(Topic ID: 144067)

New Release.....MATRIX.....LED system from Comet Pinball!

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    image.jpg
    Firepower-under-cabinet-led.jpg
    CometMatrix.png
    seeitfromspace.jpg
    shadow-purple-small-web.jpg
    Shadow-Apron-and-Post-Lighst-web.jpg
    Shadow-Apron-and-Post-Lighs-3-small-web.jpg
    Shadow-20inch-80-SMD-White-small-web.jpg
    post-light-small-web-a.jpg
    how13.png
    matrix-banner.gif
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago

I have a few of your shorter segments left over. I'd love to see a daisy chain option to permit end-to-end-to-end installations. Would be very convenient.

With this announcement, I'd like to add a 20" strip at the back of my JP, behind the rear banner (had planned to light just the segments behind each of the words). With controlled dimming I'm sure I can get it this just right with a single strip!

When will we be able to see & order from your website? I have a cart full of other LED lamps, holding off pulling the trigger.

Thanks for your innovation!

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I'm trying to order the MATRIX 10 SMD 6.3V Strip in green, but when I select green it comes up on my cart as red. I did try red to see if they were reversed, but no joy.

Ill fix that shortly and post back...sorry

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

I have a few of your shorter segments left over. I'd love to see a daisy chain option to permit end-to-end-to-end installations. Would be very convenient.
    With this announcement, I'd like to add a 20" strip at the back of my JP, behind the rear banner (had planned to light just the segments behind each of the words). With controlled dimming I'm sure I can get it this just right with a single strip!
    When will we be able to see & order from your website? I have a cart full of other LED lamps, holding off pulling the trigger.
    Thanks for your innovation!

I am unsure how I might achieve end to end. If one end is the power end, are you suggesting all strips be made with an attachment on the other end so that you could put 2- 8"together, rather then cutting a 20" down?
    Please share more.

These products are live now and available to order. If you are having a specific issue, please shoot me a PM.

Art

#54 8 years ago

All fixed...thanks for catching that.

#55 8 years ago

Are there recommendations for how many things can be daisy-chained to one lamp socket or is it up to the user to be aware of how much is too much (ie. plugging power strips into power strips). I'd think 250ma would be "safe" if the #44's were typically .25 amp.

#56 8 years ago

Just placed an order for a bunch of stuff. I gotta tell you, I'm seeing my games in a new light (pun) imagining the possibilities of installing multiple combinations of things. To me, the best part is the freedom to experiment without soldering. Way to go Art!

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am unsure how I might achieve end to end. If one end is the power end, are you suggesting all strips be made with an attachment on the other end so that you could put 2- 8"together, rather then cutting a 20" down?
    Please share more.

I had planned to use ~4 3-LED segments end-to-end-to-end at the dark end of my playfield. Having a connector available at the end of string 1 to feed string 2, and so on would be idea. Much like Christmas lights. Now that you have a 20" option, this should suit my needs pretty well, especially dimming if too bright overall.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

These products are live now and available to order. If you are having a specific issue, please shoot me a PM.

I only see the original 3 & 7 LED options on your site, Here: http://www.cometpinball.com/6-3-V-Plug-Play-Strips-Comet-Pinball-p/6.3vsmdstrips.htm. No dimmer. Can you shoot me a link to the 20" & dimmer when you have a moment?

Thanks!

Edit: NM. Found it in your original post: http://www.cometpinball.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1871

Though, not clear how to navigate to that location... Order is on the way!

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

I had planned to use ~4 3-LED segments end-to-end-to-end at the dark end of my playfield. Having a connector available at the end of string 1 to feed string 2, and so on would be idea.

You could hook those up with the splitters, dimmer and extension wires to make it a somewhat straight chain, look at the diagram on Art's site "Hoe does it work?".

http://www.cometpinball.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1871

#59 8 years ago

Ooh, how about a transparent adhesive on the front of the strip (maybe via 2-sided transfer tape?). This could have come in handy when I thought to add a lamp to the under playfiled side of the TRex saucer on my JP - to glow RED when the TRex shot is enabled. I added a socket & red #47 lamp which works OK, but 2 LED segments might have worked there too and maybe a bit ore directly lit and brighter.

Might also work on underside of ramps/plastics...

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

You could hook those up with the splitters, dimmer and extension wires to make it a somewhat straight chain, look at the diagram on Art's site "Hoe does it work?".

Yep, that's exactly what I had planned, except via a soldered splice and my own extension wires... My thought was that 4-pairs of wires at the start of the run might have been bulky vs a more "connectorized" approach.

Edit - The run would not need to originate from a single splice...there could be a single power run, with individual legs added from that for each leg.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Are there recommendations for how many things can be daisy-chained to one lamp socket or is it up to the user to be aware of how much is too much (ie. plugging power strips into power strips). I'd think 250ma would be "safe" if the #44's were typically .25 amp.

Yes, we do share that we recommend only when a game has a full or partial conversion to LEDs.
    We do recommend that from any one bulb, as brightness drops with more stacked on, that 50 diodes per bulb is a good maximum.
    This is the length of a 20" strip...so 5-10 SMD strips, 6 pads, 12 post lights.

Grabbing the same from the next bulb, next line helps spread the power, and keep things bright!

If one overdoes the usage, yes, a fuse will blow.

Based on my best guess, and Im sure things will be learned over time, a strip in the back, 2 Apron lights, drain light, scoop lights, post lights, and a few extra on the playfield, should be fine, perhaps with a slight dimming possible...maybe 5%-8%.

Certainly, each and every game has its own draw possibilities, as well as possible power board part degradation over time.
    But overall, if all bulbs are changed to LEDs, there should be enough to go around.

Can one over chain? Sure? Not sure of the common sense reason to try to do this, but yes.
    I havent found a practical reason that one would need this in a game, but sure, you could put 20 strips in a backbox, and fail....

Art

Quoted from Mudflaps:Just placed an order for a bunch of stuff. I gotta tell you, I'm seeing my games in a new light (pun) imagining the possibilities of installing multiple combinations of things. To me, the best part is the freedom to experiment without soldering. Way to go Art!

Thanks! I appreciate that you see as I, some great opportunities, to simply try!

$25 will light the back of a game and Aprons
    .......a full set of sling post
    .....-a couple scoops, apron, sides, and a mod

Just fun ways, with low cost, to change a look and bring new excitement to your favorite game again!

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

You could hook those up with the splitters, dimmer and extension wires to make it a somewhat straight chain.

CometMatrix.pngCometMatrix.png

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Though, not clear how to navigate to that location.

If you need any help, please send me a PM, but if you bounce around a bit, I am sure it will make sense.

I can appreciate your thoughts on being able to daisy chain, but by having these 4 lengths available,
    Almost any length can be achieved.

While cutting a 20" to 18" or adding two 8" for 16", does show differences, the cost of trying to create a greater
    stock to hold, to save maybe a $1.00 or so as opposed to cutting, doesnt make sense.

There are micro strips, diffused strips, chasing strips, in testing.

On clear tape on the front, I would imagine this exists and you can achieve your goal.
    Just no immediate plans to stock with adhesive on front.

But Please, do keep the ideas coming...it gives me lots of thoughts, and I may change my mind!!!!

#64 8 years ago

Please excuse my multiple postings, I was just trying to edit my first post but I think I've had too many of my avatars.

#65 8 years ago

I can't wait to try this out Art! One of the pinball products I have been more excited about.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I can't wait to try this out Art! One of the pinball products I have been more excited about.

Thanks, and thank you everyone for support.

The best health day in 2 months seeing this released, and having some local pinsiders and more from England in for a visit!

Amazing healing powers from a full day of Pinball! Id prescribe to everyone!

#67 8 years ago

Hmmm I am sure folks with blown chase rope lights on a Hook, or other machine that used them may find these interesting

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks, and thank you everyone for support.
    The best health day in 2 months seeing this released, and having some local pinsiders and more from England in for a visit!

That's great!!!

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I agree! Even if it's just hanging with others in the hobby or fixing things, it helps take the mind off whatever ails you!

#70 8 years ago

I think a coughing fit, shifted a partial plaque blockage in my basilar artery.
    a good 30% change for the good....

#71 8 years ago

hahaha I had one of those today......breathing to much saw dust, sheathing the walls and ceiling on the inside of my garage. 6 more pieces on the ceiling and I'm done in the shop area. Then the main part of the garage. Doing it all myself.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

hahaha I had one of those today......breathing to much saw dust, sheathing the walls and ceiling on the inside of my garage. 6 more pieces on the ceiling and I'm done in the shop area. Then the main part of the garage. Doing it all myself.

You're a machine sir!

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

You're a machine sir!

Now only 3 more smaller pieces on the ceiling and it's finished. The sheetrock lift I bought (I'm using 7/16in. OSB) is worth it's weight in gold, lifting a 50lb, 4x8 sheet 9ft in the air and moving it into position and screwing it up is a blast. I like building with wood.

#74 8 years ago

Show us some pics, Paul!

#75 8 years ago

Love the innovation! Keep up the awesome work and all the best with your health sir!

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Show us some pics, Paul!

Took a bunch but my puter won't recognize my sd cards.

#77 8 years ago

This is a great product for someone like me. I have the desire to add lights, but don't have the soldering skills. My Firepower now has under cabinet lighting.

Firepower-under-cabinet-led.jpgFirepower-under-cabinet-led.jpg

#78 8 years ago

I tried these in Kiss. The light worked, but none of the Matrix accessories worked. Tried every combination... No dice.

I then moved to Elvira and it worked like a boss. Ramps, standups, and scoop can all be seen from space now.

Any idea what's going on with Kiss?

#79 8 years ago

Kiss the New Stern, or the older Kiss?

Are you using a 555 or a 47?

#80 8 years ago

New Stern Kiss, 47

I thought it may be a bum wire or something, but nothing worked. I used the GI lamp behind Gene's head.

