Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Where will it go? ”

• My significant other might actually allow this in the Living Room 7 votes
      26%
    • The Game Room, naturally 17 votes
      63%
    • Hide it at friend's house for now 3 votes
      11%

(27 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

465A7217-65B4-4995-95C6-8C5EBF967B82 (resized).jpeg
    VVysI4jD (resized).png
    Atari-Pong-COCKTAIL-version-1024x683 (resized).jpg
    JtFl9bkW (resized).jpeg
    P6Ho1j8X (resized).jpeg
    pgnyhTpg (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1057 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6236 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_211054098 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_211038435_LL (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_210352347_LL (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_210053822_LL (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_210040444_LL (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_210017502_LL (resized).jpg
    15356601911732925684276380696842 (resized).jpg
    15356601422682222725034150127971 (resized).jpg

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I'm excited to announce the new real-life Pong game is now in full production, with units shipping out and available for purchase! This is a fully-licensed, mechanical version of Pong that is very fun. I'm so enamored with it I joined up with the West Coast distributor to sell them, and I need a new job like a hole in the head. I already have a main business, a hobby business, and a kid on the way. But I couldn't help myself. This game is futuristic and fascinating and I haven't felt this kind of wonderment for a new game in ages. Despite being non-pinball, I'm sure it will appeal to many of you as well.

Rest assured these are not being built by Joe Blow in his basement. The maker is Universal Space, a leading manufacturer of amusement games with over 1000 employees. These will be sold through distributors only.

The cabinet is coffee-table sized, with hinged lids to cover the control panels when not in use and beer seal under the glass. It can go right in front of your couch.

The bats & ball float on magnets, with belts, pulleys and motors underneath the playing surface.

It can be played by 1 or 2 players, with multiple speed and difficulty settings. There are 4 USB ports for charging your devices, and a Bluetooth speaker for playing your favorite music with or without muting the game sounds.

I witnessed firsthand at the CAX show last month that this game is great for the whole family. Kids, spouses, everybody liked it. It's very approachable.

Here are some promo & game play videos:

As soon as our shipment arrives next month we plan to film a longer video highlighting features, settings, game play, etc. There are multiple speed & difficulty settings I am eager to explore. No paid actors, so apologies in advance for our average (at best) looks. It will be myself, a couple local pinheads, and maybe a couple kiddos.

Pricing (updated 9/5/18):

$3499 shipped. MAP pricing in effect. Same price whomever you call.

$300 deposit due now to reserve one of our units arriving next month (we have 40 inbound). Balance due when your game is about to ship. Deposit is refundable if you change your mind.

The matching Atari stools/ottomans in the picture below are optional and $150 each.

For any International orders, the best we can do at this time is ship anywhere in the lower-48 states to your Export Agent. Depending on your location, the distributors in Europe, Asia, or Australia might be a better option.

Warranty:

1 year manufacturer warranty.

Bryce
    925-528-8841

Atari-Pong-Classic-Arcade-Game-rent-San-Francisco (resized).jpgAtari-Pong-Classic-Arcade-Game-rent-San-Francisco (resized).jpg

Pong flyer.pdfPong flyer.pdf

#2 5 years ago

Pretty cool mechanically. I saw these set up at CAX this year with a ton of interest and people playing them.
    The kids couldn’t stop going over back in line.
    Following, Good luck!

#3 5 years ago

I think these are cool, just wish they were cheaper. While it would be a huge hit at parties, it wouldn’t get turned on much outside of that.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I think these are cool, just wish they were cheaper. While it would be a huge hit at parties, it wouldn’t get turned on much outside of that.

I have a Sears Telstra that does the same thing, but shows it on your TV. I'll sell it to you cheap, haven't played it in years. Pong was fantastic in its day. There was nothing else available. Remember how they disappeared when pretty much every other game did something more interesting with the dots?

Bryce, I hope you make a ton of money on these. I'd love to see the market research that suggests anyone is going to play it for more than a few minutes.

#5 5 years ago

I'm a kickstarter backer it looked so cool. The idea that distributors are selling them before the backers get theirs is disappointing at best.

#6 5 years ago

How do we buy the seats and how much ?

I played these at Allentown they are cool.

#7 5 years ago

Ignore my question. I saw answer above.

#8 5 years ago

1. Where is the coin door?
    2. Have they made any changes in design to help reliability? Every show I saw them at, at least one of the two was broken the whole time and being worked on.

#9 5 years ago

I could not play this enough at CAX. It was a huge hit with everyone.

Best of luck...I wish I had the room.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'd love to see the market research that suggests anyone is going to play it for more than a few minutes.

I don't have any pie charts. All I know is some demo units have been making rounds on the show circuit (CES, Allentown, CAX, etc) and they've been very popular. After I played it I showed it to at least 5 or 6 of my pinball buddies to see what they thought and they all loved it and wanted one as well.

Quoted from Outlanes:

I'm a kickstarter backer it looked so cool. The idea that distributors are selling them before the backers get theirs is disappointing at best.

I asked someone at UNIS about that. He told me the inventor who did the Kickstarter had no manufacturing in place at the time and under-priced the game so dramatically he's going to take a huge loss fulfilling those orders. I don't know the finer details, but my best guess is he needs the royalties from some retail sales to fund the difference and ship the KS orders. These are pre-selling very well (2000 units already), so it shouldn't be long before the KS orders ship. I was assured all backers will get their games.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I don't have any pie charts. All I know is some demo units have been making rounds on the show circuit (CES, Allentown, CAX, etc) and they've been very popular. After I played it I showed it to at least 5 or 6 of my pinball buddies to see what they thought and they all loved it and wanted one as well.

I asked someone at UNIS about that. He told me the inventor who did the Kickstarter had no manufacturing in place at the time and under-priced the game so dramatically he's going to take a huge loss fulfilling those orders. I don't know the finer details, but my best guess is he needs the royalties from some retail sales to fund the difference and ship the KS orders. These are pre-selling very well, so it shouldn't be long before the KS orders ship. I was assured all backers will get their games.

That really sucks - at the KS level he may have been able to get volume to cover the margin, but it’s been increased inprice so dramatically it’s pushed into the “ultra-luxury game room” category. But I hope it works out, because this table kicks all kinds of ass! You can’t get how cool it is from the video, you have to play it hands on

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That really sucks - at the KS level he may have been able to get volume to cover the margin, but it’s been increased inprice so dramatically it’s pushed into the “ultra-luxury game room” category. But I hope it works out, because this table kicks all kinds of ass! You can’t get how cool it is from the video, you have to play it hands on

Even with these being made in China, and sold strictly by the container load, they had to be priced at $3000. I know. So, in my opinion those KS backers struck gold. I'm sure the wait sucks, but their patience will be rewarded with a $3000 game for a fraction of the price. The backers are super lucky the guy found a way to actually fulfill their orders.

#13 5 years ago

Even with these being made in China, and sold strictly by the container load, they had to be priced at $3000. I know. So, in my opinion those KS backers struck gold. I'm sure the wait sucks, but their patience will be rewarded with a $3000 game for a fraction of the price. The backers are super lucky the guy found a way to actually fulfill their orders.

WOW. No doubt they did! Doesn’t change how cool that thing is. IMO this is a great example of “video game as art”

#14 5 years ago

I’m in, but pretty much got on the list while at CAX. It is a bit silly, but also too cool.

My only regret is that I’ve got a coffee table prepaid for the new house, that’s gonna have to vacate to make room for pong.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

I’m in, but pretty much got on the list while at CAX. It is a bit silly, but also too cool.
    My only regret is that I’ve got a coffee table prepaid for the new house, that’s gonna have to vacate to make room for pong.

Good decision. Is your Pac-Man cocktail going into the same room? I bet they'd make a nice pair.

#16 5 years ago

I really like the looks of this table, but 3k seems a bit high.

#17 5 years ago

This will make a ton of cash in a high traffic bar or other location. In a home setting i dont know if it will have longevity though long term.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Menator:

I really like the looks of this table, but 3k seems a bit high.

I know it looks simple, but there's a lot going on underneath the surface of this game.

#19 5 years ago

Can you get it with a coin door?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

This will make a ton of cash in a high traffic bar or other location. In a home setting i dont know if it will have longevity though long term.

How will it make cash without a coin door? Modify it like Tim Arnold did with a Bally home model pin using the Japanese coin drop chutes?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

How will it make cash without a coin door? Modify it like Tim Arnold did with a Bally home model pin using the Japanese coin drop chutes?

WTF? There's no coin door? What an epic fail.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

WTF? There's no coin door? What an epic fail.

No fail, at the show I specifically asked the rep about a coin-op version and he mentioned one later this year.

Maybe Bryce can confirm?

#23 5 years ago

My local distributor carries these. And told me a coin operated one is in the works.

#24 5 years ago

Yep. Commercial/Operator version in the pipeline. Estimated Q4. Unsure if I'm allowed to post the preliminary drawings. It's standing height and looks pretty cool. Coin mechs and I think a DBA as well. Cost likely over $4k. Nothing firm yet.

#25 5 years ago

Yep. Commercial/Operator version in the pipeline. Estimated Q4. Unsure if I'm allowed to post the preliminary drawings. It's standing height and looks pretty cool. Coin mechs and I think a DBA as well. Cost likely over $4k. Nothing firm yet.

