View topic image gallery

image-108.jpg
mondocreepshowvariant.jpg
603014_10152354237528677_125651998_n.jpg
Predator2.jpg
predator.jpg
image.jpg
ladypredator.jpg
Free-Shipping-Jewelry-Earring-display-font-b-Necklace-b-font-showcase-Jewelry-Display-Rack-stand-font.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
1392926019628.jpg
20140220_135226.jpg
predatormaskoff.gif
predator-homeworld-cartoon.png
image-450.jpg
image-815.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 7,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 143.
#5951 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's a standard size apron. The lens is making it look bigger because it's in the foreground.

#5952 10 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Video coming soon. Here's a nice after-midnight shot with the whole game all lit up. Cell phone quality, but still looks nice

Looks great! Is there any chance you have a schedule of the other events you will be at in the next year? I was really hoping to have some time with the game in its near-final form before I pony up the full moneys and obviously didn't get the chance I was looking forward to at expo.

#5953 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Two things:
1) Anyone else having troble seeing the picture that Kevin posted? I'm getting a 403.
2) Has there ever been an explanation about that mondo huge apron? Is that a virtual cabinet thing? I think the Sonic deal next to it had the same one. Or, is this just a me getting older thing and it only looks way bigger than usual.

If that's the apron we get I'm gonna ditch it and try to get a metal one. I think that one is an eyesore. Looks like one of those vitualpin aprons.

#5954 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

If that's the apron we get I'm gonna ditch it and try to get a metal one. I think that one is an eyesore. Looks like one of those vitualpin aprons.

Uhm. It IS a virtuapin cabinet. Right?

#5955 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Uhm. It IS a virtuapin cabinet. Right?

Yeah it is, I didn't realize they were adding those ugly plastic aprons though.

#5956 10 years ago

#5957 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Yeah it is, I didn't realize they were adding those ugly plastic aprons though.

I'm ignorant to this sort of thing. Is it just cheesy plastic, or is it as big as it looks? Is the game shorter, or just farther away?

#5958 10 years ago

Nice throwback Arnold

#5959 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I'm ignorant to this sort of thing. Is it just cheesy plastic, or is it as big as it looks? Is the game shorter, or just farther away?

Yeah cheesy plastic I believe, I'm not sure of the size comparable to most aprons. It does look oversized though.

#5960 10 years ago

Bring on the video Kevin, we're chomping at the bit here.

#5961 10 years ago

Yawn

#5962 10 years ago

The apron on Sonic the Hedgehog is a doofy plastic one, but the one for Predator is definitely metal and has a bit of a texture to it. It's also the same overall size as most any other apron, so I think the funky look is just the angle of the photo.

#5963 10 years ago

The apron on Sonic the Hedgehog is a doofy plastic one, but the one for Predator is definitely metal and has a bit of a texture to it. It's also the same overall size as most any other apron, so I think the funky look is just the angle of the photo.

It's more than just the angle, it has no cards in that shot, and there are no triangle shaped screened images on it either, and we're used to seeing both break up the surface of the apron into parts, instead of just one whole mass.

#5964 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's more than just the angle, it has no cards in that shot, and there are no triangle shaped screened images on it either, and we're used to seeing both break up the surface of the apron into parts, instead of just one whole mass.

That's what it is. I couldn't tell from the pic.

#5965 10 years ago

So how long till the video Kevin?

#5966 10 years ago
Quoted from Montu32:

Looks great!!! like a jungle in there
Skit B is the hanging body going to be covered with jungle plastic or whatever to hide the mech?
Btw love the ramp that seems to go through the tree on the right side

Quoted from SideTrackTap:

That picture really does the game and playfield justice. Very nice...
Chris

Sucks that pinside downgrades it. The direct link is better. I'll see if Gene got more pics that he didn't upload to his site.

#5967 10 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

My friend Gene X Hwang is a incredible photographer. Wish he took more pics of Predator at Expo but here's one.
If you want to see more awesome expo pics, as well as pics of our local scene in the SF Bay Area, check out:
http://store.orangephotography.com/sfpins

tocatchapredator.jpg 299 KB

Wow that Photo does do the playfield justice... I'm just waiting for some video and should be sold as the theme and game code itself is what sold me in the first place. Thanks for posting that pic!

#5968 10 years ago

Poop

#5969 10 years ago

Taking the game back out into the wild tomorrow night for an open house at our local venue here in Michigan. I'm sure some folks will score some photos and short videos, then Sunday I'll be recording the official video. I put about 25 test plays on it tonight making minor adjustments when necessary, and everything is going very well on this end.

#5970 10 years ago

Taking the game back out into the wild tomorrow night for an open house at our local venue here in Michigan. I'm sure some folks will score some photos and short videos, then Sunday I'll be recording the official video. I put about 25 test plays on it tonight making minor adjustments when necessary, and everything is going very well on this end.

Good to know kevin, I look foward to the video and pics.

#5971 10 years ago

Wish I was closer. GLWTOH

#5972 10 years ago

No offense but wouldn't have been nice to see different shades of camo green as the side rails... lock bar and legs....

#5973 10 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

No offense but wouldn't have been nice to see different shades of camo green as the side rails... lock bar and legs....

Yuck. The red looks great in person, what you're suggesting sounds gross.

#5974 10 years ago

Guys, the trim is red. I'm sure it isn't going to change. I'm sure they experimented with other colors. It looks fine to me

#5975 10 years ago

Actually in person, the red looks stunning in person. Really draws attention to the machine. Offsets the other colors.

#5976 10 years ago

I am hoping you get this video out soon Kevin and it sounds like the team will. There are quite a few concerned with what is going on at this point, I being one of them, and unfortunately some have bailed. PLEASE hit this outta the park with the video, the performance of the game out in the wild and continue the communication with the people that still are supporting Skit B. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

#5977 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yuck. The red looks great in person, what you're suggesting sounds gross.

Yes, I like the red. It's pretty close to blood red.

It's a good contrast to the rest of the game which already has a ton of green.

#5978 10 years ago

Snorefest, somebody wake me when the party starts............

#5979 10 years ago

Please tell me someone will be there with a camera (and not a potato that somehow takes WMV video clips, or someone snapping photos with their TI-89 calculator...)!

#5980 10 years ago

Enough of the whingeing already. Sound like a bunch of old women. I want this, I don't like that, blah blah blah.

#5982 10 years ago

For the record if anyone has a potato that can take WMV I would like to see it too.

#5983 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For the record if anyone has a potato that can take WMV I would like to see it too.

^This is truth!

#5984 10 years ago

No pics or video of it out in the wild tonight?

#5985 10 years ago

I was hoping I'd see some pictures on Facebook but nothing yet

#5986 10 years ago

Correct that, I did see some indirect pictures. It is sitting next to WOZ and somebody is playing it in one of the pictures. You really can't see anything though so it's not worth posting.

#5987 10 years ago

Oh well. One more day

#5988 10 years ago

1382887939692.jpg1382887939692.jpg

#5989 10 years ago

I got to get hands-on with Predator at Shark Club's Halloween party last night. I would've taken some pictures and video, but there were enough iPhones and DSLR's surrounding the machine I figured somebody else would've had this taken care of already

Predator is fun but definitely felt "homemade". The game played as a pinball game should, but things just felt...I dunno...loose. The layout plays well, but I found it hard to make ramp shots. The ramps themselves have a nice shape to them, but are sort of milky/matte looking, especially when the UV lights kick on (more on that later). The ramps are also sort of long and high and "gave" a bit, making them hard to complete, especially after playing a lot of new Star Trek recently.

The plastics are overwhelmingly jungle and they have all these extra holes drilled into them - no idea what that's all about. The large plastic north of the pop bumpers is just screaming for a "chopper" or even some gameplay instructions - anything but more leaves! The designers should take a cue from High Speed for clever ways to break up a foliage-driven plastic set. The pop bumper caps were also green. Even if they don't turn the pops into straw huts, some red to break up the green everywhere would be nice!

Also, not to nitpick (but pinball really is all about the details...) the font used on the inserts looks pre-worn. I get that they're using the Predator logo-font on the inserts...but they shouldn't be. All-caps Arial is fine, whatever. Anything is better than print that looks 10 years old already.

The cabinet is reallllly classy. Great glossy paint and the red armor really ties the everything together. Also, the translite rocks and stares down the entire room. The flippers feel snappy, responsive, and crisp and the DMD and its effects are totally professional. The playfield art is what it is, but the box holding the thing together looks great.

Now that whole UV mode...it's pretty awesome! The "Hunt Mode" as it's called is quite innovative. The way you can "call your shot" with the extra flipper buttons, lighting your shot of choice, and then successfully nailing it makes you feel like Babe Ruth. The blacklights have a strong effect on the ramps and the flipper bats, but the playfield and plastics just turn kinda purpley. However, the DMD animation and sound effect of the Predator's vision totally sell the gimick, making you feel like you're playing both sides of the conflict in the movie. It's pretty damn cool and must be personally experienced. I doubt video will sell it.

Overall, I enjoyed it as a player (and a HUGE Predator fan!), but from a collector's standpoint, I've gotta say it still felt a bit cheap and incomplete, especially in a room full of similarly priced Sterns. But hey - new pinball is good pinball! I'm really glad they brought it out.

#5990 10 years ago

Wait, so during the hunt, how was the playfield UV layer? I'm not talking about ramp side effects, I mean the art.

#5991 10 years ago

So there was nothing that showed up only under the UV lighting? No drawing in UV reactive paint?

#5992 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

and they have all these extra holes drilled into them

I hope the plastics don't come with a bunch of extra holes them? I can't see why they would really.

#5993 10 years ago

I guess Kevin mentioned that UV light effects are working much bettet / impressive with the new playfields. Might be that this Predator had same setup as last weekend, only the issues which happens during the Expo have been solved. Regarding the size of the Apron I guess it's due to the fact that they might habe the personalized plate on one hand side ?

#5994 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Wait, so during the hunt, how was the playfield UV layer? I'm not talking about ramp side effects, I mean the art.

The best way I can describe how the playfield art reacted to the UV lights is "purple haze". It definitely reacts, but it doesn't turn the game into a blacklight poster experience. Objects that are white pop the most, everything else takes on a glowing purple tint. Now, perhaps with no ambient light in the room this will be a different experience.

I didn't notice any deliberate ramp side effects, just the ramp glowing according to how thick and polished the plastic was.

Quoted from Cobra:

So there was nothing that showed up only under the UV lighting? No drawing in UV reactive paint?

I didn't see anything that really qualified as a "drawing in UV reactive paint", no. Not like a "hidden message" that is revealed by UV light or anything. It felt more like the whole playfield was smeared in a UV reactive paint to make it glow? It's best to think of it as turning the playfield into "Predator-vision"...kinda.

Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I hope the plastics don't come with a bunch of extra holes them? I can't see why they would really.

The holes were sparse and about the diameter of a pencil. I noticed them on the major left and right side plastics. I dunno if they're making space for another layer of plastics/toys or what these are for. Probably should've asked but the guys seemed mobbed.

#5995 10 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

Regarding the size of the Apron I guess it's due to the fact that they might habe the personalized plate on one hand side ?

Looks to be a standard size apron to me although i've never seen it in person.

#5996 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Looks to be a standard size apron to me although i've never seen it in person.

Thanks for the info RyThom!

#5997 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

The holes were sparse and about the diameter of a pencil. I noticed them on the major left and right side plastics. I dunno if they're making space for another layer of plastics/toys or what these are for.

Jungle canopy, dollars to donuts they're for trees

#5998 10 years ago

Kevin explained the holes at expo. Essentially it's just a cad oversight in the way the plastics layer. It automatically put a hole in the plastic where there is screw beneath it in the Playfield (for access). They won't be like that in production unless there's a reason over a screw...

#5999 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

.....I would've taken some pictures and video, but there were enough iPhones and DSLR's surrounding the machine I figured somebody else would've had this taken care of already....

so 5 hours after the post and almost one day after the party, not one pic, video... nothing.
why is it always like that? seems like the iphones didn't work!

#6000 10 years ago

Potatoes weren't charged up to get the flash to work...

All I'm looking for is some reason to send my full payment in (even thought I probably missed the cutoff date for the pre-payment perks), but unfortunately I haven't seen it yet (literally a "shut up and take my money!" type of deal )

There are 7,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 143.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread/page/120 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.