#81 8 years ago

I am unsure of the Spike system lighting in the sense of the socket is AC or DC.

If it is DC, which it may very well be a controlled lamp, our listing had the following info:

#44/47 BASE Bulbs May not work in all Games in Controlled DC inserts.
    (working on it)

http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-1-SMD-5050-FLEX-6-3V-QUICK-CONNECT-p/mtx1smdflex.htm

We do have some samples of this, and will be breaking up choices into AC and DC, until AC./DC is the final result.
    I believe this is the issue 95%.

LMK if you have another order, especially with our sale, and Ill send you one on us of the test runs, which has been working on DC 44/47.

In older games, only a few inserts per game are DC and 44/47. SO, we still went ahead and released.

Should someone else have a Kiss, and is placing an order, please add a note, and ill send a complimentary 44/47 to test.
    so we may have a firm answer as it relates to a Spike System.

Art

#82 8 years ago

Thanks Art. I'll probably do a Black Friday order and I'll put a comment in the order.

Everything looks great in Elvira and I'm stoked to do more experimenting.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#83 8 years ago

I appreciate your help, and everyones, as we expect a few bumps, but hope for none.

#84 8 years ago

Art, on the post ring lamps, just a couple more inches of wire please.

Just spent about 2 hours putting in 4 rings on a STTNG. Once you run the leads down an adjacent hole you only have about 1-2 inches to work with. Trying to work with that under the slings, under the cannons, well lets say I had to use hemostats and a lot of swearing to get them installed.

But they do look goooooood. I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm not tired.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Art, on the post ring lamps, just a couple more inches of wire please.
    Just spent about 2 hours putting in 4 rings on a STTNG. Once you run the leads down an adjacent hole you only have about 1-2 inches to work with. Trying to work with that under the slings, under the cannons, well lets say I had to use hemostats and a lot of swearing to get them installed.
    But they do look goooooood. I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm not tired.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    For below field install of post lights, we recommend you add an extension first and feed through the hole.
    When we tested with longer wires, those that wanted to install complained the wires were too long, to tuck under
    plastics.

We felt this the best solution.

Would that have worked for you?

Art

#86 8 years ago

When will you offer star post lights in warm white?

Fantastic product, btw!

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

When will you offer star post lights in warm white?
    Fantastic product, btw!

In the beginning of the year.....

#88 8 years ago

Art, not matrix related question for ya. Are your 2FLUXRGB W slow color change or blinker, nothing in the description says what they do.

#89 8 years ago

Well, Ill get that fixed, thanks for noticing.

They are mult-phase...a slow fade through colors then a fast blinking...and repeats.

Ive used them in backboxes, and playfield more so then inserts.

#90 8 years ago

Thanks Art, I'm gonna try them to light up the clear flipper buttons on my new (to me) Batman Forever.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Would that have worked for you?

I tried that, the hole I was using was too small for the led ring. And where I was splitting between two posts from underneath the lenght of the splitter was too short to reach above and drag back down. What would have helped was maybe some male/female extensions. I'll look to see if you carry those for my next order.

#93 8 years ago

My last order is "out for delivery". Cannot wait to play with these.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

I tried that, the hole I was using was too small for the led ring. And where I was splitting between two posts from underneath the lenght of the splitter was too short to reach above and drag back down. What would have helped was maybe some male/female extensions. I'll look to see if you carry those for my next order.

LMK more as I am trying to visualize this. The hardest part is to figure how every game can be done easily.

In the possible solutions we have a 3" lead. The splitter can go above the play field or below. So 1, 2, or 3 post lights could
    have 1, 2, or 3 wires through a hole, and joined below. or if there is room the splitter above.
    If I am missing something here, or if you wish to PM or phone, Im happy to understand more of what I can do make this easier.
    Im awfully sorry it was a bit hard. Heres the extension link, if you think of something, or anyone, of additions or changes, Im happy to hear. Some can, will, and should be done if it helps, and I have overlooked it.

http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-Wires-p/mtxconnect.htm

Art

#95 8 years ago

Perhaps you have a finished picture to share? Id love to see, and need some more for website....

#96 8 years ago

I lit the proto inserts on my TFTC with the matrix system. Very easy and it looks great!

IMG_2121.JPGIMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPGIMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPGIMG_2112.JPG

I used the two flex bulbs with plugs. Added two 3" extensions, 1 three way splitter, 1 two way splitter and (5) 6 smd panels. 1 for each insert. Took me less then 10 minutes from start to finish.

#97 8 years ago

That looks great! I cant wait for my matrix stuff to arrive.

#98 8 years ago

Way Cool Idea, I know much brighter that is in Person then the photo...but tasteful enough!

Thank you for posting!

#99 8 years ago

this is great! just what I was looking for!

#100 8 years ago

So I'm trying to order a long LED strip but it's not allowing me to add to cart: (green)

http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-20-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/20smd6.3vstrip.htm

EDIT - works now!

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-releasematrixled-system-from-comet-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.