(Topic ID: 42661)

New Product Announcement - anyPin NVRAM - No More Batteries!

By Borygard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Borygard
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gottlieb_sys1_nvram_200.jpg
    NVRAM-SOCKET GTB SYS1.JPG
    image.jpg
    mpu200_nvram.jpg
    stern200 pinside.GIF
    SV201026.JPG
    SV201020.JPG
    spock.gif
    products_hakko_808_img.jpg
    Desolder_5.jpg
    Desolder_4.jpg
    Desolder_3.jpg
    Desolder_2.jpg
    Desolder_1.jpg
    NVRAM-Adapter.jpg
    WPC95CPU.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 11 years ago

Rob, just a word of caution as I've sold some NVRAM products over the last year as well here on Pinside. You'll want to mention that on some board sets the existing RAM is soldered directly to the board (System 11, WPC, etc). That means if someone hasn't already installed a socket at the RAM chip, the end-user would need to cut the existing RAM off the board, unsolder the pins, clear the holes and install a brand new socket. I know you sometimes offer that type of service at shows or when you have the boards in for repair, but it also seems like you would also be selling just the adapter to the end-user via your website and they might be disappointed if they don't realize it's not an easy swap on some boards. Just trying to save you a headache there.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Getting past that DS1210 controller is obviously unique to S3, and with S3 using the button cell battery, I don't see much demand for using the anyPin NVRAM on it.

What's amazing with that DS1210 controller is how long the coin cell battery can last since it turns off battery power as soon as the machine is turned on and uses low power RAM. It was marketed as a way to turn RAM into NVRAM and it sure did that. I was looking into it a few months ago cause I was in awe at how at how a 285mah (CR2430?) can last 15-20 years or more.. have had several System 3 machines and they still hold high scores with the original battery and I've seen many other reports of that. Then after learning about that controller chip, it all made sense.

I have yet to see a System 3 with corrosion though and due to how long those batteries last with the controller chip, I'd agree that there probably wouldn't be much demand for it anyway. Pretty neat to generally not have to be concerned with battery corrosion on Gottlieb System 3 machines.

8 months later
    #145 10 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

A little help for Stern-200.
    If you are able, to put a little 4-pin-connector to your board, you can replace TWO 5101 on the stern board. Your adapter must be placed into U8.
    U13 must be desoldered too, if it is not socketed. Then the socket must get 4 bridges and then be connected via 4 thin wires to your new 4-pin-connector on your board.
    But pictures say more then words.
    Your board would stay universal also for Stern-200. By this solution, you replace TWO 5101s by using only ONE of your adaptors.
    Hope, that helps.
    - Ingo

Kind of like this? http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judging-interest-nvram-for-stern-mpu-200

Well, I went the "daughter board" route instead of a socket because I wouldn't think that most people are going to want to be connecting jumper wires to a regular socket. Easier to make it plug-and-play and simplify installation with a separate pcb board IMO.

mpu200_nvram.jpgmpu200_nvram.jpg
    2 months later
    #156 10 years ago

Guess I'll not put as much priority on the System 1 nvram adapter I was working on. I had a similar setup on a prototype I recently had made, with a 6264 being adapted (allows people to use SRAM or compatible NVRAM that they already may have).

gottlieb_sys1_nvram_200.jpggottlieb_sys1_nvram_200.jpg

#157 10 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

I "played" a bit with Rob´s NVRAM-Adapter. Rob really did a great job in designing the hardware - and I know, what I am speaking of, because we also produce NVRAM-Adapters since some years.
    To make the anypin-adapter more "universal" also for Gottlieb System 1, I strained my head and made the schematics. My idea was, that you use the anypin-adapter in the 6264-configuration and simply put the anypin-adapter in a "daughter board" specially designed only for GOTTLIEB System 1.
    In theory it must work, but at first I let make a prototype now and make some tests.
    @Rob: I will keep you informed, when my tests have been successful.
    See attached file of the layout.
    Have fun
    - Ingo

Assuming u2 is a tri-state buffer? Honesty I'm surprised someone else got around to working on this System 1's don't get a lot of love, so at least it means there will be some options for nvram on System 1 machines in the near future. I had tried testing my prototype in a Bally-35 mpu but then realized I was going to likely need to combine the OD, /CE and R/W pins there to get the enable signals for the buffer. The 5101 on the System 1 has OD and /CE permanently tied to ground though, so I'd think you could probably just combine CE2 & R/W (maybe what u1 is for on your board). Then if someone plugs it into something other than a System 1 mpu then they would just expect it to not function.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-announcement-anypin-nvram-no-more-batteries?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.