New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 26628)

New Predator Info Thread

By SkitBPinball

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7,117 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 590 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 143.
#6001 7 years ago

Typical. Every time this pin is out in the public somehow not a single one of you guys manages to take any video or pictures. Luckily, I'm used to this, so I didn't expect much if anything. We'll just have to wait for an "official" video I suppose.

#6002 7 years ago

I thought this game was sapossed to start shipping by Xmas. Does not look that way to me. Still just one proto type?? I am having second thoughts that these guys can pull this off.

#6003 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I thought this game was sapossed to start shipping by Xmas. Does not look that way to me. Still just one proto type?? I am having second thoughts that these guys can pull this off.

Yeah..looking for reasons to stay in at this point..high hopes!

#6004 7 years ago

it-impatient.jpgimpatience.jpg......

#6005 7 years ago

I recently put an initial 250.00 deposit down because of the theme. I still have not received a confirmation from SkitB stating anything. Pretty frustrating. Think I'm starting to understand why a spot opened up for me. Still have hope for this but hope is turning to despair rapidly. :-/

#6006 7 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

I recently put an initial 250.00 deposit down because of the theme. I still have not received a confirmation from SkitB stating anything. Pretty frustrating. Think I'm starting to understand why a spot opened up for me. Still have hope for this but hope is turning to despair rapidly. :-/

I'm sure your deposit has been received, email is not Skit-Bs strong suit. Maybe when Kevin posts the video tonight he will see your post and confirm it here.

#6007 7 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

email is not Skit-Bs strong suit.

What is??? No really.

I went to Expo to see and play Predator. Nothing that was promised happened.

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Maybe when Kevin posts the video tonight

I'll take that bet.

#6008 7 years ago

If the video doesn't come within the next 24 hrs I'm afraid I'm out. Guessing I'll have to contact my ccard company to get a refund as I haven't yet heard a sound from skitb confirming my payment. Fingers crossed. Really hoping for a great product.

#6009 7 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

What is??? No really.
I went to Expo to see and play Predator. Nothing that was promised happened.

I'll take that bet.

Well it's looking like you're right about the video. If I had decide to get a refund I hope there are no problems. I just want to see some progress.

#6010 7 years ago

This thread is dead... 100_1357.jpg

#6011 7 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Typical. Every time this pin is out in the public somehow not a single one of you guys manages to take any video or pictures. Luckily, I'm used to this, so I didn't expect much if anything. We'll just have to wait for an "official" video I suppose.

I recorded this in Tacoma, posted it with a review, and got very little notice / comment. It's not much, but I believe it is the very latest video of the game in play. This was the old prototype mind you.

#6012 7 years ago

I actually saw this on youtube but didn't watch it due to it being the wizard mode.

Damn guys. I'm pretty bummed.

#6013 7 years ago

-Film new video Sunday.
-Edit video on Monday.
-Post video on Pinside Tuesday.

>>Prove me wrong

#6014 7 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

I actually saw this on youtube but didn't watch it due to it being the wizard mode.
Damn guys. I'm pretty bummed.

Remember, it had way dialed down flippers and was set up super easy.

#6015 7 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Prove me wrong

Couldn't resist. Emails going out later.

#6016 7 years ago

HA! I kept hitting F5 before bed and was rewarded!!!

#6017 7 years ago

LOVE the Unload software idea!!

EDIT: Honestly though, I can't see shit on the UV layer. I can just barely make out the blood trails, but the open face predator, for me, is totally MIA.

EDIT 2: I knew the display was bad ass from the expo, but it's uhm, bad ass.

EDIT 3: Those are new pop caps aren't they? Look green, not that teal. Could really use a chopper on the pops' left plastic.

EDIT 4: One worry I have is the ramps and the UV layer effect. I'm afraid their side effect glow is going to overwhelm the playfield cool factor for which you're (we're) shooting. They actually look cool in their own right, but they're very distracting if the main thrust of the experience is supposed to be the field, not the ramps. I think that UV layer is going to have to be REALLY strong to compensate. At this point I wonder if upping the cost for the metal ramps might have been the way to go.

#6018 7 years ago

Looking nice! Looking forward to seeing the final product with a 100% done everything. You have made major headway with large portions of the game.

#6019 7 years ago

Awesome! Thanks Kevin for posting the vid. Watched it a few times and it made my weekend complete. I appreciate all your hard work and look forward to playing this in the distant future.

#6020 7 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

LOVE the Unload software idea!!.

