Topic Stats

• 7,117 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 590 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 143.
#6701 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Huge thanks for the uptick in great communication!
P U M P E D ! , ! , !

I live and breathe this game, and I've been stuck at home from this blizzard for like 4 days. Hanging out on here helps keep me focused when I can't actually be working on stuff

Quoted from PaulCoff:

Kevin, Have you ever seen "Event Horizon"? What's your 3 top horror films?

Most of you guys already know that I don't watch a lot of movies, so even coming up with 3 horror films I know might be tricky. That being said, Event Horizon is actually one of my all time favorites. Sam Neill as the (spoilers!) bad guy? Hell yeah.

Quoted from dgoett:

i'm dreading the day a worn out woz comes thru the shop for refurbishing.

Repeat after me: "Not it."

Quoted from iceman44:

I'm referring to things really more out of their control like supplier issues and unknown problems like power supply once production has begun.

We'll know about stuff like that way ahead of time, honestly. Supplier issues suck, but the silver lining is that when we're forced to make a decision, we explore a bit more and can end up with better solutions overall. This is how we ended up having a proper plasma DMD display being added to production units, after all, and went with two separate power supplies that can handle a ton more stress and add cool features like the ability to have a setting in the operator's menu to software-tweak flipper strength, and stuff like that.

#6702 6 years ago

Any chance you guys will produce 250 additional "standard" editions?

Really sucks youre only doing 250.

#6703 6 years ago

6666. We gotta be due for a new thread in this new year.

#6704 6 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Working closely with some pretty awesome people and properties to bring you another game that is very likely to blow you all away

Twister theme?

#6705 6 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I noticed that too...
6666.png

#6706 6 years ago

Still honestly considering it, actually. The Skit-B Pinball Canadian Tour might be a damned fun time, and those MAACA guys know how to party

You guys are always welcome. It can't be much more than about 5hrs. We'll have lots of good Canadian beer waiting. Hell... if you're talking April, I may have to re-consider my original plan to come down and pick the game up myself. This winter has been a bear so far!
BTW. You're not planning to be at Pinfest in Allentown again this year, are you?

In reality, I have a friend with a clearing warehouse and brokerage service in Fort Erie MI, so I'd have little problem getting the game into the country... Just have to pay the tax. However, if you're seriously looking into import options and would like to discuss, I can put you two guys together and you can chat. Shoot me a PM if you guys need any help.

#6707 6 years ago

Haha, no. Not counting Predator, obviously, or some weird and specific scenarios, I've never paid more than $1750 for a pin. Even if someone made my favorite license and it was the best game ever made, $8500 still equals at least four other pins for me. The market is a lot different now, not to mention the economy and general inflation over the years, but we used to get NIB games all the time back in the day for around $1500, including FunHouse and other big names. Despite the fact that I am notoriously cheap when buying games, I could picture paying $5k for a Predator, and that's kind of where the thought ended. I doubt it will change much, if at all, with the next machine.

I am going to frame that post...
...and send a copy to JJP, Dutch Pinball, PPS...

#6708 6 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

Any chance you guys will produce 250 additional "standard" editions?
Really sucks youre only doing 250.

The 250 we're doing are the "standard" editions. And the "limited" editions

I've never liked the whole LE, BIBLE, ECLE, EIEIO stuff. I make a game the way I think it should be. I couldn't imagine what we could add to this game at this point, let alone what we could take away from it to make it a standard or something like that. The machines that go out are the way they are meant to be. What you guys choose to do to them after that is all up to you

It kinda does suck that there's only ever going to be 250, but it really makes it better at the same time, too, doesn't it?

Quoted from sammiesguys:

I told you we were hardcore.

Heh, afraid not. We'll make the announcement sooner or later

Quoted from Drano:

You're not planning to be at Pinfest in Allentown again this year, are you?

Probably. We try to go every year, if for nothing other than the kind folks and awesome flea market

Quoted from Drano:

if you're seriously looking into import options and would like to discuss, I can put you two guys together and you can chat

Yeah, let's do that. You have my email, so hit me up on there and we can get everything figured out. Thanks

#6709 6 years ago

Have you started work on the next title yet? Layout? Preliminary coding? Was kinda curious how much downtime you guys will have after Predator is done and out the door.

#6710 6 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Have you started work on the next title yet? Layout? Preliminary coding? Was kinda curious how much downtime you guys will have after Predator is done and out the door.

Lots of the design work is done, layout, rules, rough art direction, theme, all that stuff. The software framework from Predator / Sonic has already been ported over, as well. We are going over a lot of creative input with the property owners at this point, which is loads of fun. There shouldn't be any overlap between the two projects, but there certainly won't be much downtime in between them, either.

#6711 6 years ago

All such good info. Thanks Kevin. My confidence in this project has never been higher (and yet never wavered either). Always lots of cheerleading and hating on this board, but I'm proud to say I'm a Skit-B supporter.

#6712 6 years ago

Questions? No, not really. Comments? Sometimes...

Still honestly considering it, actually. The Skit-B Pinball Canadian Tour might be a damned fun time, and those MAACA guys know how to party

Dont forget how much we would love you guys to come and party with your mates down under. That way you can reveal your next pin 'MAD MAX' in australia!!

Im sure all the crew in oz would pop another 250 each in to bring you guys out here. Forget blizzards. Its beer bikinis and beaches

#6713 6 years ago

Lots of the design work is done, layout, rules, rough art direction, theme, all that stuff. The software framework from Predator / Sonic has already been ported over, as well. We are going over a lot of creative input with the property owners at this point, which is loads of fun. There shouldn't be any overlap between the two projects, but there certainly won't be much downtime in between them, either.

I guess I have to start sockin some cash away for #2.

#6714 6 years ago

Sonic? Is that game #2 Kevin?

#6715 6 years ago

Just curious as to your thoughts on the dutch pinball TBL project; if any. Figure they're gonna use proc as well since they did BOP.

#6716 6 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

They had a Solar Fox at Expo.... didn't see Sonic though.
Maybe it's another re-theme like Duck Hunt. Solar Fox was built on an old Bally Special Force machine. It wasn't yet functional at the show though; just art.

#6717 6 years ago

The 250 we're doing are the "standard" editions. And the "limited" editions
I've never liked the whole LE, BIBLE, ECLE, EIEIO stuff. I make a game the way I think it should be. I couldn't imagine what we could add to this game at this point, let alone what we could take away from it to make it a standard or something like that. The machines that go out are the way they are meant to be. What you guys choose to do to them after that is all up to you
It kinda does suck that there's only ever going to be 250, but it really makes it better at the same time, too, doesn't it?

Yeah I was mostly joking about both topics. You could put a shaker motor in the first batch and call it LE.

Thank goodness it's not Twister. Just figure "blow you away" has some meaning to it.

#6718 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

You guys are always welcome. It can't be much more than about 5hrs. We'll have lots of good Canadian beer waiting. Hell... if you're talking April, I may have to re-consider my original plan to come down and pick the game up myself.

DRANO!! Yes they are welcome, but don't cancel your trip down...I need some help with some pin issues!!!

#6719 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Sonic was at Expo.

#6720 6 years ago

I thought I remember seeing a photo of STAR FOX somewhere at Expo. It's based off of a Nintendo game.

#6721 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I thought I remember seeing a photo of STAR FOX somewhere at Expo. It's based off of a Nintendo game.

Both were at Chicago. Sonic was next to Predator. StarFox was a Skit B/Skill Shot project utilizing SkillShot's products. It sat with them next to that awesome "fold-up" demo machine. I wish I would taken more pics.I'm sure someone can find some online and post.

#6722 6 years ago

Drano said:

if you're seriously looking into import options and would like to discuss, I can put you two guys together and you can chat

Yeah, let's do that. You have my email, so hit me up on there and we can get everything figured out. Thanks

Email sent.
Hope it helps.

#6723 6 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

Dont forget how much we would love you guys to come and party with your mates down under. That way you can reveal your next pin 'MAD MAX' in australia!!
Im sure all the crew in oz would pop another 250 each in to bring you guys out here. Forget blizzards. Its beer bikinis and beaches

Mad Max is getting a new game on next gen consoles, this year, too. I'm surprised there's still a following for it, honestly, but then again I haven't seen it since it was still fairly new. Maybe I should watch it again?
I would love to come to Australia, but aren't there spiders bigger than my head? I don't do spiders, but for beer bikinis and beaches I might have to brave it.

Quoted from dannunz:

I would love that, but considering that's the only post on this page to receive a thumbs-down, "market research" would probably show it isn't our best bet, financially I just don't think the pinball demographic lines up very well with Sonic the Hedgehog, no matter how much of a no-brainer it is that he gets a pin. As we always joke about at the shop, "Sonic needs a pin. It's not my fault nobody did one before, it just had to be done."

Quoted from sd_tom:

Just curious as to your thoughts on the dutch pinball TBL project; if any. Figure they're gonna use proc as well since they did BOP.

Honestly, I wouldn't doubt for a second that TBL exists only because of the hype for the idea generated right here in this thread. Aaron and I had multiple in-depth talks about doing it, but ultimately decided against it for a handful of reasons. Not to say it couldn't be done well, but we didn't really think it would turn out well with how we approached game design. That being said, I've been acquainted with the Dutch Pinball guys for years now, and they have done some sincerely amazing stuff. What has me most intrigued is how they're going to handle the DMD, because the custom animation in the BoP2.0 project were downright stunning. I'm curious to see how this blends with movie clips or if they're even going to use movie clips at all. $8k+ is always going to be a hard sell, though, so I hope they can pull it off. I would assume they will use P-ROC again for this one, as well.

Quoted from Drano:

Maybe it's another re-theme like Duck Hunt. Solar Fox was built on an old Bally Special Force machine. It wasn't yet functional at the show though; just art.

Sonic is a totally custom game using old Predator hardware and our sample cabinet from VirtuaPin, which is awesome because the whole project probably cost me about $500 start-to-finish. Remember back when I posted pics of the sample cabinet and it was bright blue? Now you know why
Star Fox was a retheme of Special Force, that is true. I met Barry and Aaron from SkillShot Pinball back in June at the Seattle/Tacoma show and they sent me some prototype hardware to mess with / try out / give feedback on, and I had snagged up a Special Force in Allentown a few months prior for like $125, I think (did I mention I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to getting pins?), so it was a good fit for both. I had everything wired up and I had messed with terminal commands and such with Star Fox before Chicago, but I hadn't written any game code for it, but it was a really pretty box for the SkillShot guys to demo their hardware in for the show by the time expo rolled around. I do plan on making it a completely functional game, eventually, just not while Predator is this close to being done.

Quoted from cwell:

Thank goodness it's not Twister. Just figure "blow you away" has some meaning to it.

It loosely does, but it doesn't have anything to do with wind, though

Quoted from Aurich:

Sonic was at Expo.

I might want to post a few pics of these games just so people know what I'm talking about here and there

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Of all the custom games I either have done or plan to do, all but one is based off of a video game of some kind. If anyone hasn't figured it out yet, I'm a huge video game nerd, and my favorite video game IP is Sonic the Hedgehog. I actually have a large tattoo of Sonic, but not Duck Hunt

Quoted from jammer74:

Sonic was next to Predator. StarFox was a Skit B/Skill Shot project utilizing SkillShot's products. It sat with them next to that awesome "fold-up" demo machine. I wish I would taken more pics.I'm sure someone can find some online and post.

I have lots of pictures of all three of those machines. Aaron came up with the idea for the fold-up pin less than a month before expo, if I remember right, and managed to pull it off which is crazy impressive. We had the pleasure of having Barry and Aaron at our shop for a few days preceeding Expo and I got to see Aaron putting the finishing touches on the fold-up while Barry tweaked Star Fox, all while the VirtuaPin guys were working hard to get everything they had to work on done while me and two other guys were working on Predator and one other close pin-head friend was tightening up Sonic. It really was a surreal experience, and I hope it happens again under less stressful circumstances

Quoted from Drano:

Email sent.
Hope it helps.

Thanks, Drano, I'll check it out!

#6724 6 years ago

I am still hoping you have the license for Futurama! It really needs a pin and now is the time since the final season is really finally coming to an end.

#6725 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am still hoping you have the license for Futurama! It really needs a pin and now is the time since the final season is really finally coming to an end.

Futurama has SO MUCH content that it would be hard to make a pin for and do it justice. It would have to be Hecules-sized!

Quoted from jammer74:

I wish I would taken more pics.I'm sure someone can find some online and post.

I'm going through some of my pictures now, so I'll get a few decent ones up in a few minutes.

#6726 6 years ago

That is the beauty of Futurama, you can cherry pick the best stuff!

#6727 6 years ago

Here is one of my favorite shots.
WP_000446.jpg
A good Sonic shot.
WP_000363.jpg
Playfield with no ramps.
WP_000358.jpg
Playfield with ramps before adjustments were made.
WP_000361.jpg

#6728 6 years ago

Star Fox backglass.
WP_000368.jpg
Cabinet side.
WP_000369.jpg
Cabinet front.
WP_000370.jpg
Before.
WP_000194.jpg
After.
WP_000309.jpg
Almost complete.
WP_000322.jpg
Better angle.
WP_000323.jpg
Barry and Aaron bringing it to life.
WP_000379.jpg

#6730 6 years ago

Kevin, where will our production number be represented on the machine? The backbox, apron, other?

...and will you be sending an updated production / build number email?

Thanks in advance.

#6731 6 years ago

It would be cool if the game number and quotes we choose are on the same plaque.

#6732 6 years ago

cwell said:

It loosely does, but it doesn't have anything to do with wind, though

Linda Lovelace - The Pin
Finally.

#6733 6 years ago

Kevin, you said I come up with the 'big' questions. I don't know if that's code for saying I'm a big pain in the ass or what? j/k

I was thinking about this and that. But here is what I want to ask, and hope it doesn't come out wrong. If you were asked to respond to the notion that your pin looks 'home made' or 'home brew' or looks like it was made by two guys in their basement etc... In other words not said in a nice way as if to say: it's got a cool theme, but it's 'home brew...' (note I'm not saying that but just thinking what other people have said who have played it).

First, let me say I have not seen the game myself, just video and pictures. Since we were talking about JJP, lets call WoZ the exact opposite of 'home brew' more like if JJP is the Tesla (car manufacturer) of Pinball, all new components, new guts, new this new that. Raising the bar, rewriting the book whatever you want to call it.

Now on the other end of the spectrum is Skit-B and Predator with a tiny fraction of a budget compared to Woz, yet you are trying to get to the same destination. That is (to steal a phrase from Stern) 'Real Pinball'.

I have seen with computer games, you don't need a million dollars to make a great PC game. Not sure if you are into PC games but there are indie games such as 'Minecraft' or 'Super Meat Boy' which have been made on a shoe string budget and don't have the visual graphics of top development games. But these low budget games can be better than the million dollar games in many cases.

So, long way to my question right? But the question is, if you put Predator next to say T2 (say we had a supply of NIB T2 games out there) how would Predator fare next to that other Arnold movie pin? I picked T2 as an example for to me, Predator while being a 21st century game is kind of retro with the 27 year old movie, kind of retro PF artwork etc..

Or we put Predator right next to Stern Star Trek pro (just picked another 'ballpark' game due to price and relevance in the same era of production). How would we stack up Predator to ST (or MET or some other Stern game if you have played them?).

As far as Predator being less 'polished' visually than Woz or Star Trek, I am sure we agree to that. But is Predator just a quaint home brew for hard core Predator geeks? Or is it on par to games like T2 or ST or Met (for example).

#6734 6 years ago

I think to a certain degree every whitewood has that homebrew feel. Sure SkitB used old parts and what not for the prototype builds which gave it that homebrew feel but the final product is very professional with new components all around. You're not going to see the underside of the playfield with 6 miles of wire just loosely thrown in there, everything is going to be neatly put together like it should.

The machine looks good to me, especially the pony!

#6735 6 years ago

The Punisher will blow people away

#6736 6 years ago

I would love to see an Archer pinball. Another adult themed game and good characters.

#6737 6 years ago

punisher_skull.jpg

#6738 6 years ago

I would buy a Sonic Pinball, or any classic Nintendo theme if they were done justice as i'm sure you would. How about Metroid! That could be seriously amazing.

#6739 6 years ago

Could also go for Invader Zim.

#6740 6 years ago

It loosely does, but it doesn't have anything to do with wind, though .

figured you meant something more like this
thUAHV2IQW.jpg

#6741 6 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

where will our production number be represented on the machine? The backbox, apron, other?

Production numbers and personalized quotes are going on the apron on the left side.

Quoted from molspin:

will you be sending an updated production / build number email?

Not very likely, but it isn't out of the question. It all comes down to how we have to let everyone know it's time to capitalize their game. I know it's an eventuality, but I've never been a fan of asking for money :-/

Quoted from Cobra:

It would be cool if the game number and quotes we choose are on the same plaque.

They are

Quoted from mrpostman:

Linda Lovelace - The Pin
Finally.

I feel like less of a man, but I had to google who this was. Might help my reputation if I mention that I was born 10 years after her most famous...performance...

Quoted from kvan99:

The Punisher will blow people away

Punisher would be pretty cool, for sure, but it would have to be the Thomas Jane Punisher. That was just too good.

Quoted from sensfreak:

I would love to see an Archer pinball. Another adult themed game and good characters.

Of all the custom games I either have done or plan to do, all but one is based off of a video game of some kind.

That is literally the exact theme I was talking about in that previous post. I have a whitewood that was leftover from a shelved project that I am going to be turning into an Archer custom pin. And you're right, it has great characters and lots of adult humor, not to mention some insanely over-the-top antics that would make for a fantastic pin, and it's very colorful, too, which helps

Quoted from GameJunkie:

I would buy a Sonic Pinball

You're the man

Quoted from GameJunkie:

How about Metroid! That could be seriously amazing.

Star Fox was ALMOST Super Metroid, but I love the entire Star Fox series (yes, including Dinosaur Planet), but the only Metroid game I've ever really gotten into was Super Metroid. Played it literally over 100 times through, and used to speed-run it for fun (my best time was 47 minutes). But yes, would also be a badass custom game if done correctly.

Quoted from sensfreak:

Could also go for Invader Zim.

I know it seems like I'm just blindly agreeing with everyone now, so I'll just leave this here. This pic is about 4 years old now.
PinTable.jpg

#6742 6 years ago

Rai, are you in on predator?

That will help determine your level of PIAness.

#6743 6 years ago

Aaaaaaand rai warrants his own response again

Quoted from rai:

Kevin, you said I come up with the 'big' questions. I don't know if that's code for saying I'm a big pain in the ass or what? j/k

No, not a pain in the ass, but a lot of you guys hold me to a pretty high standard, and your posts seem to get straight to it when there's a 'real' question to be answered

Quoted from rai:

If you were asked to respond to the notion that your pin looks 'home made' or 'home brew' or looks like it was made by two guys in their basement etc... In other words not said in a nice way as if to say: it's got a cool theme, but it's 'home brew...'

That's a tough one. I remember thinking the same thing when I played the first Data East machines back in the day, and thinking the same thing about both Alvin G and Capcom when they jumped into making games. I would hope that these ideas are related, in the fact that anything being done 'differently' automatically appears to be half-assed or foreign in some way. Time has shown Data East did perfectly fine for themselves and ended up cementing a lot of things we take for granted in pinball these days, and Alvin G and Capcom games have held up very well over the years. Maybe not so much economically, with most Alvin G games hovering around the $1000 mark last I checked and Pinball Magic ended up being Capcom's only game to really get 'manufactured' except for Breakshot, which was just an awful game, but as far as their construction, they were all solid in their own right. Again, I'm hoping that people saying Predator feels homebrew is just a simple case of feeling a bit different. The only other thing I would point out on this discussion is that it's probably the only public game that has had every aspect of it directly handled and overseen by a single person, so it might have turned out a little differently as a whole package than other games have. Not to say there wasn't a lot of help involved along the way, but everything you see on Predator was either designed and done by me, personally, or was directly overseen and directed by me to the end you see today. I don't really know if any other game has been built this way or not, but that might have something to do with it.

Quoted from rai:

First, let me say I have not seen the game myself, just video and pictures. Since we were talking about JJP, lets call WoZ the exact opposite of 'home brew' more like if JJP is the Tesla (car manufacturer) of Pinball, all new components, new guts, new this new that. Raising the bar, rewriting the book whatever you want to call it.

It's hard to not consider JJP 'home brew' in the sense that they went and designed just about everything new, but considering their approach with enlisting so much top-notch, well-established talent and resources, I can see what you mean. But then...

Quoted from rai:

Now on the other end of the spectrum is Skit-B and Predator with a tiny fraction of a budget compared to Woz, yet you are trying to get to the same destination. That is (to steal a phrase from Stern) 'Real Pinball'.

Make no mistake, we get the majority of our parts from the same people and places that WoZ gets their parts from, with all the same quality and just as robust. I think the most present difference in how we are perceived differently comes from the budget. JJP set his sights on creating the most advanced and complex machine ever built, and I don't think I'm alone in feeling like he succeeded heavily in that regard. We never once wanted to 'take the pinball world by storm' and introduce a machine that would blow away anyone who played it or came near it. We wanted to take away the terrible trend of boring game rules and non-tournament-friendly tables and reestablish a good, deep game based not on the number of shots and toys you could fit in it, but based on shots that feel good and software to back it up and make you think when you play a game. But most of all, the focus of Predator was to make a game that is balanced and tournament-viable with no randomization or punished successful shots. I know that got soap-boxy for a second there, but the point I'm eventually driving to is that it didn't take a hell of a lot of budget to do that, it took a ton of creativity and the hope that I might know what I'm doing when designing a game If you remove the budget of paying salaries to some of the greatest known minds in pinball and also remove the budget of designing a ton of super-complex circuit boards and their dependencies, pardon the expression but you save a metric shit-ton right there.
We have the best in the industry giving their best efforts to make sure that when our games go out, they are the absolute best they can be, because in all seriousness, their success is directly related to ours. If any one of the systems in our games fail, people will know it and it will reflect on the companies and people that provided those systems and they all know it and give us their absolute best. There are already so many talented people that tackle every last angle of this industry that are having-a-go at making a living off of it, that it makes no sense to ignore that talent and dedication.

Quoted from rai:

I have seen with computer games, you don't need a million dollars to make a great PC game. Not sure if you are into PC games but there are indie games such as 'Minecraft' or 'Super Meat Boy' which have been made on a shoe string budget and don't have the visual graphics of top development games. But these low budget games can be better than the million dollar games in many cases.

By today's standards, Duke Nukem, Mortal Kombat and Quake could be considered 'indie' games, and look what they did. Minecraft is a great example where the idea was WAY more important than he marketing, and what a difference it made. Hell, along these same lines, Facebook was made by five guys in college. Marketing is powerful stuff, but sometimes not even a lack of marketing can hold something back. While I'm on this rant, I'll also mention that Krispy Kreme Donuts have never paid for advertising and who the hell doesn't know what a Krispy Kreme is? All I'm saying is something doesn't need to be a sensation for it to be awesome and appreciated, but it sure is nice to see the little guys totally make it

Quoted from rai:

So, long way to my question right? But the question is, if you put Predator next to say T2 (say we had a supply of NIB T2 games out there) how would Predator fare next to that other Arnold movie pin? I picked T2 as an example for to me, Predator while being a 21st century game is kind of retro with the 27 year old movie, kind of retro PF artwork etc..

First of all, the similarities to T2 were not purposely done, but the retro-ish art direction was deliberate. If you were to put Predator against T2 just for the sake of comparison and contrast, Predator feels MUCH more modern and you have a lot more on your mind while you play it. T2 is fun, but is kind of shallow at the end of the day, when you think about it. Running ramps to line-up Payback Time and constantly readying multiball is all you've really got to do in T2, outside of maybe pumping up your left-loop to get those rewards up there. In Predator you have to keep track of how many hunts you have made, how many hunt attempts you have left, which characters you've eliminated, how many locks you've made, which mode is ready, how many times you've lit mystery, the list goes on. In T2 if you can reliably nail super jackpots, you own that game, and while getting those supers isn't necessarily 'easy,' it most definitely is something you can 'get used to.' To my knowledge, there isn't anything like that in Predator.

Quoted from rai:

Or we put Predator right next to Stern Star Trek pro (just picked another 'ballpark' game due to price and relevance in the same era of production). How would we stack up Predator to ST (or MET or some other Stern game if you have played them?).

I've got to be honest here, and say that Stern games have been exponentially losing my interest since Lord of the Rings, save for a few titles, so I might not be the best person to ask this question. That being said, I'll be as objective as possible. The inherent problems with a lot of Stern titles is their need to pack more and more stuff onto the table. I know a lot of people really like that 'bang for your buck' aspect of Stern games, but I never have and I'm banking on the thought that there have to be people like me out there who miss clean, flowing games, and that thought is ever-backed-up by the IPDB Top Ten, which rarely shows anything other than Williams/Bally titles that follow that same thought pattern. Anyways, with packing so much stuff onto the table, in the form of both shots and toys, the experience becomes not only incredibly execution-intensive (being able to make tight shots, etc) but extremely random, at times. A lot of you will remember my rant about Transformers being unplayable at a tournament level, and I stand by that. A ball lock that fires out at a sling shot? That means two different people who make the same shot will end up with different results on the SAME machine. Metallica has a shot to the far lower-left that returns to the left inlane, but will sometimes drain out the outlane and, last I played, there was no software in place to combat that. Star Trek is the hardest for me to talk about in this regard, for a lot of reasons, but the most objective of them is the center shot. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they thought just releasing the ball in the dead-center of the playfield was a good idea. You won't find any of that stuff in a Skit-B title, ever.

Quoted from rai:

As far as Predator being less 'polished' visually than Woz or Star Trek, I am sure we agree to that. But is Predator just a quaint home brew for hard core Predator geeks? Or is it on par to games like T2 or ST or Met (for example).

I'll give you less polished than WoZ visually, and many Stern games do look fantastic, but I can objectively say that Predator can stand next to any of them. After all of the criticism, both good and bad, we have seen with our playfield art, I have to wonder how people feel about Star Trek's minimalist approach to playfield art. WoZ is insanely pretty, and I've spent about half this post pretty much explaining that we're never going to that level of presentation for a lot of reasons, so I'll just leave it at that. As far as directly comparing Predator to this other short list of games, I'll sum it up like this:

Predator was designed and built to evolve games like Terminator 2, and to outshine games like ST or Met in terms of playability, accessibility and fun factor.

#6744 6 years ago

Loving the open line of communication, Kevin. It goes a long way. I think I speak for everyone when I say it's very much appreciated!

#6745 6 years ago

Thanks for the updates Kevin, when is the deadline for the personalized quote? I vaguely recall an email on this a few months back.

#6746 6 years ago

Predator was designed and built to evolve games like Terminator 2, and to outshine games like ST or Met in terms of playability, accessibility and fun factor.

Wow, go get em big guy. Sounds great!

One thing that would be really cool for you guys to adopt down the road is once the code is considered "done" and paid for, add some power pack updates to improve "playability, accessibility and the fun factor".

With the price you guys are charging I think most people would ante up another $500 for a significant update down the road, lets say 200 at $500 per, 100k and we get a new updated game

#6747 6 years ago

I'm rooting for ya SkipB to do well with this and hope it turns out great. I didn't order one but have some friends that did and can't wait to play it. Hope this turns out to be the beginning of some great games from you. Competition is always good for pinball and in the end the player/buyers win.

#6748 6 years ago

May have been asked, but will Skit-B be at the Ohio Pinball Show?

#6749 6 years ago

Skit-B's 2nd machine should be Duke Nukem: Adult, Fun, Action. A cool theme that would fit perfectly next to Predator. Lots of Mod possibilities as there are cool Toys around. Man that would be cool and I think Nobody came up with the idea until now....

#6750 6 years ago

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum !"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 209.99
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside