41ACD72C-12B8-4C42-91D1-D3BD746FC1B3 (resized).jpeg
7C86711A-197F-429F-A53A-A94EEB562654 (resized).jpeg
6A7DF8E4-1023-434A-BD88-F21ACB4E13DD.gif
giphy.gif
43C1A8D3-3874-4FDE-8597-AE01033E739C (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
53BF1643-5997-45E4-B486-18772EB605A5.gif
tentacles.gif

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Do any of these naysayers even own a JJ POTC?

Ah yes, because ONLY owners can give their opinion. RIGHT....

GTFO of here with that BS biased logic.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Ah yes, because ONLY owners can give their opinion. RIGHT....
GTFO of here with that BS biased logic.

You just need eyes and some common sense

#53 1 year ago

I think it looks pretty cool. I do not own a pirates but happy for the people who do and have the means to buy one. Elite Topper has found a niche and kudos to them.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

I used to own one. This topper is fuuuuugly. Does my opinion count?

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from russdx:

Why build 100 at $2500 when you can just build 50 at $5000 same profit half the work

Only a complete fool with no regard for money would pay 5k for that topper. I’ll put money down right now that NO ONE will EVER sell a copy of that specific topper for 5k. Had they come out with it day one and day we only have 25 toppers for 5k I doubt they would have sold even ONE! The topper isn’t any good its a total mess of a topper. Cool elements that don’t make up a great topper. The topper looks like props in front of a TV.

This industry has a FOMO disease and people committed prior to seeing it work, based off the previous topper. Some people can justify the ask because of the price of the game itself. If you’re going to make a topper you need to beat the topper for the CE this is a complete FAIL!

Yes I’m interested to see how it sells aftermarket and yes I do think there are people who will pay more to buy it but how much more? I’m thinking 2,999.00 someone might but it, but some people who bought it hoping to flip it for 4 or 5k. GOOD LUCK with that.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

Only a complete fool with no regard for money would pay 5k for that topper. I’ll put money down right now that NO ONE will EVER sell a copy of that specific topper for 5k. Had they come out with it day one and day we only have 25 toppers for 5k I doubt they would have sold even ONE! The topper isn’t any good its a total mess of a topper. Cool elements that don’t make up a great topper. The topper looks like props in front of a TV.
This industry has a FOMO disease and people committed prior to seeing it work, based off the previous topper. Some people can justify the ask because of the price of the game itself. If you’re going to make a topper you need to beat the topper for the CE this is a complete FAIL!
Yes I’m interested to see how it sells aftermarket and yes I do think there are people who will pay more to buy it but how much more? I’m thinking 2,999.00 someone might but it, but some people who bought it hoping to flip it for 4 or 5k. GOOD LUCK with that.

I agree with your cost assessment. Pricing is high for these out of the gate. I weighed cost versus benefit for me personally. FOMO didn’t play in for me to buy my Elite IJ topper, I just wanted the best version for my lady; but I can see the resellers market with a slightly higher value, but not double. That’s into poor investment territory. Where do you resell from paying 5 grand? You can’t.
Cost is high but the market is there and obviously some folks will drop $2500 instantly. All POTC sold out quick.

#57 1 year ago

First thought: looks pretty good.
Few hours later: do I miss it om my game? Answer not decided yet.
Would I like to see it for real? Yes.
Am I tempted to buy it? I cannot deny I feel some serious interest in this topper.
Is it a work of art? I cannot produce it myself so respect to the creators.
Ok: before I buy I flip a coin. Heads = buy.
Flip……. Heads!!!!! Let’s order!!!!

Damn…. too late!!!

#58 1 year ago

I think its pretty darn cool! I was excited for the IJ topper, but once I saw it I wasn't that impressed for the $. This topper clearly exceeds the IJ topper.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Pirates owner here. 0 interest in this topper. Would prefer to put $2500 toward a new game rather than a thing that sits on top of a game.

#60 1 year ago

I'm expecting to get this back via UPS soon, so I'll put this out there--I'll trade Tom Brady's last touchdown football for one, just LMK.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

No. I’d also never spend $2500 on a topper.

But I don’t understand why that matters. If I were critiquing a game I had never played that’s one thing. But we’re talking about the artistic quality of a purely decorative toy that sits on top of the game. Which none of us have seen in person. So why is my take on how it looks any less valid than someone that owns the game and/or might actually drop $2.5k on an accessory?

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:No. I’d also never spend $2500 on a topper.
But I don’t understand why that matters. If I were critiquing a game I had never played that’s one thing. But we’re talking about the artistic quality of a purely decorative toy that sits on top of the game. Which none of us have seen in person. So why is my take on how it looks any less valid than someone that owns the game and/or might actually drop $2.5k on an accessory?

Yeah you gotta own a POTC to decide whether or not that atrocity is ridiculous or not.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Cost is high but the market is there and obviously some folks will drop $2500 instantly. All POTC sold out quick.

It’s not really a typical market if it’s limited to 100 pieces. You can likely sell anything to 100 pinball people if you get exposure through one of the main youtube channels.

This is a pure FOMO product and market. Besides this, I personally think it’s an interesting piece and it looks like quite a bit of work went into it. I wouldn’t trash it like others do and even think the price is ok. But I don’t think it says anything about a market, given the limited production and the high level exposure through this youtube channel.

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Pirates owner here. 0 interest in this topper. Would prefer to put $2500 toward a new game rather than a thing that sits on top of a game.

That's what I did, just paid for half of a Transformers LE Autobots...literally HALF!

#65 1 year ago

Tentacles themselves need lighting - perhaps from within.
As it is, they are black silhouettes against the bright monitor.
Their movement, too, is lifeless, and the teeter-totter waves are anything but realistic.
Sorry I’m not more supportive, but this design has a ways to go to justify the price.
A promising start though! Keep at it!

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I was excited for the IJ topper, but once I saw it I wasn't that impressed for the $. This topper clearly exceeds the IJ topper.

Nah. IJ ark topper literally had a billowing smoke feature.

If you are paying this many clams for ANY topper it had better be smoking right along with you.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

How can I relate this to cars?

F8FBAB50-021E-4E82-B754-D42CCBDED98B.gifF8FBAB50-021E-4E82-B754-D42CCBDED98B.gif
#70 1 year ago

Can I just buy the commemorative gold coin in the little sack as a "keepsake"? I want to stash it away in the floor safe along with Mom & Pop's wedding rings and my high school diploma.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Nah. IJ ark topper literally had a billowing smoke feature.
If you are paying this many clams for ANY topper it had better be smoking right along with you.

Definitely a cool feature

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

yeah, next to the perceived value of an artificially-inflated pinball machine, the artificially-inflated price of this useless add-on is an just such an amazing value!

How do you “artificially-inflate” something? I have a pair of used shoes I’d like to sell, and I’d like to artificially inflate the price on them. If people buy it, it’s worth that much, Your opinion of its worth is meaningless if it sells on a free and open market.

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from teletub:

How do you “artificially-inflate” something? I have a pair of used shoes I’d like to sell, and I’d like to artificially inflate the price on them. If people buy it, it’s worth that much, Your opinion of its worth is meaningless if it sells on a free and open market.

Prices on things get artificially inflated all the time, what are you talking about? The most recent example I can think of is in the retro gaming world, the company that does the grading, also owns the auction house, and they bid up a lot of items into insane territories. Maybe you remember the million dollar super mario bros cart thing that was going around in the news last year?

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from russdx:

They have seen a gap in there market where idiots will blow $2500 on a diorama sat on top of a pinball machine. Fantastic business model, and not even hit the ceiling yet.
Look forward to what comes next and what crazy price it will be
Why build 100 at $2500 when you can just build 50 at $5000 same profit half the work. And ppl will still buy it!!

if the goal was maximize profit they should have made 25 @ $5k and 5 @$10k. Instead of grossing $175k, the gross would become $1.75M for 10 x winning (tiger blood). No, I believe the motive was to be artsy and to sell an awesome topper in a way that made sense for them to offer it. I’m satisfied with the 100 @$2.5k and believe there was another 50 they could have made/sold but left on the table. Bottom line, this was not a money grab, it was Elite’s contribution to the pinball landscape. Great going Elite Team!

53BF1643-5997-45E4-B486-18772EB605A5.gif53BF1643-5997-45E4-B486-18772EB605A5.gif
#76 1 year ago

WOW the 3d printing looks like dogshit!!

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from teletub:

Send your used shoes to SDTM with a nice check,and have them pitch them on YouTube.

#78 1 year ago

What is the problem exactly? The quality or the price? If it was sold for 500 dollars no criticism? Maybe you prefer the original LE topper?? pathetic.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from Stef95:

What is the problem exactly? The quality or the price? If it was sold for 500 dollars no criticism? Maybe you prefer the original LE topper?? pathetic.

IMO piece requires a lot more post processing for it to warrant that price tag. Phenomenal concept shit execution!! I'd value it at 500 - 700 tops lol definitely not 2499.

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from Stef95:

Maybe you prefer the original LE topper?? pathetic.

Not an either or; they can both look like shit.

#81 1 year ago

It does look pretty bad, anyone wanting to sell their slot?

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

if the goal was maximize profit they should have made 25 @ $5k and 5 @$10k. Instead of grossing $175k, the gross would become $1.75M for 10 x winning (tiger blood). No, I believe the motive was to be artsy and to sell an awesome topper in a way that made sense for them to offer it. I’m satisfied with the 100 @$2.5k and believe there was another 50 they could have made/sold but left on the table. Bottom line, this was not a money grab, it was Elite’s contribution to the pinball landscape. Great going Elite Team![quoted image]

A $2500 topper was not a money grab!!! REALLY

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from russdx:A $2500 topper was not a money grab!!! REALLY

Not really considering the market....limited edition toppers are going for crazy money these days....look at the TWD topper ($1500-2K) or many of the other Stern toppers....I know its nuts, but its the current market + JJP toppers for the most part are crap (with the exception to the POTC CE)

#84 1 year ago

Loose the screen & moving waves....

Keep the sunken boat, moving tentacles and still ones, add some iridescent blue flashing strips coming from under the ship, $750 topps....

...I'm all in.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from russdx:

A $2500 topper was not a money grab!!! REALLY

Correct it is not a money grab by any definition. If you meant selling high end products, then we should look at Stern. Them making EHOH premiums, LE’s and CE’s and each week they sellout of whatever they’ve made and they are paid in full at time of sales. That is a lucrative business with a near monopoly. Now them deciding to run special edition 40th anniversary for $15k, after making minimal changes and stealing the parts destined for building existing premium buyers’ games. That might be the poster child of a money grab.

Back to Elite. Their topper was in high demand and it will take a lot of effort still to make and ship. It is a high end accessory on an unnecessary toy. Comparing what is in this topper with other $600-$1000 others at release, you will see 2-5x the amount of stuff crammed in. Is this a first in a new category of super-toppers? But you have to admit it is pretty nice. Maybe do this or that slightly differently, but it is a final product and it will be judged against others as is. But that reminds me, CGC is known for having top toppers. AFMr and MMr toppers are all beauties and each cost roughly $2,500, as does the newest CCr topper. So that is a total of 4 toppers greater than $2500 at msrp and maybe there is a super-topper category being made.

#86 1 year ago

I'm a PoTC owner. This topper IMO, is way over rated at $2,500.

I considered the IJ at $2,500, but couldn't justify it even at that cost.

I did however, spring for the Stern EHOH topper at $1,000.

I'm not dogging those who dropped the money on this on, especially those who truly like / love it for their game.

I think the flippers might need to consider a different investment strategy than this topper.

#87 1 year ago

How much is the Stern EHOH Topper now?

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm a PoTC owner. This topper IMO, is way over rated at $2,500.
I considered the IJ at $2,500, but couldn't justify it even at that cost.
I did however, spring for the Stern EHOH topper at $1,000.
I'm not dogging those who dropped the money on this on, especially those who truly like / love it for their game.
I think the flippers might need to consider a different investment strategy than this topper.

If it sits for sale long enough we will see. Long term? Value on pinball stuff keeps rising. High tide raises all ships.

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Are you saying that if they produced a few extra toppers people will have no interest?
People already are asking to buy them.

If I was them.. I would have made 250 of them.. Who cares about the ocean eyebrows, just cash in.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

How can I relate this to cars?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#91 1 year ago

This makes me sad for humanity.

2 weeks later
#92 1 year ago

I ordered the topper on release day. My card was charged in full. When I log on to the website it says no orders under my profile. I’ve sent them a few emails and never got a response. Don’t have a good feeling about elite …

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I ordered the topper on release day. My card was charged in full. When I log on to the website it says no orders under my profile. I’ve sent them a few emails and never got a response. Don’t have a good feeling about elite …

Same thing happened when I ordered my IJ topper. Took a few days but they got back to me. If card was charged your in.

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Same thing happened when I ordered my IJ topper. Took a few days but they got back to me. If card was charged your in.

Great thanks!

#95 1 year ago

Ordered on release day, I received shipping (UPS) notification today.

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from evh347:

Ordered on release day, I received shipping (UPS) notification today.

Nice! My number is in the 60’s

#97 1 year ago

Got the topper today via UPS. Sadly, I will have to wait to open/install it.

My pins are in the process of getting broken down and wrapped for their journey to the new house (3 months to close).

43C1A8D3-3874-4FDE-8597-AE01033E739C (resized).jpeg43C1A8D3-3874-4FDE-8597-AE01033E739C (resized).jpeg
#98 1 year ago
Quoted from evh347:

Got the topper today via UPS. Sadly, I will have to wait to open/install it.
My pins are in the process of getting broken down and wrapped for their journey to the new house (3 months to close).[quoted image]

You Sir, have the patience of a Saint!

#99 1 year ago

Agree, but must be a little curious =)
Did they tell you your number when you ordered it?

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Did they tell you your number when you ordered it?

Nope.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-potc-topper-by-elite-pinball-toppers/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.