Topic Stats

• 7,117 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 590 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

320 posts in this topic match your search for posts by navajas. You are on page 1 of 2.
#23 7 years ago

Freaking. OUT!!!

Looks so damned slick.

EDIT: Ha! I'm watching the video again even though I should be in bed and I think I can hear WIT giving Aaron prompts on his voice over.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

What does it say on the DMD after Skit-B and before Predator towards the end of the video. It's a little hard to see.

I disagree. It's a lot hard to see.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Thanks for the update.
I couldn't help but notice while you played I didn't see the Dutch, or Blain characters. I'm hoping there isn't a license issue with them?

Dutch / Arnold is already in a couple of the clips and they mention Blaine by name so I'm thinking/hoping it's probably not an issue.

#50 7 years ago

Hey, it occurs to me with you folks being in MI that if you wanted to tap a population right in your intended demographic with an absolute shitload of disposable income, and if you could overcome any hard feelings / team allegiances, you might want to hit up Clay Matthews with an email about the machine. I'd be amazed if he wouldn't want one, and word of cool toys spreads real f'ing fast through NFL players. I know you're close to sold out, but if you're planning machine #2 and it's similarly badassed in theme, you could do a lot worse for word of mouth than NFL locker rooms.

Just don't forget us, much, littler guys!

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

There was a Blain animation, maybe it was obscured in the video. There is no Dutch animation (or Anna, for that matter), but it is not because of license issues. Think about it a little bit!

Ha!

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I keep thinking about it, and still can't figure it out.
What obvious thing am I missing?

It's called Killing Spree folks. They don't get killed.

Come on!

#56 7 years ago

clay mathews? CLAY MATHEWS??? It's Michigan, not Wisconsin!
Get that Green Bay crap outta here!!
SUUUUHHH

Did you miss the part of the post talking about overcoming that?

EDIT: Ha, and regardless, I didn't see a Lions jersey in that video. In any case, when Suh (rarely) gets a sack does he do the Predator roar? When other players went over to Matthews house, saw and played his Predator, I would bet good money there'd be quite a few pinball machines going to NFL towns. These guys are worse than any 10 families on the same block as the Jones' when it comes to cool toys.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I did find the dmd videos hard to see, so I'm not sure what I missed. If Dutch is IN the game somewhere, I'm happy.

I've seen animations with Dutch. I might actually wish I'd seen the one with the binoculars a little less as it seems just a touch repetitive. I'm not worried as I think that might be the (or one of the) mode start animations and that's what they are often showing in the videos. Plus he's all over the voice work, calling you a son of a bitch, screaming "Mack!", and I'm sure, though I don't think we've got to hear it yet, telling you to get to the Choppaahhhh!, etc...

#68 7 years ago

I have a few minor questions:

1) The inserts on the ramp and loop shots all pulse bottom to top, but the lights for the jungle hole go 4,3,1,2 or, red, orange, green, yellow. Is that on purpose or is there a swap under the table or something?

2) For the high score in your account stats is there a way to select it or something to see all the digits. I foresee the possibility of, "Hey I tied your score!", and, "Bullshit you tied my score, you had 2,850,155,420 and I had 2,858,974,420!"

3) Is the sort of hourglass wedge design of the plastics above the pops to slow down the feed to the rest of the table, or does something else happen up there?

EDIT: 4) I'm a little curious about that kickout on the right side. Could you talk about the design choice to put it there? Looks like you could get a lot of accidental hits. Is it mostly intended to be an exit only type of deal or is there a shot intended?

EDIT 2:

4:21
» YouTube video

Bong. Thanks man.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yes they explained it briefly in the video and in past discussion. They will have a gate on there that will only allow for exits and not allowing accidental hits.

Oh thanks. I missed that. Forgive the redundancy.

#74 7 years ago

Yeah. I donated. A pittance comparatively, but I'm poor as hell and every spare penny I've got is going to the Predator fund.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Yes, you are right. I have to go find the Lorenzo Stomp.
Thanks for clarifying Mitch. Nothing worse than a deluded memory.
Dan

Yackety Sax existed before and after Benny Hill, but that is from where most people's association comes.

#92 7 years ago

This is all I will say to people who know anything at all about the Detroit Lions:
» YouTube video

Ha. Right, I got it. Hahaha. Yes, you guys like your Lions. All I'm saying here dude, and dude, this is all I'm saying, you're making a game called Predator, based on the movie called Predator, and this guy, right next door, is known as "the predator", and he does a predator happy dance on national TV at least once a week (since the f-ing Packers are ALWAYS televised regardless of market), he's one of the cherry picked media sensations, he's loaded with cash and hangs out almost exclusively with other man children who are also loaded with cash. I could think of worse ways to try and ignite a pinball Renaissance (like, oh, I don't know welding your hopes to a license for a musical that... wait, nevermind) than Rachel Nichols doing a human interest piece / walkthrough of Matthews' house, and having him point out his SkitB pinball machine in "his" likeness.

Know what I mean? Fan boys see that and POW, instant pinball interest. Hell, this thing's going to cost about the same as a season ticket these days anyway!

But, OK, OK, I'll let it drop.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#106 7 years ago

Lol navajas. I see what you're doing. The game will be spoken for very soon and what better way to drive that resale price up. Ehhhhh? Ehhhhhhhhh?

It'd be a lie to say the thought didn't cross my mind. Seriously. If I lived in the area, had the cash for two and knew they were gone, hell yes I'd try to sell one to Clay for $20k. But, (un)fortunately I don't have the money, and no one's getting my only one.

#109 7 years ago

My guess is their license agreement is very strictly limited to 250, hence the hard cap. :-/

I suppose it could happen years down the line when the new golden age has hit and SkitB, Jersey Jack and Stern are mega corps doing battle with Sega and Microsoft by releasing two new holographic display ultrapins a year.

EDIT: And you folks trying to get in line are spoiled. I waited two months to hear back!

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

1) The area between the rollovers and pops seems to work like a choke point - had you considered reducing the amount of space it takes up to allow the pop bumpers to come up the playfield a bit?

I asked:

Quoted from navajas:

3) Is the sort of hourglass wedge design of the plastics above the pops to slow down the feed to the rest of the table, or does something else happen up there?

They said:

It's to simulate the feeling of getting lost in the jungle for a few seconds, and to also limit the physical area in which the ball can get "trapped" in the pops area. If it was open at the top, you could imagine the ball would roll down, tag a single pop and jump up, then float again and again. Not very exciting.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

A few people outside of here that I have talked to seem very skeptical of it and said they playfield looks very basic.

The layout is basic unless I'm missing something, you know? I was laying in bed last night thinking about the playfield (what?) and I can only really think of three things to shoot for with the left flipper and two for the right, unless you count the two bank right in the middle for either. I have to admit to being a little leery of these thoughts.

Look, I am in love with this project and my money's in the pot. The theme is perfect, and from what we've seen, its integration might be peerless. The code looks awesome (and the select an orbit can basically be thought of as another shot for either flipper I guess), the modes fun and innovative, the sound is great, etc...

I do not like Sterns toy box explosion playfields, I don't need pointless glitz and a game doesn't have to have a toy bash to be good. But I'm a big boy, they guys at SkitB are talented and cool, and I can admit the shot count seems low, especially compared to some modern pins.

#153 7 years ago

Also, both ramps and the lock hole can be backhanded from the looks of things.

For sure, it looks like pretty much the whole field can be hit from either flipper. I saw that insert on the right you mention, but I'm not sure that is a shot. If it is, man, it looks dangerous!

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

The one thing I hear some people are worried about are the two targets dead center that might throw the ball down the guts of the machine. Personally I'm not to worried myself but I can understand their where their coming from, I love BSD but I do stay clear of the center targets.

Yeah, I'm not worried. They're canted a bit to the right and, regardless, it's a theme where you're in a jungle filled with dangerous predators, not, "A Pinball Stroll through Happy Park".

