a few modifications to get it up and running. This post has some extra details: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-vsu-100#post-5941811

Feel free to PM with questions.

#15 3 years ago

I finally got one ordered! Excited to have this, I’ll crack open gamatron soon and fix all its issues and install this board, love having new tech!

Thank you for making this

2 months later
#16 2 years ago

If you could detail the installation into a Gamatron with some pics, I would greatly appreciate it!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

If you could detail the installation into a Gamatron with some pics, I would greatly appreciate it!

This post has some photos and a general outline of the process: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gamatron-vsu-100#post-5941811
Is there anything in particular you have a question about? Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

1 year later
#18 1 year ago

I am bumping this thread to thank Jarret for his generous donation of a VSU-2 to Project Pinball for our charity auction at Pinball Expo. Thanks again!

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-replacement-for-vsu-100-speech-board?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.