That's very cool to hear. I got in during the KS and I ordered the coin operated version. Hopefully the version you're talking what is what I'll get.

#26 5 years ago

No offense....But being a Kick-starter on a couple other projects (not this one) I cannot bring myself to be in now knowing the original kick-starters are on the sidelines when they put the cash up for this dream yet Johnny come-now can get it before them? Sorry, that's sum.....ummnn, a lot of BULLSHIT! I would like to think the more garbage like this that happens will end crowd funding, but hey it's still going strong. This is a pyramid scheme (norcal admitted this ) based like other crowd funding campaigns. The sad part is the backers have to hear "well you got in early and now the BOM has changed so we need new money to to get you yours". How bout they "man tha -removed- up" and deliver to those who put their MONEY on the line! Every time I do a KS or the like I know there's a great chance it never gets done but if it does I get rewarded for that RISK, and here w/ Pong (for those ks) not the case..

Being rewarded on other people's money (the now people) is -removed- up....for the record!

Well time and time again this is the result!

Come tha -removed- on people.

Signed....-removed-'d over kick-starter time-n-time again.... full disclosure MY FAULT!

#27 5 years ago
    E7AC2578-FB27-4FC3-9827-4F6B195A77BD.gifE7AC2578-FB27-4FC3-9827-4F6B195A77BD.gif
    #28 5 years ago

I played a couple of games on both units that were at CAX. It reminded me a lot of all the debugging I've had to do on all the 3D printers I've owned over the years (not surprising, as they're both basically Cartesian bots at their cores).

True, it was the end of the night by the time I got to them, but there had definitely been some belt slippage, and the detection was off in one corner (the "ball" would clearly miss the paddle and still bounce back), and it took a LOOONGGGG time for the paddles to reverse direction.

I sure hope this all gets worked out before these go into wide distribution.

Best of luck to you, and also to all the investors!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

No offense....But being a Kick-starter on a couple other projects (not this one) I cannot bring myself to be in now knowing the original kick-starters are on the sidelines when they put the cash up for this dream yet Johnny come-now can get it before them? Sorry, that's sum.....ummnn, a lot of BULLSHIT! I would like to think the more garbage like this that happens will end crowd funding, but hey it's still going strong. This is a pyramid scheme (norcal admitted this ) based like other crowd funding campaigns. The sad part is the backers have to hear "well you got in early and now the BOM has changed so we need new money to to get you yours". How bout they "man tha fuck up" and deliver to those who put their MONEY on the line! Every time I do a KS or the like I know there's a great chance it never gets done but if it does I get rewarded for that RISK, and here w/ Pong (for those ks) not the case..
    Being rewarded on other people's money (the now people) is fucked up....for the record!
    Well time and time again this is the result!
    Come tha fuck on people .
    Signed....fucked over kick-starter time-n-time again.... full disclosure MY FAULT!

This is exactly how I felt about being a pre-order on an Alien LE. Paid in full in advance, but someone with "new money" got my game. There's not a lot of warm and fuzzy precedent for this kind of arrangement.

#30 5 years ago

Wish I got in on the kickstarter for this one, that price wasn't bad! Wanted to get one for our Twitch studio since we stream retro games, would have been a nice fit. Can't swing 3k though, so ended up just getting a table that looks like an old cassette tape. Good fortune for those who got in on the kick starter though, y'all got a great deal.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

This is a pyramid scheme (norcal admitted this )

No. I didn't. Maybe the creator was simply unschooled on manufacturing costs.

All Pong discussion welcome here, but let's try to keep any bashing/trolling to a minimum. Thanks.

#32 5 years ago

Very cool! I hope they make the coin op version, I want to play on location and I think this would rake in very good money in a barcade assuming that it doesn't break down too frequently.

#33 5 years ago

This is awesome and was so fun to play I would totally buy one but will have to hold out for the visceral live game of Galaga!

pixels-dom-DC_0100_comp_v022128_1079_rgb-560x238 (resized).jpgpixels-dom-DC_0100_comp_v022128_1079_rgb-560x238 (resized).jpg
    #34 5 years ago

My main hesitation to getting one of these is concerns about reliability and customer support. It concerned me at TPF that one unit broke and the on-site techs were unable to fix it.

Can you give any insight on how the production models have been optimized with regard to reliability?

Also, at TPF the playfield appeared severely scratched. How has this issue been addressed?

#35 5 years ago

Also, can we get an owner’s thread started by someone who has ordered one?

#36 5 years ago

I played this at Allentown and it was a lot of fun and really cool, but for $3,000, I'm out. I just can't see myself getting $3,000 of fun out of it.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

My main hesitation to getting one of these is concerns about reliability and customer support. It concerned me at TPF that one unit broke and the on-site techs were unable to fix it.
    Can you give any insight on how the production models have been optimized with regard to reliability?
    Also, at TPF the playfield appeared severely scratched. How has this issue been addressed?

Good questions. Here's the response from UNIS:

"At TPF, the unit presented was using a PVC surface and was a prototype. Factory used it to promote earlier shows.
    The current shipment unit is using a glass surface with material similar to Phone screens.
    The glass would not scratched and can be cleaned / maintained similar to mobile screens if needed."

I presently don't have specifics on what other optimizations have been made. I just know per UNIS the units shipping are "production ready" and the prototypes were not.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I played this at Allentown and it was a lot of fun and really cool, but for $3,000, I'm out. I just can't see myself getting $3,000 of fun out of it.

I'm in the same boat. I think this machine looks awesome, but I'd hate to take any more precious real-estate away from future pinball purchases, plus, I think this game would be primarily utilized in a party setting. (so for me, sadly, not much....) I do think this could be a blast to play every now & then at a 'Dave & Busters' or other branded fun center or local barcade. It's just a little bit too pricey IMO for the volume of use it would get in my home. (but looks to be great on location) Looking forward to trying one!

#39 5 years ago

Thanks for the response. Another question and a request.

Is there ability to update firmware?

A feature I would like added(if it is not already) would be an attract mode with lighting effects and occasional gameplay. I think this machine will have legs in a game room as an animated PONG display, but it needs to do something.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I am very, very interested in this thing. I have found that true 'head-to-head' games are always a hit with people, especially ones where not a lot of skill, rule knowledge, and strategy is needed to play a game (e.g., air hockey, shuffleboard, Genco 2-player Bball). If I thought these were bullet-proof, I'd be in line now. However, my gut tells me this is one of those things where you are better off waiting on the gen II version to be released.

#41 5 years ago

Update on the Kickstarter situation:

The creators of the KS have posted that they intend to ship the first batch of KS units next month, with continued shipments thru Oct/Nov/Dec, with the goal of delivering all units by the end of the year.

Us distributors for the retail units have no part in the Kickstarter, but I'm glad the backers will finally be getting their games.

#42 5 years ago

Like someone mentioned, it’s just a novel application for a standard 2-axis plotter. Looks like beefy enough stepper motors and standard controllers, all nicely assembled. I can’t truly judge the quality of the mechanical assemblies from the video, but what I can make out looks robust. I think it could work well and last a very long time assuming ongoing attention is given to lubing the tracks and keeping the belts properly adjusted.

Also, Automated’s web site indicates they are currently in stock.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I looked at the same way. Unill I priced really cool and unique coffee tables. And this one plays a mechanical version of pong. So I'm almost sold. Only a little bit more than some.

#44 5 years ago

Is your Pac-Man cocktail going into the same room? I bet they'd make a nice pair.

She's gonna cram the cocktail into her office.

I'm gonna cram Pong into the loft. Now I'm gonna have one "coffee table" too many.. but such is life.

#45 5 years ago

Congratulations Bryce!
    Its Sunday, last day of CAX and I pull into a bagel shop with Family.
    I sit down with Bryce and we talk pinball and Pong for an hour. What a great game!
    You won't find a better distributor in Calif and have comfort that he will take care of all customers.
    Both machines at CAX played flawlessly all weekend and one table had the film removed so you could play and watch the mechanics during play.
    Bryce, the great thing about the Pong table is that you can use it as a changing table for new baby!
    Pics of my boy loving pong and enjoying cax.

20180729_173909 (resized).jpg20180729_173909 (resized).jpg20180729_173918 (resized).jpg20180729_173918 (resized).jpg20180729_173924 (resized).jpg20180729_173924 (resized).jpg

#46 5 years ago

Thanks, Eric! It was nice hanging out with you and your wife. I'll see if any spare parts are included.

Keep the questions coming, guys. I am in touch with UNIS and should be able to get the answers. As I get more details I will share them here.

My aim is for this to be the go-to thread for information on this exciting new game.

#47 5 years ago

Just picked one up today! Gotta get some friends to help move it in the house.

15356601422682222725034150127971 (resized).jpg15356601422682222725034150127971 (resized).jpg15356601911732925684276380696842 (resized).jpg15356601911732925684276380696842 (resized).jpg
    #48 5 years ago

Great! Would appreciate a good extended review. Hope to receive mine next week! Enjoyy

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinPeet:

Great! Would appreciate a good extended review. Hope to receive mine next week! Enjoyy

Yes please give us a review including description of any attract mode.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Just picked one up today! Gotta get some friends to help move it in the house.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

If by friends you mean strangers I can be there in 20 minutes

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-real-life-atari-pong-game-now-for-sale-1?hl=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.