#174 7 years ago

As awesome as the movie is, and as iconic as it is for almost everyone in my demographic, Fox doesn't really seem to treat it with a lot of respect. Their Blu-Ray and DVD releases are, to be as kind as I possibly can, a f-ing joke. (The first 20 minutes of the new release DVD I just got are obviously a VHS transfer, there are spots and smudges on it.) Maybe the relative 'failure' of all the spin offs have relegated it to the bargain bin and they figure to just get what they can out of it.

But yeah, I've wondered about a couple of guys with a garage full of parts back in Michigan walking into some big a$$ film corp conference room in LA and walking out with a white sheet to do whatever in the hell they wanted 250 times.

Hell! If this all comes off and the game's as awesome as we all think it'll be, that'd make a pretty good premise for a movie. You know? Then they could make a pinball machine out of the movie of them making a pinball machine. They could be the Askewniverse of pinball!

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#179 7 years ago

Yeah, so, it certainly looks like a scoop on the right there above the sling and behind the exit. Are there two standups, facing the jets, between the three inserts on the scoop and the kickout?

#188 7 years ago

I think most of us would agree that what you code with what you've got on the field is more important than (to a point) exactly what there is. I mean, we can probably all think of any number of games that are chock full of shit on the table that aren't any fun at all. (Like Flash Gordon!... I kid, I kid. )

I was talking to my seven year old about it (his favorite pass time is designing playfields) because he was asking what I was doing tracing things on the computer with my finger. I told him I was trying to count the shots from each flipper. And what did he say? "It looks kind of like Medieval Madness Dad." I said, "Huh?"

"Well, you know, with out the dragons and monsters and castles and stuff. There's a loopy shot and then two ramps, then a scoopy hole in between and then a bonky thing in the middle like the trolls and that other scooper hole on the side but not the catapult because the catapult is on the other side and that one is on this side here. It's like Medieval Madness."

And I thought, huh, I'll be damned: I have the coolest seven year old son ever. And then I thought, huh, I'll be damned: He's kind of on to something there. It was right around that time that I have pretty much stopped worrying about the layout.

#200 7 years ago

Never having played a machine with one, can someone tell me the utility/appeal of a shaker motor? When / how does it come on? With the knocker? With multiball? Is it just like a big 360 rumble thingie for your pinball machine?

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I have JP, and the shaker comes on during certain modes, such as Stampede (pretty constant shaking) and Feed T-Rex (pulses quicker as the timer counts down as if the t-rex is stomping closer and closer.) It also does it during the tri-ball multiball, and I think during the 6-ball multiball Chaos. I think the Feed T-Rex shaker is super cool, and can't imagine playing it without it now.

Oh, the T-Rex foot steps is a great idea! I played that at a bowling alley and it didn't do that. Would have been sweet.

#210 7 years ago

Are they strong enough / intended to effect the movement of the ball? Are they on/off or can the intensity change?

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Also, not to put the cart before the horse, but how "developed" are your plans for pin #2?

The rumor I've heard is at least DD.

#243 7 years ago

I might be showing some green on this, but I am lost on what DD is...

Sorry. Too sophomoric. They asked, "how developed", and I responded with a cup size. :-/

Yes. I feel shame.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Consider it a loyalty program

Consider it a making me go fucking broke program.

#258 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I agree. There's a time and place to get feedback, other times you have to make an executive decision. You will never please 100%.

For real. Yo.

#260 7 years ago

Double D Dragons might not be so bad... (Could get Ronda Rousey and Gina Carano to pose for back glass.)

Best idea I've heard for a pin I've heard in years is from my seven year old design, "Monster Rampage". The player is a giant monster destroying a city. I don't think it's been done. He has a little building bash toy and an under table play field where you have to spell out, "STOMP" in stand ups before a timer runs out and you lose your ball. It has two spinners and three on field locks, but to get the third, which starts multi ball, you have to hit all the drop downs to spell, "Monstr" and "Rampaje". (Cut his spelling some slack, he's seven.) That enables you to drop the two BIG tank targets that hide the third kickout and that starts the Rampaje mode. There's a little monster toy in the middle of the playfield that then spins around with his floppy arms flinging the balls all over the place.

The lay out could use some work, but the theme is fucking top notch.

Oh, haha, and the lanes spell "S.O.S."! Ha. I love that boy. I've been thinking of starting a thread to post all his playfield designs but I'm not sure if it would be considered sort of indulgent parental spam. It's not exactly high art. Let's just say his design concepts and rules are more advanced than his drawing skills!

#266 7 years ago

First batch of shirts came in today, check 'em out.

That is pretty damned rad.

#312 7 years ago

Boondock Saints or Big Lebowski.

Wait, wait wait. IDEA!!!

Big Lebowski VS. Boondock Saints.

I win the world.

#318 7 years ago

Bill Paxton is the only man alive to have been killed by a Terminator, an Alien, and a Predator.

Aliens would be pretty damned awesome. Thing is, as wonderful as the Dark Hourse source material is, the Vs. movies are indescribably shitty. A stand alone Aliens? With smart gun spinners? Drop ship and APC loops? Pulse Rifle pops? Hot stuff right there.

#320 7 years ago

Oh damn! To answer all the Stern comic book machines Skit B could do Orgazmo! I bet dollars to beer and doughnuts Matt and Trey would do custom voices if you wanted.

EDIT: "Now sink your ball deep in that hole Chodda Boy!"

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from CptAwesomest:

I'd be into this... but may be the only person that would be into Cannibal! The Musical Pin

"You lookin' at my EYE?!"

#328 7 years ago

Dude! Lance Henrikson!
Terminator = Terminator
Alien = Aliens
Predator = Aliens vs. Predator

Good try, but, Aliens vs. Predator is not a real movie so it doesn't count.

#336 7 years ago

This post will have me humming the "Now You're A Man" theme song all weekend. Orgazmo is one of my all-time favorite movies, but seriously, it's not exactly the most well-known of licenses out there. I could think of SO many voice call-outs you could use for that game, though... How about an "A$$-F*ck Twins" two-ball? "Stunt-c*ck" add-a-ball? That's just the tip of that iceberg!

Ha!Dude!

"Stunt C8ck!", could be the ball save. It should be the really lethargic disinterested one, you know? You suck so bad the game has to bring in the stunt [email protected]

Hahaha! T-Rex BASH TOY!!!

Come on guys, come on. Do another 250! Everyone I know will buy one. Hell, I know a guy who'd sell his wife's wedding ring for one! That only another 244 or so left to go.

#363 7 years ago

Edited previous post. You'll find out why within the next few hours

So I don't get to see it? So I get punished!? Punished for paying attention to my sons? You guys hate my sons?

You're killing me. Killing me until I'm dead!

#391 7 years ago

If anyone would like to order the shirts we are wearing at the Chicago Expo you can head over to our website @ skitbpinball.com and hit the donate button. Donate $25 and include your name and shipping address. Make sure to include what size you would like in the comments.

As a preface, I'm not cheap nor callous, I'm just poor. Can donate the difference to what I already have? I know how this sounds, but, it's what I got. Sorry. :-/

EDIT: Is the red what will show up under the UVs?

#463 7 years ago

Was anyone getting video of the seminar?

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from KindOfRadNow:

Pbbbllbblllbbttt

Here's the thing, I've actually been waiting for someone to come out with something negatively critical to say about this game. Ok? I've never played it, I'll almost certainly not get the chance to do so before purchase and I absolutely, and literally, can NOT AFFORD to make a bad choice on this game. If it sucks, in fact, if it is anything less than one of my top five games ever, I've f^(ked myself hard. Negative reviews are almost always more informative than positive. In other words, I'm your audience! Me. I'm your demographic. I'm the guy ready to be receptive of your critique. I'm the guy who would have defended your opinion, bias and premeditated bullshit or not.

But unfortunately, you suck.

This is such an obviously canned, blunt and ham fisted attempt at nothing but smear it is less than worthless. You encourage dismissiveness instead of your intended divisiveness. Had you been creative and adult in your post I'd have listened. But, not only do you type and react like a jilted teenage girl, you admit to being a complete douche bag by grumpily muttering under your breath, instead of manning up and speaking your mind in person.

Known and stated temporary black ramps. Seriously? That's what you were able to come up with? You missed your chance and are an utter failure.

#518 7 years ago

Thank you.

#612 7 years ago

Predator only. 99% chance of on and only, ever.

#641 7 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

It was said somewhere, I believe, that it may be what is going to show up in the UV light.

To be clear, that was an assumption / guess I made that I do not believe has been confirmed.

#663 7 years ago

We were joking the other night about putting out a poll to decide our next license. I think the Big Lebowski would overtake Pulp Fiction by a lot, though

Don't tease me like that, man.

Actually, wait, tease me more.

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Come on guys ...an Elvira game should be next.
...Elvira & The Space Monsters

Please Christ on a cracker no more Elvira games. I love ya dude, but come on.

#674 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Don't even joke. I'd have to start a whole new pin-fund right this second!!

I know. Exactly.

I've been telling everyone I know that Predator is my one and only, ever. SkitB drops the Dude on me and I'm toast.

#677 7 years ago

Wait. So. Come on, seriously. Is this just like goofing around or is there more than a 5% chance this could be in the future.

You're killing me.

#690 7 years ago

Would really tie the game together.

Knock it off it you're not serious! I know you haven't said anything, but they way you're not saying anything is a lot like the signals I was getting that night in my car after tolo.

#705 7 years ago

High Plains Drifter would be pretty sweet. If you did RGB LEDs you could turn the whole table red.

#714 7 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Tilt warning- Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Lebowski would have to come with drink holders standard.

#721 7 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

I love the dude, but
Lebowski over pulp fiction. No way. Pulp wins in every department.

Except humor, dialog, music, script, acting, art, callout pool, demographics, mode choices, art packages, etc... I know I'm missing something.

Pulp Fiction does have Eric Stoltz though.

#724 7 years ago

Again, I'm not saying Pulp Fiction wouldn't be a good pin, nor am I saying it's a bad movie, but, Lebowski is not only probably the most perfect/easiest movie to pin port ever, but also one of the best movies of all time.

It does have less rape though. :-/

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I would worry about a buyer on a 5k pin not having $500 for a deposit at any moment.

There is no doubt that I can make the purchase price of this machine in but a couple weeks notice. However it will require liquidating assets that I would other wise not. I am not made of money (in most respects I am quite poor) but I will spend it on this machine. The above is unfair.

I'll make the 5% without a peep. But as others have suggested, more info would be very much appreciated, especially if you want us to go higher.

#927 7 years ago

#166 and have received no email.

#974 7 years ago

#166, home from vacation (seemed to have left in spring and returned home in winter), and still no email.

#1011 7 years ago

My vote is for something new, bad ass, less expensive and indestructible. My guess is you guy'll be able to tell if it'll past muster. Please don't go old school for nostalgia's sake, but if you do, go Sonic, not Williams.

Just sayin'...

#1049 7 years ago

Nerdification on that quote: "Ain't no way for no soldier to die."

If you're going to engrave something, make sure it's correct!

#1053 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Ha-ha your probablly right. I dont have it on dvd. Thanks

Nerdification on the above: No, not "probably" right. I'm a million times infinity right. Trust me.

#1086 7 years ago

That's mostly what we're going to focus on; flow of the overall game and how, as a player, you can control it. I've been fighting with this thing all night to get a decent game going and I'm just playing like crap, so I'm a little worried about doing a video with the *GASP!* glass on

Game must be flawed. Time to scrap and start over!

#1091 7 years ago

Wow, still haven't got my first.

I'll email you guys again.

#1123 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

That's "Ain't nobody got time for pinball".

Eh?

#1135 7 years ago

Sweet, finally got both emails.

I'm production #161 for #166. Damn, would have been cool to hit that on the head. I doubt we can swap production queue or I'd hit up my French compatriot jlm!

#1139 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I'll be happy to swap production #166 for #161... not much change anyway!
(except that if people drop out, I assume our production # will decrease accordingly ? so matching the two might be very difficult...)

Ha, yeah, I don't think it's happening on any case. Would be cool though.

#1230 7 years ago

Looks pretty damn fun. The 19th minute had me cheering out loud.

Some observations:

1) Slings and pops seem really reluctant to hit. Design intent? Personal taste?
1.5) There is now space for the ball to escape the pops to the upper left. That's new right? I actually like how the up above jungle trap area has shrunk, but with that escape and the tight pops, there's not much action up there right now. I might not be in the majority, but I do occasionally like to see a frantic jumble of pops going off.
2) Where's the UV?! Please God. Where's the UV!?
3) Must admit to mode confusion mentioned above.
4) Can't figure out what's going on with the reticule zooming in on the letters (usually 'N').

Looks great. I've got a raging nerd-on for that end of video teaser. Well done guys!

EDIT:
5) Forgot to mention another nitpick: Not crazy about the sound effects at Bonus count up. :-/

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

-The pops and slings did seem a little unresponsive. The slings only fired once or twice. There was also no sound effect for slings or pops as far as I could tell.

Thanks for that. Was wondering if I was seeing things or just over sensitive since I'm working on my pops right now.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

-The DMD needs to be more tied into the modes. On most games the DMD has some kind of animation/special-scoring/info that is mode specific and stays up during the mode. It's also usually followed by a total score for the mode or something like that, so you know it's over and know what you got out of it. -Brian

Yeah, that's a good point. That could be leading to people's mode confusion. The game is packed with modes and multis and to differentiate them with some persistent visual on the DMD would help not only inform the player but really sell how deep the game is.

EDIT: I like the look of the insert, uhm, 'stack'?, between the slings a lot. Anyone have any ideas how those are going to be demarcated? There's not much room there. I was thinking each of the yellow rectangles might be a character but there's not quite enough of them.

#1277 7 years ago

I don't know how those systems work, but, couldn't the code be identical and the DMD swap fix it? I mean the signal could be being sent to handle those 16 shades or whatever, and if the hardware can't hack it it'll just put up the best match with the four it has like a crap TV on a good signal.

#1302 7 years ago

Oh my god. The inserts are things like grenades and claymores!?

Ha. God damnit! I can't wait!!!

#1309 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I've been trying to figure out what those inserts would be for months! Very cool use of the Predator bomb gauntlet. And, it makes perfect sense with the player basically playing the role of the Predator. Nice work!

The pinball machine is the movie, not a character. There's modes, game play and art based on both "sides". Hence Killing Spree, Destroy the Camp, Catch the Girl, etc...

#1355 7 years ago

It is possible that as a non-profit PayPal will get less or no cut of this $250. I have a lot of PayPal experience, but none as a non-profit so this is pure speculation. Also, their rate will drop pretty quickly with the amount of money that's about to bomb them.

#1356 7 years ago

Great. Now 100 "paid" comments are coming...

Ha. Yeah playboy, you've always kept superfluous posts of the Predator threads...

#1379 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I was watching the video again...do you guys plan on having any pinball related call outs like...Arnold yelling Jackpot of extra ball? Or a narrator to help you during the game?

I will, and I mean this, pull my name from the project the second any half assed Arnold impersonator yells Jackpot at me. The governator himself? Well, I'll deal with it. But the voice work on Oz is an f'ing travesty and if I was given one by a rich benefactor I'd have to play it on mute. I pray to the hell of the horny dragon nothing like that happens here.

Not that I'm worried. It's not really SkitB's style.

#1383 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There is lots of talk of soundalikes for Avengers.... Arnold would be easy. You could probably hire a real decent one.

How much faith do you have that those will sound anything close to good? Oz's voice work is a train wreck. Almost everyone thinks they can do Arnold's voice, and in my experience, they're wrong.

Dillon's "goddamn jackpot" would be great, but, ha, with all these modes stacked up he might go horse.

All that said, there are sounds in this game I don't like at all, and the "Wah Wah Wah" jackpot is certainly one of them.

#1405 7 years ago

A couple of comments about the above:

1) $250 is not a trivial expense to a guy like me at Christmas time.
2) I did indeed hope to have seen art work / toys / warranty at this point. If it wasn't for the chance to opt out and get my money back when my spot fills, I might have had to drop or ask/beg for an extension.
3) SkitB has been nothing but supportive of, and transparent with, their customers.
4) I have very few doubts that this project will be completed.
5) I have very few doubts that it will take much longer than they are saying.
6) I don't think anyone should be encouraged, cajoled or begged to stick with the game: There are people anxious to get on the list. Let them go, get folks who really want in on board.

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

We're getting Long Tall Sally!? Awesome news!

It's was posted a LONG time ago in the DMD demo. Check out the website.

#1478 7 years ago

AKA Sulkie Stevie.

#1552 7 years ago

Anyone hear a resolution / decision on the possibility of Predator script on the plaque?

#1595 7 years ago

Ha!

On current topic. SkitB is ignoring requests for pics? Come on. When these guys get the time, they post. When these guys post, they DUMP information on us. So the art isn't done. We've got sketch after sketch as previews. I really don't want to disrespect a guy called pinballdad (of which I am certainly one myself) but I just don't get this at all. I'm not a fanboy, and I'm both a critical person by nature and by training, but I see no issue here at all.

When they get to a point to show off, they do so, relatively regularly. Not often, but regularly. This hasn't changed, they haven't gone silent, they're just not there yet. Big. F'ing. Deal.

#1644 7 years ago

I think it'll be funny when/if SktiB gets the time read all the above and replies, "Nope, sorry guys, not quite there yet" and instead of being disappointed we all feel the compulsion to cheer.

#1687 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This thread needs to be abandoned. We did get some info from Kevin, but its blown out the window immediately. It would be impossible for someone who doesn't live on pinside to get the info they want about Predator.
Skit-b also needs their own sub forum. Not sure when they qualify, but considering this is one of the biggest threads going on Pinside, there has to be a time when it makes sense.

This is solid truth. Plus, since I personally really like both gambit and el director then I wouldn't feel like I had to take sides.

2 weeks later
#1884 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

She's an ugly biatch anyways

Are you serious?!

#1911 7 years ago

Cazador vs. Hunter:

I think the distinction in her translation is actually better than the title of the movie. Dig? Because el cazador IS a recreational hunter. It's doesn't carry the same connotation as a predator (el depredador) which is hunting for food. She translates cazador as someone looking for trophies which is applicable and correct, while the title of the movie "Predator" which implies something looking for food, is by definition a misnomer.

After all, Billy says, "Like a hunter", not, "Like a predator".

If it sounded as cool, which it does not, the movie would have been called, "Hunter".

#1940 7 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Yeah, I keep focusing on the gun barrel, to me, something looks off. Maybe it's a little too skinny? I really love the overall art style though, it looks fantastic. I can't even imagine how awesome it's going to look when its colored and done.

The barrel is too long, and too skinny. It looks like a .17 hmr. Carry handle is OK size (probably a little small), it's just that you can't see ANY of the gun and the hands are not placed in a realistic way at all. They'd be sort of melding through the metal.

I really like the art with the following personal perception notes:

1) Hakwins looks like a generic comic book guy wearing glasses and very little like the character.
2) Dutch is suffering from serious comic book 2D flat face syndrome. That can and very probably will change dramatically in coloring.
3) Poncho looks fucking awesome.
4) Mac. Well, Mac looks even less like Mac than Hawkins looks like Hawkins. A big thing for me is his lips. They look about half size at most. I know, I know, giving a dark guy big lips in art is asking for some hyper sensitive a-hole to come shit on you, but seriously, it's defining: The brother's got big 'ol wonderfully expressive mega huge lips. Go ahead and try and tell me, "Past the trees", ain't ten times cooler just cause of Bill Duke's mouth.
5) Speaking of Mac, just from the standpoint of balance, isn't it kind of funny to have Dillon, a pretty dark skinned brother himself, on the same side of the picture and adjacent to Mac who's all but invisibly black? Ha. I think I'd have gotten a 'D' in high school art for that. Thank god we're not in high school!

Anyway, just my thoughts. The art has me giddy and I'm sure my friends/family is getting tired of me sending them email updates.

#1947 7 years ago

Ok I wasnt trying to be a dick.

Who's being a dick? No one's being a dick. Look, this is the process, art design isn't, "Hey, we asked for something, you gave us this, and we print it." It's just how design works. I don't think anyone is being a dick about this great art at all.

Dutch's face has always been flat, but the ink really emphasized that. You lose depth and texture from pencil to ink and pick it back up in color.

#1949 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Seriously, everybody, chill out. Yeah, I think there is something a bit off on the gun and the way Arnie's holding it, but that's why it's ART. Its not a photoshopped piece of crap, it's a hand drawn, artistic rendering. What makes it awesome and all art for that matter is its human and not perfect. In summary, quit 'cherbitchin and appreciate it for what it is.

Damnit. Who here's bitching? Good lord.

#1954 7 years ago

I love all the input coming in about the artwork and I know James does too, but this comment kinda broke my heart a little bit. I know it's totally personal taste at this point, but I just have to say I absolutely love how Hawkins looks on the pf.

Ha. I'm a stone cold heart breaker man. I think Hawkins is a great drawing, I just don't see Hawkins. Could be... it could just be that I'm crazy. I think they're great likenesses with the exception of him and Mac. Mac could go either way though after the ink.

Quoted from T-800:

Did you just ignore a good chunk of the previous posts or just happen to not read them? I just don't wanna see this thread turn into a "this is what the artist should do" thread.

I read every word and I didn't see anyone bitch a single time. I saw people comment that the gun's barrel looked wrong, and that gun's body looked wrong and that Dutch's hands looked off, that sort of thing. How any of that is bitching I don't get. No one was threatening to cancel their machine, blacklist SkitB, etc... In fact, the first bitchy thing I saw on the topic was you telling people to stop bitching.

#1957 7 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I think Hawkins looks like...Hawkins. I didn't realize he went on to write Lethal Weapon, along with doing some other great things. Sweet.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000948/

He was actually hired to re-write the movie I think. Didn't, but that was the original gig.

#1966 7 years ago

Wow. Hope none of these folks with their undies in a knot never work in any kind of design field. Yeah, I admit, when I first started in web and icon design I got all huffy when a client had anything but blow jobs to hand out for my WIPs and comps, but I grew up real fast.

For what it's worth, shoulder looks fine to me.

#1983 7 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

I feel vindicated. James Dubay is a true professional & Skit-B has chosen well.

Must be weird for people who don't understand this kind of process to find something like this out. I mean in general. I do feel James is going above and beyond since his client is SkitB, not the Pinside forum, but it just amazes me people think the world works in this polarized, good/bad, white/black, fan/hater paradigm. What do they think "Work In Progress" means anyway?

This playfield is going to be straight up epic.

#1991 7 years ago

That means we can flood the playfield any color we want whenever we want.

So sexy. I mean. Damn it. Right? Just sexy. *sigh* I know you're just a few plump, scraggly faced dudes in hoodies and sports jerseys freezing your ass off in Michigan, but the game you guys are putting together is like Christina Hendricks, Famke Jansen, Gina Gershon, Monica Bellucci and Ronda Rousey wearing pirate wench, witch hunter, naughty nun, devil woman and Princess Leia slave girl Halloween costumes (respectively).

And if the above gives you too much information into my soul, well, I just don't give a damn.

#2001 7 years ago
Quoted from Hoss-Woods:

"I'm gonna be in my bunk..." Jayne, Firefly

Oh shit. That's the hint! That's the clue guys! SkitB #2 is fucking FIREFLY!!!!!!! Heard it here first, deciphered by my code breaker and delivered unto you.

Sorry kids, no college for you.

Smuggler's Run Multiball.
Collect the crew! "Jayne is a girl's name", "She's a whore Shepherd", "Someone tries to kill you, you try an' kill 'em right back", "I can kill you with my brain", "I was fired from a fry-cook opportunity", "We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."
Vera Multiball!
Jaynetown Multiball.
Train Job.

Oh man. Thanks guys. Good choice.

#2020 7 years ago

But enough about FireFly for now, guys. I love the excitement, but I've got people already emailing me about it and, of course, we can't comment about next game themes and such. It's certainly fun, but let's not get too carried away

People are emailing you? Ha. I'm sorry. :-/

It was a joke people. Come on.

#2076 7 years ago

We REALLY wanted to hearken towards our next game

Harken to the next game in the playfield art on Predator!?

Must be Heart of Darkness. Or Bridge on the River Kwai.

#2087 7 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I love SciFi and am watching Serenity due to the favorable comments earlier on the thread. I am about 30 minutes into it, and I am not getting it. Seems generic and pretty uninspired. Is it a slow starter?
Dan

Under no circumstances should you watch Serenity before watching every episode of Firefly.

It's available for free on most streaming services, and Netflix.

#2110 7 years ago

I'm an occasional chatter on this tread and even I think it's out of hand. Combine this with the last and I believe there's more than 3500 posts. It would sure be nice to have a folder or whatever for SkitB's stuff so that they could post updates to their own thread that no one else (like me) could sully.

#2126 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Kevin, If it's not too much trouble, could you take a pic of the prototype with the clear ramps attached. I don't know if it's because of the lighting or the angle of the video and the black ramps in the latter video, but I can not get a feel for what the game will look like.
Something like this pic with ramps and side targets attached. Also how does the hole on the right side work, is it similar to the arcade hole on Tron? I just noticed a second hole further up on the right side on the inner loop is that on the playing game as well?

The hole mid-field on the right is an eject only for the scoop below it. Not sure what that one is called, but on the white board above (which I believe is a couple of iterations old now) the inserts for that shot are light green, yellow, big red arrow. The upper right cut out is the "Jungle Hole" and I think it is the main mode start. It's a vertical kicker.

EDIT: I think.

#2134 7 years ago

A few minutes he says. Tsk, tsk.

Sad navajas.

#2144 7 years ago

So, those ramps. They're longer than they will be. Are they also wider? Currently the ball sort of wanders around as it travels the path and looks, I don't know, I don't want to say "sloppy" but, inelegant maybe? Are they going to narrow up to give more of a snappy ride?

I'm guessing the mystery award will have some animation to go with it?

Finally, good work! Looks absolutely bad ass. Love the UV lamps right now, especially that extended look at it. Just when you're getting used to how it looks, WHAM, full color again. Way fucking cool.

#2155 7 years ago

Yep again. Predator dialing in a command on his gauntlet is still going to be used for the general mystery award animation, but of course it will be "prettied up" before we're done.

Oh awesome. Ha. I was trying to think what to do there and I didn't come up with that. It's perfect! Good job.

#2176 7 years ago

Is the jackpot noise still the "wanh wanh wanh" deal? If so, yeah, I don't like it much. Doesn't sound gritty, or edgy, or jungley, or unique... It sounds like a jackpot for a carwash themed machine or ice cream parlor something.

It stands out a whole lot for me because it's the only sound I don't like / seems so out of place. Dude's are screaming, getting disembowled, miniguns going off, shit blowing up and then... "wanh wanh wanh"!

Haha. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

#2206 7 years ago

Yes, the decision was that the Defense Department appropriated all Predator playfield IP for use as an extra layer of ablative armor on Abrams MBTs at a cost to tax payers of $38,791 per sheet.

#2225 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I say NO Phooglass in Predator please! Regular glass is just fine.
Phoog does not fit the SkitB mentality and he spams the forum for his product (which is not that great IMHO and not even close to PDI/Iglass) all while bashing his competitors.
Sorry Tiger, but I very much disagree with your advice on this one!
Just source some good quality regular tempered glass from MI. End users can upgrade to the real deal PDI or Invisiglass if they see the need.

Is there a four way comparison image / video of these products? My collection is always going to be very small and I had planned on buying a sheet of Invisiglass for Predator and swapping out the old scratched up shitty glass on Space Shuttle with its stock glass. I was a Invisi-skeptic before I saw some side by sides. A line up of four of these sheets would be really helpful.

#2276 7 years ago

Not very likely I know it's right in our backyard (front yard?), but the prototype isn't even in playable condition right now as it is going through a pretty big overhaul for the next few weeks.
On another note, I just had one of those "holy sh*t, you guys have got to see this" moments.

Oh, hell yeah!

#2287 7 years ago

It's awesome, but, what the hell am I going to do with thing in my house of seven and four year old boys? :-/ Maybe development will take another 8 or so years?!

2 weeks later
#2364 7 years ago

As far as the theme for game #2, all we can say is that it is a pretty major departure from the Predator in many ways.

I Love Lucy?

EDIT: If you guys drop a Lebowski bomb on me after I shell out $5k+ for Predator, you will be some of my favorite people ever, and I'll hate you till I die.

#2378 7 years ago
Quoted from daley:

I actually think that could be an awesome pinball. You would have a lot of different elements to work with. I could totally see a dozers ramp.

Underground playfield for sure. Trash heap scoop. Hey, anyone else mesmerized as a child by the Trash Heap's massive floppy breasts?

#2421 7 years ago

Lebowski wouldn't get me out of Predator, but it would certainly bankrupt me. There's just no way I'd be able to pass.

That brings something up I guess. Hey SkitB, unless #2 is Lebowski (or maybe Firefly...), I've got to pass on it. Let's say for arguments' sake, #3 IS Lebowski (or Firefly or something else irresistible). If I pass on #2 would I still get a priority request to get on the list for #3 or would I be shit out of luck for missing the tweener?

#2458 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

6) Shots and combos to replenish resources (water, food, fuel), except for Booze & Cigarettes which they never ran out of.

This was simply a result of good emergency rationing: Had they run out of booze Tigh would have jumped them into a black hole.

#2514 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Good luck bud. Its 250.00 down with 2250 when they start making yours and another 2250 before they ship. 4750.00 total.

This is not yet official, though every time they mention price they've said they're still at the under $5k target.

I expect we'll know more in a day or three.

#2518 7 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

what is going on in a day or three? did I miss something?

Yes. You missed me not knowing what month it is. :-/

#2524 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Dude! I just recorded TBL and will FINALLY watch it this weekend!

Isn't that like a sci-fi writer never having read Bradbury? An anthropologist who's never heard of Richard Leaky? Or, uhm, a 17 year old boy who's never laid eyes on Gianna Michaels?

#2533 6 years ago

I think you're over reacting pinballdad. I don't fault anyone for their opinions, I think what irked people was that he said Skit-B needed to get their shit together, hinted at some personal slight or maltreatment, and then refused to describe it. It very much seemed like he got exactly out of his post what he wanted: Stir the shit, get people pissed at him, sit back and have people beg to know his secret dirt.

Whatever. I was 10x more annoyed at the affect than the statement. You know? He has a grievance with Skit-B? Fine. But if it's your own secret private burden and you have no intention of telling anyone what it is, why broadcast it to the forum? I'll tell you why: To engender the exact response he received.

I don't mind you one bit, and I think monkey putting you on ignore is likewise an overreaction, but I think you're reaching here.

#2538 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Hey nava. Ok...let's be cool here. I am cool here with you. However, if...if...I backread and copy paste from Dec/2012...trust me friend. I have backread already and took a 1 month break from pinside already because of it...if I copy/paste from back then, Marc is going to come out looking like a real hero here. I don't care about me...Marc will shine though. This thread cannot digest and discuss anything remotely non-mainstream "Fan-Boy" related. It is sad and I can back up what I am saying here...sadly
Peace man...were ok

I'm not a fanboy though man, I'm not. I've said shit straight up and plain that goes against the rah rah flag wavers, but I do it without pretense. Yeah, I got jumped for making some critiques of the art on the filed, but I explained myself and let the fan boy crap slide. I didn't make a big drama dump about it though and not a day later the f'ing artist came in and supported what I said. That shut the "All or nothing//black or white" crowd right up. If I remember, Skit-B came in and said what you typed was above the belt.

Folks just need to be not so reactionary on both sides.

EDIT: GO SOUNDERS!
EDIT 2: Damnit.

#2550 6 years ago

Imagine if a Nazi soldier spoke out against Hitler at a rally in the early 40's. That soldier would be right in doing so (obviously), but imagine the sh*tstorm he would have faced after doing so. A pretty strong analogy, but I think it works.

This just in: Skit-B thinks its fanboys are Nazis.

*sigh*
And because I've gotten in trouble in the past for assuming what I type is understood to be satire: The above is an f'ing joke people. Ha!

#2563 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just watched TBL! It was fun! Sorry to say, not one of my favorites. Comedy-wise, I'm more into Brooks and Allen rather than Cheech & Chung. But I DID almost spit my beer when the ashes flew back on Bridges! ...and I learned NEVER to f$©k a friend in the a$$ !

There's a lot more going on in that movie than Cheech and Chong dude. I suggest you let it sit a while and watch it again. It's one of those films that gets better every single time you watch it. I was pretty ambivalent on it the first time but I think it is the defining career achievement of Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and the Cohens. I saw one kid from Europe on these boards say he didn't like it because it was too much like a Farely brothers movie and I almost reached though the screen to choke him out.

#2594 6 years ago
Quoted from Montu32:

Was sure 28 new posts must have been the long awaited update I was waiting for,guess not lol!!!

I thought there was an update but all there was were a bunch of people complaining there was no update.

1 week later
#2643 6 years ago

Is that the third or fourth time around for this image on a Predator thread? April can't get here fast enough. We need some new material. :-/

#2648 6 years ago

Is that Predator...listening to an iPod??

Yes. And it's dubstep.

#2679 6 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Kevin...code complete, great art and toys that are interactive = Great Pin! I don't think all of us are too worried if it strays a bit over the estimated $4750 it is still much lower than the other new pins coming out.

This man is correct.

However, do not listen to him.

1 week later
#2721 6 years ago

Wow... hmm... pinball machine or giant plastic action figure. Hmm.

I think I'll go with the pinball machine.

#2751 6 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Yep, I'm in the same position. Here's hoping I made it.

If you don't make it, you can always play one in Sequim.

EDIT: Anyone else keenly aware of how soon April happens?

#2813 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I hate to ask, but could you post any teaser pic for Predator, such as a toy or whatnot?

My seven and four year old sons are jumping up and down waiting for Easter too.

#2814 6 years ago

Random distraction: The Duck Hunt.
» YouTube video

So cool! That would ease things over with my family: Super grown up game in Predator, one for the boys with Duck Hunt.

When do they ship?!

Also, what's to its right?

#2821 6 years ago

They don't, I'm afraid. This is just a one-off silly retheme to keep around the house and maybe take with us to a show or two. If I ever have to deal with Nintendo's licensing, you'll see something way more prevalent than the 1/3 of the pack-in game that came with their first American console back in the mid-80's.

Oh I know. Would still be cool to include a batch of Duck Hunt pins in the goodie bags. If you don't, my kids will be playing Predator and you'll be contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Just sayin'.

#2844 6 years ago

It's March 31, Easter, or as we in Predator land call it, April Eve.

Just sayin'.

#2888 6 years ago

I propose a moratorium on this thread until SkitB shows up with their huge update starting right after I click...

#2892 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I propose a moratorium on this thread until SkitB shows up with their huge update starting right after I click...

*Sigh*

Ok, one more try. I propose a moratorium on this thread until SkitB shows up with their huge update starting right after I click...

#2901 6 years ago

Fuck you guys, I'm going home.

#2921 6 years ago

Yeah for real. Just because they have art to show us, even if it's the whole field, doesn't mean they'd have a populated game to play, you know? Big difference that.

Personally I'm confused by the placement of that body, but whatever, I'll wait to find out what's up before thinking too much about it.

#2954 6 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

"It looks tits" Is that a strange American expression? I'm hoping it means good rather than crap!
Looking forward to the photos of the playfield

Tits are always awesome. Well, except fake tits, those are blasphemy. But "tits" implies real tits, simply by omission of qualifier, and therefore, also implies awesome. Little, big, round, hemispherical, heavy, perky, squashy, firm, pointy, hangy, all awesome. Therefore, the artwork is also all kinds of awesome.

You want to get into strange phrases, sayings and idioms, let's talk about, "Smoking a fag", "Spotted Dick", "Bob's your Uncle", and, "I'm on the piss".

Just sayin'.

#2958 6 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

And here I am stupidly thinking there is going to be an update, and all I find is tit discussion. Sigh... men.

Now blondetall, you of all people would not want men to suddenly stop being fascinated with boobs. As my Mom always says, "What can you do? It's survival of the species. We made them this way."

#2960 6 years ago

I don't know, you might be able to get some extra leverage into a nudge or something.

#2972 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm sure they want to unveil the playfield art at their seminar. I do hope that pics are shared with us soon after that happens. We have many buyers on Pinside and we all know how impatient us pinheads can be.

If I get time after the next big update I may start a thread reporting the information on the machine and keeping it closed from comments. That is of course if some of you would want me to otherwise I won't waste the time.

Yes please!

#2982 6 years ago

If that's 7" of cleavage I've got 10" of something else.

And I don't.

Anyone else checking this site four times an hour today?

#2995 6 years ago

/\/3\/\/b! Look at your URL bar. See page/60 at the top? Change it to page/45.

#2997 6 years ago

Not really. I was a freelance web designer for a few years.

EDIT: Actually, that has some relevance here because, guess who got word of a past client looking to update their high end fancy smancy interior design website long about, oh, I don't know, a week or so after I found out about Predator? That's right, this guy. And guess what this guy right here quoted them it would cost for said website? That's right, Cost = P - (money already saved for pinball).

#3002 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

probably abot a D cup myself, we could share undies!

You're gunna need a bigger boat dude.
EDIT:

Quoted from jlm33:OK ... time for bed. Sweet Predator/Cleavage dreams expected.
Hope to wake up with 100+ new posts and great news...

Please try and keep those dreams separate. My best friend's dual citizenship French, I know how f'ed up and twisted you people can be.

#3014 6 years ago

Digesting.

Need much closer, much higher res!

#3017 6 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Looks good.... Who will be the first to complain?

Me. Flatish (edit) monochromatic red skull seems a little weird. Figured Yoric'd be more gory with little bits and such.

Happy?

EDIT: The mid-field feels just a touch empty, very likely a non-issue once populated. Other than that, I really like the use of color. Even un-lit there's a lot of nice contrast. Can't wait to see a better image!

EDIT: Everyone is so used to endless wave of bullshit in this thread. I think it's hilarious it's been up 13 minutes with so little comment!

#3020 6 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I am looking at the SkitB FB page and see nothing. Help?

Nothing there that isn't here.

Except more pics of Duck Hunt!

#3025 6 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Im confident and hopeful that this playfield art will be tweaked MANY times and that everyones suggestions are all taken into consideration before the trigger is pulled on the final design. Now lets see some hi res close ups!!

The artist has taken every comment to heart and in stride so far. Don't see a reason that would stop. The more I look at it, the more that skull seems weird, especially next to the visceral imagery of the bodies a couple inches north west of it. It's almost hiding.

Must reiterate, over all very cool. Love the dark blue background choice with the yellow/orange explosions. I'm utterly ignorant of process here: Does text and number come later? I'm missing that "WOW: Pinball!!! MFers!" factor as kmoore admits, and I wonder if that is due to all the little missing tips and scores and shit.

#3037 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

How do you mean weird? It's straight from the movie..the Predator palming the human skull...admiring his trophy.

I seriously don't need to be told anything about Predator. The line drawing is great, the color is flat and seems out of place. It doesn't look like bone all gory and bloody, it looks like it's been dipped in DQ Cherry Dilly Bar shell. Or like it's made of red almond bark. Or like he's just beheaded Red Skull from Captain American. Or something.

#3044 6 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Did some quick cleanup on the photos.

Thanks man, that helps a lot. Man the lower half of the playfield is f'ing gorgeous. That skull is still odd, in your image it looks like a tootsie pop. But I'm pleasantly surprised at the color on the figures and that's not easy to do. Love Mac's expression! He's a little light, but, that brother's damn near jet black so...

Quoted from kvan99:

I'm imagining it with some plastics that look like trees and brush....ala special forces. The only thing I can say is it needs a little more red..

I think the palette is spot f'ing on. It looks dark and hidden. I love the (sparsley used and very dark) blue. There's probably 15 minutes of Predator that is JUST blue and black during the POV shots, and this calls that to mind especially well. Keep in mind the black light stuff, remember? Lighting is going to make this whole field POP.

EDIT: HA! Ok, so, as I spent numerous years in web/graphic design, I have to give the artist props for just saying, "Ah.... fuck it" with that branch in front of Dutch's right hand!

#3074 6 years ago

Oh God, seriously? What is that now, 4th or 5th time?

#3097 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That pic should be right in the middle of the play field!

Glad you're a buyer, not the designer!

Filling in those blue spots with plastics which will obviously have green jungle art on them will hopefully satisfy the (to me, inexplicably bizarre) folks who would want it to look more like Special Force. There's a lot of those spots. Take a gander.

As for 80s? Yep, like I said what, almost a year ago, the whole pin, from layout to theme to play felt like, "What if this pin had been made back then when the movie came out, but with modern tech?" I think it's fucking-A perfect. At least the bottom half. And not that flat cherry red skull.

I still can't figure out what I think about the upper half, especially the middle, which seems sparse, BUT, there's so much there to be populated it's pointless to speculate. The palette however, is perfect, and WORLD'S better for this machine than Special Force. I can't wait to see it lit.

#3104 6 years ago

You know, hopefully the artist is reading this, because two of the critiques I had when the first batch of drawings hit were; A) Dutch's head suffering from serious "flat face" comic syndrome, and; B) Mac's tiny lips. I said that I thought Dutch's flat 2D face would be addressed with color, but, DAMN ME, I did not think it would be that good. Dutch's face is a masterpiece. And, of tertiary importance, Mac's majestic lips got the respect they deserve.

Cheers man! Well, well done.

(No one's going to notice that branch hiding Dutch's hand because his face is so awesome!)

EDIT: OOooo, posted right as I did!

Blondetall: feed guys breast handled with care

You dirty bastard, Kevin.

#3112 6 years ago

I wonder if the guides and sling plastics will have art overlay?

I think Dutch's shoulders look fine.

I can't imagine that skull is staying like that.

I hadn't noticed that insert behind Dutch's head. That would be a crime because I have a serious man crush on that part of the field.

#3113 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Lol...Bizzare? I guess most of us are bizarre then..the movie is set in a jungle, to forgo that atmosphere would have been unforgivable, also I certainly hope the art would be better than SF, that game was from Bally's lost years in the 80's, with that said for that era the overall look,ramps and the plastic canopy in that game deserves special applause. Last thing, with the UV paint most of us will be playing this game with the lights off...

You say you love the art, but disagree I think you'd be mad to want it to look more like Special Force? I don't get it. The palette is perfect, you said so yourself, and the populated field will undoubtedly have jungly shit on them. What are we not communicating to each other? I'm not saying Special Force is bad, I'm saying I don't want Predator to look like it.

#3119 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

sorry but i don't agree, i understand the perspective he wants to give to the main character but the way i see it, it's too far away from his neck.

You don't have to be sorry to disagree with me.

EDIT: I should note, I understand what you folks are seeing, but for whatever reason it's not an issue with me. I think it's pretty clear the drawing is a mash up of at least these two stills:
http://entertainmentmongers.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/10104031aarnold-schwarzenegger-predator-posters.jpg

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/p/r/e/predator-1987-07-g.jpg

The general set of the pose is in the second, as is the grip on the gun, but the shirt off look and the set of the shoulders are from the first. Note the squared flex of the forward shoulder. The combination of the two poses, one basically at rest, the other flexed might be adding to the unnatural look some folks are seeing. If I still had Photoshop I'd do a quick alpha reduction overlay to compare the two.

The forward shoulder has a bit of extra meat on it, I see it, but... I don't know. Seems like heroic perspective to me I guess. I'd not be disappointed to see it trimmed a bit, but I'd way rather see that skull recolored and the insert above his head missed.

#3141 6 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

I agree that there should be more art of the Predator himself, but I figure maybe that will show up on the plastics or elsewhere?
I don't agree at all that it looks like Data East art. Data East art is much more stark and crude. This has much more detail.
But speaking of DE art, this is worth watching if only for a laugh at the narcissistic tool responsible for it: » YouTube video

He'll be played by Gene Wilder in the musical about his awesome life. "This was back in the 90s, before computers."

The palette, depth and richness of color here is better than any Data East game I remember. And I like Data East games just fine.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the sort of dismissive (if that's how it's intended) "look like Data East" comments annoy me. Apart from being hand drawn, there's nothing even similar about the two styles. Not lines, not depth, not stroke, sure as hell not color.

Quoted from Cursed:

Agree with the majority of comments here.
1. Red skull needs to be white
2. Arnies right (our left) shoulder needs to be fixed
3. I would also like to see more than one shot of the Predator on the playfield.
I do like the overall look though.

I could be wrong, but I think everyone who has a problem is talking about the forward shoulder, Dutch's left, our right.

#3145 6 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I think I just realized something I hope to be true. A lot of people seem to think the skull seems wrong in the bottom and what happened to Predator choking or facing Arnold as we saw some sketches before starting to show. Like in this sketch.
Now what if that skull is in fact Arnold's and the UV light will show the extra artwork and his face will be over the skull? Sort of uv light is reality and what we see here is what the Predator is envisioning

Damn. That's a cool idea, but wouldn't it work better thematically the other way around? Dutch on the playfield, turns to skull outline in the UV?

#3164 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

That dude is so arrogant. I never knew he did LAH for Arnold. Also his neighbor slash came to him for GNR. Must have been an important character. At least he thought so.

The funny thing about that is I used to live and work pretty close to Duff. We chatted when he came in to buy groceries and such. I think I'll go make a video about the time I helped him pick meat for his Bar-B-Que.

"So, my good pal Duff came into the store one day, and said, MAN I'm having a fuck off huge grill party but I just don't know what meat to get. So, yeah, I invented right there on the spot, pork butt. True story."

#3166 6 years ago

Man, Hopper must have worked out at the same gym Dutch did!

#3171 6 years ago

About the Tootsie Pop skull: You think that "worm" is just supposed to be goopy bits from the scalp? I just can't figure out what he'd be going for with a worm on the skull. It's not BHZA, eh what? Really does sort of look like worms and flies instead of assorted nasty ass viscera though. Also, look at the hand holding it and compare it to the Predator to the right. I wonder if this part of the playfield is actually not even done. Maybe slightly rushed version for the show/reveal?

#3174 6 years ago
Quoted from vster23:

Lots of people criticizing the unfinished product! I hope Skit-b remembers this Abraham Lincoln quote when it comes to building Predator.
"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

So far I've read only a couple people doing what modern folks have come to term, "criticize". Everyone else is providing feedback and critique, which has been repeatedly welcomed and encouraged by both SkitB and the artist in the past.

Quoted from kvan99:

Hmmm...As long as were nit picking, me thinks the dead bodies should be a little more slimmer, more like dead decomposing bodies..the head some how does not mesh with the bodies too well...of they're to be hung upside down, then the arms should be closer together. Right now they look like they're surrendering.

I thought so too (the kick is GOOD!), but check out the picture of the prototype dangling a page back. Actually looks pretty natural upside down. I guess the arms could be hanging straighter under gravity, but he also might be posed in order to interact with the ball better.

#3184 6 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

As to slimming down the bodies, there was a reason why I did not do that. I wanted to body to be that of one of Arnolds team. Not the skinny villagers that where picked off. Seeing as Arnolds team where well built guys they would have more muscle.

Since I'm such a nerd for this movie, and though like I said right before your post, the models DO look quite natural when hanging upside down (which I just tried and you're right), I can't resist pointing out that the skinned bodies hanging from the trees were Jim Hopper's team, not Ducth's and definitely not villagers. (A Predator wouldn't hunt skinny villagers in any case.)

Regardless, they look great!

#3193 6 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

Love that it is hand drawn. Palette is spot on. 80’s retro feel, check! I am so pumped. The following is simply my $0.02 of nitpicking:
Arnold’s Shoulder & the Rest of “The Gang”
Listen the shoulder just looks…well, “wrong.” I think we all know it. Perspective is off, it’s just doesn’t feel right. It’s all I see now when I look at the playfield. In fact the perspective of all of the characters feels a bit off - relative to one another. It looks like a bunch of random shots of each character trying to be tied into one scene. i.e. Blain falls completely flat when compared to Dutch.

I get that, but I still love it. Plus, typically in compositions, no one should standout as much as the main character.

Quoted from molspin:

Too many explosions?

Heresy.

Quoted from molspin:

Predators Laser Sight
I was hoping to see the infamous three dot laser sight up represented somewhere, perhaps up one of the ramps. I especially thought that this would look cool and play well with the hunt mode. Perhaps there is a lighting effect up Skit-B’s sleeve that they’ve yet to reveal.

I'll eat a pig's balls if those don't pop up somewhere in the game.

Quoted from molspin:

Too much Blue?
I think this blue will tie into the playfield quite well with the lighting. …and for those of you worried about color coordination, look how much blue is in the translite art.

I find this critique crazy. Most of the "too much" blue is where scoops and plastic and ramps and such go. Plus, as I said earlier, it looks awesome with the palette and every POV shot in the movie is black and blue with what? Orange red and yellow contrast. It's perfect.

Quoted from molspin:

Red Skull
It’s definitely red. I wouldn’t call it bloody, I don’t know what I’d call it. I wish it was a bloody, white skull, but it stands out like a sore thumb as is. Perhaps there is more to it that we’re not hearing yet, but it’s definitely not my favorite part of the playfield.

+100
And what's weird is it stands out like a sore thumb by almost being hard to see it's so flat.

Quoted from molspin:

Green Blood on (right) Outlane
I was thinking that having green blood down one of the outlanes (right side) would be cool!

That would be cool. I wonder what colors this UV ink can do?

#3202 6 years ago

I think there are enough comments on the art. None of us know if it's finalized or not.

Actually, unless SkitB's goofing on us, I think all of us know it ISN'T finalized. And it's been almost five months since the last big update: I don't think anyone would begrudge us a couple pages of discussion!

#3205 6 years ago

I've always thought of the UV stuff just being extra purply lines that glow under the lamp, but I don't know. Anyone familiar with this kind of stuff care to speculate? I figured it would be something like Predatory head's up display script / targeting lines, like the recital, and such. Maybe have the team pics in the middle replaced with skulls / skeletons? I assume we'll be able to see traces of the UV stuff regardless, like one of those little kid puzzles where you can make out the glowy bits even in the light?

But if you can actually do transparent under normal light, but color under UV? Man that'd be rad. You could wash the whole thing to look JUST like the IR POV shots like one of those black light mini-golf courses.
http://www.tiktocs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/05_Tik-Tocs-Octopus.jpg

Beats me. Can't wait!

#3209 6 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

The Predator will hunt anyone as long as they are armed. He would have killed the girl if she picked up a weapon, and he massacred a whole subway of people in the second one. Including an old lady. He doesn't care if you're skinny or not, as long as you're armed.

I suppose that goes into what you consider canon. The one in the second movie is supposed to be young and trying to prove himself (and according to sources like Dark Horse, not necessarily doing a very good job). If you're skinny and a threat, sure they'd kill you, but, "villagers" doesn't exactly imply threat. When I hear "skinny villager" I think of a 115lb bean farmer with a hoe and a sun hat, not exactly a trophy worth bragging about back home. If the one in the second movie had come back to the ship with a kid's head as a trophy, armed or not, he may have gotten his ass kicked for being a pussy. (In the first Aliens vs. Predator by Dark Hourse one gets gutted by his elder for having a juvenile's skull in his trophy sack. He didn't stop to ask if the kid was armed or not.)

The hunter in the first movie is a seasoned old school veteran. The reason he's after Hopper and Dutch's teams is that they are such good trophies. He's got a serious hard on for Dutch's team after he sees them wipe out that armed camp.

#3220 6 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I am glad they got all the characters in.

Except Anna.

#3241 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

ok, here is the apron from the pic of the game at expo if you like this better.

Way cool, but man, I hope something is way off or the center target inserts are going to be square in the middle of Dutch's head.

#3250 6 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

If two guys in their garage can do this well...there should be a boom of home brew pin manufacturing. If you give them a generous 25% margin after all costs they could do better than just a living and should therefore stay motivated. They will not have any trouble selling 250 games. Their price point is superior to their competition. Their competition cannot match their price point under any circumstances. (The Stern Pro maybe? if prices were to stabilize) Until there is competition at their price point they will play alone. Production will not become an issue until/unless they reach and try to produce (insert number). They need long term plans.
Why not build custom pins for collectors? TBL has a market apparently. From a manufacturing sales standpoint I would much rather produce something that was pre-ordered and pre-paid. I would take the no risk approach on theming for sure. No guessing. Start a thread asking what do y'all want next? If 250 buyers are willing to pony up for a theme, make it.
Still, not one has shown up, new home-brew pins I mean. When I have one in my gameroom that says SkitB there will be much rejoicing.

They're cool guys with a unique business model. I'd have tried to support it even if their first machine wasn't one of my all time favorite movies. Man do I hope they succeed, and I mean really just blow it up. It's hard to believe that the big boys wouldn't take notice if this machine rocks at >$5k. I hope to hell the market and buyers take notice as well, you know? If you can get on a list for high quality brand new machines for less than five bills, doesn't it make it harder to stand in line for $8k? Does buying that 20 year old routed a-list beater for five grand start to not make as much sense?

Cue Well of Souls music, "AAAaaahhhhaahaahahhaaaaaa", SkitB can: ---> CHANGE THE WORLD! <---

Kneel!

#3282 6 years ago

Seeing the better resolution makes a big difference for me on two points: The lower half looks even better, and, well... I guess I have to admit the upper half, especially the middle region's huts and explosions, look sort of mailed in. I haven't changed my opinion of the colors, but even the detail on those huts/explosions isn't up to the table own's standards on, say, the loop shots.

I wonder if stuff like that and the Predator's hand are part of the unfinished stuff?

#3301 6 years ago

Wow, that is really cool.

Glad to hear about that red skull too!

Looking forward to seeing what the art looks like "darker". Man, so exciting. Does the few days thing mean I can/have to stop checking this thread for updates from the show or is that a few days for the next art version to be delievered to SkitB?

#3304 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree.
Nice realistic elements but don't exactly fit with the overly cartoonish art.

Can someone explain to me the "cartoonish" opinions? Is it just the huts and their attendant explosions? Because I agree there, those do look sort of cartoony. In fact, they even look sort of lampoony. But the entire bottom half? That just looks hand drawn to me. Do you think that looks soft, or happy too? The Predator himself looks wicked and mean, the team just looks, like the team.

#3317 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Someone earlier talked about the playfield looking retro... but retro games don't have realistic skinned bodies and spines and skulls.... so there is some split personality going on.
If I were to offer my humble opinion, that would be to push the art more into the realistic world, make this game look like an R-rated pin, just as the movie is r-rated. Won't be for everyone, but they aren't trying to sell it to everyone, and that bridge has been crossed with the toys.

I don't think they look like charicatures, I think they look fairly realistic, but I can totally see where this is coming from, especially the gritty realism of the toys vs. the look of the art. Does everyone who thinks it looks "cartoony" think the same of the Predator or is he OK?

Hmm. Good points all.

#3322 6 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

You are the Predator on the hunt. Anna wasn't hunted. I could maybe see her on a plastic wiping some green blood off of a leaf, other than that...I'm cool without having her mug in there.

You play both sides. One of the modes is to destroy the camp. I think it's like you're playing the movie as a whole, not one side. I'd love to see Anna somewhere, but a plastic hiding out looking at a green bloody leaf or whatever would be just fine.