View topic image gallery

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 143.
#1001 11 years ago

Interflip playfields were the best at resisting wear.

Zaccaria playfields were likely the second best.

#1002 11 years ago

First, I trust you guys will come up with the best possible descision.
Second, If you decide to go CPR I wouldnt worry about a few extra 100 to get the quality.
Thanks for all the effort guys!!

#1003 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

If you decide to go CPR I wouldnt worry about a few extra 100 to get the quality.

+1

#1004 11 years ago

Ok, voicing my opinion as per instructed.

Do what you feel is ok for a bar setting. Drinking aggravated players, having a long day, feeling the stress, taking it out on the pin. Ball wear on a commercial product and ease of cleaning. If it is a laminate, two ply overlay, or what the F#*k ever, they don't care. Keep prices within a set range, build the vision you originally thought of, and do what you have to to build these f**kers.

Don't give two craps about 5 or 10 years down the road. Glad you guys kept this on the down-low while the software and PF design was being done, or else the public would of had you trying to program in circles.

Just build the god-darned pins. Stop asking for opinions and just TELL US what you're doing AFTER it's implemented.

Keep the project alive with your team and friends and let us giggle or boo as we will.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun" #190

#1005 11 years ago

It's always possible you will come up with something even better than the traditional method.

#1006 11 years ago

What was said in my earlier post was just voicing concern and maybe pointing out the obvious but by no means complaining or jumping ship. I haven't been this excited for a game in quite some time. Now on that note obviously I'm sure I speak for most when I say we would like to keep cost as low as you can but if its not feasible I'll gladly pay more but I would love to see someone make something groundbreaking in pinball by means of being indestructible for the playfield or as close as you can come. I've got another question regarding the contractor for the playfields, is this a company that is familiar with pinball playfields in any way? Or were you serious about military grade process? Also would be good if you could throw one out in the wild with this new type of playfield and let it get about 20k plays on it.

I hope this contractor can pull it off. I've still got my money burning a hole in my pocket with predator written all over it so no worries and thank you from a fan of yours for being so forthcoming with information. I have no doubt when we look back on pins in 10+ years this will be on top of the best of list.

#1007 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I have no doubt when we look back on pins in 10+ years this will be on top of the best of list.

Or it may not be. Kevin, Just build them and let us decide. Cheers!

#1008 11 years ago

"There's something in those trees." #242

#1009 11 years ago

Do it the way u r planning it: use a new technology that was not existing in the golden era of pinball. Sounds pretty cool and as it helps to hold the costs down: Go 4 it! I don’t share the opinion that this a deal breaker 4 anyone. Military technology? Man, that suits Predator . Don’t be disappointed that quite a few comments were not that nice than more than thousand before: That’s the way men react when they enter new terrain, just natural but nevertheless away in a second when they see the product and hear the result of your stress test and durability out in the wild.

#1010 11 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Or it may not be. Kevin, Just build them and let us decide. Cheers!

Well obviously it may not be. I was trying to have a positive outlook.

#1011 11 years ago

My vote is for something new, bad ass, less expensive and indestructible. My guess is you guy'll be able to tell if it'll past muster. Please don't go old school for nostalgia's sake, but if you do, go Sonic, not Williams.

Just sayin'...

#1012 11 years ago

I am thinking of a few lines from the movie that I like:
- You lose it here, you're in a world of hurt.
- You're one ugly motherf&!@#er
- I ain't got time to bleed
The other option is just my name but is that boring?

#1013 11 years ago

I think it is great that they are looking at alternatives to traditional playfield screening. As per the email that I sent to Kevin, I hope that they will offer the purchasing of additional playfields or plastic sets. I always like to keep back-up stock.

#1014 11 years ago

No one asked. How much would the increase be exactly. And were we looking at 4750 or 5k?

Tip: underlord. Drop the "I'm"

#1015 11 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

No one asked. How much would the increase be exactly. And were we looking at 4750 or 5k?
Tip: underlord. Drop the "I'm"

Still $4750

#1016 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

First, I trust you guys will come up with the best possible descision.
Second, If you decide to go CPR I wouldnt worry about a few extra 100 to get the quality.

This. A few extra hundred bucks for a big quality boost is well worth it in my view. Easily.

#1017 11 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

You shouldn't look at our opinions as a drawback.

Oh, I certainly don't. We definitely didn't join up on forums for the sake of shameless free promotion or to sit around and hear how awesome we are. This is the exact reason we wanted to become active in the community as developers; so we can get feedback on certain ideas and implementations BEFORE they are cemented in place. The last thing we want is that feeling of "this is what we're doing, take it or leave it."

Quoted from Marc:

the word "overlay" brings to mind very bad thoughts.

That's very true. Kinda does sound like "sticker on wood" in this context. I promise it isn't

Quoted from Whysnow:

worth noting that I finally got my email just now.

A message to my email service provider: Don't impose limitations on software developers. They may just develop software to circumvent them.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's always possible you will come up with something even better than the traditional method.

That's what we're looking into these options for. In the event that 'innovation' becomes 'half-assing it,' we'll go with the tried-and-true instead.

is this a company that is familiar with pinball playfields in any way? Or were you serious about military grade process?

In short, no. We had a representative of the company come out to my home to talk about the project and what they could do. When he took a look at Shadow (my cleanest game), he pointed at the playfield and said "that's what I do." The best part was that he immediately noticed the sanctum wear (of course) and pointed out not only why that happened, but how his exact process would disallow such a thing. And yes, it's seriously a military grade process. When we went to pick up our prototype blank with the test application, we legally weren't allowed to enter the building further than the entrance doors and we had to sit with designated security personnel while we waited. Not to say it wasn't a pleasurable experience; everyone was very nice and professional, but it was certainly a 'different' day...

I have no doubt when we look back on pins in 10+ years this will be on top of the best of list.

No pressure

Quoted from underlord:

Completely off-topic, but this is my favorite "plate quote." It's something of a shop-joke around here, as well. Many times when something in the software doesn't work as intended, I'll go back over to my desk and implement what I think a fix for it would be. If it gets to the point where I've tried like three or four things and it's still acting up, I slouch and kind of 'crawl' out of my chair while lumbering towards the machine to test it again repeating "I'm gonna have me some fun" just like Mac does in the movie. We may be a lot of things over here, but admittedly, we're nerds first...

Quoted from sensfreak:

- You lose it here, you're in a world of hurt.

I love this one, as well. Would certainly make the game stand out in a lineup, especially to people who aren't immersed in pinball. As a casual pinballer, they would see a bunch of machines with their varying themes, then see the Predator sporting skinned swinging bodies, Arnold in the middle of a bunch of explosions on the playfield, the ominous Predator art on the side of the head, a claw on the playfield that physically steals the ball out of the jungle, and an engraving on the apron that says "you lose it here...you're in a world of hurt." They might be a little scared at that point, but either way they will know it's not your average game. Honorable mention would also go to "Makes Cambodia look like Kansas."

Quoted from sensfreak:

The other option is just my name but is that boring?

I don't think it's boring, it's meant to make it a little more personal. I think originally a few people were trying to leave their name off for potential resale value, and just had to come up with something to fill in the space and it just kind of grew from there.

#1018 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This. A few extra hundred bucks for a big quality boost is well worth it in my view. Easily.

Why pay more for old tech? Try something new. There will be more demand than supply for the game so those that dont support your vision can drop out.

Its your machine. We're just buying them....

#1019 11 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

Its your machine. We're just buying them....

We appreciate your angle here, but I kinda see it as exactly the opposite. It's your machine. We're just building them...

#1020 11 years ago

Is the new PF tech mean an all composite PF, or is wood still used? Elimination of all wood for the PF would be great. No swelling, cracking, planking, splintering, etc...

#1021 11 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Completely off-topic, but this is my favorite "plate quote." It's something of a shop-joke around here, as well. Many times when something in the software doesn't work as intended, I'll go back over to my desk and implement what I think a fix for it would be. If it gets to the point where I've tried like three or four things and it's still acting up, I slouch and kind of 'crawl' out of my chair while lumbering towards the machine to test it again repeating "I'm gonna have me some fun" just like Mac does in the movie. We may be a lot of things over here, but admittedly, we're nerds first...

It's true I've seen it myself, might even have done it myself a couple of times.

In short, no. We had a representative of the company come out to my home to talk about the project and what they could do. When he took a look at Shadow (my cleanest game), he pointed at the playfield and said "that's what I do." The best part was that he immediately noticed the sanctum wear (of course) and pointed out not only why that happened, but how his exact process would disallow such a thing. And yes, it's seriously a military grade process. When we went to pick up our prototype blank with the test application, we legally weren't allowed to enter the building further than the entrance doors and we had to sit with designated security personnel while we waited. Not to say it wasn't a pleasurable experience; everyone was very nice and professional, but it was certainly a 'different' day...

I was present both times we met with the suppliers who we have in mind for applying the playfield art and protective covering. Not only was I impressed with the reps enormous knowledge base but also with his ability to think outside the box and basically get down and nerdy with us about the project. When we went to have the prototype whitewood for the Chicago Expo covered we were led into an antechamber and told that without background checks through the federal government that we could go no further due to the fact that the same technology that is covering our playfield is also used in military applications i.e. tanks, missiles, planes, and pretty much all other kinds of badassery. Definitely an interesting day and so far no matter how we abuse it it's holding up with absolutely NO wear marking whatsoever. The adhesives being used to adhere the protective covering are to say the least high tech and have been rigorously field tested. If not in pinball machines, at least in much harsher environments. The joke that day was that this stuff was made to withstand biohazard threats, warfare, and small explosions. I doubt the rest of The Predator would survive one, but at least the playfield will still rock. As far as the art on the playfield that is being digitally applied/printed directly to the playfield itself.

-Steven Woods
Build Manager - SKIT - B Pinball

#1022 11 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Elimination of all wood for the PF would be great.

More random anecdotal banter: Craig from MI Amusement Cabinets is dead-set on making his playfield out of Corian, the super-sleek countertop material.

#1023 11 years ago

Thanks for the update and great story to go along with it. That sounds like a winner to me. Now what are you doing talking to us schlubs..... Get back to work!

#1024 11 years ago

I vote for the cool biohazard-proof version as long as it seems to work well in testing.

#1025 11 years ago

Your Super Secret Military Application sounds great!
Using something other than wood for a playfield....also sounds interesting!
Go with the new!

#1026 11 years ago

I am all for the new playfield tech.

#1027 11 years ago

Name Plate: "Half of this game belongs to Maria Schwarzenegger"

Kim

#1028 11 years ago

lol, I might have to change my nameplate to "Not For Sale"

Can't comment enough to solidify how great it is that you guys are so involved in the community and don't play that corporate bull$%^*. Cannot wait for delivery of this pin and trust you guys completely to make it a great game in both gameplay (already sold on it) and finish.

#1029 11 years ago

Craig from MI Amusement Cabinets is dead-set on making his playfield out of Corian, the super-sleek countertop material.

Being in the countertop business, I am familiar with this material & can vouch for it's durability. It'd never dimple, is relatively lightweight, easy to cut and shape, & isn't terribly expensive. Interesting...

#1030 11 years ago

Glad I got in on this project. Sounds like it will be innovative and adult. Should rock!

#1031 11 years ago

Can't believe no one has come up with this movie quote from Billy yet

"I wouldn't wish that on a broke dick dog"

#1032 11 years ago

Haha well is that what you want yours to say?

#1033 11 years ago

I like this one for the multiple cross reference...

From the movie, jackpot for pinball (duh), and jackpot referring to this actual game hopefully being much more than we all could ever dream of.

"Goddamn jackpot. This is more than we ever thought we'd get"

#1034 11 years ago

This is the kind of innovation that comes from new blood. You obviously want the same things as what we want, your decisions aren't made for accounting purposes, so I'm behind you 100%.

Just don't F it up

#1035 11 years ago

I am for the new innovative playfield but would like to know how much more a CPR one would add to the cost.

#1036 11 years ago
Quoted from Hoss-Woods:

...As far as the art on the playfield that is being digitally applied/printed directly to the playfield itself.
-Steven Woods
Build Manager - SKIT - B Pinball

Awesome - thanks for the extra info. Glad you guys keep posting your build intentions and are taking our comments constructively - that's a sign of a good manufacturer.

I'd also be interested in the extra cost of going with a playfield that's been clearcoated...

#1037 11 years ago
Quoted from vster23:

would like to know how much more a CPR one would add to the cost.

Couple hundred bucks at least. First, I have to say that while price is a big deal in anything and everything, CPR playfields are worth every cent they cost. That being said, the least expensive playfield they have on their site for sale at the moment is over $600(American) after being shipped. Even at manufacturers' cost, it would be quite a bit, I'm sure. Another issue would be shipping time/cost. They are based out of Nova Scotia, Canada, so that might pose a bit of a turnaround.

#1038 11 years ago

I am up for seeing how the new technique would work it sounds promising. As far as testing I think it would need a good amount of play to get a genuine idea about it's reliability. If using a new technique for something as crucial as the playfield it would need to be well tested before distribution. Playfields are a PITA to replace not to mention costly so if extra testing can help ensure reliability before shipping to buyers it is well worth it.

#1039 11 years ago

Playfield out of a new material? Military Grade Coating? Hah! YOU GUYS could change the history of Pinball!!

#1040 11 years ago

Will this quote fit?

Predator: (to decoy) I thought you were supposed to be getting into the hot tub!
Decoy: Oh don't worry, I've got a little surprise for you!
[Chris Hansen walks out]
Hansen: I'm probably not the surprise you were expecting.

#1041 11 years ago

Best name plate for Predator: "Please have a seat."

#1042 11 years ago

Best name plate for Predator: "Please have a seat."

Nice lol

#1043 11 years ago

Will this fit? "What's the condoms and chloroform for?"

#1044 11 years ago

I have to watch again all the Predator movies to find a cool statement for my plates instead of pure #22 and #244

#1045 11 years ago
Quoted from mrpostman:

Just a shot in the dark, I have searched but cannot find; anyone have #222 or know who has it?
That was my dads company number in Vietnam, he was a chopper sidegunner. They had a motto: "222 hits 'em 2 hard 2 fast and 2 often" I thought that would be a great tribute and inscription.
Looking to trade #201 or #202

Well, after reading this post, I guess it's time to join the site!

I have #222 - Not sure I'll trade it though - but I do like your idea!

#1046 11 years ago

Will this fit? "What's the condoms and chloroform for?"

"Turn around," Mac whispered.

#1047 11 years ago

Jeez you got a big p_$$y. Jeez you got a big p_$$y.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited profanity.

#1048 11 years ago

Nameplate-
PREDATOR
This is no way for a soldier to die!
#179 of 250

Said when they found the soldiers skinned in the trees

#1049 11 years ago

Nerdification on that quote: "Ain't no way for no soldier to die."

If you're going to engrave something, make sure it's correct!

#1050 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Nerdification on that quote: "Ain't no way for no soldier to die."
If you're going to engrave something, make sure it's correct!

Ha-ha your probablly right. I dont have it on dvd. Thanks

There are 7,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.