Topic Stats

• 7,117 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 590 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 143.
#801 7 years ago

Hey Skit B, are you huys gonna be at the Southern Pinball Festival in Orlando 16-18th??

#802 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

On a related note, I saw a Gary Stern interview where he explaining why a pinball machine cost $5K he said it costs roughly $750K to $1million to design a machine.
I know this was a nebulous catch all figure, I wonder how this jives with small manufacturers such as yourself. I realize it is not the same process but the end product is the same.

STERN Pinball has a ton of overhead - all the table designers, software engineers, mechanical engineers, audio guys, artists, licenses, rent, utilities, salaries for workers, benefits, advertising, etc. I'm still surprised to see each pin apparently costs them that much to develop... more over though, I'm surprised their pins aren't more expensive - when you look at how much manual labor goes into making a pinball machine, $5K is a very competitive price. There's gotta be over $2K-$3K in just parts alone not even counting labor. $5K is a small mark-up from that to make a profit...

Skit-B and Quetzal have started a new era in pinball manufacturing - small, start-up businesses with little to no overhead which means they can design pinballs for much less - this of course is offset somewhat by the number of machines they build as things always get cheaper as volume increases. Unfortunately (for STERN) when things get cheaper we're not talking just cost but also quality... With a small run of 250 I would guess we're going to see a very high quality product.

#803 7 years ago

Man, how about we let Skit B figure out the deposit info.

#804 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

if any lower numbers bail out, I simply request that you give those paying the deposit an opportunity to switch numbers before handing out one of the lower numbers to a new customer.

If you can come up with a system to handle this without making me go bald or have a stroke, I think it's a great idea.

Quoted from frolic:

Make the deposit refundable when someone else fills their place.

This is very insightful and makes a ton of sense. We may end up doing something a lot like this.

Quoted from Xerico:

I think 10% (or $500) is a better price point.

Quoted from Whysnow:

IMHO $500 up front is better than $250 now and a suprise $250 in 4 months.

Of the arithmetic we've been doing, 5% SHOULD be plenty. What we worry about is, as the Dude mentioned, this is already something of a change of plans to all on the list. 10% might be a bit much to drop on the buyers out-of-the-blue (a good percentage of buyers don't regularly check this thread, so it will all be new to them). Thinking from the perspective of someone who doesn't know us or isn't as deeply invested in the project emotionally, "a quick two-fifty" is a lot easier to throw out on faith than "half a grand," so to speak. I would hate to have someone skip out on the game because of a holding deposit when they would have otherwise gotten one and potentially loved it, not to mention the high probability of these things going in excess of $10k in the resale market in a few years.

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

"a quick two-fifty" is a lot easier to throw out on faith than "half a grand," so to speak

I would worry about a buyer on a 5k pin not having $500 for a deposit at any moment.

#806 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I would worry about a buyer on a 5k pin not having $500 for a deposit at any moment.

Well, there's that to consider, too...

#807 7 years ago

On a separate note, does anyone here know how to get ahold of Alex Levy?? I need him to contact me asap.

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Make the deposit refundable when someone else fills their place.

So, I tell you I want out, I get my deposit back as soon as someone from the waiting list takes my spot. That should protect your cash flow.

Alternatively, I could "sell" my spot, collect my refund, and submit the swap to you.

Jpop is doing this with BHZA

#809 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

It's not about having it but rather about the type of money you want held up on a project for an extended/unknown period of time. There is no official release date yet and there is no official pricing yet either. Asking for too much down may not be a problem for some but I bet it may preclude a few people that would very well of paid the full price for the pin upon completion. If so many are interested in putting more down then go ahead if it would make you feel better and those that don't can just put the required 5% down.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I have been and still am a big supporter of the project just throwing my opinion on the subject out there.

#810 7 years ago

Gary is a second-generation pinball manufacturer with an enduring history. I have no doubt he and his company will adapt to the changing tides just fine. More pins = more choices = companies showing everything they've got to get your interest.

I don't think that will hold true for the LE collector market. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a niche title like Predator or BHZA, or JJP, depending on the theme, over another Stern LE.

#811 7 years ago

What is the next show hou will have Predator at??

#812 7 years ago

without making me go bald

Problem?

Kim

#813 7 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Man, how about we let Skit B figure out the deposit info.

Exactly.

#814 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I have been and still am a big supporter of the project just throwing my opinion on the subject out there.

And we love ya for it.

Quoted from kmoore88:

I don't think that will hold true for the LE collector market.

This is me speaking personally as a hobbyist here, but I've always hated the whole "LE" movement in pins recently. It's cute if it's just powder-coated side-rails and some lighting effects, but the way things are going now you get shafted for buying "Pros" or whatever they're labeled as. I was a bit miffed when I heard Avatars were getting LE's that had extra rules and little features like the powerball thing, but now we're in a time when not getting an LE means you miss out on an ENTIRE PLAYFIELD (Ac/Dc)! I'm going to date myself a bit here, but back in the day if you saw a pin that was special, it was because somebody took the time and creativity to MAKE it special. Had nothing to do with upselling (or downselling) from the factory. I don't know how any of you guys feel about it, but honestly, I think the "LE" idea should be done away with altogether.

Quoted from ChadNC:

What is the next show hou will have Predator at??

Working on SPF but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up just yet.

Bald looks fine on a lot of guys. I can tell you right now ahead of time that I would NOT be one of those guys

#815 7 years ago

Whatever the deposit is. How are you going to let every one know what to where and when? Email or phone? I am all in for a deposit and personally think it is needed for many reasons, most already listed.

#816 7 years ago

I think the "LE" idea should be done away with altogether.

yes! thank you!!!

one solid well tested pin at a good price.... thats all you need

#817 7 years ago

but honestly, I think the "LE" idea should be done away with altogether.

That's for damn sure!
...and hey...if $250 is ok for you...it's ok by us!

#818 7 years ago

If you can make it to SPF, please be there on Friday. I would love you bunches.

#819 7 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I am also in for a 5% deposit, no problem! It would be great to get some more details though, even if they are speculative at this point. Maybe a video of a complete game being played? A shot map? How and where do you plan to manufacture the production games? And... can I get a t-shirt for my $25 donation a few weeks back?

Is second this, I sent two donations would love a shirt

#820 7 years ago

I thought the price point was 4750 did they increase it?

#821 7 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I thought the price point was 4750 did they increase it?

I dont think so. I bleieve its still 4750.00. People have just started rounding it up.

#822 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

I dont think so. I bleieve its still 4750.00. People have just started rounding it up.

Oh I see.

#823 7 years ago

I have no issue with a deposit. However, as others has suggested it would be good to have more information on artwork and playfield. As a family man, I was happy to hear that there would be code for with and without profanity so that I could enjoy the game both ways. I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned to hear "skinned bodies" for toys. I realize the pin is based on a mature theme - just want to make sure there isn't anything that I would regret having in a family space. From what I've seen so far from the translite, cabinet, and playfield artwork it has all looked good and there hasn't been any reason for concern yet. If it happens to have extreme "adult" elements, that's absolutely cool with me, but some of us may want to know that before putting down a non-refundable deposit.

Scott

#824 7 years ago

On a separate note, does anyone here know how to get ahold of Alex Levy?? I need him to contact me asap.

Kevin I sent you some information....check your email

#825 7 years ago

A deposit is not a problem with me. Either 5 or 10% is cool .

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from toyboy6:

I have no issue with a deposit. However, as others has suggested it would be good to have more information on artwork and playfield. As a family man, I was happy to hear that there would be code for with and without profanity so that I could enjoy the game both ways. I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned to hear "skinned bodies" for toys. I realize the pin is based on a mature theme - just want to make sure there isn't anything that I would regret having in a family space. From what I've seen so far from the translite, cabinet, and playfield artwork it has all looked good and there hasn't been any reason for concern yet. If it happens to have extreme "adult" elements, that's absolutely cool with me, but some of us may want to know that before putting down a non-refundable deposit.
Scott

In my opinion it is absolutely an "extreme adult theme" and I really do wish this pin to be as adult as possible. Skinned bodies, rude language and stuff...man, that’s Predator!!! I would never give up my no. 11 Predator (which I’ve ordered in the first days) except of one reason: If Skit-B would make a family-pin of it. Put a cover over your Predator to protect your kids but don’t expect this pin to be kiddy-style. ’nuff said.

#827 7 years ago

No problem with a refundable deposit - what I would not like to see would be people trading their spots for more than this 5%. No black market with Predator please. If one can't / won't continue, the next one in the waiting list should get it.

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

There is no doubt that I can make the purchase price of this machine in but a couple weeks notice. However it will require liquidating assets that I would other wise not. I am not made of money (in most respects I am quite poor) but I will spend it on this machine. The above is unfair.

I'll make the 5% without a peep. But as others have suggested, more info would be very much appreciated, especially if you want us to go higher.

#829 7 years ago

Looking forward to paying a deposit and feeling a step closer.
Happy enough with what I have seen so far to get some cash down for #172.
Like the idea of being able to get an earlier number as people drop off also, maybe if
a list of buyers who would like to move up the list could be compiled then as positions open
we could progress or would it become too messy.
Dont really care what number I get though as long as I get one but the earlier the better.
As for the skinned bodies, Cool ! sounds awesome. If its in the movie then there is no reason it shouldn't be on the machine and I would be disappointed if it was tamed down to be be more
family friendly

#830 7 years ago

I'm sure the skinned bodies can be removed from the playfield if you wanted to tone it down, but at the end of the day Predator is an R-rated movie where the characters are hunted and killed, not a family movie.

#831 7 years ago

I agree in favour with a strictly adult theme,it's about time there was a pin like this on the market with swearing,blood n guts n all that shh-stuff!!! I know probably none or very few of these machines will make it into arcades but if this was a typical stern type run(number wise)this pin could be a great thing for pinball in general,kids love playing games in arcades with all that type stuff in.
Btw I have a 17 month old boy who loves playing on my afm,constantly shout 'pinball' or more like 'pin-bor',I'll just not play it if he's about or turn the volume down to get around this but I am sure Skit-B will have a on/off for the swearing.It needs to be as harsh as the film!!!

Swinging bodies sounds friggin amazing!!!

5% is more than reasonable in my eyes

#832 7 years ago

Back to the deposit:

I think it should be "nominal" (5%), and also refundable (swappable). Obviously many of us here are big supporters of skit-b, but at the end of the day, this is :

-a new venture
-from 2 guys in a garage
-no track record
-much of the pin we have not seen yet
-time frame is best guesses.
-building/assembly of the game is still all TBD.
-"A" for good intentions, but this is uncharted territory.

I'm definitely a serious buyer, but I am also waiting to see what the final product will be like. For $250, I'll take that gamble. $500 I would as well. But I just wanted to make the point about what some concerns would be.

But it would be wise to weed out your list. There could be something shocking, like, only 50 people end up giving a deposit, but you're better to find that out now than later. The opposite could be true to and you find yourself looking at a bona fide hit.

#833 7 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I can make the purchase price of this machine in but a couple weeks notice. However it will require liquidating assets that I would other wise not.

These were my thoughts, as well. A 5% deposit is something that I would be able to come up with by normal means if I needed to, but many people on the list have already casually stated that they are going to be selling a machine or two to make room for and gather the funds to purchase a Predator. Pinball is an expensive hobby, but I know a lot of pretty broke dudes (myself generally included) that manage to stay in by rotating games and using their resources in this way.

Quoted from jlm33:

what I would not like to see would be people trading their spots for more than this 5%. No black market with Predator please.

I don't see how one would be able to sell his spot. If someone drops off, the next on the waiting list moves in. If you're looking to turn the game around, you would have to wait until your game is up and let someone else pay for it in your stead, I guess.

Quoted from frolic:

at the end of the day Predator is an R-rated movie where the characters are hunted and killed, not a family movie.

True.

Quoted from frolic:

"A" for good intentions, but this is uncharted territory.

Another reason to go lower than higher with the deposit.

#834 7 years ago

Kevin, just list an address to mail check to.
I'm in for a penny, in for a pound. I love the theme, layout looks good. Don't let the money change your original ideas. Those same ideas got you this far.
I just want occasional updates and an address to send money to.

#835 7 years ago

shut_up.jpg

#836 7 years ago

I would want to see art and more info on toys before any deposit. A video of a game or two would be cool as well.

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm sure the skinned bodies can be removed from the playfield if you wanted to tone it down, but at the end of the day Predator is an R-rated movie where the characters are hunted and killed, not a family movie.

Additionally, I don't think a small plastic toy of a skinned body is going to do any lasting damage to any child tall enough to see it. People are so irrational about what kids see and hear (but dressing them up as ghosts, skeletons, zombies and vampires once a year is fine).

#838 7 years ago

Skulls with spines still attached...skinned bodies...knives in bad guys...
Arnie's quips...
Granted, all horrifying, but my fam prefers the cutting edgy grit as opposed to tamer versions.

#839 7 years ago

For those interested, Predator on AMC tonight at 10est.

Scott

#840 7 years ago

First mass email just went out. Hope you all got it.

#841 7 years ago

^got mine, chit just got real!

#842 7 years ago

Not yet. I keep hitting refresh though.

#843 7 years ago

nope, didn't get it.

...not sitting in SPAM either.

#844 7 years ago

Got my email. Just waiting for instructions on the deposit!!!

#845 7 years ago

: (

#846 7 years ago

Yuuuuuup!

#847 7 years ago

yeah, no email for me yet.

#848 7 years ago

No email yet but I second the chance to move to a lower number when someone drops out.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

yeah, no email for me yet.

I've heard this from a few people so far, so I guess we should let it sit for the night and see what happens, I suppose.

#850 7 years ago

Might be a good idea Kevin....I haven't seen a thing in my email. Nothing in spam as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 26.95
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
£ 80.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 84.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11,500.00
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside