4 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
20220601_175412 (resized).jpg
20220601_175349 (resized).jpg
A8BD4F72-00A6-4E3B-BD7F-5FA8B8FAA12D (resized).jpeg
IMG_2174 (resized).JPG
IMG_2171 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Rubber kits are really easy to make from the manuals btw. Grab them from ipdb and make kits. It'll be awesome for your sales

I have to disagree. From my experience the manuals are a bad source of accurate information. For example, many list slingshot rings as having 2" rubbers. That's just crazy tight, and they won't last long. I have always used 2-1/2" rings and had a good fit with no splitting issues. Also, I have noticed that posts and ring configurations change between the time a manual was printed and the final playfield build.

I have a question regarding price. I think the flipper rings, at least on the surface, offer a better value than Super Bands strictly on price (and like you said, similar material properties). However, looking at your original rings vs. these new competition ones... what all has changed to explain the price gap? IE, 2-1/2" rings being $0.56, and the competition ones being almost a dollar more. I understand it's a new product of course, but if I'm going to convert all the route games we run to these Titan rings what would be the big benefit of added cost reliability wise? I'm not trying to nitpick, but a ~3x price increase is pretty significant when buying lots of these things for a route setting.

I was going to hold out for the Super Bands full ring sets but looking at your attractive prices I just have a feeling they are going to be much more expensive.

#73 9 years ago

OH.. Nevermind then. I missed the part about them being made from actual shore A45 rubber. And now that you mention it I think he said something about the real silicone ones being "on hold" several months ago (which are what this newest thread is announcing). I think what happened was Art mistakenly referred to them as silicone rings in his thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/really-specialsilicone-ringsall-colorsnew-to-marketmust-see

Yeah I would really like to see how the new competition rings fare in an expo setting.

#80 9 years ago

Put in an order this morning. I'm hearing nothing but good things so far and am replacing some rubbers anyway so why not? Thanks for helping to push innovation forward! By the way is there a confirmation that the discount code went through? I typed it in and clicked "update cart" and did see "you saved ~$1.75" on my ~$45 order. Should have been $4.50, did it mean the bulk discount on my LEDs? Just never saw a confirmation message on the discount code.

#82 9 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. I probably just misread it. Tiny iPhone screens can be annoying.

#88 9 years ago

Keep us posted!

#90 9 years ago

You can always do this for speedy and professional results!

#100 9 years ago

Dang my order shipped immediately and is slated to arrive tomorrow!

#102 9 years ago

I got a tracking number in the confirmation email.

#109 9 years ago

There is a ring on Frankenstein that gets a lot of abrasion at the ice cave post where the ball comes fast out of the bumpers. I was replacing some lamps and happened to notice it. Glad I did as this will be a good durability test area for the silicone rings.

I'm also contemplating replacing slingshots on one or two games with a Competition ring on one side and a standard Pinball Life rubber on the other. Then I will compare them after a few months, replace the rubber ring, and then compare the old silicone to the new one.

#113 9 years ago

Old rubber.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-610.jpgimage-610.jpg
#114 9 years ago

Well crap, package was delayed by the weather... no notice from tracking of course. Was looking forward to trying them.

#133 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#144 9 years ago

Ok, we have 2 Addams Family's on location. And as you know they get played by the public more than any other game. So I swapped the left slingshot with a Competition ring and the right one with new rubber. The first game is at our main location (a laundromat) and it will get much more play than the one at the other location. I plan on doing the second one soon.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-115.jpgimage-115.jpg

#148 9 years ago

I also vote for mini flipper and 3-1/2" rings.

#150 9 years ago

Installed a few in Addams #2. Want to see how they hold up before I do some more. I love how glossy and bright they are!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#160 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

That flipper rubber has seen better days.

Yep getting swapped for sure. Which is another reason to love silicone/polyurethane rings!

#162 9 years ago

Working for me.

#189 9 years ago

#197 9 years ago

Pink, really?

#209 9 years ago

I agree with dark pink as well.

#215 9 years ago

Just ordered a bunch more for an upcoming White Water project, which I did for a reason because long-lasting rings on one of the most difficult games to shop is extremely appealing. With any luck we should never have a use for traditional rubbers again!

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

JP ended up with 586 total plays over the weekend at the Louisville Arcade Expo. The Titan Competion Silicone Rings are still in-tact. I just got the game set back up at home and don't have the energy for a close inspection at this time, but will post back with pics when I get back to it.

Any pics so far?

#235 9 years ago

I used the promo code successfully yesterday. Are you entering the code and clicking "update cart?" It should show a discount value at the bottom.

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Ok, we have 2 Addams Family's on location. And as you know they get played by the public more than any other game. So I swapped the left slingshot with a Competition ring and the right one with new rubber. The first game is at our main location (a laundromat) and it will get much more play than the one at the other location. I plan on doing the second one soon.

Just 5 days later, the rubber ring is already showing more dirt than the Competition ring. And don't forget that rubber also absorbs this dirt, which requires the use of a cleaner and contributes to wear. The silicone ring wipes clean with your finger.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

#252 9 years ago

Any chance of seeing conical posts anytime soon?

#258 9 years ago

Yes those are the ones.

#268 9 years ago

Anyone else have durability/cleanliness reports?

#277 9 years ago

I also agree with those two colors. They look great, but if you asked me personally I would say 7045. 9006 looks a tad too light.

#290 9 years ago

Normal rubber rings tend to do that too. Check the picture of the old rings I removed a couple of pages back.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings/page/3#post-2299233

#292 9 years ago

Awesome observation. Great to know it's not wear, but normal compression.

#296 9 years ago

The only other thing I can think to point out about the slings is that I'm a half inch under what's called for. That means they're pulled slightly tighter than they might be otherwise. That may contribute some to the tendency to dent, but I have no way to know for sure.

Is 2-1/2 considered too small? I see the numbers in your photo say 2-1/2.

#332 8 years ago

He's about 4 weeks away (at least) from acquiring the molds and doing his first run of mini flippers along with Data East/Sega/Stern mini post sleeves and 3-1/2" rings.

#356 8 years ago

Lol I was about to ask you where the band was. Looks like it blends in pretty well with the bat.

#365 8 years ago

I have more to report in favor of the Titan rings. I installed a single ring on the left slingshot of a moderately to heavily played location Addams Family. I have a standard rubber ring ordered from Pinball Life on the right (no jab at PBL as they all come from the same source, just for reference). Both rings had become noticeably dirty during that 3 weeks time so I cleaned them up this morning. As you can see the Titan ring definitely shows less dirt. One dab of Novus 1 fully cleaned up the Titan ring, while 3 dabs of Pinball Life PinGuard rubber cleaner got the rubber ring as clean as I could possibly get it. As expected, the rubber is already absorbing dirt and slightly discoloring even after using 3 times as much cleaner, and not to mention a proper rubber cleaner vs. Novus 1.

Something else I had noticed lately but forgot to mention. Often when cleaning rubbers the lint from the cloth will stick to the ring, which is highly annoying. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the Titan silicone rings. As far as the compression issue, I actually got the opposite results. There may be a very very SLIGHT indention in the silicone ring from the kicker arm, but it's very hard to notice up close. The rubber ring has a noticeable groove from the kicker arm. So I see no concerns in my particular case with potential wear from the arm.

At the moment, both rings show no evidence of normal wear around the post bends.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-834.jpgimage-834.jpg
image-865.jpgimage-865.jpg
image-180.jpgimage-180.jpg
image-895.jpgimage-895.jpg
image-637.jpgimage-637.jpg
image-458.jpgimage-458.jpg
image-1289.jpgimage-1289.jpg
image-316.jpgimage-316.jpg
image-754.jpgimage-754.jpg
image-719.jpgimage-719.jpg

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Thanks for the offer, that's not necessary as it was my fault (I wasn't paying attention to know that there was more than one type).

Shame to let those go to waste. Can I have them? I kid, I kid...

#377 8 years ago

Put all the silicone rings on my White Water project. I really love how easily the post rings go on vs. the original rubbers. I almost killed my fingers installing those freaking rubber post rings on past games. These are clearly more flexible. I also really like the fact that they don't get dirty when installing them!! Oh man, that used to drive me crazy. If you had ANY kind of dirt or dust on your fingers it will show up on the rubber rings like mud on a pig. I had to clean the brand new rings because of this before even the first play!

#399 8 years ago

Yep I think those are in the works. It was mentioned before.

1 week later
#419 8 years ago

Conical tapered posts going to be available soon?

1 week later
#424 8 years ago

I may have missed this but are the yellow post sleeves in the plans?

#427 8 years ago

Not the tapered ones, the other yellow sleeves that are used in games like The Addams Family and other Data East games.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6552

They are slightly shorter and fatter than normal 1-1/16" standard post sleeves. I think the posts that use these are short as well otherwise I don't see why we can't use yellow 1-1/16" posts.

#437 8 years ago

They are in this current set of molds.

