(Topic ID: 113581)

NEW PRODUCT, Dracula plastic protectors (BSD)

By indypinhead

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 days ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0278.JPG
DSC_0277.JPG
DSC_0276.JPG
DSC_0275.JPG
DSC_0272.JPG
DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0270.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider indypinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm proud to announce my latest creation:

Playfield plastic protectors for Dracula.

This is a 6 piece set made from 1/16 polycarbonate, not PETG.

A lot of work went into designing these. The offset edges of the protectors evenly follow the contours of the playfield plastics. They fit like a glove.

Since these are made on a cnc machining center, the edges have a smooth, machined edge to them. This allows the edges of the protectors to give off a very slight glow. The edges don't have that clear, flame-polished look.

This set is available for $46/shipped, continental US.

I've done my best to keep the cost reasonable. Fixtures had to be created for each plastic set I make. The cost of the material is much higher than the cost of PETG, and much more durable.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Here is a link to more pictures:

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/indypinhead/library/Protectors

DSC_0270.JPGDSC_0270.JPG
DSC_0271.JPGDSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0272.JPGDSC_0272.JPG
DSC_0275.JPGDSC_0275.JPG
DSC_0276.JPGDSC_0276.JPG
DSC_0277.JPGDSC_0277.JPG
DSC_0278.JPGDSC_0278.JPG

#2 9 years ago

another bump for the night crowd.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I look forward to more titles...

They are in the works.

These really look nice.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Cash sent...and a free bump.

shipped

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Very nice! I bought a set and they are not evenly proportioned all the way around for the slings. Kind of ruins the looks of them.

That's exactly what drove me to design my own.

I bought a few sets in the past...I was never happy w/ them.

I was really hoping there'd be more interest in the protectors sets I have for sale.

I'm out a LOT of money and was hoping people would consider these.

These are probably the best looking protectors you can buy...(not bragging)....

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sux I already have others or id be in

I didn't know that others made protectors for Dracula.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Why polycarbonate instead of PETG? Does it bend as easily as PETG or is it rigid? How is it more durable? I thought this stuff broke at some point, where PETG just really bends for the most part, though I have seen some people report crack. I have no idea really though, looking forward to your answers.

For starters, I don't have a laser cutter. I'm having to machine these on a cnc machining center.
PETG has 70% the strength of polycarbonate. I've been designing/machining these protectors for the machines in my collection for about 6 years now. I've designed protectors for 25 machines and counting. I've never been happy with the geometry of the protectors I've bought in the past. I know I can do better. Even though my machining methods can't hold a candle to the speed/ease of laser cutting, I think my protectors are superior to others.

The money I'll be making from these are going back into the pinball community. I'm just doing this on a limited basis in hopes of partially funding some pinball projects I have.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

When you say it's stronger, is that in the sense of breaking, or just bending at all? I recall hearing that polycarbonate was more brittle,

There's been a few discussions on polycarbonate vs. PETG

Here's one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remaking-playfield-plastics-petg-vs-acrylic-vs-polycarbonatelexan

Quoted from Atomicboy:

What other sets do you have available, and what are you intending on making?

I haven't decided just yet. Honestly, I'd have to see how these first sets sell before doing others right now. I have a ton of money already wrapped up in these few few sets.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Do you keep a certain wider outline to each (where possible, as sometimes you can't) or are they all the exact same size as the original PF piece? I prefer the wider outline myself.

I offset the edges .100"

1 month later
#26 9 years ago

An updated, (corrected) version of the center spot target protector has been shipped to all of those people who previously purchased the BSD protector set.

1 year later
#29 8 years ago

Just thought I'd bump my old post.

2 years later
#32 5 years ago
Quoted from bartron:

are these still available ??

Yes, I have them ready to ship.

#33 5 years ago

I make protectors for:
Diner
BadCats
Congo
TSPP
Fishtales
BSD
WOZ
WPT
DH

I have the files for several others. Just haven't had time to work on pinball stuff lately.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider indypinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-dracula-plastic-protectors?tu=indypinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.