Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

turtle1 (resized).jpg
turtle2 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I have a Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles pinball machine...

I have had a few issues with power recently so replaced both Power boards with the new xpin style boards - In the past I have also replace the old screen with a newer style dot matrix screen.

The machine now powers up - happily accepts credits - but I have the following problems

(i) the ball will not release on start of game play - I have replaced the solenoid as this seemed shot -
(ii) The flippers do not hold up - they have full power but will not hold up in position
(iii) The sewer will open up but will not release any balls back into the gameplay

To my knowledge, everything else works ok.

any ideas on where to start next ????

Thanx in advance

#2 1 year ago

The flippers are powered by a different board than the rest of the solenoids. When you say "both power boards", do you mean the power board and the mpu?

#3 1 year ago

Do the ball release and sewer release work in the coil test? If so, I'd check the switches associated with them, and if not, you probably have some bad transistors on the MPU (especially if the coil was bad too)

#4 1 year ago

The two boards I replaced were the ones that have all the fuses on.

How do I conduct a test on coils? No manual.

#5 1 year ago

XPin Data East PPB board 520-5021-00 520-5021-05

Data East power supply PCB 520-5047-01 -02

are the Boards replaced

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from steveoc:

The two boards I replaced were the ones that have all the fuses on.
How do I conduct a test on coils? No manual.

Pg 21-28
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2509/Data_East_1991_Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_Manual.pdf

#7 1 year ago

Thank you - looks like a bit of reading to do....

any quick way to check the solenoids?

#8 1 year ago

ok so running diagnostics - when it comes to the new solenoid for ball launch no noise

#9 1 year ago

Coil Test to Make sure the Coil is Good.
Here's another method of testing coils, which is more "low-level". This will test if the coil itself is good, and that there is power at the coil.

Game is on and in "attract" mode, and the playfield lifted.
On games WWF Royal Rumble and later, close the coin door.
Connect an alligator clip to the grounding strap by the playfield prop rod.
Momentarily touch the other end of the alligator clip to the GROUND lug of the coil in question. This will be the coil lug with the single (thinner) wire attached. The ground coil lug is also the one with the non-banded side of the diode connected. If accidentally the alligator clip is touched to the power side of the coil, the game will reset and/or blow a fuse, as the solenoid high voltage is being shorted directly to ground.
The coil should fire. If the coil does not fire, it may be a coil that is L/R relay selected. Push the green coin door button into the down position, and press the black button. This will put the game in diagnostics mode. This should de-energize the L/R relay, and turn the power to the coil in question on (if the game is Time Machine to the Simpsons, ground transistor Q29's metal tab to energize the L/R relay, because the coil/flashlamp banks are reversed).
If the coil still does not fire, either the coil itself is bad, or the coil's fuse is blown causing power to the coil to be absent.

See also:
"A Coil Doesn't Work, What To Do."
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm

#10 1 year ago

right - founbd a couple of fuses blown under the table - flippers now stay up - just the ball release and sewer release

#11 1 year ago

I did change the coil to the ball release when I bought the new boards... so coil is fine

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from steveoc:

I did change the coil to the ball release when I bought the new boards... so coil is fine

Just a side note: coils rarely go bad. Unless it is visibly melted, usually there is something else wrong (I.e. a stuck switch causing a locked on transistor etc) Just don't jump on replacing coils first until you have verified WHY it isn't working. Keeping this fact in mind might save you time & money.

#13 1 year ago

Think I am starting to get in over my head now...

Assuming the new coil which was only about £10 is working, it would appear that it is not being "called" to switch on.

The manual online is a bit blurred so I cannot even see if wired up correctly. lets assume as I took pics before it is... so following the wires from the coil gets difficult as it just joins a huge loom...

From there on in I am just shaking my head and ra the machine

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from steveoc:

Think I am starting to get in over my head now...
Assuming the new coil which was only about £10 is working, it would appear that it is not being "called" to switch on.
The manual online is a bit blurred so I cannot even see if wired up correctly. lets assume as I took pics before it is... so following the wires from the coil gets difficult as it just joins a huge loom...
From there on in I am just shaking my head and ra the machine

These are complex machines, so you will need to decide if you have the patience to learn the processes of troubleshooting them. If you have no electronics experience or training you will be at a disadvantage.

First, identify the solenoid coil driving transistors and read at link below
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#trans

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from wayout440:

These are complex machines, so you will need to decide if you have the patience to learn the processes of troubleshooting them. If you have no electronics experience or training you will be at a disadvantage.
First, identify the solenoid coil driving transistors and read at link below
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#trans

Yes very true,it's always best to take it step by step starting with the small problems first.

#16 1 year ago

Here's a few pics from turtles game the second pic is the boards in the backbox,the first pic is one of the flipper boards in the cabinet under playfield.There should be 2 flipper boards in your game one on the right and one on the left.The blue arrow in the pic..Just disregard that.

turtle2 (resized).jpg
turtle1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbia, MD
$ 29.99
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 275.00
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside