24_(resized).jpg
image1_(resized).JPG
34_(resized).jpg
33_(resized).jpg
32_(resized).jpg
31_(resized).jpg
23_(resized).jpg
22_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wharhed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I didn't really find any info about these LED displays on Pinside or the Zaccaria-Pinball.com site, so I figured I'd post up my experience and results.

I recently purchased a Magic Castle on a container buy, knowing that it was going to need two displays and a backglass. I figured that would be easy enough - Was I never more wrong. I tried to keep any eye out for a backglass and displays for a while, and nothing seemed to be available. Fortunately, I found Gianfri and his new LED displays for Gen 2 Zaccaria pins (Gen 1 kits are also available).

When I initially requested info from him, and he was extremely responsive and provided me with technical details on modifying my existing hardware to run his DYI LED display kit (29€ each). He also has a deluxe version (49€ each) that is a complete drop in replacement. Since I didn't mind doing the work myself, and had working display drivers, I opted for the DIY kit. Shipping was 25€ to Puyallup, WA USA. Made the purchase two weeks ago, and received my order last Friday.

I took a few pictures of what I received, me modding my display drivers and one with them running in Magic Castle. The mod does require that you remove / replacing several resistors, cut a few traces, run two jumpers and replace IC2. I did most of the work Sunday night, and finished up this evening. I'd say it was about 2 hours total work. While they visually look comparable to the originals, they're a little different and I think I'll replace the rest as well so that they match 100%.

Here's a link to one of their demo videos -

Gianfri asked that any product /sales inquires go to: [email protected]

18_(resized).jpg18_(resized).jpg
19_(resized).jpg19_(resized).jpg
20_(resized).jpg20_(resized).jpg
21_(resized).jpg21_(resized).jpg
22_(resized).jpg22_(resized).jpg
23_(resized).jpg23_(resized).jpg
24_(resized).jpg24_(resized).jpg
25_(resized).jpg25_(resized).jpg
26_(resized).jpg26_(resized).jpg
30_(resized).jpg30_(resized).jpg
31_(resized).jpg31_(resized).jpg
32_(resized).jpg32_(resized).jpg
33_(resized).jpg33_(resized).jpg
34_(resized).jpg34_(resized).jpg
image1_(resized).JPGimage1_(resized).JPG

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Those look great! Brighter and a little shorter than the original displays, I agree and swapping them all over to look the same. Thanks for documenting!

They are a little brighter, but Gianfri said I could swap one of the 100 ohm resistors out for an 150 ohm resistor to get it closer to the originals.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Gianfri is local to me (well, local, same country..) but I've dealt with him before as he repaired some Zaccaria boards for me.
He can be trusted and has good knowledge of Zac boards..

Yeah, he's been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He also shipped my order out the next day and immediately provided a tracking number. I was impressed with his excellent customer service.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

those are a great option, but I have so many zacs, I think i'll just wait until xpin comes out with some. Plus I can get different colors then.

I wasn't aware that xpin had a product in the works. Honestly, you should email Gianfri. I'm going to guess he could probably do a custom color for you if you needed it. Also, they have a full, ready to drop in kit like xpin would offer. The full drop in kit has a lot more functionality and uses modern components.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

BGresto.com has magic castle back glass available if you still need that.

I found Steve a little bit ago and he's working on it as we speak . With any luck, I'll have it sometime next week.

4 months later
#20 7 years ago

Yeah, they look really nice all together. Definitely an excellent mod for the money!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wharhed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-zaccaria-led-displays?tu=wharhed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.