Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rkahr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1975 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 10.54.46 PM (resized).png
    New (resized).png
    leftAngle (resized).JPG
    RightAngle (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Hi Pinside!

Here is a bracket I created to help hold six-digit display glasses in place on Williams system 3 through 6 machines. In these machines display glasses are mounted to circuit boards with a double-back sticky foam tape product. The circuit board assembly is then mounted vertically in the backbox, held in place by threaded studs on the lightboard. When the double-backed tape fails, only the glass’s soldered pins hold the display glass. This leads to failure of the display (i.e, solder cracking or breaking the leads) over time from the vibrations during game play.

This bracket installs directly over the display glass and is held in place by the nuts that attach to the lightboard studs. It will hold the display glass in place when or if the sticky foam fails, reducing the mechanical stresses on the display glass's solder leads.

Video showing the bracket is here:

I have two pinballs from this era of Williams machines - a Firepower and a Flash. Each had one display glass with failing double-back foam. The one in my Firepower you could see the score glass wiggle when you bumped the machine. I developed this bracket to secure those display glasses. I'm happy with the result so I've added the bracket to the reaming slave displays to protect against any future failures. And now I'm offering them to the community.

Note this bracket only fits the slave display boards; it does NOT fit the master display board.

Here are a couple of pictures:

www.kahr.us - display off

www.kahr.us - display on

Bracket is in the "Additive Manufacture" section of my website.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets, the Pinball Pyramid, or Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions.

#2 3 years ago

I like it.!

#3 3 years ago

Great idea !

#4 3 years ago

Nice idea.

Even if I replace the double-sided foam tape, the new tape isn't always a permanent solution--it sometimes releases after a relatively short period of time on a small percentage of displays I work on.

Out of curiosity, is that bracket metal or plastic?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nice idea.
    Even if I replace the double-sided foam tape, the new tape isn't always a permanent solution--it sometimes releases after a relatively short period of time on a small percentage of displays I work on.
    Out of curiosity, is that bracket metal or plastic?

Thanks - I'm glad you guys like it! The bracket is plastic. It is what they call "Strong and Flexible Plastic" on Shapeways. It's a very nice material that they describe in this video:

Their video offers a few nice glimpses into the quality of their additive manufacture process - the results are really impressive.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets, the Pinball Pyramid, or Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions.

#6 3 years ago

Guess I should have mentioned - they are $11.50. I really got fancy and added a "new product" logo to help folks find them.

New Product icon used on my website

-Rob
    -new at http://www.kahr.us - Williams System 3-6 Display Glass Bracket

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Guess I should have mentioned - they are $11.50.

Also should mention price is for each or for a set?

#8 3 years ago

Hot glue gun shot behind the master display glass will hold it in place.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Also should mention price is for each or for a set?

Good question. With this bracket cost is driven by the machine volume charge much more than by the material volume charge, so a multi-pack requires geometrically packing multiple copies into as tight of a volume as possible. After you asked I examined about a dozen layouts but haven't landed on a solution for four brackets that is less expensive than just buying four of the singles. I did, however discover a two-bracket solution that is about a dollar less expensive to fabricate than two singles, so I'm going to order that, inspect quality, and if successful will offer that as an option as well. I'll keep the thread informed of progress.

-Rob

1 week later
    #10 3 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

After you asked I examined about a dozen layouts but haven't landed on a solution for four brackets that is less expensive than just buying four of the singles.

Quick update - I found a solution that puts 4 in a single part and is advantageous price-wise compared to ordering four individually. Prototype is in transit; once I get it and confirm it's right I'll post another update. Here's a screenshot of the layout - red/green/blue/yellow are the four brackets; the gray connector pieces will need snipped off.

Williams Display Bracket 4-pack

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets, the Pinball Pyramid, or Williams 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#11 3 years ago

These games have 5 displays though.

#12 3 years ago

These games have 5 displays though.

Right - it doesn't fit the master display board... they have different screw hole layout.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets, the Pinball Pyramid, or Williams 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Right - it doesn't fit the master display board... they have different screw hole layout

Do you think you can get one made for it too? I see just as many master displays flopping around as any other displays in the games.

#14 3 years ago

Do you think you can get one made for it too? I see just as many master displays flopping around as any other displays in the games.

Yes. There are screw mounts above and below the master display glasses that I've taken measurements for but haven't completed the design. These are my two spare MDB... one works; the other doesn't display anything - seems to be missing a part! But you can see the mounting holes above and below the display glass.

IMG_1975 (resized).JPG

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside