Topic Stats

• 7,117 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 590 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 143.
#3351 6 years ago

Yes, only 250 will be made. All have been claimed since last Oct, and there is a waiting list. Some did move off the waiting list to the "official list" on March 15 when initial deposits were due, but it was less than 10% and there is still a waiting list. Not sure how long it is, but email Kevin a d get on it just in case. You never know what may happen when they ask for money again. (Half when it is your turn, half before delivery.)

#3352 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

It looks cool. but if I'm reading this right there only making 250?
if thats the case I'm just waisting my time reading about it since I'm never going to get my hands on one...

May be not. Plenty of reasons to keep reading this thread:
- there is a waiting list - so there is hope
- Skit-B will hopefully make a second pin
- there are wonderful people around

#3353 6 years ago

I am interested in seeing the rest of the toys. I hope the dangling body gets added to something so that it shakes or even sways.

#3354 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

if thats the case I'm just waisting my time reading about it since I'm never going to get my hands on one...

Contact Skit-B and have your name added to the waiting list. More people may drop off when the final payment needs to be made.

#3355 6 years ago

I agree with all the comments on the art, but as I mentioned a couple of days ago, it would be no big deal to adjust the colours and tones in photoshop at this point.
The art has to be digitized (I'm assuming it already is) for final production... so may as well try out some adjustments in "post" and see what works best.

The toys/figures are nothing short of fantastic! I would love the entire pin to carry through that dark theme. Currently there does seem to be a small disconnect... but I'm willing to wait and see. The guys have done good so far. I have no reason to expect anything less from the final product.

#3356 6 years ago

Please, someone make sure to take video of updated dots on display.

Oh, in hi-def.

Oh, good angles!

Oh, newest toys and how they may work.

Just kiddin'.

(No I'm not.)

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#3357 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I emailed Kevin in the middle of March requesting to be added to the waiting list and by the end of March I got confirmation that I was 9th on the list and that I was pretty much guaranteed a spot/machine! Go for it!!

#3358 6 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Could be just lines an facial expressions. This is some of James' other work. Guy can draw

Given the back glass art style this is more like what I was expecting... A darker, high tech look. The color palette choice, the huts/arts explosion and characters art style give an overall cartoonish look to the PF. The toys look great.

#3359 6 years ago

If the art is being tweaked, maybe the helicopter blades should be blurred a little to give the illusion of motion.

#3360 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I wasn't involved in WOZ, Tron Legacy, X-Men etc, etc....didn't stop me reading up about them though

#3361 6 years ago

How cool is it, that we can make suggestions, add opinions and know the makers of this pin actually give a crap? A lot of folks (especially artist) take offense at criticism. Not Skit-B.

#3362 6 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

Not to derail, but a super lame question for those of you active at this hour: do you claim to already "own" Predator as part of your lineup...assuming you've put your deposit down? I know it's a dumb question, I was just curious.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Nope. Just like every other game... I don't own it till it is in my house.

Yeah. I don't add the game until it's in my possession. Kind of superstitious (and realistic) that way.

Quoted from tonycip:

As others have said, get on the wait list. It certainly can't hurt. And there is a good chance many people on it will get games when the time for real money comes up, and some bail.

I agree with the comments many have said about the colors. I was looking for a darker tone as well, but I believe the SkitB guys will figure out what works best. And the toys are awesome, with the skull being maybe the coolest one on a pin Ive seen.

I think they may still be a little ambitious with their timeline, but it certainly appears they are moving forward at a good pace. Im more excited for the game now than I was when I first read about it. And Im usually a pessimist.

#3363 6 years ago

According to that video, they want to start shipping games by may/june.

#3364 6 years ago

I added it to my current AND wish lists. There! Nyah!
And has anyone had a chance to get some of that sweet, sweet dmd action yet?
Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#3365 6 years ago

Has anyone at the show got some real play time in on this yet?

#3366 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

According to that video, they want to start shipping games by may/june.

I heard BUILDING not shipping games in may or june. Big difference.

#3367 6 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

How cool is it, that we can make suggestions, add opinions and know the makers of this pin actually give a crap? A lot of folks (especially artist) take offense at criticism. Not Skit-B.

Any kind of graphic artist or designer who takes a lot of personal offense at criticism isn't going to last very long in the field. Dubay and SkitB are class acts.

#3368 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Fair enough. I'd be curious to hear how long the process takes.

#3369 6 years ago

It's important that Kevin says, it's his best guess when games will be shipped. Let's not start THAT shitstorm again! I'd be thrilled having games by Christmas...and, if not, no biggie!

#3370 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Has anyone at the show got some real play time in on this yet?

I put at least 20 games on it over the weekend. I was not sold till I finally got this amount of time on it. Now I am really happy I got in and put down my deposit quite a while ago.

#3371 6 years ago

I too played many games, and it seems pretty cool.

But I have a question I was wondering if someone can give me an answer too:

How come some games use plastic ramps (in this case on PRED) rather than the wire habitrail ramps that are on other games? Is it simply a more cost effective route to take? Are there advantages to these plastic ramps? Just curious as I think many games (PRED included) would look better with the wire-form ramps. ***(I am not criticizing, just wondering, I love Skit-B)!!!***

Thanks for the intel!

#3372 6 years ago

Man, that is great news. As I've been saying this I got in on this project last year, if they are shipping games by Christmas 2013 they have really accomplished something special in an amazing amount of time with nothing more than energy and determination. That's awesome.

#3373 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

wow, it looks real..thanks. I'm downloading it and sending it out to my friend to blow his mind.

Well, since the last one was missing the Skull/bones, top inserts and left scoop, here is the latest with those elements added. When shooting the ball into the VUK, now it appears to come out of the skull. Here is a screenshot of it. Cool effect, and I look forward to seeing it for real at the next show! Predator-VP.jpg

#3375 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I put at least 20 games on it over the weekend. I was not sold till I finally got this amount of time on it. Now I am really happy I got in and put down my deposit quite a while ago.

I was curious about this, game play wise.

Some people have said this game looks like BSD (but without any magent trick). I was curious, there seems to be Zero interactive toys. I know some might call the hanging bodies or the skull 'toys', but to me, they are what I would call non-interactive figures or art (such as the skull in T2). I don't see any toys that actually interacts with the ball, I mean like a drop target or drop bank target or a magnet or a spinning disc, a claw, a cannon or whatever.

I'm not trying to put the game down, maybe it is super cool. I'm just trying to ask, since I usually see modern game with some type of magnet (or whatnot spinning disk in Tron etc.) does this game feel like it's missing something by being more of just a straightforward shooting pin (more like a pin from the 80s such as a system 11 pin)?

edit, I have never played much of older type pins, I mean mostly from T2 onward. Just looking at the above mock-up, seems like pretty much just the 2 stand up targets and the 2 ramps and the loops and drop hole are all the up the field shots.

thanks.

#3376 6 years ago

I agree. Kevin did mention that some of the toys would be interactive but when I look at the playfield, I am not sure where they would go. Anyone got any ideas?

#3377 6 years ago

I was wondering about the interactive toys too - not sure how they play into the game. I am looking for moving parts???

#3378 6 years ago

I really love the guys from Skit-B they have a lot of enthusiasm, you can tell. I just am curious if two stand-up targets, is that really enough? Just curious, for people who have played it do you think there is enough 'wow' to the game?

I don't want to sound critical in any way, just trying to get some more feel for the game if people have played it could they give some details?

#3379 6 years ago

About the toys, the bodies will swing, the skull drops the ball, and the hole on the left will have the claw where the ball shoots out.

Skit-B also said "no toy bashing" so if you're looking for a Frankenstein or Optimus Prime, I don't think that's gonna happen.

Also, whoever guessed that the skull would be where the ball dropped out of way back when we first saw it, Nice guess.

#3380 6 years ago

The game is a prototype. I am unable to judge the full game until it is complete.

That said, I was (still am) IN because of the coding. I am assuming at this stage that SkitB will make ALL other features of the game at a similar level as the code. They are open to and readily make adjustments when the owners speak. I wish I was able to make more suggestions, but this is not my vision and I am really just along for the ride. For the most part I like what I see and am trying my best not to be overly critical just too have an impact. Other raise good/differing points already on every update and I am guessing the team has enough to filter anyway...

When playing it the shot layout was plenty satisfying to me. I am assuming there will be some more oblong targets to fill a few spots or on the sides? (like many games have). Currently the left side of the pf is still sparse (room for additions to left side of game and also in front of left most pop and left ramp post?) I did not miss any interactive toys at this time, but am also assuming that some of the other toys will be genuinely interactive when implemented and that will be nice. I do think the hanging bodies will actually be on some sort of trigger (ala martians in AFM) and what we saw at MPE was just a place holder so we could actually see the toy in person. I am also assuming there will be some sort of randomizer (magnets?) in the finished game, esp since the pops currently do very little to randomize the game (i.e. causing more drains).

I also think it plays in 'feel' like a fishtales. Fast and hard, but a WHOLE LOT OF FUN. I guess I would also say that FT plays like a slightly older game >> straight forward ruleset but tough to master/score big.

If I were to have any sort of criticism as this stage, the 2 stand up targets dead center will take a beating just based on position. They need to be reinforced and not cheap. The ones on the proto are bent all sorts of ways from the continual beating.

#3381 6 years ago

I think in the world of pinball, interactive means different things to different people. Predator toys are interactive in the sense that they aren't just off to the side as decoration. I'm glad they didn't just go to Walmart, buy some figurines in bulk, make it a bash toy and call it a day.

#3382 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am also assuming there will be some sort of randomizer (magnets?) in the finished game, esp since the pops currently do very little to randomize the game (i.e. causing more drains).

From what they have said I doubt any magnets will be going in the game. That is one of my concerns as well that left side seems pretty bare and the only randomizers appear to be the two targets. I guess how the two ejects kick the ball into the pops may provide some unexpected gameplay but I'm also wondering if that is enough.

#3383 6 years ago

If they're planning to build soon, I would think that the game as we see it (with minor color changes, etc) is what will be the final game. Certainly the playfield and shot layout is done.

#3384 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

From what they have said I doubt any magnets will be going in the game. That is one of my concerns as well that left side seems pretty bare and the only randomizers appear to be the two targets. I guess how the two ejects kick the ball into the pops may provide some unexpected gameplay but I'm also wondering if that is enough.

I'd love to see if Kevin would respond to this concern. I tend to agree, as things currently appear, the left side seems bare. It could use some more standup targets, but I doubt that will happen at this point.

#3385 6 years ago

Well, I'm trying to like the play field and keep looking at it to figure out why I don't...that said, it really doesn't matter much to me, the code, game play is what matters most....

I just hope they can make this thing for $4750 and still do well for themselves....when you are only sourcing 250 of anything I wouldn't think you'd be getting a whole lot of volume discounts...I read somewhere it cost Gene 6k to do BBB....

What an undertaking, these guys have got to be admired for their efforts! I just hope they make enough money to stay around and do it again...

#3386 6 years ago

I thought that the point of them being a non-profit company right now was that they aren't actually making any profit on the Predator run, and anything they do make is being put back into the company so they they can grow it. I think this is a "look what we can do, take us seriously" venture and they'll plan to make money on the next game. You've got to prove what you can do, and so far these guys certainly are doing that. Like they said on the video, people are taking notice and/or taking them more seriously now.

#3387 6 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I thought that the point of them being a non-profit company right now was that they aren't actually making any profit on the Predator run, and anything they do make is being put back into the company so they they can grow it. I think this is a "look what we can do, take us seriously" venture and they'll plan to make money on the next game. You've got to prove what you can do, and so far these guys certainly are doing that. Like they said on the video, people are taking notice and/or taking them more seriously now.

Agreed. As a non-profit they can still pay themselves some salaries by the way.

I think the biggest difference now from a few months ago is the confidence level everyone has in these guys working out of their basements and garages (with no financial backing and no usable deposits) and that people really believe this project is going to get completed and that they will get their machine.

There are so many start up pinball companies right now and I doubt half the machines planned to be built by all these companies will see the light of day. They will turn into after thoughts like the Crocodile Hunter game or the remakes of Kingpin, CC or MM. We now know that one day (and in the not too distant future) we will have a Predator pinball machine.

What an exciting project to get to be a part of!!!

#3388 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. As a non-profit they can still pay themselves some salaries by the way.

Out of curiosity, they aren't really a 501c3 are they?....

Quoted from blondetall:

I think this is a "look what we can do, take us seriously" venture and they'll plan to make money on the next game. You've got to prove what you can do, and so far these guys certainly are doing that. Like they said on the video, people are taking notice and/or taking them more seriously now.

I get that for sure so essentially they are doing this for "cost", whatever that is?

Why would they take ALL the risk? Maybe in the future they will be the first cost plus pin maker

What if you could pick options ala carte?

#3389 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Out of curiosity, they aren't really a 501c3 are they?....

I am not sure; early on they said they were going to go the non-profit rout but they have looked into and decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

#3390 6 years ago

Im looking forward to the next video showing the latest build (hopefully including the flashers, and other lighting)! Also would like to see more 'interactive toys' in place on the machine. I hope they have something planned for the lower left of the pf as well as the upper left- there seems to be a lot of unused playfield in that area.

#3391 6 years ago

Was looking through the old pages looking for a part confirming drop target info and found this on the art.

Quoted from playboywillis:

I have no problem with 5% without a playfield pic first, but would like to know if the drawings of the soldiers are rough drafts or not. Blaine looks awesome, but the other dudes kind of look like caricatures of themselves. It's better than I can draw, but it would look funny to have real pics of the guys on the trans, and then hand drawn pictures of them below that look kinda funny.

And their reply.

Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Shooting for a comic-book style with the characters, and so far they're looking exactly how they were envisioned. Take a close look at Hawkins in the art. In the show he spends most of his time playing the role of a bit of a doofus, but he's still a hardened, special-ops soldier and the art reflects that perfectly.

Looks pretty good in that Visual Pin mockup luvthatapex put up IMO

#3392 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can you expand on your experience with the game, especially regarding shot count and the left side of the playfield? Shot count has been in the back of my mind ever since I saw the first whitewood. Count is not everything, and lots does not necessarily equal fun, I know that. But since others are voicing their, concerns?, I'd like to hear more from someone who's actually played a while.

I just played Tron today for the first time. Probably got 10 games in on it. It wasn't a life changing pinball moment like so many people lead me to expect but it was pretty fun. The whole time though I was thinking to myself, "Holy shit! Look at all the different shots that are packed into this field compared to my Predator." Again, that's not everything, and honestly it's not even the primary thing that makes pinball fun, but since I've gotten to play so much more lately, and since others are mentioning it too, it'd be nice to hear some reassurance.

#3393 6 years ago

It's is a good point, I own Tron and don't feel like it has too many shots, don't feel like they are crowded on top of each other. Here is what I can recall from Tron maybe someone can contrast that to Predator.

Tron main shots:

Left orbit
Left ramp
Side shot ramp third flipper
Third flipper Gem shot
Middle orbit
Center drop bank of targets
spinning disc behind drop bank
Right orbit through the pops
Arcade scoop
Skill shot far right of Arcade (not flipper shot)

Secondary shots :

TRON target bank 4 shots
ZEUS targets 4 shots
Roll over outlines CLU 3 (not flipper shot)

Looks like 17 shots off the flippers counting all targets, not sure about Predator but could be less than 9 shots.

#3394 6 years ago

Well, Predator is a 2 flipper game, so the apples to apples comparison would be another 2 flipper game. Since ac/dc is the top of the current games, can someone compare it to that?

#3395 6 years ago

Small shot count games can be fun. Look at Doctor Who, as an example. The playfield layout to Predator looks a lot like BSD, which is a pretty awesome game. I'm not concerned about this game lacking shots.

Check out their video where they go through shots and show some you can hit with back hands from a half craddle, they are thinking about shots very carefully.

#3396 6 years ago

I've been playing this VP recreation of Predator and the flow is definately there, but in my opinion it would be more fun to have more than 2 targets.

There are 2 scoops, a VUK, 2 targets, 3 bumpers, top rollovers, inlanes and outlanes. I think if there was a 3 target bank on the left it would balance it out.

The software rules/sounds are terrific in the game so far and I am sure the lighting will be very cool. It shouldn't be hard to add a bank or 2 of targets and keep the existing layout. The extra targets would give you things to hit, which is what most people like in pinball.

#3397 6 years ago

The software rules/sounds are terrific in the game so far and I am sure the lighting will be very cool

Are they doing all LED lighting? I can't remember.

#3398 6 years ago

I SEEM to remember it was...

#3399 6 years ago

I had a chance to play the crap outta Predator last fall at the Michigan Expo. If I had to compare it to a modern machine, I'd say it's actually a lot like a "mirrored" Terminator 2 pin just with a heck of a lot deeper ruleset.
-Both make good use of the ramps with alternating shots that return it to the opposite flipper
-Both have a drop shot that can be hit with a nice back-hand
-Both have another drop shot on the far side of the playfield
-Both have minimal targets that you actually aim at (Predator has the two right in the middle that you need to be careful hitting or you run the risk of some serious SDTM action, and T2 basically just has the three below the pop bumpers that are actual planned hits - the others for kickback are typically just slop from the slings and the targets below the HK are really only worth anything from the skill shot)
-Both have a high set of three bumpers that are accessed via an orbit shot
-The flow of the game seemed very similar in the two
-Both have great hand drawn artwork.

The number of stand up targets isn't a big issue for me. When I think of my favorite genres of pinball machines and my favorite games the stand up targets are almost irrelevant in most cases and are usually something I seldom aim for such as MM (the troll targets are the only ones I usually end up having to try for, even then they usually just get hit enough during a mulitball), IJ (Williams) the POA targets are again usually just from slop with the three drop targets front and center pretty similar to Predator, TZ - other than the clock, the greed targets again are usually just hit from slop and usually not a specific shot.

Anywho... I'd love to hear more details about the actual Predator game play and any new modes/features that have been updated since last fall.

#3400 6 years ago

Lighting will be LED but if you prefer it not to be they can put in regular bulbs upon request.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 137.00
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 19.95
There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside