View topic image gallery

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Production information: We expect the start producing our first handful of machines within the next month or two, meaning we SHOULD have a few people out there with Predators under their (gigantic) Christmas trees.

I'll start hunting for my massive tree right now

PRED #3

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

They have a real machine in customer's hands (soon), they deserve their own forum.

I second the motion!
I may have my PREDATOR before anyone gets their WOZ

#51 11 years ago

for everyone who has ever called us out for using Comic Sans, yes, it was just a development phase, and we're getting past it.

I want an option to keep the comic sans in

#144 11 years ago

If you look at games like MM and AFM, they have pretty simple playfields and not a ton of shots.
I think this will be a "player's" pin and the guys seem to have purposely stayed away from making it excessively gaudy.
I like my XM LE (for example) but sometimes there's just a bit too much going on and getting nice satisfying shots that don't cause the ball to bounce around like mad can be challenging and frustrating.
I don't like waiting 10 seconds for the ball to return to my flippers.

#157 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Someone take vids of this beauty at the show. Wanna see latest and greatest.

I don't think that's gonna be a problem
Predator is gonna steal the show!!!

#161 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

personally I'm more worried about the a casual/non-pinball player playing it and not having any clue what to do due to all the different modes and stacking that can be done.

This is a valid concern, but I'm willing to bet Kevin and Aaron are not trying to build a pin that will reach a super wide audience like JJP is doing. These guys appear to be building a pin that they, and other pinball "initiates", would enjoy playing. I see this very much as a players pin.

Besides, with a theme like predator, even the casual player is going to have a blast... regardless of the depth of the rule-set.

When I think of the first time I stepped in front of a TZ... now that was confusing!!!

#235 11 years ago

The games are being built in the order in which they were ordered. The production number requests was just a way that people could get a specific number if they wanted one. Has honestly caused a lot of issues on our end, but I think it's cool anyways []

Hey Kevin,
Thanks for answering all these questions; and sorry to keep throwing more at you... but will you consider offering folks first right of refusal to keep their same number on SkitB's 2nd release? I think I've heard that Stern has done this with their LE models, but I could be wrong. Maybe JJP too, although they should get WOZ out first
It would be pretty cool.

Also, not to put the cart before the horse, but how "developed" are your plans for pin #2?

#246 11 years ago

Drano said:
will you consider offering folks first right of refusal to keep their same number on SkitB's 2nd release?

Probably. We'll have everybody's contact info to let them know ahead of time, so it wouldn't be logistically difficult. To me it reeks of marketing, but if you guys are ok with it, then I will be as well.

Consider it a loyalty program

#248 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Consider it a making me go fucking broke program.

LOL!

#286 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Just updated on the other thread, but after going through the original 31 page post we are at 34% of machines sold going to Pinsiders. We are at 85 right now.

I think the original preorder was opened up to pinsiders exclusivly, which would certainly help the numbers.
Physical orders were taken at their first show in Michigan and then I guess it pretty much opened up everywhere from there.

#337 11 years ago

As much as Aliens would be cool, we've already established on other threads that there would be monster appetite for a Lebowski pin, assuming the license could be had.
So much rich material and pure comedy. I think humour is seriously lacking in pinball. MM is only mildly funny and its a huge hit. I would definitely be first in line for this title and it would sit proudly next to my tron. Can't have enough of the dude.

I think it would be great if SkitB carved out a niche for adult and slightly less mainstream themes/licenses.

#375 11 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Looking good!

Wow!
Two choppas on the playfield... my cup runneth over

#482 11 years ago

Nice work Kevin and Aaron
Congrats on filling your pre-orders and a great expo.
I'm super excited to see you guys really dig in and make this project come to life and get the recognition you both richly deserve.
Looking forward to more great updates over the coming weeks! And don't rush on my account
As much as I can't wait to play #3, it'll be all that much sweeter to follow the process and see you guys knock this out of the park!

#492 11 years ago
Quoted from KindOfRadNow:

That's like saying that you know the wheels are going to be round instead of square so what's the problem? The problem is that as shown the game was nearly unplayable.

Yeah, it's not at all like JJP bringing an unfinished WOZ to a show a few months back with no working GI and no action other than a ball flipping up and down the playfield. What are these guys thinking actually showing us a game in development. If you enjoy mystery and zero input, go buy a Stern!

And, why stop at the ramps? Why not slam them for the pencil-drawn playfield art they're proposing? Man, won't that look like crap! Haven't you guys heard of color before???

I would expect this reaction if the game was being billed as finished or near-finished.

#514 11 years ago

As for the Jack/WoZ comparisons, this isn't a WoZ thread. Stay on topic.

Developers bringing unfinished prototype games to shows is very much on topic... and common practice.

Complaints about game play are now being labeled trolling because they don't agree with the hive mind. Pinside hits a new low.

If reserving criticism until a project is finished, and being supportive of people who are trying to do something good for the hobby is low, then I'm all for it.

Have a nice life. Ignore!

#581 11 years ago

I got in on BHZA and predator. No WOZ... doesn't do much for me.
I'm fairly confident ill see PRED before jpop's game... especially with mine being #3.
Either way, I'm in no rush for either. For me getting there is definitely half the fun and I look forward to tracking the development and continued dialogue with the Kevin and Aaron.
I only wish we had more of that on BHZA. However, I do appreciate the longer timeline and the instalment plan. Definitely takes some of the bite out of buying a $10K pin.

#618 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Update - Woz taking the lead:
- Predator only : 7
- Predator + WOZ : 5
- Predator + Nemo : 2
- Predator + BHZA : 1 (was 2)
- Predator + P3 : 0
- Predator + Full Throttle (formely Circe) : 0

I think with the higher WOZ production number vs the boutique runs (and cost) if the other pins, this outcome is pretty predictable.

#635 11 years ago

Predator will be route ready out-of-the-box here in the states. I don't know if you'll need a new coin door or just new coin mechs for UK currency, but I couldn't imagine it would be difficult to do.

Hey Kevin,
I would love to have Canadian coin mechs on mine if that's at all possible?
I know mechs for quarters wouldn't be an issue, but our games usually come with a 2nd larger slot for loonies or toonies ($1 & $2 coins). These may be harder to source or more expensive. I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks if you guys would be willing to put them in. Makes the game feel more "complete".
Not a huge deal either way, but figured I would ask.

1 week later
#673 11 years ago

I think the Big Lebowski would overtake Pulp Fiction by a lot, though

Don't even joke. I'd have to start a whole new pin-fund right this second!!

#676 11 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

We talked with them at expo for a while about this. LOT of great ideas for a Dude pin. One thing for sure, a big carpet right in the middle of the playfield.

Yup!
I posted the exact same idea on a different "what's your ideal theme" thread.
I sorta figured it could work a lot like the door on TZ... but a whole lot cooler.

Gotta have a bowling lane ala Flinstones or some sort of bowling ball return.

#688 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Wait... Does this mean now I need to watch Big Lebowski too?
(I know, I know. I would lose my man card if I had one.)

After posting "blonde eats banana" your honorary man card is well safe
Now go watch the movie!

#733 11 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

How much of that is going to be covered by the flipper bats and slings?

If the red target is the "shoot again" insert, looks like the flippers will be right under his chin and the slings right on the top of his helmet. Look close and you can see the oblong hole for the kicker arm and the inlane/outlane switch holes just above the head.

#764 11 years ago

Man, I just logged on and saw 30 new posts! I was expecting to see a new prototype or finished playfield art.

Deposit is cool. Just one more step towards making this project a reality!
Take my money

#870 11 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

So I've seen Drano on here with #3. Kevin has #1 and Aaron had #13.
Who has #2

I'm pretty sure Aaron gave up #13 to Gambit and took #2 instead

#883 11 years ago

Hey Kevin,
Not sure if you are sending these emails out with a ton of adressees, maybe as a BCC?
If you are sending it out as a blanket email to many people at the same time, a lot of servers will interpret this as spam.

Some will simply place it in the spam folder while others will kill it all together.
Since you and I have already exchanged emails, it's likely that you were not flagged, but this is the likely culprit.

In future, I would use a service like Mail Chimp to do this for you and avoid these issues.

Would it be out of line to post the email up here on the site since most of the followers of this thread are also owners?

#913 11 years ago

I looked at Mail Chimp very briefly and it looks like a service that will plaster ads for itself all over what goes out. The best lesson in internet etiquette: The more a website wants you there, the less you want to be there.

Just an example. Obviously the more you pay for a service the better and more ad-free it will be.
But just stating that this is the likely cause of the dropped emails.

#928 11 years ago

Got my second copy this evening too.

Tough call on the inscription. I guess just having my name is not very creative
It would be cool to add to the theme with the nameplate. A slight variation on Gambit's idea but maybe I'll go with: "Property of Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer"

Or, a quote from the movie would be a great option too. How about: "There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man!"

#985 11 years ago

Well, it all depends on what is meant by "overlay".
If the art is printed/impregnated onto a durble substrate and laminated to the playfield, it could be super durable. Think Formica
Also, there are many printers that offer direct-to-substrate printing. For lack of a better description, it would be like running a primed playfield through an inkjet printer and then sealing it with some sort of clearcoat. Just a more efficient and inexpensive means of achieving the same effect as silk screening.
I certainly wouldn't be too comfortable with a paper-backed print being laid down on the wood.

#1072 11 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

4. There's something out there waiting for us. And it ain't no man.

Pretty sure this is what I'm going with

#1076 11 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

I am still trying to find that one unique thing about Predator that nobody knows about for my nameplate...... Good luck I know!

Here's one I haven't heard that might be appropriate for a nameplate:

Mac: "I'm gonna cut yo' name right into him..."

#1131 11 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Here's some quotes from the movie that might help you pick out your nameplate.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Predator
Still wondering what the character limit will be. That's the big question.

Went through the list again and this seems to be the most bad-a$$ quote for a pin inscription:

"You lose it here and you're in a world of hurt."

#1143 11 years ago

I've had several emails and just waiting for CC payment info for the deposit.
Not sure if that's because of my spot in line, but I'm sure everyone with a number is cool. They're just sorting stuff out and technology sometimes gets in the way.

Still praying for some new video, but with the holidays coming, I'm sure the boys are busy.

#3 in your hearts and #1 to leave the "basement"

#1145 11 years ago
Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

More time to save my pennies

I know what you mean
I wouldn't be opposed to a Spring delivery... but that's also because I want to drive to Michigan to get it.

#1147 11 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

when we are supposed to send the 5%, I'm guessing it's now but is the CC payment setup?

Kevin said they're still working on that.

#1152 11 years ago
Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

I will be picking mine up in person for sure.
Are you worried about going over the boarder w/ it? Im in Windsor doing some work now and i know how much of a hassle it can be to move equipment over.

Worried? Not really... aside from the 13% a$$-raping us Ontario resident have to pay at the border

If I provide a bill of sale, all should be good.
Hey Kevin, this thing's gonna cost me $500 right?
What's a little decimal place?

Quoted from Cobra:

I want to drive down and pick it up too...

I'll have to see what my schedule is like once the game is ready, but if any Toronto or Southern Ontario guys are in the early production run and want to team up, I'm cool with that.
I'll have to rent/borrow a truck or van anyway. This thing likely won't fit in my Volvo.

I just wanna be there when it comes off the line and maybe even break it in with Kevin and Aaron!
Don't box it up just yet

#1156 11 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Only 5% in Alberta,send them all to me,truck them home from here

You suck

If you load up the truck with empty pop cans and bottles, we may just make it work.
I'll have to crunch the numbers.

#1163 11 years ago

I would expect that any change in price would result in the option to back out.
I would also expect the boys to ramp up for production with a few extra bodies. Even if they could get out 5 games a week, that's a year of production!!!

Gameplay vid would be nice. I'm sure the guys know how critically something like this will be scrutinized so they wanna do it right.

#1168 11 years ago

I'd do a check as well, if I wasn't in Canada
Pretty much CC or PayPal for me. I wouldnt mind covering the PP fees on this small deposit.
I guess a wire transfer wouldn't be so bad either. Can't remember if that was a option?

#1246 11 years ago

Love the video guys!
Not gonna get too nit-picky with the details. I figure you've got enough awards on your mantle to know the difference between a machine that plays well and one that doesn't.

I did miss the UV hunt mode but I'me sure it hasn't gone anywhere
The only other comment (and I think someone else mentioned it to) is that I do miss the locked balls being fired directly into the middle of the pops. Not sure if this is still in the plans or if the ball guides just need a slightly tigther bend... but it would be a nice element to be able to keep.

Carry on

#1280 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How close to "final" is this code considered? Is it possible to have better looking DMD clips at this point? Is it possible to have more variety in music at this point?

I would guess not very close to final since there's still comic sans script all over the screen and there don't appear to be many custom dots.... just digitized movie clips.

However, if they're realistically two to three months out from making the first games, I would think time is tight.

#1306 11 years ago

I've been trying to figure out what those inserts would be for months! Very cool use of the Predator bomb gauntlet. And, it makes perfect sense with the player basically playing the role of the predator. Nice work!

