View topic image gallery

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 143.
#4101 10 years ago

Speaking of gameplay, anyone posted a video this weekend? That would be cool.

#4103 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

When I make up my mind *if* I decide to bow out another pinhead will certainly get a shot as I know there is a line behind me. Trying to get others opinion who may be teetering like me. But thanks for trying to nudge me off the ledge over the cliff.

I didn't mean it in a bad way or to get your goat. Some of us won't be able to play it so we have to go with our gut about the look and play. If yours is telling you it isn't for you then you may not want someone to talk you out of it that is all I meant.

#4104 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I didn't mean it in a bad way or to get your goat. Some of us won't be able to play it so we have to go with our gut about the look and play. If yours is telling you it isn't for you then you may not want someone to talk you out of it that is all I meant.

Text conversations are sometimes very easy to misinterpret.

I like the coloring, the artwork, and would also like to see a bit of the gameplay and dmd stuff.

The bad: sent entire payment and haven't had a return email yet Skitbpinball! Wtheck??

You are teases with emails still Kevin. Send me a confirmation of $4500 received please!

Rick. " I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#4105 10 years ago

Rick! They're at a show this weekend bud!

#4106 10 years ago

The game play was great very fun. I was hoping the game would be further along with the mechanical parts. It still looked like a raw game. Lots of work still needs to be done. Hope the boys have a more completed game in hiding.

#4107 10 years ago

I'm hoping this is the same thing that happened with WOZ. Designing a machine while everyone looks on during the design process leaves you open to people critiquing an incomplete machine. With WOZ people argued endlessly about the incomplete code, the repetitive sound, the weak flippers etc, but now that it's close to finished most of those things worked themselves out. While I heard some negative feedback from some friends who played it, I'm still hoping it's just growing pains and I'll hang in there, for now.

#4108 10 years ago

Movie studios like to show test prints of movies to gauge the audience feedback and make tweaks to it. Things started getting difficult for them with the internet when people would start to review these unfinished movies.

So, I get that what we're looking at is a work in progress, what we see today is not the finished game.

Can skit-b tell us what is going on with the translite and cabinet art? What are your plans?

#4109 10 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

{but it was two weeks ago} said in a hushed whisper.

I have a couple of buds at the show this weekend. I'll see if they can get a sneak peek.

Rick. " I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#4110 10 years ago

BILLY! Come on , Billy!

Seriously, you can't really get a NIB pin for that price that is called Predator anywhere else. It will fit nicely in a large/medium collection. It's a good risk according to houseofpin and his sidekick junior. What more do you want?

back away from the ledge, head for the cake.

#4111 10 years ago

I agree that the blues in the playfield should be the same as the blues in the translite and the colors should be muted somewhat. It would tie the whole thing together so much better. From what I can tell looking at the pics, the playfield artwork at the show is an overlay. I hope they are still planning to do a printed and cleared playfield for the final product. Glad to hear the gameplay is fun!

#4112 10 years ago

We're just driving home from the show.
Predator was a highlight and it was awesome to finally meet the guys.

The toll of rushing to get this latest playfield into the game and making the long drive from northern Michigan was all over their faces on Friday morning, so a huge applause and thanks for making the effort guys!

I had the pleasure to also watch Kevin reach Showdown wizard mode and kick the tar out of the game It was awesome to see it being played well (after my weak performance).

The audio package is unreal and the FF kit almost had me wondering if the game had a shaker at times.
The playfield art looked good in game. Once the inserts get printed and the black key lining is added, it'll look as good as any production game.
Ramps were original and you can still see the plywood imprint from the vacuum forming. I have faith the production ones will be much nicer.
Remember that the game does not yet have plastics. Its gonna look a whole lot cooler once plastic art is layered over the playfield and toys/figures are added.

With my game being one of the first made, I will definitely be sending some money soon (while I have it )

JETZXI, I didn't talk to the guys about mirror blades but I guess black would look badass!
I could router out a channel for the uv lighting.
Once I take possession ill measure it up and give it a shot.

Thanks again to Kevin and Aaron

Adriano

#4113 10 years ago

Talking with Kevin he said mirror blades are going to be a big no no on this with the UV lighting and everything. There really won't be a need for them. It may have jungle decals on the walls to blend the theme together. They are looking into it still.

#4114 10 years ago

Thanks Drano!

#4115 10 years ago

I would like to see the blue gone all together. The translite and cabinet art is mostly black, so I think keeping with the dark theme, maybe start green at the bottom of the playfield and slowly fade to a dark green until you eventually reach the black at the top of the playfield. But I agree if the blue is there darken/mute it up a bit to coincide with the dark theme of translite and cabinet art.

