View topic image gallery

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#6100 10 years ago

I find it funny reading a thread like this, it just goes to show the different things people make a priority. When all is said and done the most important thing to me is how a game plays, the feel of the shots, the variety of the shots and the depth and challenge of the rules. Toys are nice, dots are nice, sound is nice but, there are plenty of games with great toys, dots, art and sounds, that I might enjoy for a minute and half, but would not want in my collection. Obviously I would prefer a great playing, challenging and deep game that also had good dots, sound, art and toys, but, seems so many people focus on the latter. Certainly I like a theme that I can relate to as well, but again, first and foremost is how does it play.

There are plenty of games from the 80s and 90s, that don't have fancy toys and the like, that are great playing games. If this game ends up being like that, then the Skit-B guys should feel great about it. At this point I have no idea whether or not this is a great playing game, time will tell, and I look forward to getting an opportunity at some point to really play one.

2 months later
#6681 10 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

I like to think we've run into just about every problem that could have happened already, so aside from any manufacturing mishaps along the way, we should be pretty smooth sailing from here.

Isn't that what the captain of the Titanic said right before . . .

I do hope it is smooth sailing for you from here.

#6755 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If the boys at Skit-B Pinball pull the production of this machine off in a decent time, JJP is going to look real bad.

I don't think that is true, despite JJP having vastly more resources, as Kevin as said, they were trying to 'reinvent pinball', Skit-B is trying to recapture what was great about pinball in the 90s and bring it up to date for the needs/desires of today's 'collector/player'.

This is not meant in anyway to take away from what these guys are doing, which I think is pretty darn amazing.

#6771 10 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Open source, and all that.

Curious, did you use python or C? Which operating system on you running on? Did you build it on procgame, or did you replace that framework with your own or did you just extend the framework? I guess I could go sift through the p-roc message board (or possible this one) for this info, but figure most of the folks here don't go there and I'm sure others are curious from an intellectual standpoint.

#6776 10 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

"Whats the matter? CIA got you pushing to many pencils?"

Python running on Linux.

If I tell you how much pencil pushing I am doing, I'd have to kill you With 6700 comments in this thread, I'll be in a nursing home before I could read through them all . . .

but hey, you did not answer the rest of my question, you answered the the easy part, heck you did not even tell me which distro

And I guess the other question is when will the source code be available (and under what license), I'm sure there is some stuff I can "borrow" for my machine.

#6803 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

The wife wants a "Nightmare Before Christmas"

There is someone building one on the P-Roc forum . . .

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=947.msg7928#msg7928

#6835 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

It's PG-13. For me, that's a non starter. Robocop cannot be PG-13 and do it justice.

It is surprising today what you can put into a PG-13. Besides tons of sex, smoking, drinking, etc. the violence level has risen significantly.

A recent study showed the amount of gun violence in PG-13 movies has more than tripled since 1985, and last year exceeded the amount of gun violence in top-grossing R-rated movies. http://www.slashfilm.com/pg-13-movies-now-actually-more-violent-than-r-movies-study-says/

Most R rated movies from 20 years ago, could now be PG-13. My daughter is 13, and there are some old R rated movies I am fine with her watching, but some new PG-13 that I have second thoughts about. There are some prime time TV shows that have more sex and violence then some old R rated movies.

Having said that, based on what I have read about the remake, the changes they are making to the basic storyline, the 'world' in which it takes place, and overall philosophy of the director, makes it clear it is not going to be the same Robocop, and will likely fall flat like so many remakes or 're-envsioning' of classic movies. My daughter will likely want to go see it, so I am preparing myself for disappointment when I watch it. Hopefully I will be presently surprised.

2 weeks later
#6909 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Though, I have always wondered how SkitB got complete rights to the IP from the movie. When I read about the horror stories from the B/W days regarding actors signing off on their likenesses and voices, or use of music from a movie, etc.,

not all licenses are created equal. I doubt there is a ton of demand for predator licenses, so the license holder/marketer I'm sure is happy to get money on it. Over time the studios have gotten a lot smarter in locking in the use of likeness and sound quotes from the film for a variety of purposes. Music used in movies is often a different thing, since the movie is licensing it, they are not acquiring a license that they can then in turn license out. Will be interesting to see who the Lebowski guys deal with the music, which is certainly key in setting the tone of some scenes in the movie.

I remember hearing about the movie Big, where they were able to use 'happy birthday to you' for the movie, but not for the DVD, and created their own song for the DVD (so they knew when making the film). Recently 'happy birthday to you' has come under lawsuits as to whether the copyright is even valid on it http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/06/13/a-bitter-dispute-over-happy-birthday-to-you/

#6943 10 years ago

While I often subscribe the to the maxim that "when people don't know what you are doing, they assume you are doing nothing", I suspect Kevin is actually doing a lot, and just too busy to be spending time on pinside. He last posted about two weeks ago, so it not like it has been a loooong time. While I am sure a lot has happened in the last two weeks, I'm sure he wants to be sure whatever video he posts next will properly reflect the progress. My guess he is once again waiting on vendors to get the latest (hopefully last) revisions done for testing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.