#455 8 years ago

I hate regular rubbers... after only 2 months this happens on both slings on Baywatch. It also looks like someone puked all over it too.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#458 8 years ago

No it's rubber. Hence "I hate rubbers."

#461 8 years ago

Titan rings aren't rubber technically but ok. Figured it wouldn't be confusing. But my point is that breakdown is another major drawback of regular rubber.

#465 8 years ago

Re-ring sounds better.

#468 8 years ago

What amazes me is that we are just now, in 2015, getting a mass produced, widely accepted, and modern innovative replacement for regular rubbers which have been around for decades. And who was it to usher in these new rings? Marco? Nope. Pinball Life? Nope. Super Bands? Where are those again? It's of all people, a small husband and wife home-based business. And they are mopping the floor with the competition. I love it.

#471 8 years ago

I also love their frosted LEDs. The shape is very close to incandescent.

#481 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I put all new white rubbers on my LWJP, the night before going to MGC. After mgc the white was dirty!! and pretty beat... I need to try these! Been meaning to

Pictures for reference? Do you have a log of how many games it had on it?

2 weeks later
#502 8 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

I have been told the shipping fiasco had been resolved and they should ship back out in the next couple of days. I have my fingers crossed for late next week
I'm terribly sorry for the delays. I hate this as much as anyone.

Are the mini flipper rings included in this batch by chance?

#506 8 years ago

Are those used on ramp drops?

#510 8 years ago

A regular rubber ring on Dracula after a year and a half. I had to wipe the area down with Novus just to clean up all the dusty mess it left behind. Seriously, after looking at the one I put on that Addams Family for comparison I KNOW they did not look that bad after just two weeks. Same with the slingshots on Baywatch after two months. I have noticed a considerable drop in quality in these rings in the last year or so. Who else has?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#514 8 years ago

Correct, and the silicone ones haven't been out a year yet.

#520 8 years ago

Yes it should be. Standard mini flipper.

#524 8 years ago

Patience Hilton...

#535 8 years ago

Ready to place an order as soon as your website gets updated. Prepare your wallet for the flood of money coming your way from us.

#540 8 years ago

They're on the site but it says sold out. Dang you guys are quick!

#543 8 years ago

Great! Just placed my order. A couple of things I noticed: the image for the 1/2" post rubbers are the flipper rings, and the mini flipper rings were not discounted using the coupon code. If it's because they are new I understand, but you also said you were having some problems with the site so I'm not sure.

#561 8 years ago

I believe the bulk option is on the way.

#566 8 years ago

I think what people are talking about is an option to build you own kit without having to add each type of ring to the cart manually. So basically you would put together a list of rings and colors you want then have an option similar to "add kit to cart."

#590 8 years ago

I installed them on early 80s Bally flippers and they were a little tight going on. These fatter bats use the same size as standard flippers correct?

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that was my first thought. Lighted flipper bat and use UV bulbs in it. Maybe the lighted starposts mod also?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#610 8 years ago
image.jpgimage.jpg
#612 8 years ago

Hmm... GITD/UV LED kits in the future maybe?

1 week later
#657 8 years ago

Those look awesome!! If Matt hasn't blown the doors off the rubber ring market, these GITD rings just did it. Holy crap.

#667 8 years ago

Is there a timeline for the 4" and tapered conical posts? And are the fatter 7/8" (yellow originally) being considered for the next set of molds? Your selection is already awesome and it seems like you don't have too far to go to round everything out. I put on a bunch more of these on our route games this morning and wanted to thank you again for all your hard work. I will definitely NOT be missing those "HAPP crap" rubbers.

#671 8 years ago

I just realized something about these rings too. If you have slingshots or any other ring in an open area that does not require removing the plastic, you can simply stretch them over the posts without taking anything apart. This is much more difficult/impractical with regular rubbers because they are less flexible.

#674 8 years ago

Maybe Marco is using their own reference number.

#676 8 years ago

Well I'm sorry to be the first to report some minor damage with one of the rings in White Water. This is the one installed to the left of the boulder garden bumper. There is a small split at the bend of the narrow post where the ball has hit over time. I finished the machine about a month ago to give a relative timeframe. I rotated it and will see if this happens again. Would you suggest installing a fatter post here?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-850.jpgimage-850.jpg
1 week later
#700 8 years ago

I believe they are about a month out from production on the conical posts.

#709 8 years ago

Ok I replaced a crapload more rings on Addams Family this morning. I replaced the right slingshot ring (that I had left as original rubber for comparison) since I was tired of looking at it. Even after cleaning one final time, the ring still ended up looking pretty terrible in comparison to the Titan ring on the left sling. I replaced these only three and a half months ago. Barely one quarter, and already the rubber looks like crap while the silicone still looks brand new after the same amount of cleaning. It doesn't appear the small indentation from the kicker arm has gotten any worse, so I can safely say this will most likely not be an issue long term. I removed the old ring and compared both sides to a new Competition ring. I believe the quality of these products speaks for itself!

234.jpg234.jpg235.jpg235.jpg236.jpg236.jpg237.jpg237.jpg238.jpg238.jpg

I also swapped out the flipper bands and did notice a groove in the upper right flipper rubber from where the flipper hits the ball guide when fully actuated. I think the Thing mini flipper has the issue as well (I forgot to look) but if it does, not nearly as bad. I installed the new ones and looked carefully, and the guides still seem to be touching the ring, but barely if that. Doesn't appear like it will be a problem. Can anyone else with Competition flipper bands installed on this game check on this to verify?

243.jpg243.jpg244.jpg244.jpg245.jpg245.jpg

There's one other thing I noticed, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, but the red bands to seem to slightly discolor at the tips when installed. It honestly doesn't bother me but take it as an observation. I don't see any splitting or damage at the tips.

241.jpg241.jpg242.jpg242.jpg

And here is another Titan vs. 3 year old Happ Crap ring example.

239.jpg239.jpg240.jpg240.jpg

#715 8 years ago

We have now added a feature to change colors when buying a kit from the database
A popup window will appear, and you can adjust the colors for any of the line items.
The original kit maker will still receive credit for the purchase.
Titan Pinball Database Colors.jpg
It was another great feat by Compy to make this happen!
If you need to make a lot of changes to a kit, please consider creating a new one for that game.

I was about to ask about this. I was afraid of people seeing my kits but not buying them because there could be one or two rings they don't like. This makes it a lot easier for both customers and contributors and encourages remixing of existing kits. Is it possible to load a kit, make a change to ring types/count/colors, and save a new kit? That would save a lot of manual editing putting together a new kit from scratch.

#721 8 years ago

Judging by the order number looks like you have made 200 more sales since the last time I purchased, which is about a month ago. Wow! That's 25% of your current business to date!

#725 8 years ago

Don't be so modest...

#727 8 years ago

Very nice!! Did you use GITD in the Haunted Forest™ too?

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

What was amazing was that when I took off the old black rings, my hands were stained. I thought I had touched grease. They must have been filthy.

Black rubber sucks. It's a big reason why playfields get so dirty.

#750 8 years ago

What other odds and ends could we bring in?

How about rubber flipper link stop grommets? Replacing these with silicone will help with longevity and will not dirty up the mechs.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5105-00

Also I think these grommets are used for generic solenoids. Are they interchangeable so just one kind can be used?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6577

#764 8 years ago

Are those used on ramp ends?

1 week later
#791 8 years ago

PM sent.

1 week later
#800 8 years ago

I finished my Caribbean Cruise.

Did you enjoy the trip?

#802 8 years ago

And for my the 800th post I will be obsessively staring at this thread waiting for Matt to add those new items to the website.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#808 8 years ago

I also think Sega large DMD games have this slingshot size.

#827 8 years ago

Beefing up my list of rings... always a crappy dirty dried out rubber ring to replace on location machines.

#838 8 years ago

For anyone who is wondering what the translucent rings look like with colored LEDs, here's a few on an Elvira with color matched GI. Looks stellar, almost like they are colored rings.

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

image_4.jpgimage_4.jpg

#840 8 years ago

To be fair this isn't my machine. It's a local arcade that just opened up.

1 week later
#852 8 years ago

It will take Matt a day or two to get everything sorted, priced, and put up on the website.

#853 8 years ago

By the way here's a follow-up on the rail guide indentation potential on the upper flippers of Addams Family. This is a game design problem obviously, but I'm curious to see how these bands hold up versus original rubbers. The indention is only moderate after a few months of consistent location play.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#875 8 years ago

C'mon Matt, I'm stuck on this project and am out of some rings!

#879 8 years ago

Just added more things to my list. Go ahead and book that vacation because there's a LOT of money headed your way when the shipment drops. Thanks for keeping us updated! And feel free to use any of my photos for the database.

#881 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#890 8 years ago

Pics of the shipment would be pretty cool. Gives us an idea of how much stuff we have!

#893 8 years ago

So they finally came in?

#898 8 years ago

DANG!

#900 8 years ago

"This afternoon an Athens business owner was arrested for suspected drug trafficking. After suspiciously returning a previous payload back to his shipping company he then establishes a diversion a few days later by sending the truck to an unsuspecting neighbor to aid in the retrieval of contraband materials. He then proceeds to boast about his "stash" wrapped in mysteriously numbered containers by posting photos on an obscure internet message board.

After the seizure local authorities examined the payload and described it as "mysteriously odored silicone pieces of questionable identity and intended use."

#918 8 years ago

Are you adding the new stuff to the existing bulk packs?

#921 8 years ago

Awesome! Are they all available in GITD?

#924 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#928 8 years ago

I had a small hiccup. When updating some amounts in my cart I saw a blank page with two brackets. [ ] Only happened twice and refreshing got me back to the rest. I imagine it's because of everyone hitting the site because of the new stuff?

#932 8 years ago

I noticed something interesting over the past few months on a route game. It looks like some of the rings are getting a very slight tan color... the location is a bar with typically heavy smoke, but I don't think that's causing it as wiping the rings down with a cloth doesn't do anything and there is a game next to it that still has pure white rings. Can silicone react to UV? I have two different types of LEDs from different brands between the two machines. I definitely think it's something environmental though as the non-exposed sides of the rings are still white. This is not a problem for me at all, it's barely noticeable if you ask me. Just curious about possible causes.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg
image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#934 8 years ago

Has anyone tried white rings with UV LEDs and seen this happen? Or just in general?

#936 8 years ago

I don't have any of that handy. What does that typically do?

#948 8 years ago

FYI, 3" rings work perfectly in place of the 2-3/4" size for Sega slingshots.

#950 8 years ago

I have always used 2-1/2" rings on Data Easts. From what I can tell Sega slingshots are a bit larger.

#952 8 years ago

To me 2.5" is a little tight, and that may be why the original ring was fraying at the corners. But then again, it's rubber.

#953 8 years ago

My orders came in today. I didn't expect both in one day, great timing! Everything is packed very well. Really like the new colors I'm trying.

#955 8 years ago

Yeah! The orange flipper rings look fantastic. Going to put them on Tales from the Crypt!

#957 8 years ago

I don't see why not, you contributed your time to make the kit. It would be a good motivator for people to add more to the database.

#967 8 years ago

Here are a few more games I've done today.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#969 8 years ago

A very rare Bally Escape from the Lost World.

#972 8 years ago

Everything in Titan on Escape. Others I'm still converting.

#975 8 years ago

Frankenstein in gray.

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#994 8 years ago

I believe so yes.

#996 8 years ago

Tales from the Crypt in orange and yellow. Kinda gives it an electric Halloween look. And players are already noticing the improved bounce.

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#1016 8 years ago

Final pics of my Escape project in silicone. Let's see how they hold up on location!

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#1022 8 years ago

Game is Bally Escape from the Lost World. Quite uncommon at 1500 units made. How many of these do you see on location these days?

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/escape-from-the-lost-world

#1025 8 years ago

I work for an operator. Most of our stuff is at a laundromat in Lebanon. Search the map for Holiday Wash. We have some other stuff in town as well.

#1026 8 years ago

I'd say the players are definitely liking the new flipper feel!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#1027 8 years ago

Post 1024 (round number in computing). Saw these on the same Elvira at that arcade I mentioned before. I seriously thought he was using translucent yellow rings on the flippers, looks weird! The bats are actually yellow so I don't know why it showed up white on camera. It's a dark place with black lights so that could be why.

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#1046 8 years ago

Just noticed this but Matt likes to include an extra piece here and there out of courtesy. We really appreciate your consideration for your customers!

1 week later
#1076 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

My Titans just came in, but my diagram in my machines manual has print that isn't very clear in the places where rubber is supposed to go. Do you guys know of a source or database that has very clear diagrams for rubber placement?
Thanks!!

What game?

1 week later
#1088 8 years ago

Here's a thought. Play a game or two in the dark then turn off the game. See which rings glow most, and think of it as the game telling you, "You're not done, are you master? Come back to meeeee!"

1 week later
#1113 8 years ago

I have nothing bad to say about the competition rings. After thousands of plays on some of our location games they are holding up well and always come clean with 2 or 3 wipes of Novus. They are not drying out, cracking, or failing randomly like a lot of the new rubber rings we see today.

#1122 8 years ago

There is no question as to what you get. Competition is silicone, plain and simple.

2 weeks later
#1224 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Looking for pictures of anyone who has done Titan sets on
TAF
RFM
CFTBL
TZ
They are all on my hit list and looking for ideas. I did AFM in green which was fantastic, but these I'm having a hard time coming up with color schemes, and I'd hate to just do all white on all of them.

Addams Family flippers in red on location.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1227 8 years ago

Yes red Titan flippers and white Titan rings look great. Using black rubber post sleeves since they actually hold up pretty well.

#1230 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

My only issue with white rubber is that I feel like after a few plays it looks dirty. Do the titan whites resist that better than conventional rubber?

Yep.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings/page/5#post-2312016

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings/page/8#post-2351360

2 weeks later
#1262 8 years ago

That's nice of you to say, but please take me up on it. I sold you a premium ring, you should get premium quality. It's never a hassle to replace a defective part.

Matt provides this hobby with world-class and products and world-class customer service.

1 week later
#1285 8 years ago

Two bulk kits and some odds and ends later and holy crap, that's a lot of rings! Converting location machines to silicone is fun, but very time consuming. Like, it gets to the point where you've replaced just about everything you can without doing a full teardown. Suprisingly the black standard rubber post sleeves are holding up reasonably well. It feels good to spend some time swapping out old crappy dried out rubbers, into the trash they go!

John_I, I really like the color scheme on your Funhouse. Have you considered pairing yellow and orange rings on the double stacked posts?

#1289 8 years ago

Oh, those nasty posts that PAPA likes to use in tournaments
I will definitely add those to the list.
We have 6 new molds in production now, so it will be a little while before we add the thick post

#1292 8 years ago

Known issue.

#1294 8 years ago

Matt said his guys are aware of it, yes.

#1301 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

What's the discount code?

TITAN10.

#1306 8 years ago

A small note on your silicone shooter tips. I decided to swap these on a couple of games from standard black rubber tips. They weren't in bad shape, but I'm weeding out the remaining rubber tips I have and getting away from rubber entirely. I would definitely suggest this if you are using rubber tips. They look great (I'm using white), install easily, and deliver more energy to the ball when you plunge. Seriously, I was about to replace some shooter springs but now that I installed the silicone tips, no need to do that to get a strong plunge!

#1309 8 years ago

I thought this was inferred, but you can still plunge for skill shots just fine.

#1312 8 years ago

I have never seen a case where 2" is fit for slingshots.

#1315 8 years ago

2.5" for most slingshots, 3" for Sega slingshots.

#1327 8 years ago

Has anyone compared these to PinballLife's new PerfectPlay silicone rings? Look, feel, ease of installation, bounce?

#1330 8 years ago

You really should give these a solid try, they clean up excellent and durability is fantastic. Not to mention they keep your playfield much cleaner! Maybe get a set of flipper rings and from each brand and compare, and some 2-1/2" rings for slingshots. So far I am liking the fact that colors appear to be more vibrant with the PerfectPlays.

#1332 8 years ago

Who has been the best brand for standard rubber? I used to use PBL but lately it seems like their stuff doesn't last more than a few months before it starts to deteriorate.

1 week later
#1343 8 years ago

Anyone else notice Superbands are absorbing dirt? There is a faint trail on this white ring that I can't get off with Novus.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#1345 8 years ago

Yeah I used to use that for rubbers. Never need it with Titans.

2 weeks later
#1364 8 years ago

The only issue I've had was a minor split at a tight post bend. I rotated it and it's still holding up. Had no issues with slings at all, and I'm saying that for a dozen location games.

1 week later
#1388 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Also, yes, you can buy new flipper bats, but why do so when not required?

I agree. No sense in buying parts to replace perfectly good ones.

#1405 8 years ago

We ran out of stuff to convert.

#1414 8 years ago

PM sent.

#1424 8 years ago

I'd really like to try these on location and see how they hold up.

I got my rings yesterday, fast shipping as usual. And the extra post rings were not at all necessary on a free sample order, fantastic customer service. Anyway, I installed them in Addams Family and Baywatch on the lower flippers keeping the original colors I had (red and black respectively). This is a good test case because this covers two different manufacturers and Addams had Titans before while Baywatch had Superbands.

The difference in Addams I could see immediately. The ball doesn't bounce as high as it used to which means I can no longer trap the ball on the right flipper coming out of the electric chair. Instead of bouncing off the left flipper, the right flipper, and creeping up the right lane guide enough to trap it now doesn't clear the right flipper at all which means attempting to trap will flip the ball back into play. If you get the timing right you can still make the Thing ramp from the left scoop but you have to be more precise since you cannot stop the ball and regroup. This is certainly not a bad thing considering it takes a bit of control away from the player but at the same time adds a bit more challenge when you have an extra ball on the table and Thing multiball has nearly run out.

Baywatch as expected shows a much bigger difference. I may even say drastic. The Superbands were much harder to get off than the old Titans on Addams. The photo shows they actually stretch more that Titans which would make you think the opposite. After the swap I'm instantly seeing more bounce, more ball speed, and a few more airballs. The difference is really in your face compared to Superbands. It literally feels like I just rebuilt the flippers on this game. They were perfectly fine before but man, the Titans put it over the top. The ball bounces off the flippers and makes it halfway up the playfield now back down from the Venice ramp. It's also much easier to make that ramp with a sloppy shot.

#1425 8 years ago

Bump.

#1449 8 years ago

I like the look of the thinner rings as well. Looks more like traditional rubber.

1 week later
#1493 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Try 2"
LTG : )

You mean 3". This game uses non-standard slingshot shapes so you may need to increase the size.

#1496 8 years ago

I've tried every flipper ring color except dark blue, white, purple, pink, and clear. I'm impressed with how they look.

1 week later
#1513 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

*post edited by moderator*

Maybe stick with your own for sale thread?

#1541 8 years ago

Finally the fatter 7/8" post typically used in yellow on Bally/Williams games!

Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Pinbot Titaned up in various colors.

20160311_131337_(resized).jpg20160311_131407_(resized).jpg20160311_131446_(resized).jpg20160311_131538_(resized).jpg20160311_131550_(resized).jpg20160311_131519_(resized).jpg

The high color rendering index rating of incandescents really brings out the ring and post color on your game. Looks amazing! What's with the pinball on a stick?

#1557 8 years ago

I don't see any issues with mine. I'll have to get a closer look for wear at the tips.

#1565 8 years ago

6 months in I'm seeing some very minor wear on the tip. This game gets played a ton on location, several times a day easily. I think this product has held up fantastic during that time. I have rotated the ring and will see how long it ultimately lasts!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1596 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Makes me wonder if he want playing Superbands and thought they were Titans? Titans always flipper pass. My problem with Titans on flippers is that they are stickier and thus more effected by spin on the ball. This cuts down on accuracy. I love Titans everywhere else but may soon switch back to plain rubber on flippers only.

PM sent.

#1606 7 years ago

I think he means colorized transparent rings.

2 weeks later
#1654 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I noticed something interesting over the past few months on a route game. It looks like some of the rings are getting a very slight tan color... the location is a bar with typically heavy smoke, but I don't think that's causing it as wiping the rings down with a cloth doesn't do anything and there is a game next to it that still has pure white rings. Can silicone react to UV? I have two different types of LEDs from different brands between the two machines. I definitely think it's something environmental though as the non-exposed sides of the rings are still white. This is not a problem for me at all, it's barely noticeable if you ask me. Just curious about possible causes.

Verified it's caused by smoke/nicotine. Is there a proven way to remove these stains from silicone? A paper I read (even though it's from the 80s) says:

In this study, a maxillofacial silicone elastomer was stained with cigarette smoke. The stain was then removed by solvent extraction using 1,1,1-trichloroethane. The cigarette smoke produced large color changes in the elastomer as measured from spectrophotometric reflectance curves. The solvent was totally effective in removing the cigarette stain without changing the color of the silicone base.

I also read Fantastic cleaner works. I'm shopping a game with lightly stained Titan rings that are otherwise fine, I don't want to throw them out and want to reuse them among new pure white rings. The game has been in a heavy smoke environment for about 2 years. The installed ring is normal rubber, the one on the left is a stained silicone ring.

2 weeks later
#1671 7 years ago

I sincerely hope the buyer fully intends on maintaining your product line and reputation. I would hate for anything to happen to your brand. Sounds like everything is going smoothly though.

1 week later
#1680 7 years ago

Actually if you want to know why some games are black to begin with it was due to operator request because black does not show dirt.

#1685 7 years ago

Just finished my TFTC. Wow, this game plays so different now! Ball really flies along the ramps and around the loops. Don't think it's ever played this fast before today.

3 weeks later
#1694 7 years ago

Here's a post ring that hasn't been cleaned in many months. A few wipes with Novus 1 later... try doing THAT with rubber!

#1696 7 years ago

Smoky location. Cleans up great in bleach solution.

2 weeks later
#1724 7 years ago

Ah so the UV LEDs are finally ready. Looks killer!

1 week later
#1729 7 years ago

Look at the crappy flipper rubber surrounded by deep glossy silicone. Amazing improvement. Also, awesome photo! What camera do you use?

1 week later
#1743 7 years ago

I use 2.5" rings on slingshots. 2" is too tight, but 2.5" gives a perfect fit.

5 months later
#1907 7 years ago

Just had a Superband flipper rubber snap on me on a route game. Haven't seen this problem with Titan flipper rubbers, FYI.

#1930 7 years ago

Looks great! I love a playfield accent color brought out by the rings. If I can ever get un-covered up by work, I have access to so many machines that got the full custom color treatment. It would be awesome to document and share those...

Stop being jerks, buying his rings and all. Everyone boycott for a few days until we get the pics!

10 months later
#2275 6 years ago

Great job for providing those sizes! If I was an owner I would be very happy and grateful for that.

1 week later
#2312 6 years ago

TITAN10 still works.

3 months later
#2387 6 years ago

2-1/2” works for me on most modern games. I think I use 2-3/4” rings on Sega slingshots as it seems these are slightly bigger.

8 months later
#2464 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

That could be the case. (Haven't heard back from ex yet, either.) I remember when I placed an order (either for these or Meteor) that the (then) current site design made it difficult to tell which ones you were looking at when placing an order. The same order came with a blue plunger rubber, and that one is fine. No fading. So it's likely I messed up the order..! D'oh.

Did you check the existing ones that supposedly faded to see if they are yellow in the center after being cut down the middle? With all due respect I think there was just a mix-up. I use several different types of yellow pieces and don't have this issue.

#2473 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Sorry guys; I thought I posted here.
I never heard back from the ex. (No surprise.) I cut one open, and it's white inside as well. So, either I just had ordered the wrong type back in '16, or, someone at York show decided to play a trick on me. The shooter rubber was still colorized (it didn't fade), but was also ordered at a different time.
So, no alarm, no issues; everything's peachy!

If you really want some closure to this mystery, just check the order history on your Titan account.

2 weeks later
#2496 5 years ago

From my experience most manuals list 2-1/2” rings for the slingshots. Those are what you want. 2” is too small.

#2499 5 years ago

Nice, I’ll try those next time I order.

2 weeks later
#2523 5 years ago

Even your finger works just fine.

5 months later
#2595 4 years ago

I replaced the few rubber rings I had left in Jurassic Park before it goes back on route. It's been probably about 3 or 4 years since I last shopped it out, and that's before I switched to silicone rings. I have just been replacing what is needed a little bit at a time.

#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I replaced the few rubber rings I had left in Jurassic Park before it goes back on route. It's been probably about 3 or 4 years since I last shopped it out, and that's before I switched to silicone rings. I have just been replacing what is needed a little bit at a time.

I had one on our routed Elvira and the Party Monsters break under both of the ramps. So I removed the ramps and replaced that one and all the remaining rubber rings. Now I won’t have to worry about it again for a few years, and it gave me the opportunity to clean up all the dust from the crappy gum rubbers that were installed in 2013, over 6 years ago.

Will be placing another order soon!

1 month later
#2609 4 years ago

Another reminder of how terrible gum rubbers are now. This Police Force project is definitely getting all Titan rings after 6 years of rubber deterioration! Either that or the Drug Rat escaped.
22B697E3-F8DC-4F9F-A44C-B4E654ED0383 (resized).jpeg22B697E3-F8DC-4F9F-A44C-B4E654ED0383 (resized).jpeg5A6753C9-B704-4C46-90F6-7C6B7CE80353 (resized).jpeg5A6753C9-B704-4C46-90F6-7C6B7CE80353 (resized).jpegADB21061-7CDD-4C97-B973-6DCBFE6C15C5 (resized).jpegADB21061-7CDD-4C97-B973-6DCBFE6C15C5 (resized).jpegEAE815EB-F3FE-4C0C-9C81-3D43838027E0 (resized).jpegEAE815EB-F3FE-4C0C-9C81-3D43838027E0 (resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

My clear rubbers always look a little thicker and last a little longer.

1 month later
#2629 4 years ago

Just ordered $70 worth of rings and LEDs. Packed and labeled well as usual, thank you Eric and Heather! The labeled bags come in handy for my parts box.
D3A5C2A9-2C35-4473-9859-99EE6923F9E4 (resized).jpegD3A5C2A9-2C35-4473-9859-99EE6923F9E4 (resized).jpeg

#2631 4 years ago

I've had similar experiences with my location games. Will never ever go back to rubber. Check post #144 and below for some testing I did.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings?tu=crash

1 year later
#2823 3 years ago

2" is too tight for slingshots on any game I have found. Stepping the size up to 2-1/2" resolves the issue and the rings last for a very long time. I think the manuals in old Sega games also used to call for 2" rings. I have no idea why, as it's terrible advice.

7 months later
#2863 2 years ago

Put it in a laser tag place! Or even better, use Tron.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.