Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by swampwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

This is Bally Playboy, and it had been playing wonderfully. It has an Alltek MPU, Solenoid Driver and Rottendog power board.

So I turn it on and get a very strange, raw buzzing sound for a second, so I then power it off. I turn it back on, and the Solenoid Driver shows everything fine, with the rotating LEDs. The MPU flashes 4 times, then after a few seconds, it flashes again a few times, and does this over & over, so I power off. I power on again, and the MPU flashes a bunch of times and then stops like it is supposed to, and the startup tune plays, but the displays are not showing anything except a very small dot along the bottom, so I power off. I power on again, and the MPU gets the red LED, so I power down quickly. I power on again, and everything is going well, and the displays are working, I try to start a new game, but nothing happens and the lamps begin to dim. At the point I figure I should stop.

The fuses look fine. If it matters, there is a bit of burnt plastic smell in the lower cabinet, which leads me to think the line filter & MOV could be an issue (FWIW, they both look good), so my current MO is to replace those.

EDIT: OK, the plot thickens. The local utility truck has just pulled up to my house, and the tech said that there was a call to get the power turned back on (must be a neighbor as I've had power continuously on). I told him about me having a strange power issue, and he said he was going to check it out.

EDIT EDIT: OK, first the tech was at the wrong address, and it wasn't an issue with the power turning off for someone, but rather someone moving in and getting the power turned on. I told him about him about my issue, and he checked the mains, and said I was getting 120-121V.

#2 4 years ago

connections to the power switch perhaps ? also do you have the ground braid to the head connected?

hope it's something easy

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

connections to the power switch perhaps ? also do you have the ground braid to the head connected?
hope it's something easy

The ground braid had looked fine, but I'll take another look.

#4 4 years ago

so this is resolved ? ....

was thinking about turning game on while in the dark to see if any arcing occurs across something

#5 4 years ago

I just tried it again. It powers up fine, but then when trying to start a new game, it stops, and then resets like power up. I then tried to open the coin door, and when doing that, the lamps dim.

#6 4 years ago

OK, I've opened the door. There was a Q-tip stuck between the lamp sockets of the coin door. After removing it, I was still getting issues, then I jiggled the wires around the reset & slam switches, and I've played with no issues (except a non-related one) for a games. VERY STRANGE!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-problem-bally-strange-sound-and-other-stuff?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.