IMG_1228.jpgIMG_1228.jpg

1 week later
#1448 11 years ago

#3... build 3
aka Guinea Pig

1 week later
#1498 11 years ago

Hey guys,
Have the boys been sending out any payment confirmations?
Being in Canada, I sent mine via PayPal and sent a follow up email or two. Have not heard anything.
Just want to make sure it was received.

#1502 11 years ago

Okay. Cool.
I thought I read something about confirmations going out.
Sounds good.
Thanks

#1540 11 years ago

That's one way of keeping the kids away from my pins

#1542 11 years ago

What news from the north?

Not sure if this was directed to me (being Canadian) or SkitB, but I got a reply from Kevin yesterday that my deposit was in for #3.
No real update on the date of the first build, but they seem to be done scrambling to get that first proto on location and eager to push ahead on everything else that has to get done.
I'm personally praying for a Spring release so I can have a nice comfortable drive to Northern MI, but I'm cool with whatever.

My only struggle now is what to put on my plaque
I was going to do some movie quote or something, but after talking with Kevin about how this will be the first game ever sold by SkitB, we figured it might be nice to come up with something a little more special... no pressure

Anyway, I'm stumped. Anyone have any cool suggestions?

#1547 11 years ago

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm trying to get my hands on this next weekend.
"Welcome to the Hunt" #192

The machine they set up at the Shark Club.

#1556 11 years ago

You make it sound like it's there on location...this is what I've been wondering about...if its there next weekend...I can play it........

I'm pretty sure that was for a one-time event. Don't think it will be there "on location".

Sorry:
already addressed above. must---read---before---posting

#1561 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Christmas is coming!

Some art or early toys would be a GREAT Christmas gift hint, hint...

Then again, I'm not complaining seeing as how we've seen way more up front and candid development on Predator than any other pin in history.

#1620 11 years ago

Wow. I logged in after about 4 hours and saw 50+ new posts.
I was CERTAIN that there had been some awesome news or new images. Sadly... half of them were made by pinballdad

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but $250 does not entitle anyone to browbeat someone else to perform on demand... to chain themselves to a computer and respond to every post. Maybe a few of us have been spoiled by Kevin and Aaron's open approach to this project. Maybe the Stern model of showing you nothing and then "take it or leave it" is more suited to some.

The guys have work to do and, quite honestly, a lot of these posts don't even merit a response.
Even so, SkitB has a pretty good track record of addressing most of them.

Is it any wonder Stern, JJP and JPOP rarely post here (if at all)?

#1627 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Thanks for the insults too Drano! I am a little shocked that I have not insulted anyone here in this thread yet I get insulted every few posts. "Browbeat someone to perform on demand?" What kind of accusation is that...can you link to or post an excerpt from me supporting that...lol..uh huh. I thought so...you will not...cannot.
Why all the unrelated, make believe, banter with many of you? If you do not agree with me then so be it. Shame on the folks that do not agree with me though and resort to calling me names...accusing me of being stressed out...claim, or wish that I want out of the pin, insult me with, "...Sadly... half of them were made by pinballdad" type comments. Lol...are you serious Drano? Really?
Disagree ok...stop all this other nonsense ok? Please?

You have a right to your opinion. If you are upset at SkitB not posting enough for your liking, that's fine. If paying your money makes you feel entitled to that response, so be it. I live in a world where I cannot live on the Internet if I am to get any work done and I suspect Aaron and Kevin are the same.
I would expect that, after how open and accommodating they have already been, people would cut them a bit more slack.
My wish for an "Xmas gift" was just that; a wish! Not an expectation.
If you are angry or upset that's cool. That is your right. But put yourself in my shoes and that of others here. Many of us have precious little time to spend reading forum posts and respond. When 100 posts are added in a day and half of them are guys asking for junk that SkitB already said wont happen, and the other half is negative bickering, yeah... I think I also have a right to be upset and disappointed... Just like you.
My comment was not an insult. Go back and read how much time and effort has been wasted on this topic.
If SkitB takes half my payment for this pin and starts ignoring me, then maybe I'll be upset. For now I just don't understand your frustration.
Sorry.

1 week later
#1775 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I'm sitting here pondering whether a pinball would fit in those eye sockets...

How BOP

Beautiful work Kevin and Aaron!

Obviously that skull would look awesome on the left in-lane plastic being clutched by the Predator on the pf, but the fear of blocking sightlines would be there.

Have a great holiday guys!
Thanks for the Christmas treat.

1 week later
#1866 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I haven't received a confirmation for my payment yet. Lots of others haven't, so I'm not too worried.
I do think it's time for the boys to step up their game. They got this far with their good looks, but now it's a million dollar operation. Someone should be dealing with emails/receipts/deposits, etc in a timely fashion, and they need to focus on what they do best and let someone else do the other stuff.
I know it can be hard to let go, but it has to be done at some point.

I've given JPOP thousands for BHZA and there is never an official notice of receipt
It would be nice.

#1890 11 years ago

"El Diablo cazador de hombres"

Literally it means "the Devil hunter of men".

Got my email confirmation. Thanks!

#1962 11 years ago

You're gonna see none of this with multi-balls flying around

#2045 11 years ago

Can't recall what I donated... but would love me one of those shirts!!!
Nice!

#2098 11 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Will you give buyers of Predator first crack at getting their same game # when the next game is announced?

It didn't sound like Kevin was in love with the idea... but I do recall him saying that, if that's what buyers want, they'd be open to it.
I think his exact words were that it "reeked of marketing" LOL!

1 month later
#2326 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

As you know being a collector is a month by month time and money management job.

I agree. I'm at the front of the line on this one and I've been buying or considering buying a lot of other games over the last few months, so a little bit of planning will be required once I eventually get the call. I'm always hoping for an updated target date, but also understand that projects like this have a way of taking longer than anyone expects.

I'm sure that the guys at SkitB will be fair and give us a proper heads up when the time comes.

#2361 11 years ago

Wow, I'll definitely be at Allentown.
Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

2 weeks later
#2627 11 years ago

They were pretty clear that you will get your game in the order that you place your pre-order. I don't think other people's "places" are transeferable and would move to the back of the line.

2 weeks later
#2763 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

See yuz in Allentown!

Yup!
I am definitley excited to meet the guys for the first time in A-town and get to experience this game first hand.

Thanks for the detailed reply Kevin!

1 week later
#3043 11 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I'm imagining it with some plastics that look like trees and brush....ala special forces. The only thing I can say is it needs a little more red..

Waaaay early in their first thread I had referenced this early Nordman game. I thought the jungle canopy effect of the plastics and "dirt" ramps were a perfect fit for Predator.

I still want to find a cheap Special Force one day. It's a cool little game for maybe $500-$600.

#3073 11 years ago

It's a bit more "colorful" than I was expecting,
But ill reserve final judgement until we see it all populated. It makes a huge difference.

I always think of the Dark Horse comics when I think of predator. I guess I was envisioning a darker look.

Either way, well done for the artist's first effort.
If it were me I'd probably be taking this finished art into Photoshop and playing around with different tonalities and effects to explore a few different options for the final.

#3156 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

But speaking of DE art, this is worth watching if only for a laugh at the narcissistic tool responsible for it:

Man, that dude really loves himself

#3355 11 years ago

I agree with all the comments on the art, but as I mentioned a couple of days ago, it would be no big deal to adjust the colours and tones in photoshop at this point.
The art has to be digitized (I'm assuming it already is) for final production... so may as well try out some adjustments in "post" and see what works best.

The toys/figures are nothing short of fantastic! I would love the entire pin to carry through that dark theme. Currently there does seem to be a small disconnect... but I'm willing to wait and see. The guys have done good so far. I have no reason to expect anything less from the final product.

2 weeks later
#3893 10 years ago

I don't mind the idea of the plan. Since pin #3 will be right at the front of production I was expecting to pony up some cash soon anyway. Maybe I'll do $1000 up front and get that sexy shirt

I like the little bit at a time approach. We're doing the same with JPOP's game. That pin would have been out of reach for me otherwise. I can also say that I have been able to do a lot of other smaller deals as a result of having my funds relatively free... and not have to tie my hands in anticipation of one game that I've put a ton of money down on.

See you guys in Allentown

#3896 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT:
Drano,
What's the status on BHZA I have been on the waiting list for that game for a while
Did JPOP call in the next progress payment yet?

If you're on the wait list you probably won't see any updates until there's a spot open.
JPOP has adjusted the payment schedule slightly, but the next installment is due in about a month (instead of April 1st).
I suspect the targeted completion is still Q1 2014... but don't quote me on that.
With only 99 spots plus the 25 cointaker editions, space will be tight... especially now that they are regularly sharing progress and images to the buyers. I don't imagine many will be pulling out at this stage... but keep on him. You may get lucky.

1 week later
#3996 10 years ago

No video yet but I just snuck in and got to meet the guys for the first time and see this
They look like they've put in a lot of hours in the last few days.
Can't wait to come back and play it.

Hope these pics come out straight.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#4112 10 years ago

We're just driving home from the show.
Predator was a highlight and it was awesome to finally meet the guys.

The toll of rushing to get this latest playfield into the game and making the long drive from northern Michigan was all over their faces on Friday morning, so a huge applause and thanks for making the effort guys!

I had the pleasure to also watch Kevin reach Showdown wizard mode and kick the tar out of the game It was awesome to see it being played well (after my weak performance).

The audio package is unreal and the FF kit almost had me wondering if the game had a shaker at times.
The playfield art looked good in game. Once the inserts get printed and the black key lining is added, it'll look as good as any production game.
Ramps were original and you can still see the plywood imprint from the vacuum forming. I have faith the production ones will be much nicer.
Remember that the game does not yet have plastics. Its gonna look a whole lot cooler once plastic art is layered over the playfield and toys/figures are added.

With my game being one of the first made, I will definitely be sending some money soon (while I have it )

JETZXI, I didn't talk to the guys about mirror blades but I guess black would look badass!
I could router out a channel for the uv lighting.
Once I take possession ill measure it up and give it a shot.

Thanks again to Kevin and Aaron

Adriano

#4118 10 years ago

I'm not convinced any side art or blades would be advisable as it'll really bring attention to the two long black L-bracket strips that run along the inside to hide the uv lighting.
Black blades is the most I would attempt, unless someone can come up with a decal strip for the L-bracket as well.

Right now it blends in nicely and you don't notice it.

#4130 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

did somebody saw or know what the apron will look like?

No, just a plain black one for now.

#4161 10 years ago

I wish I had had the presence of mind to whip out the phone and tape Kevin playing this weekend... but I was just in awe at watching him (and the pin) go!

Now hurry up and go get that shoulder on Arnold fixed will ya... and lets change the skull back to red... and then white... and then red again

But seriously, I know the guys have been super open with us and put a lot of stuff out for public opinion here, but I seriously don't get the issue with all these little details. You guys can flame away, but I'm a designer and artist and I don't understand some of these comments. The game looks great, better than many in fact. I can promise that, at no point during playing this pin did I stop and say "Hey, something's not right with this playfield art".
Last thing on my mind to be honest. Maybe it's just me. I guess the game just rocked so hard that I didn't have time to look

#4163 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

They like hearing our feedback, critical or otherwise. So we are going to share it. The difference is with other games, we can't be a part of the design, but in this instance we can (at least a little bit).

Yeah, I totally get that. But, I also think that there is such a thing as being overly critical. I'm sure the guys do appreciate it. I just feel like some may be missing the forest for the trees.
I can think of a dozen things that would concern me before the "correctness" of the playfield art.

Missing an important character? Sure, that's a big deal!
The incorrect perspective of a gun barrel or shoulder? Not so much.
I've avoided making any real judgements and letting the guys surprise me... but if I was piping up, I'd be picking my battles and want the guys to focus on bigger things. Just sayin'

#4166 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I'm also really still on the fence about the clashing cab/back glass art vs the playfield art and I absolutely disagree about 90s art not matching between playfield and cabinet.
I guess I'll see what happens after production and if I don't like it ill just back out.

Playfield art has traditionally been screen printed and the art was a little more simplified as a result (fewer screens meant less cost).
Translites are printed with inkjet or similar processes. This allowed a lot more tonality, fading etc...

Much older games may have had screen printing on both playfield and glass, while modern pins seem to have more digital printing on playfields and translites, but I think the 90's did have a lot of "mis-matching" art styles. I'd say it was a fair comment.

My guess is that if the guys were shooting for more realistic playfield art, they'd get slammed for doing what Stern does with photographic or photoshopped art; instead of hand drawn.

#4178 10 years ago

Let me say that my excitement level has shot way up after playing Predator this last weekend

#4187 10 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

Hey don't dis the special forces man!
Post edited by shootar : chuck norris and delta force made me do it

Ha Ha!
I've always had a thing for Special Force. I'm a Dennis Nordman fan and it was his first game.
In fact, I picked one up this last weekend and had it at Allentown (in our hotel room).
From day one I thought the stacking canopy plastics were a brilliant idea and something that could really bring the Predator theme to life as well.

I also love the pop-bumper "huts", but having something like that dead centre in this playfield would probably spoil it. Now, victims dangling from their feet that rattle with every pop hit... now that would be badass!

#4237 10 years ago

I actually picked up a Special Force this past weekend, as well (big thanks to Great Lakes Modular!), but it is just too far gone to repair (what do you expect for 150 bucks?), so it will be another retheme project.

Wow! That's two of us Kevin.
I had one set up in the hotel room but we were working on it more than playing
It's all good now.

I saw the one at GLM's booth and even offered him a few bucks for a couple of plastics that are damaged on mine. If you don't plan to keep them for your re-theme, I'm your man

I got it with the intention of maybe one day doing a re-theme as well... but it's so cool I may just leave it alone.

1 week later
#4435 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

It is still their game and vision and thats what the game is based on.

This ^

Input is one thing. Expecting the game to be designed around our every whim... not so much.
Let's not forget who the creators and designers are here.

Being asked for an opinion on what they are doing is great. And changes have been made when there is an overwhelming response from many. But, expecting to have every idea that we spew at them incorporated, is something different altogether.

I suggest that anyone with extremely strong views in this matter consider developing their own game and putting it online for public dissection. Not an easy thing to do for sure.

#4460 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Hey did anyone ahead of me bail yet so that I can move up a spot?
Chris #4

Sorry dude

2 weeks later
#4589 10 years ago

Thank God there's no bash toy!!!
Now that would have been a bit disappointing.
Everything else is good as far as I'm concerned.
3 dangling bodies sounds cool, but I wonder if they'd clutter up the view to the upper playfield?
I guess it all depends how they're placed...
but it certainly would be more fitting with the theme.

#4686 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

In my Game room by Christmas!

I'm praying #3 will be ready right around EXPO in October. That would certainly save me a drive

Whaddya say guys?

2 months later
#5272 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Hoping someone ahead of me dropped out!
Still waiting for my email........Slow servers!
Kevin! send it again!
Chris #4

Still #3 and #3... yeah baby!

However, I want to pick mine up on my trip to EXPO so... depending when they get built, I most certainly won't be the first owner to unbox mine :sniff:

1 month later
#5563 10 years ago

Sick topper Matt
See you guys at the show. Leaving tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

PS
The loop on top of that skull should give us a clue. Dangling over the game maybe??

#5846 10 years ago

Thanks for the posts Kevin.
I was having mixed emotions this week at expo.
On one hand I was really disappointed to not see the game at all on Thursday and then further upset at not being able to play it before leaving early Saturday for the 9hr drive back to Toronto.
However, I was pretty happy with the progression from the last build in Allentown (that I did get to play).
Of course a few things still need massaging and refinement. Matt across the aisle was also a big help in answering a few questions while Kevin was away.

I had a great time playing it earlier this year, so I can only assume this build is better.
We only got to talk for a couple of minutes before the SkitB seminar, but I have to admit that Kevin appeared to be taking everything in stride and handling the stress pretty well.

And Kevin, thanks for bringing those parts for me. I know you had a lot on your plate. I appreciate it.

Adriano

#5850 10 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

I love the plastics, really gives it that jungle feel.
The blood on the skull above the flippers should probably just be erased. No other problems with the art IMO.
The 'Predator' text on the back of the playfield is redundant. The translight is plenty.
On a related note I would love to see a high quality helicopter toy. Maybe a helicopter that sticks out of the back of the playfield? Like only the front half emerges. If I had any art skills I would post a paint pic.

Hmmmm. Interactive or not, I really like the idea of a "choppa" toy.
Has nobody thought of this yet???
I'm sure it's in the thread somewhere... amidst all the ponies and boobs

1 week later
#6206 10 years ago

I've tried to reserve judgement for the last couple of weeks because, being at the front of the line on this project, I was pretty bummed after expo. I have to say that, since watching the video several times now... and finally on a larger screen, I am getting really excited again. And yes, I can see the predator's face pretty clearly under UV light on the big screen.

I never had any illusions of predator beign a JPOP style game full of toys and crazy mecahnisms, but just a really solid and well thought out player with great flow and some neat features. Playing a rougher version in Allentown sold me; the gameplay was fun! This latest video, along with Kevin's assurances on what will be addressed before production, have gotten me firmly back on board. Although, I'm curious about their intent to have the ball "strike the hanging body" on the way up to the ramp. I hope they plan to extend a small post down from the figure and not actually allow the ball to smack it directly. That could get ugly.

I also love Aurich's suggestion and felt that the inserts on the current playfield were all just too similar. Changing out the glove inserts for red on black would be a phenomenal add... hopefully the guys agree and it's not too late to alter the art before final production.

A chopper toy, even if aftermarket, would be a huge bonus. Hopfully someone will figure something out once we have some sizing. If not 3D (like the plane in TOMMY for example) even a 2D appearance on a back panel plastic would be cool. I can visualize the interior lit up all red like in the movie.

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate Kevin and team on picking themselves up after expo and I'm looking forward to playing Predator #3.

Keep up the good work guys.
Adriano

#6208 10 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I dont know if this has been suggested before or maybe its actually in the game. But I just thought about this... a 'Get to the Choppah!' hurry-up. I think that would be hilarious.

A hurry-up with countdown to detonation and Arnie yelling that famous line at the start would be pretty damn cool.
I can hear the Predator laughing in the background

2 months later
#6679 10 years ago

Here's a question.
Who will you guys be using for shipping/delivery?

I'm gonna have to figure out how to get this bad boy into Canada pretty soon.

#6706 10 years ago

Still honestly considering it, actually. The Skit-B Pinball Canadian Tour might be a damned fun time, and those MAACA guys know how to party

You guys are always welcome. It can't be much more than about 5hrs. We'll have lots of good Canadian beer waiting. Hell... if you're talking April, I may have to re-consider my original plan to come down and pick the game up myself. This winter has been a bear so far!
BTW. You're not planning to be at Pinfest in Allentown again this year, are you?

In reality, I have a friend with a clearing warehouse and brokerage service in Fort Erie MI, so I'd have little problem getting the game into the country... Just have to pay the tax. However, if you're seriously looking into import options and would like to discuss, I can put you two guys together and you can chat. Shoot me a PM if you guys need any help.

#6716 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Sonic? Is that game #2 Kevin?

They had a Solar Fox at Expo.... didn't see Sonic though.
Maybe it's another re-theme like Duck Hunt. Solar Fox was built on an old Bally Special Force machine. It wasn't yet functional at the show though; just art.

#6722 10 years ago

Drano said:

if you're seriously looking into import options and would like to discuss, I can put you two guys together and you can chat

Yeah, let's do that. You have my email, so hit me up on there and we can get everything figured out. Thanks

Email sent.
Hope it helps.

2 weeks later
#6882 10 years ago

Ahem, ahem.
This thread and Kevin have been pretty quiet.

Hope to see a video pretty soon. Having to wait until April would suck

1 week later
#6958 10 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

I think everything is fine (though i have no idea), its not like we've never had this much radio silence before, and honestly once Kevin mentioned April, it put me at ease a bit and i find myself on pinside a lot less. I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt hear anything until a few weeks before the proposed release. I think most are just catastrophizing.

I waited nearly two weeks to get a reply to a couple of emails; but Kevin did finally email me last night. Seems like he's just catching up with some overdue correspondence... but still very much alive and kicking

Sorry, no news on the game. But, I also didn't ask.
I'm sure that will be up next.

2 weeks later
#7003 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

These guys took $250 deposits, which are fully refundable. Let's not stand on entitlement too long, because that is a flimsy box on this one.

They also sent out an email for optional additional pre-payments beyond the $250 and up to the full purchase price... which some people (for various reasons) have decided to make.
Are those people entitled to more communication than those who paid $250???
That's a rhetorical question of course.

However, given the communication we are accustomed to from other manufacturers, I'm okay with the pace of response from SkitB. Sure, I'd love to know more about what's happening... but I think we've also been a little spoiled.

#7061 10 years ago

I was listening to the PINHEADZ podcast yesterday after a friend told me that Kevin did a 30 minute interview on the show. Anyone know when this actually took place? Looks like it was posted about 4 days ago.
Not sure if this is old news?

Kevin pops in just before the 1:05 mark.

PINHEADZ PINBALL PODCAST - Episode #3 - The Greatest v. The Newest

http://www.pinheadz.com.au/podcast/ppp003-pinheadz-pinball-podcast-ep3-the-greatest-v-the-newest/

Direct Link MP3
http://traffic.libsyn.com/pinheadz/PPP003.mp3

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread?tu=drano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.