Just my opinion and give the guys something to think about. Love what I saw and played last weekend!

#4116 10 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

The toll of rushing to get this latest playfield into the game and making the long drive from northern Michigan was all over their faces on Friday morning, so a huge applause and thanks for making the effort guys!

Agreed, I was so psyched when I saw the playfield in the game! Great job!

#4117 10 years ago

They have to know if they don't give us inside cab art a third party will.

Are y'all putting the metal leg mounting brackets like the new Sterns ? Please do Stop decal wrinkle before it starts!

#4118 10 years ago

I'm not convinced any side art or blades would be advisable as it'll really bring attention to the two long black L-bracket strips that run along the inside to hide the uv lighting.
Black blades is the most I would attempt, unless someone can come up with a decal strip for the L-bracket as well.

Right now it blends in nicely and you don't notice it.

#4119 10 years ago

We're good The_Dude_abides. Appreciate your clarification. That's why I'm hoping for some more live video to further review "the gut".

Quoted from rommy:

BILLY! Come on , Billy!

Seriously, you can't really get a NIB pin for that price that is called Predator anywhere else.

Quoted from rommy:

back away from the ledge, head for the cake.

All good points Rommy. Cake sounds like a good idea right now. Yummy.

#4120 10 years ago

What about respect? If your collection does not include Predator ... fuhgetaboutit

#4121 10 years ago

As mentioned...when i played the game I asked Kevin if they put a shaker motor in there. When he said no, it's just the sub woofer thingy, I suggested to use it with some low tones AS a shaker motor.
...the ramps are still proto and the real ones will be better. Someone at the show even said they would look into a metal ramp mod.
....and, yes, there will STILL be some surprises in store..
I personally thought the game played great. The Toys and Plastics Art will really bump it up a notch. Sounds were fantastic!

#4122 10 years ago

Billy >> something to talk you off of the ledge.

We have a amazing sub community in the predator crew and this will likely be one of the most tweaked and moded games in the future which in itself will be a blast. The ruleset is great and the shot layout feels good even on the proto games with proto parts. Everything else is merely cosmetic and we will all have a blast making improvements as the 250 lucky ones actually get them in our grubby mitts.

Also, if you bow out now there is a chance you will never be able to get one in the future.

I still love the idea that for a relatively cheap amount (compared to other games) I get to be along for this ride and support some guys like me (albeit with way more skill and knowledge) as they follow a dream.

#4123 10 years ago

Kevin, I'd love to know if you guys looked into the cost difference between plastic and metal ramps/habitrails? Was it ultimately just a design and cosmetic decision to go with plastic ramps, or was it a cost based decision?

#4124 10 years ago

Metal vs plastic has GOT to be a big difference....right?

#4125 10 years ago

Got to play the game a bunch and had a nice chat with Kevin.

I think the pics that were posted do as much justice as a video would have because there's not much extra to see right now, and you would've seen the flippers not making the ramp shots consistently and then everyone would've been in a huff about that. Kevin told me they turned the flipper strength down so that nothing broke and made the game unplayable during the show.

They got that playfield 2 days before and were able to assemble the game for the show, so it wasnt PERFECT, but the game still played great.

The modes and hunt buttons are integrated nicely into the game, in one mode you use the hunt buttons to pick the lit shot and going for hunt kills is great. Each of the six modes is challenging and fun.

The FF speakers were awesome and made me think they had put a shaker in the game like some other people have mentioned. So explosions and other sound effects were rumbling through your hands it was pretty cool. The other call outs, sounds, and music was cool, it really "immersed" you in the game and the speakers werent even cranked up very high at the show.

The game was has a simple layout, which we all know, but it was still very fun and lots to do between going for modes, multiball, hunts and hunt multiball, killing spree (shooting each shot 3 times), and ultimately showdown mode. Kevin said they are working on a way of tracking how many of each shot you have and how many hunts you have left, they are possibly going to be putting something for this on the back wall of the game. Even with the weaker flippers I was able to make a bunch of ramp/orbit combos which was great. They changed the middle targets so there is more cushion now and actually deadens the balls momentum so there was no air balls and less SDTM drains so they are safer to shoot for, but part of the strategy was to start hit the center targets during one of the multiball style modes so you didnt risk ending your ball as much.

The DMD did a great job of explaining what to do for each mode and the text is now in the classic Predator font which was cool.

If the UV paint works the way they want it to it is going to be awesome! There will be UV elements over some of the current artwork (like the characters being orange and blue like the predators heat vision) and there will be UV elements we have not seen yet, neon yellow blood splatter going up the shot lines and ramps, along with some possible other surprises.

They're planning on adding jungle foliage plastics which I think will be awesome once in place with the hanging body and predator claw.

I think that's about everything we talked about. At least all I can remember for now.

The game definitely had a "proto" type feel, but it was great to be able to play the game with the artwork, so I appreciate them getting it together in time for the show.

I didnt ask about potential art changes to the playfield or translite. I'll admit it doesnt match incredibly well but its definitely not a deal breaker for me.

#4126 10 years ago

So great to be hearing all this news. If I don't go hop in the pool right now my sons are going to kill me. Everything sounds great, but man, what happened to that great bone colored skull they showed us and who put strawberry jelly all over my wintergreen skull? Ha. Damn!

#4127 10 years ago

Apparently, BackAlley Matt only made one prototype which was shown at the Michigan Expo. He had to take it back with him to make more / do some modifications. That's why it wasn't at Allentown. I think the blood on the skull on the playfield looks fine in person.

#4128 10 years ago

did somebody saw or know what the apron will look like?

#4129 10 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

the blood on the skull on the playfield looks fine in person.

MmMmMMMmm.... Jam.....

simpHomerDrool_2006f.jpgsimpHomerDrool_2006f.jpg

#4130 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

did somebody saw or know what the apron will look like?

No, just a plain black one for now.

#4131 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Everything sounds great, but man, what happened to that great bone colored skull they showed us and who put strawberry jelly all over my wintergreen skull? Ha. Damn!

I think the art is starting to come together. I do hope they end up with darker shade of white on the big skull (use same white as on smaller skulls just below the inserts) and go with the same blood style/look that is currently on the left outlane on the skull. That would look great IMO. A darker shade of blue would also be a welcome change to the lower playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4132 10 years ago

I would've took video, but I am terrible at pinball.

#4133 10 years ago

I really like the way they went with the artwork, but they need to fix Arnold's shoulder, and the skull could use some yellowing instead of being so white.

#4134 10 years ago

I think the art is really coming together. I do hope they end up with darker shade of white on the big skull (use same white as on smaller skulls just below the inserts) and go with the same blood style/look that is currently on the left outlane on the skull. That would look great IMO. A darker shade of blue would also be a welcome change to the lower playfield.

I agree with the skull blood suggestion. Blood does NOT bead up like it is currently on the skull. I think that is what makes the current itteration so much more 'comic comic' and less 'comic gore'

#4135 10 years ago

why didn't they use this one?

V_5180.jpgV_5180.jpg

#4136 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

That skull looks good.

#4137 10 years ago

I Love the blood dripping down the outlane look

#4138 10 years ago

I'm too lazy to go back and look but wasn't it mentioned they were supposed to resemble maggot's or leaches or something?

#4139 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I Love the blood dripping down the outlane look

Me too. I was looking at it earlier thinking that was my favorite part of the playfield art thus far...I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

#4140 10 years ago

My only critiques are to keep this skull. V_5180.jpgV_5180.jpg

Lastly, take one of the "Predators" off of the translite or speaker panel. It probably only needs to be there once.

Quoted from Drano:

Remember that the game does not yet have plastics. Its gonna look a whole lot cooler once plastic art is layered over the playfield and toys/figures are added.

Cant wait to see the whole pin put together now. At the Michigan show it was the whitewood with some of the toys. PA show now has the playfield. When the plastics, inserts, toys and final art its going to look friggen incredible.

Quoted from MagicMako:

If the UV paint works the way they want it to it is going to be awesome! There will be UV elements over some of the current artwork (like the characters being orange and blue like the predators heat vision) and there will be UV elements we have not seen yet, neon yellow blood splatter going up the shot lines and ramps, along with some possible other surprises.

A first and I think this is going to turn out to be a neat surprise when it's finished!

#4141 10 years ago

I cant wait!

#4142 10 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Lastly, take one of the "Predators" off of the translite or speaker panel.

It's coming off of Speaker Panel.

#4143 10 years ago

Everyone seems to be concerned about the center targets, but I guess between that darn triceratops on JP plus RFM and Spiderman, I'm used to shooting things that cause the ball to go straight down the middle... so bring it on! I'm excited to see possible stacked plastics though, because I think a jungle canopy look would be cool.

#4144 10 years ago

I played a bunch of games and hitting the center targets never sent the ball down the middle.

#4145 10 years ago

Yep, me neither. Not a concern. The ball lock (claw) on the left was really different. I like it.

Quoted from spfxted:

I played a bunch of games and hitting the center targets never sent the ball down the middle.

#4146 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The ball lock (claw) on the left was really different. I like it.

Yeah! Can't wait to see that all done...

#4147 10 years ago

The game looks terrible, abandon all hope now, 1k by Christmas......just doing what I can, I'm still on the waiting list.

Edit: Let me add that IMHO the sounds, lights and rules are really what bring a game to life. If they are good the game will be good, as long as the playfield offers enough satisfying shots and doesn't have any really bad playing aspects. Predator looks like it will be fun.

#4148 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Everyone seems to be concerned about the center targets, but I guess between that darn triceratops on JP plus RFM and spiderman, I'm used to shooting things that cause the ball to go straight down the middle... so bring it on! I'm excited to see possible stacked plastics though, because I think a jungle canopy look would be cool.

Agreed, the stacked plastics was mentioned earlier in the thread when I posted the special forces pinball pic...I'm glad Kevin and Co listened because it will make the game stand out form the other machines...very few pinballs have the stacked plastics.

#4149 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Pretty sure those are still the prototype ramps, so not concerned about that.

They are. Final ramps are coming along nicely. Hoping to have them installed before North West.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I think the spine they showed before wasn't actually built to mount in the game. It looked more like a medical model. Maybe we'll see a new spine soon...

It sure was. All of the toys will make their return. For now they are over at BackAlley being reproduced.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

it looks like there's some tiny registration issues around the inserts where the art doesn't line up quite right.

You're right. This weekend's game was a simple overlay we had applied for the show. If you look closely, you'll see that all of the inserts are off by the same amounts in the same directions, so we're pretty hopeful that it lines up exactly for when "proper" playfields are made.

Quoted from Jetzxi:

It looks like it has come a long way but it looks like it still has a ways to go.

It does and it doesn't, really. It's still pretty early in this build to say, but we've had literally ZERO problems with the game that we hadn't already noted and are taking care of right now. I know that's good news for everyone here, but I can tell you I slept better after this weekend than I have in months! Losing all sense of modesty, I'll ask you to picture the game with the proper ramps, flashers and plastics on it and tell me what you think

Quoted from Jetzxi:

I`m sure they will be going full bore again after this weekends show. I wasn't expecting to see a populated playfield with artwork, that's for sure.

We haven't slowed down a bit. I would be lying to you all if I didn't say that the manufacturing end of this project doesn't just suck, and it has already proven to be the most trying part of the process, but we are pressing on and getting everything in order.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

they are further along than I thought. Very impressive.

Like I stated above, the machine is super close to being completed. One must remember that for everything they see on the game, there is much more done and waiting to be finalized and installed.

Quoted from Jetzxi:

how are we going to do the mirror blades on this with that light strip going along the sides? Any ideas? Or do we have to go mirrorless on this one?

If you look a little closer, you can see that the UV bars are actually attached to the playfield, not the sides. Mirror blades will install in Predator just the same as any other game. I can't guarantee how well the mirrors will mesh with all those lights, though.

You know it's been green from the beginning but after you say red, and I look at it, it would make sense considering it would look like the predators target.

UV layer?

Quoted from shootar:

Should make the bumper caps hut roofs ala special forces

Ew, no lol

Quoted from beatmaster:

does that uv lights gonna fade the artwork?

Shouldn't. LED wavelength is much different than fluorescent wavelength, after all.

Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Kevin and Aaron it was great hanging out and talking with you guys again.

Thanks, Jim Was great to talk to and hang with so many of you all over the weekend, even if I wasn't able to spend a heck of a lot of time at the game, personally. Thanks to all who came out!

I showed it to the fiancé for the first time who is my fiancé now due to this game!!

PLEASE explain this; sounds very interesting!

Quoted from badbilly27:

Not sure how UV artwork will work now too with final coloring.

The coloring choices have a lot to do with the UV, overall. I'm going to throw together a "midnight run" video pretty soon so you guys can see this beast at night. Again, tossing modesty to the wind, it is certainly something none of us have seen before in pinball, and the effect nails exactly what we were shooting for from day one.

Some of us won't be able to play it so we have to go with our gut about the look and play.

Come out to Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show and play it, Dude.

Quoted from underlord:

Send me a confirmation of $4500 received please!

Emails are moving along better than usual, believe it or not. After the first email went out explaining optional payment info, you can imagine we've been flooooooded. Expect a reply very soon.

That, too

Quoted from frolic:

Can skit-b tell us what is going on with the translite and cabinet art? What are your plans?

We have other plans for the speaker panel; as of right now, we are about 99% sure that we will be using a different speaker panel, altogether, which will not have the Predator title on it (but probably will have a Skit-B logo). As far as the other cabinet art, I don't see it changing much, if at all. As was said, the playfield art looks "90's" and, honestly, playfield art and cabinet art almost never "matched" back then. Justifications aside, cabinet art and playfield art are meant to do two very different things, and they've been designed separately to do those things. I can go into this a little further, if someone would like. That's not to say we aren't listening about the two art styles "clashing," just wanting to clarify intentions a little bit.

Quoted from rommy:

It's a good risk according to houseofpin and his sidekick junior.

I don't get it... Is this a reference to something I've missed somewhere?

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

From what I can tell looking at the pics, the playfield artwork at the show is an overlay. I hope they are still planning to do a printed and cleared playfield for the final product.

Yes and yes. We needed a test of the art on a playfield before greenlighting the real deal, and a cheap overlay meant to last through the weekend only was a great way to do that. Final product will be printed and clearcoated to last longer than I will...

Quoted from Drano:

Just to clarify, this was Aaron's idea We got the playfield printed on Tuesday and had in done and installed on Thursday at about 9PM, from which we drove straight into Allentown and got the game set up at about 11AM on Friday. I know I looked like a train wreck and I probably wasn't much of a joy to be around on Friday, but in the end it was worth it. We had a great show, got to meet up with a bunch of people again and had a fantastic time. It's also very nice to know that our sleepless labor was not only noticed, but applauded Thanks, Drano!

Quoted from Drano:

I had the pleasure to also watch Kevin reach Showdown wizard mode and kick the tar out of the game It was awesome to see it being played well

Heheh, thanks, again. Predator is meant to be "long-played," as I call it. A quick, two-minute game just doesn't do the machine justice. Predator has been known to draw quite the crowd when you reach the higher levels of what it can do.

Quoted from Drano:

The audio package is unreal and the FF kit almost had me wondering if the game had a shaker at times.

Flipper Fidelity is the real deal, for sure. We had the speakers at about 60% for the show, as to not drown out the Cactus Canyon Continued project next to us

Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Talking with Kevin he said mirror blades are going to be a big no no on this with the UV lighting and everything. There really won't be a need for them. It may have jungle decals on the walls to blend the theme together. They are looking into it still.

Like I said earlier, mirror blades may be a bit much on this game because of the intensity and direction of the lights being used. Mirroring all of that will probably just make it a mess, but you never know, it might be awesome... And yes, we are looking into doing some simple jungle decaling to the insides of the cabinet. More on that later.

Quoted from rommy:

Are y'all putting the metal leg mounting brackets like the new Sterns ? Please do Stop decal wrinkle before it starts!

I think I know which ones you are talking about. If they're the same ones I'm thinking of, then yes, we are. There are new cabinet-mounted leg protectors standard on all new VirtuaPin cabinets, and we are getting them, as well.

Quoted from flashburn:

Kevin, I'd love to know if you guys looked into the cost difference between plastic and metal ramps/habitrails? Was it ultimately just a design and cosmetic decision to go with plastic ramps, or was it a cost based decision?

We looked into it very much, and this is what we came up with:

Metal pros: Look nice, last forever.

Metal cons: blocks view, costs 5x as much, takes 3 contractors to make them, takes 3x as long to make, repro market down the line is next to impossible.

Plastic pros: Doesn't block shot views, easy to work with, easy to clean, costs 20% as much as metal, takes 1 contractor to get them made, 3x quicker to produce, repro market is very possible, we can over-run them cost-effectively, smoother shot-paths.

Plastic cons: More difficult to prototype, more breakable than metal, lack the "style" of metal, more work to assemble initially.

Too weathered and "old." Predator doesn't hunt for ripe trophies; he hunts for fresh trophies!

Quoted from kvan99:

Agreed, the stacked plastics was mentioned earlier in the thread when I posted the special forces pinball pic

Stacked plastics has been in the plans since day one. How could you play Predator without being lost in the jungle!? The huts on the pop caps...not so much

#4150 10 years ago

Kevin, you are the best, really.

So is the playfield artwork still being tweaked? My only big problems with it are the blood on the Predator skull looking like jam, and Arnold's odd pose/shoulder. Other than that, I'm really digging it.

There are 7,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread/page/83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.