I can't claim this one. The Unload idea came from Josh Sharpe this past April at the Michigan expo. I don't know if the video captured the machine credits screen, but that is why his name is listed in the special thanks

Quoted from navajas:

Honestly though, I can't shit on the UV layer. I can just barely make out the blood trails, but the open face Predator, for me, is totally MIA.

Think big. It takes up the majority of the lower playfield. As was stated in the video, this application was very light and was used as a proof-of-concept on a large scale. The concept passed with flying colors, so we're going all out on the next one, which should be done this week.

Quoted from navajas:

Those are new pop caps aren't they? Look green, not that teal.

The pop caps are the teal color, but they light up BRIGHT green with those 5-way cointakers in them.

#6021 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking nice! Looking forward to seeing the final product with a 100% done everything. You have made major headway with large portions of the game.

Thank you! We are definitely in the last leg of this race. The new changes have been sent to their respective professionals for updating, so you should be seeing the 100% done everything edition(©) very soon!

Quoted from M055781:

Awesome! Thanks Kevin for posting the vid. Watched it a few times and it made my weekend complete. I appreciate all your hard work and look forward to playing this in the distant future.

Thank you, as well. Glad I could help bring your Sunday to a good close. It's nice to be appreciated, and I promise that won't be too distant a future in which you get to play it

#6022 7 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Think big. It takes up the majority of the lower playfield. As was stated in the video, this application was very light and was used as a proof-of-concept on a large scale. The concept passed with flying colors, so we're going all out on the next one, which should be done this week.

Oh wait. I think I see his dreads on the left by the sling plastic. Right? Are those his eyes right above the countdown explosion thingy?

#6023 7 years ago

Looks very good overall. The theme appears to be extremely well-integrated. Music, callouts, effects sounds, claw toy.

Unload mode is very cool.

#6024 7 years ago

Lookin' great!

#6025 7 years ago

I agree looked cool indeed. Thanks for the video!

#6026 7 years ago

Looking awesome, as a package I think it's all coming together really nicely.
Only thing I didn't like was the ball seems to take for ever to get through the
small opening into the pop bumpers.
As Big Kev would say " I'm Excited "

#6027 7 years ago

well Kev, that looks like serious players machine, nice work to both of you...the ramp rework is a good idea, also the plastics would have looked better if they were layered, and the foliage graphics smaller like a jungle canopy look from a chopper..all in all very nice work, the lighting and sound are awesome.

#6028 7 years ago

Loving it! Couldn't make out the UV open faced Predator but I'm SO excited!

#6029 7 years ago

Nice to see scoring the way a game should be. Just like classic 90's era!

#6030 7 years ago

WOW...after all the months of micro analysis of artwork, cabinet trim & whatever else - I'd almost forgotten THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE FREIKN FUN! Really appreciate the post Kevin!

Cheers #64

#6031 7 years ago

STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL
STRAWBERRY JAM SKULL

#6032 7 years ago

Looking good. It is coming together nicely. Looking forward to the next video.

#6033 7 years ago

The software intricacies is what I look forward to most with these updates and that unload mode is a great idea. Great sounds too, and very happy with the development so far.

I can see the pred's forehead a bit on the UV layer, so I can make out the scale of the thing which looks to cover the entire bottom half of the viewable playing area. Cant wait to see it in person.

#6034 7 years ago

Is there an option in the menu to take out all the advertising on the plasma display or will that have to stay there? And just a suggestion for the covers at the end of the ramps. Would a blue rubber stop or stainless steel liner help to slow the ball up at the end of the ramps? Maybe copy some of B/W more successful methods on that. Not crazy about how that cover looks. Maybe ad a strategically placed wire on top of the ramp by the curve where the ball flies off, sort of like a guard rail? Or better yet, switch to metal ramps like Navajas said, i"m sure people wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for that.

#6035 7 years ago

I'm sure someone already mentioned using glo balls but I keep thinking how bad it worked on Viper. I always thought the black-light concept was cool, if these guys can make it really pop out at you, this game is going to be awesome, if not it's going to look like a gimmick that didn't go over too well.

#6036 7 years ago

Kevin and the gang are doing a great job! Looks awesome. I really like the cabinet and red armour. I can't wait to see it in my house. The plasma display and graphics are definitely top notch. It wreaks of greatness. The uv lighting looks pretty sweet as well. I know there has been some criticism as of late and maybe a few premature drop outs(i'm sure due to MMR release although they won't admit it)but I would rather play a crisp new game than a 20 year old remake. I can't wait to rack it up! I wonder if a new Pinball game has a similar smell like a new car? I shall soon see.

#6037 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Is there an option in the menu to take out all the advertising on the plasma display or will that have to stay there? And just a suggestion for the covers at the end of the ramps. Would a blue rubber stop or stainless steel liner help to slow the ball up at the end of the ramps? Maybe copy some of B/W more successful methods on that. Not crazy about how that cover looks. Maybe ad a strategically placed wire on top of the ramp by the curve where the ball flies off, sort of like a guard rail? Or better yet, switch to metal ramps like Navajas said, i"m sure people wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for that.

I agree 100% with NYP. Food for thought guys.

I loved seeing that glossy clear coated playfield in the video. How many coats of clear are being used?

I've been at every pinball show since SkitB began touring including their kick off at Allentown 2 or 3 years ago. With every show I have seen improvements in this game and I have found Kevin to be a stand up guy. He probably thinks I stalking him and I’m in hunt mode.

I was at Expo also and disappointed I couldn't play it as were many. But I wasn't disappointed in the physical aspects of this machine. The playfield artwork looks better in person than how it presents in pictures and video - To each his own I guess but I think it looks great.

Sorry to see people drop out but for five grand new in box and a true limited edition of 250 machines, I’m in.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#6038 7 years ago

Great video for a great game

#6039 7 years ago

Any idea how dark it needs to be in the room to see the UV reactive stuff? If you are playing this in a lit room or during the day, will you be able to see it still?

#6040 7 years ago

thanks for the video, is the refresh line something we will see or is that just because it's on video? That refresh line looks horrible.

I can't see shit of the UV paint.

#6041 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

thanks for the video, is the refresh line something we will see or is that just because it's on video? That refresh line looks horrible.

It's an artifact generated by the fact that the camera captures at a different frame rate than the display runs. Not visible at all to the human eye.

#6042 7 years ago

Here are my thoughts after this latest video:

Pluses:
- Plasma DMD looks amazing.
- Cab art and red armor looks fantastic. Translite is a bit simple, but it's still pretty nice, very menacing.
- UV idea seems good, just hope the final UV layer is better (as Kevin said it will be).
- Unload mode looks like a blast.
- The toys look pretty good.

Negatives:
- GI lighting is flat out terrible. The whites are so bright, it completely washes out all of the plastics colors. The center of the playfield is way too dark. Hopefully there will be some spotlights added (although they weren't mentioned). Obviously you want to play this game in the dark for the UV effect, but when the UV isn't on, the playfield shouldn't be so damn dark.
- It worries me that this is being called a release candidate, because a lot of it still looks pieced together. I'll withhold judgement on this until the final build is done though.
- Seems like the jam covered skull is here to stay, that's disappointing.

I'd like to suggest something that's probably too late, but how about ramp exit's like Mousin' Around? Where basically the ball doesn't slow down at all at the exit, it would make this fast paced game even faster. No clue why this isn't used more often.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I see, but not enough to go all in yet.

#6043 7 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Negatives:- GI lighting is flat out terrible. The whites are so bright, it completely washes out all of the plastics colors. The center of the playfield is way too dark. Hopefully there will be some spotlights added (although they weren't mentioned). Obviously you want to play this game in the dark for the UV effect, but when the UV isn't on, the playfield shouldn't be so damn dark.- It worries me that this is being called a release candidate, because a lot of it still looks pieced together. I'll withhold judgement on this until the final build is done though.- Seems like the jam covered skull is here to stay, that's disappointing.
I'd like to suggest something that's probably too late, but how about ramp exit's like Mousin' Around? Where basically the ball doesn't slow down at all at the exit, it would make this fast paced game even faster. No clue why this isn't used more often.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I see, but not enough to go all in yet.

Agree on everything you said.

#6044 7 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

- GI lighting is flat out terrible. The whites are so bright, it completely washes out all of the plastics colors. The center of the playfield is way too dark. Hopefully there will be some spotlights added (although they weren't mentioned). Obviously you want to play this game in the dark for the UV effect, but when the UV isn't on, the playfield shouldn't be so damn dark.

I really think his camera's exposure settings affected the appearance of the PF. It was noticeable as soon as Kevin shows us the front of the cab (couldn't see the artwork, coindoor or shooter button). Im sure the GI lighting issues were thought out. Anyone who saw it in person, please chime in.

#6045 7 years ago

I know this is a homemade pin, damn great job at that!

But it seems disjointed, I mean the code and the DMD, sound effects are really, really good, lots of great stuff there, good to have high quality speakers and back glass lighting which are unknown at this price point from Stern. So I don't want to sound all negative.

But there is something missing, it could be a simple thing like improved GI light and better UV effect (which you say it will have better UV effects).

I can not tell from the video, but this game needs to be made so that it will play in a low light room. You have to consider if when it's not in a blackout mode, can we see anything without ambient light? The entire middle of the PF is unlighted from what I can see.

I think it's a solid game especially for a homemade game (I mean the software, dots sound music.. seem to be professional, and probably better than most Stern games) but just seems to be Yin and Yang meaning a very polished and professional software and code package (sound and dots are A1+) but the playfield, lack of targets or modern features like a magnet make it seem straight from the early 90s (T2 era). I suppose that's the concept, like if this game was released when the movie was out it would look like this, I mean the art layout and low(no) toys. But to me it's a nice game, but not something that is transcendent. It seems as if you took a Taxi shell and re did the rules to make It a modern game. I know that it's getting near final, but possible some tweaks to the GI lighting and maybe the ramp return so there less or no slow down to the return. I couldn't tell from your video but the shark club video had the ball swirl a lot before they exit the ramp holes. That is a buzz kill for me.

Thanks for all the work you guys have put in. You guys are fantastic.

I don't want to sound like I'm a nag but just want to point out a thing or two that could be looked at or improved before it goes gold.

#6046 7 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Pluses:
- Plasma DMD looks amazing.
- Cab art and red armor looks fantastic. Translite is a bit simple, but it's still pretty nice, very menacing.
- UV idea seems good, just hope the final UV layer is better (as Kevin said it will be).
- Unload mode looks like a blast.
- The toys look pretty good.

Negatives:
- It worries me that this is being called a release candidate, because a lot of it still looks pieced together. I'll withhold judgement on this until the final build is done though.
- Seems like the jam covered skull is here to stay, that's disappointing.

I really couldn't have summarized any better myself. After seeing the game in person at Expo, walking up to it the cabinet blew me away. The playfield and toy integration looked a little unpolished and left me somewhat worried, but there is still plenty of time to improve that aspect. Just having final CLEAR ramps will make a huge difference, and finished toys and plastics will drastically improve the look. For me, the depth of the game is what excites me the most, followed by of course the limited aspect (always cool to be the only guy in your pinball group with a game). If Kevin says we'll be blown away by the final implementation of the UV layer.... I'm staying put and #142 will be in my lineup in 2014.

#6047 7 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I really think his camera's exposure settings affected the appearance of the PF. It was noticeable as soon as Kevin shows us the front of the cab (couldn't see the artwork, coindoor or shooter button). Im sure the GI lighting issues were thought out. Anyone who saw it in person, please chime in.

I see what you are saying, but I doubt it. The plastics themselves color looked washed out in the video, I doubt that was due to camera exposure, although perhaps the harshness of the lighting that wasn't covered by plastics was. Also the center of the playfield is completely unlit, no way it isn't dark.

#6048 7 years ago

Played this at Shark Club on saturday really not knowing anything about it other than it was homemade. I thought for a homemade game it was VERY impressive. Especially the DMD animations. However, the playfield was rather bland and shots weren't overly exciting. The lock capture feature off the ramp was pretty cool. The one thing that worked wonderfully and really blew me away was the UV feature. I wasn't expecting it at all and it just awesome especially since it tied into the movie theme so well. I think i got through all the modes except for one so probably saw most of what the game has to offer. Not sure how much more work is going to be done to the game but as of now I would say it is a VERY cool novelty. Fun to try out but nothing I feel compelled to play over and over again.

#6049 7 years ago

This is looking good. I love how strong the flippers look! As far as GI goes... if I were to get one of these, I would just replace some of the cool whites with warm white and possibly a few greens and tie in some spotlights for the center playfield area. Cheap and easy fix. Then I would play the HELL out of it. Get to the damn CHOPPA!!!

#6050 7 years ago

I played this at Shark Club over the weekend too and it looked/played so much better than the last time I played it earlier this year. Very cool art and sound; made me want to put up for a pre-order. Can you still do that?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
TheDudeMods
$ 400.00
Playfields
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 79.00
$ 218.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 27.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 8,800.00
Pinball Machine
Stealth arcade
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
€ 279.00
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 189.99
There are 7117 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside