View topic image gallery

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Metalpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#4416 10 years ago

I sincerely wish the guys the best of success on this game, but the artwork would have been a deal breaker for me. I was already worried about the lack of shots on the game (and that's what kept me from preordering), but like RAI said above, I would've expected the artwork to be darker and less like a Data East style. The technology was cool when the game was being announced, but the big manufacturers have stepped things up in the last year. The things they are doing now and are rumored to be doing have already surpassed the coolness factor of Predator. I have hopes for SkitB and all of the other boutique guys, but I fear they will all have a hard time innovating beyond the big companies. They are in competition and each has made great hires in recent months. Like a lot of Kickstarters are finding, it's hard to get things manufactured in smaller quantities with good enough quality in a timely fashion. I want them all to succeed; they are all working very hard. However, I'm glad I didn't bite on the announcements of any of the boutiques. I just had a feeling that we were on the verge of some major pinball innovation at the big manufacturers. That's coming. With the hire of guys like John Trudeau, it may be coming even sooner than I thought. I'm holding out for a few more designs to come onto the scene. Now if only Stern will give them as much freedom as they need to make something special. I think they will.

#4418 10 years ago

For the record, the Predator theme was one of my grail themes. I own and display many of the Sideshow 12in Predator figures in my basement/gameroom. If the art had a darker tone and feel to it, it probably would've tipped me to the point of buying or trading for one. Alien and Predator just cannot be presented with a "too cartoony" style. I have a hard time going for any artwork for those 2 themes that stray too far from a Giger-like style. I used to buy all of the Alien and Predator toys years ago, but I always skipped the ones that veered too far from the darkness and edginess. I may be totally wrong in what limited exposure I've had to the artwork for the game. Maybe it will be spot on when the game actually goes into production and I see it in person. I still want a Predator game very badly; perhaps this one will be that game when it's all said and done. If that's the case then I will gladly give it a glowing review as I stand over one in my gameroom.

#4426 10 years ago

I like the SkitB guys too, and ultimately all that matters is that you like your game. It doesn't matter what I feel about the artwork. I was just voicing my opinion as a Predator (franchise) fanboy from way back. I have the same complaint about Jurassic Park, which I own and love playing. The theme is great; the play is great; the sounds are good; the toys are good; however, the artwork is too cartoon-like to fit the gritty theme. It's ok on a game like TFTC, because that theme is kinda based on a comic. In the end, the artwork chosen for Predator may be fitting in its final form. Toys and artwork are going to be tricky for all of these smaller production machines. Some will work and some won't. The toys can be altered after-market; the artwork on the playfield is permanent. For a theme like Predator, the artwork and toys are important to me. They may not be as important for you.

#4450 10 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Not sure if people are worried they won't like it, or just worried they won't be able to sell it for profit.

I have 40 machines and have never sold one, so I wouldn't know what it's like selling one for profit. There are only a few that I own that would definitely go for more than I paid for them. CC, AFM, QQ, Cyclopes, and Shadow would net me big gains. I paid more than great money for my games just so I could get great examples of the games I liked. As the new games get released in the next few years, I may begin to sell some just because I'm the only one in the house that plays them now. Some games are sitting turned off, so it would probably be good to stir up some more excitement. Seeing John Trudeau and some of the other pinball gods getting new work makes me excited about what could be coming. Maybe one of them will finally make the Jaws pin I've always wanted. Jaws was on the list with Alien, Predator, Pink Floyd, a decent Star Wars, and a few other games like that.

#4455 10 years ago

When it's all finished and out in the wild and I see that I'm wrong about the artwork, I'm sure I'll overpay for one so I can add to my Predator collection and my pinball collection.

#4476 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't think you will EVER see a Predator in the wild. I can't imagine many are going on location. I know CPPinball in STL is supposed to have one on loan for a short time, but not sure if many will even be available for public play. Similar to BBB and MG and BHZA, I think many folks will be lucky to ever even play Predator anywhere besides a pinball show...
I will of course be sharing mine with all the local pinheads and likely taking it to MRP2014 (assuming I have it by then).

When I said "in the Wild", I really didn't mean on route. I just meant completed and in owners' possession.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Metalpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread?tu=Metalpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.