Topic Stats

• 7,117 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 590 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 143.
#4651 6 years ago

Thanks for the video, I can't wait to see the fully assembled game

#4652 6 years ago

So Kevin, any chance of you guys bringing Predator to Gamewarp in Orlando at the end of next month?

http://www.gamewarp.org/

#4653 6 years ago

Just finished watching the SkitB talk, they saved the very best for last. The fact that we can modify the game code completely to our own liking is awesome. That sounds very cool.

#4654 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Just finished watching the SkitB talk, they saved the very best for last. The fact that we can modify the game code completely to our own liking is awesome. That sounds very cool.

Yeah this game will become a modders paradise. Even adding your own sounds and what not. We could get an Arnold impersonator to say some pinball phrases and add it to the game.

#4655 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

So Kevin, any chance of you guys bringing Predator to Gamewarp in Orlando at the end of next month?
http://www.gamewarp.org/

Does someone have a list of all the summer pinball shows somewhere? If so, link please. I may RV it out to one of them.

#4656 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man . . . what a great stream. So glad they got some floor time. I was pumped for this game before . . . can't even describe how much I'm ready to play this sucker now!!! These guys are truly making a game for home users and players.

I actually had my wife watch the stream this morning too. She is like "wow, that sounds like it is going to be your favorite game". I think she is right. I'm still nerdgasiming over here.

Are the LED's going to be color changing like WOZ and the recent Stern LE's?

#4657 6 years ago

great interview/video!!! Thanks for recording and posting to share!

If that video does not get you pumped for the game, I am not sure you have a pulse!

The thought process behind the software and ruleset is very unique. I think the best way to describe it when people ask me is it is like a video game ruleset combined with a pinball strategy/feel/ ruleset.

I want my GAME!!!

#4658 6 years ago

Ok so I failed you guys... I got to the show yesterday and Predator was down.
Kevin came by and fixed something and then quickly tested the game
(that's him playing in the video)
Then I jumped on it and racked up about 1.5 bil points my third ball got stuck and Kevin was gone
So I was unable to get any more video. It was late day so Kevin was getting ready for his seminar.
Sorry for the lack of video guys
Hopefully someone gets a decent video today.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sHEzVrz5pAo

#4659 6 years ago

I dont think the LED's will be color changing. I don't think it would work well with this theme anyway. Kevin did say you could request incandescent bulbs I believe.

#4660 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok so I failed you guys... I got to the show yesterday and Predator was down.
Kevin came by and fixed something and then quickly tested the game
(that's him playing in the video)
Then I jumped on it and racked up about 1.5 bil points my third ball got stuck and Kevin was gone
So I was unable to get any more video. It was late day so Kevin was getting ready for his seminar.
Sorry for the lack of video guys
Hopefully someone gets a decent video today.
ยป YouTube video

We appreciate the effort! What you got was cool!

#4661 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I want my GAME!!!

Man, me too!!!!! Can't freaking wait for this sucker; I hate asking for a release date because I don't want them to fall into the WOZ trap and it'll be ready when it is ready . . . but it is so hard not to ask when this sucker may ship. I'm in the top 1/4 of deliveries too . . . so mine will be an early one.

#4662 6 years ago

I ma likely in the last quarter... so you are doing better than I am ;(

#4663 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I ma likely in the last quarter... so you are doing better than I am ;(

Im #250 and could care less!!!! Just pumped to be a part of it.

#4664 6 years ago

Bring it on, I'm ready for a pinball machine with a new interface and achievements. This game is gonna kick ass. I can't wait to see the black light stuff and fully populated playfield. That video interview got me pumped back up for this project. I bet the sound is gonna be fantastic. Good job crew

#4665 6 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Bring it on, I'm ready for a pinball machine with a new interface and achievements. This game is gonna kick ass. I can't wait to see the black light stuff and fully populated playfield. That video interview got me pumped back up for this project. I bet the sound is gonna be fantastic. Good job crew

How do I find it on the page with that link? For an IT guy, I'm an idiot apparently.

#4666 6 years ago

Oh my God.

I just lost my whole fucking write up.

#4667 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Oh my God.
I just lost my whole fucking write up.

Yea, Yea, Yea, and the dog ate my homework. Get back to re-writing!!!!!! We need tidbits!

#4668 6 years ago

Has anyone posted Kevin's presentation?

Dan

#4669 6 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Has anyone posted Kevin's presentation?
Dan

Yes, see Tweedlefuzz's post on this same page, about 20 up. Worth every second of watching it too!

#4671 6 years ago

You beat me Tiger

#4672 6 years ago

I started watching that presentation/discussion and was surprised I actually ended up watching it all. I have to say after seeing it that I am as excited now as I have ever been.

#4673 6 years ago

Fuck it. Here's what I can remember of my ramblings that I ERASED!! ARGHRGHR!!!

0) No toys. No plastics.
1) Game was set WAY EASY.
2) Game was set WAY SLOW.
3) Sound package was big huge round squashy full cleavage giggly pudding decolletage tits. I think people underestimate sound in a game. I played the Arabian Knights at the show, could barely hear it, and a game already hanging by a thread for me game play wise was almost unbearably boring when muted. This game, Predator, is easily among the best, ever, in this category.
4) Sound hardware was top shelf. Only Metallica came close, and those were tricked out by Marco.
5) Couldn't see the art. No plastics, was blinded by LEDs.
6) The DMD looks pretty damn good in person. It looks like they still have some clips to clean up, and the text is really hard to follow, especially so on some modes, but otherwise it looks good.
7) Kevin and Aaron are as approachable and forthcoming as everyone has said.
8_) You do not want to get in a bar fight vs. Kevin and/or Aaron.

Quick expanded thoughts then. I had high hopes of solidifying my purchase choice for this game (basically at this point over Metallica) and that did not happen. The game was just set way too loose. I played one game. Just one. I scored something around 3.5 billion, but didn't stay to watch my bonus count up because I could tell my poor son was really tired of waiting for me to finish. Honestly, I was beginning to lose interest. It was one of three games (Avengers, Cirqus Voltaire and Predator) that while I was playing was thinking about wanting to play other things.

I'm a pretty decent player, but, please keep in mind, these flippers were so close together the ball could barely drain. The outlanes were so generous the ball would actually get stuck trying as hard as it could to get back to the trough. The playfield was so flat missed shots were wandering up the left ramp. Kevin said this is the last time this prototype will ever be seen so you folks at the next show will get a treat!

Much like Oz must be seen to be believed (it really is phenomenal to look at) Predator has to be heard to be understood. All the slashes, cuts, shots, explosions, music, effects, call outs, and the TIMING, it all feels and sounds like you think it should. A few of the callouts could use better balance as they were lost in music or effects, but most were great.

The light show, what I could see through my sensitive eyes and burned retinas (almost wish the GI had been left off without the plastics to conceal them), was real fucking cool during If It Bleeds. With the UV layer that mode is going to be intense.

I went to the show hoping that my experience with the game would be a slam dunk and put any doubts to rest for good. I can't say that happened. In fact I feel I barely learned anything at all about the actual play of it due to the settings. I know why they did it, I know they had the best intentions, and I know they don't actually have to SELL it, but I wonder if it didn't back fire a bit. I heard more than a couple comments along the lines of, "This game is in slow motion", and "What a weird game", and so on.

My wife asked if, given this, I was having second thoughts. Well, to a guy like me looking at laying out $5k I've never not had second thoughts. But, I'm in about the same boat as before, this wasn't the gameplay info I was hoping for. I'm still on board, all the intangibles are still there, and some have been reconfirmed like the achievements, the theme, the sound, the sound and the sound, the layout, the concept, the business model, the guys behind it, etc... But, going into the show, the gameplay was a mystery to me, and honestly, I feel it still pretty much is.

Oh and by the way, I didn't drain a single time off those lock light standups, so that concern is either a non-issue, or again, could be set up related.

Super great show, great meeting Kevin and Aaron, wish I could have had more time but I was there alone with the boy and had to make allowances. We won three free tournaments, ACDC pro for me, Tron pro for him (in the 8-13, though had to lie about his age to get him in), and then the Parent/Kid (again, lying about the 8-13 thing). I can now say I've won every pinball tournament I've ever entered. Ha.

EDIT: Oh, my shitty videos. Keep in mind these two videos encompass a guy playing ONE BALL. This was before I played so I thought he must be a Jedi. I think he ended up with about 3.2 billion or so. If It Bleeds starts at the beginning of the second video.

EDIT 2: Oh, that reminds me. There's some kind of bug where that guy on fire keeps flashing on the DMD when a pop is hit. Kind of funny actually. Poor bastard.

#4674 6 years ago

Interesting.

How about 7.5 degree pitch and lightning flippers? It is BSD like so why not?

Game would change in an instant.

#4675 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting.
How about 7.5 degree pitch and lightning flippers? It is BSD like so why not?
Game would change in an instant.

Well, they set it up like this on purpose, Kevin said to "let people get a good long play on it". It's not an accident or design flaw. The thing is, for me, it's also not a real good idea of the play experience either.

#4676 6 years ago

OH MAN, that "If It Bleeds" MODE sounded awesome! I have never been more pumped to be on board this project!!!

#4677 6 years ago

yeah, I would agree, "a good long play" with the danger removed makes a game feel boring.

#4678 6 years ago

Thanks for the review Navajas. I just think people need to reserve judgement until this thing is done, any game set up with weak flippers and no pitch is gonna be boring. It had the the weak flippers at Allentown but it had the pitch so ramps were difficult to make and a video of that would probably would've lead to criticism that would've been unwarranted because it's all gonna be different once the final game is released.

The more and more this project advances, the more you can see why Stern does things the way they do, game design and aesthetics first, code last. And they don't reveal the first part until it's 100% done.

But i guess it doesnt hurt to critique a work in progress, as long as you know it's going to change.

#4679 6 years ago

Has the UStream video been pulled? I have tried 5 times now to watch and always got an error, and now can't even find it.

#4680 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

Thanks for the review Navajas. I just think people need to reserve judgement until this thing is done, any game set up with weak flippers and no pitch is gonna be boring.

Cheers.

Yeah, for real. There's a dude making the rounds on Pinside saying how much Predator sucks. That's just impossible to judge. How much fun would Metallica be if you stripped off the plastics, all the toys, put on clunky prototype ramps, dialed down the flippers, flattened the playfield and installed temporary band aid fix mechs on a glorified whiteboard with glued on art? I mean, hell yes I wanted to go back and play more Metallica, but it's a finished product, I damn well better have.

#4681 6 years ago

I'm still not clear on the purpose of taking the game to shows with this setup. What exactly is at risk of breaking from regular flipper power? There doesn't seem to be much benefit that can come from displaying the game like this (at just about every show someone suggests) if these are all sold out, there's a long waiting list and a ton of work to do.

#4682 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm still not clear on the purpose of taking the game to shows with this setup.

They keep getting asked....

#4683 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Cheers.
Yeah, for real. There's a dude making the rounds on Pinside saying how much Predator sucks. That's just impossible to judge. How much fun would Metallica be if you stripped off the plastics, all the toys, put on clunky prototype ramps, dialed down the flippers, flattened the playfield and installed temporary band aid fix mechs on a glorified whiteboard with glued on art? I mean, hell yes I wanted to go back and play more Metallica, but it's a finished product, I damn well better have.

Ok, wow...I thought the game blew at the show, but makes sense it all this is true. If it was my game I wouldn't have brought it in that state because I did leave thinking it was bad.

#4684 6 years ago

You bring the game to the show, because you get asked and you are trying to build a company. In conjunction, many people that are currently on board deserve to see something and this may be the only chance till they get their physical production game.

I agree that like other companies that have done a similar thing of bringing proto to shows (JJP), they will get slammed for weak flips, not enough pitch, etc... However, at the end of the day realistic people will understand that no game can be judged till complete and while it may not be much fun to play with weak flips and low pitch, you can still get an 'idea' of what the future/final product holds.

IMHO, at this stage, that should be enough to present a degree of reality to what is still just a fanciful dream to those that have not seen the proto.

Like any project where buyers are helping out and get to provide suggestions along the ride, a healthy imagination grounded with some well thought out critiques of a prototype is good for the final game.

I am continually amazed at how well the SkitB team conducts themselves!

Really looking forward to the next update and hopefully a 'final' proto to play at expo in Chitown!

#4685 6 years ago

In my Game room by Christmas!

#4686 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

In my Game room by Christmas!

I'm praying #3 will be ready right around EXPO in October. That would certainly save me a drive

Whaddya say guys?

#4687 6 years ago

One question I was going to ask had I been able to go to the seminar was does Fox have an IP police/enforcer/oversight guy that you needs to sign off on things? Does the game have to go before some suits for review and approval or anything like that?

Also, I was going to ask what Kevin and Aaron did before this.

#4688 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

One question I was going to ask had I been able to go to the seminar was does Fox have an IP police/enforcer/oversight guy that you needs to sign off on things? Does the game have to go before some suits for review and approval or anything like that?
Also, I was going to ask what Kevin and Aaron did before this.

Fox has access to everything they own, obviously, and they have a say over how it's all used. They generally don't care about much in the way it applies to pinball specifically, they just need to know that it's been unmodified and isn't being used way out of context. Likenesses are a little more touchy, but pretty much the same. In short, gameplay changes mean nothing to them, but art and sounds mean everything.

As far as what we did before this, we've both held odd jobs and such just like any other American Joes, but I grew up under my father's arcade route and Aaron has been around helping out with the route since like 3rd grade

#4689 6 years ago

Man, I'm sure it comes with its own challenges, but working on a project like this with a friend you've had since early grade school must be pretty damn special.

#4690 6 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Fox has access to everything they own, obviously, and they have a say over how it's all used. They generally don't care about much in the way it applies to pinball specifically, they just need to know that it's been unmodified and isn't being used way out of context. Likenesses are a little more touchy, but pretty much the same. In short, gameplay changes mean nothing to them, but art and sounds mean everything.
As far as what we did before this, we've both held odd jobs and such just like any other American Joes, but I grew up under my father's arcade route and Aaron has been around helping out with the route since like 3rd grade

Hey Kevin. I know you mentioned it back a few posts, when it was brought up here, about a status update for build order. As previously mentioned, there have been some drops and as we all know others on the wait list usually filled the spot. Specifically what I am trying to say is what is the order now? I know this is like a, "Living Document" and changes often perhaps. Still, when you get a spare moment can you publish or email the latest list? I originally was number #90 (year I married my princess with a build # of 70. I kind of think I am not build #70 anymore and likely lower...just not sure how much lower

Hook a brother up will ya!

Peace and thanks...keep up the great work and people skills!!! Very respectable!

#4691 6 years ago

Sorry guys but I played this at the nw show and was awful.

Hopefully it's as you say and it's only because its stripped down.

However why take it to shows in this state when people will not like it? Won't that scare off potential customers cuz they will think it sucks?

#4692 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

However why take it to shows in this state when people will not like it? Won't that scare off potential customers cuz they will think it sucks?

I think they have answered this question here already. The guys decided they wanted to give people longer play times so they lowered the pitch and they also under powered the flippers to stop things from breaking.

For some of the hard core pinball players who just finished playing a blazing fast dialed in Tron I am sure Predator did seem slow . . . but that is a demo game they are lugging around the country and the point of it is to give people an idea of how it will play and how the music is and modes will be and what the dots will look like. I'm just glad they are bringing the prototype around to shows.

#4693 6 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of proto machines at conventions they seem to give some fans & potential buyers the wrong impression about a pin and its play. I have noticed that with some protos I have played at expos. Like to see them there but man somtimes the play & setup of a proto can turn potential customers away.

#4694 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Lulz, "why da game no finished fully. Only bring 100% completed games to shows".... F$@&

#4695 6 years ago

I am changing my plaque to "it's not a tumor"

#4696 6 years ago

It's a double-edged sword for sure to show the game as a work-in-progress.

It is a good thing that we have the option of not paying any more until we see the final game. So I'm not getting worked up one way or the other until the final product rolls out.

#4697 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I am changing my plaque to "it's not a tumor"

I need to think about my plaque. I want to change mine to.

#4698 6 years ago

I bet a lot of people will start their payment plan after the next big update.

#4699 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I bet a lot of people will start their payment plan after the next big update.

Yup.

As soon as the final 100% machine is shown I will be starting to put my money down. Not that I don't have faith or anything like that.... more of a principal thing.

Cant wait!

#4700 6 years ago
Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

Yup.
As soon as the final 100% machine is shown I will be starting to put my money down. Not that I don't have faith or anything like that.... more of a principal thing.
Cant wait!

I put a 3rd of the price down but that is all I'm putting down till I see more, the negative feedback lately has me a little apprehensive but I'm still pretty much confident that the game will be amazing. I understand that the prototype game was just to give people an idea of what the game is like. I wish they'd get an update out there so we could see the black light stuff since that was supposed to be shown in a video quite a while ago. I'm still fairly patient though

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 50.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 9,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 38.35
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 149.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside